• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
so lucario's smash is pretty annoying, I'm guessing kirby can't punish it very well and i have a hard time getting around the move. any suggestions on how to deal with it?
I'm guessing fsmash.

If it is fsmash, then what I do is I ftilt. If you're close enough, it clanks with his fsmash. If you see him fsmashing and are cloe enough, ftilt away! If you're not close enough, shield. Since our ftilt is faster than his fsmash by a very notable margin, you have enough time to decide whether to ftilt or shield. Practice makes perfect!

Or, you can just play footsies all day, and bait him into fsmashing then bair him from your aircamping position.

:phone:

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
whoops forgot the f before the smash lol. thanks kewkky i'll have to try those out tonight. i didn't know our ftilt clanks with his fsmash. does it clank even when lucario has a lot of aura?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
whoops forgot the f before the smash lol. thanks kewkky i'll have to try those out tonight. i didn't know our ftilt clanks with his fsmash. does it clank even when lucario has a lot of aura?
Yep, as long as your ftilt's hitbox touches Lucario's hand it will clank. Remember that your ftilt is disjointed, so it has more range than it seems! Still, don't depend on it too much, if Lucario has full aura and you have 70%+, I'm quite sure the smart thing to do would be to NOT approach from the front, lol.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
You best bet is probably just to bait it and fast-fall bair it. Just make sure your timing is right, because right ouf of fsmash is Lucario is 9 out of ten times going to shield if they see you coming from the air and then they'll most likely grab you and f-throw you away, especially if they have a ton of aura.

If you're godlike, you can read the f-smash from a mile away, land behind them and f-smash like a boss.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
What should I follow up with F-throw? Whenever I get the grab on any character, I usually do dthrow>utilt>regrab>dthrow, which is bad because it only works on fast-fallers at low percents. I want to know how to use F-throw better and use Dthrow less, especially since
Tr!ple R
combo'd me with Fthrow until 50% once in dittos.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
At the begining f throw uair regrab f throw reverse u tilit bair then after that its usually a guessing game

My fave is to grab a D3 and do f throw uair f throw uair fthrow air hammer
But the D3 has to not just try to land if they jump they get hit

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Always follow up F-throw with Uair unless they're above 13%. F-throw -> Aerial Hammer is a nice mix-up on unsuspecting players that are ~13% - I myself land it quite often :colorful:

@0%, try Fthrow -> Utilt -> Bair -> B-reverse Inhale. It's a very nice way to do some extra damage and put your opponent in a bad position with spit-out (or take their ability if it's good!).

At ~20% - 25%, you can go for a rising Fair after Fthrow and follow that up with Aerial Hammer, Bair, another Fair, or Uair.

And then there's the little problem of almost everyone knowing how to DI Uair. For that, try landing and doing a rising Uair, doing an upward angled Ftilt, or sit and wait for a chance to punish and extend your string. It's a giant guessing game, really.

I hope this helps!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Hai guys.

What's the best thing to do against your f-smash and up B?

I use Zelderp btw.

Planning to use her for a upcoming tourney, and there's this really bayd Kirby player who just F-smashes and up's on the ledge, and I'd like to know how to deal with these.

Many thanks. <3

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Shield.

If you shield Fsmash you should be able to punish with Dtilt, your own Fsmash, Hyphen U-smash, Grab, etc....

If you shield all of Up-B, you can do pretty much the same stuff you can do after shielding F-smash.

Hope this helps!

Triple R

Smash Lord
Hai guys.

What's the best thing to do against your f-smash and up B?

I use Zelderp btw.

Planning to use her for a upcoming tourney, and there's this really bayd Kirby player who just F-smashes and up's on the ledge, and I'd like to know how to deal with these.

Many thanks. <3
This is kinda confusing. Is he actually bad or not? When you use 'bayd' you might be sarcastic, you might not. I'm going to assume he's bad if he, 'just F-smashes and up's on the ledge."

Like Kappy said, just shield it. Fsmash is really bad on shield. Anyone can punish it if they shield it. Plus the times he wants to Fsmash shouldn't be hard to spot. Upb is kind of a bad move. If he's just ledge camping with it, just hit him out of it. As he goes up, just zelda kick him or something. If he's doing it on stage, shield.

Those two moves are the least of your worries. You should be worried about bair, utilt, uair, and grabs.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I know you guys just got finished talking about Inhale, but what do you think about Falco's lasers? I messed with them for a bit and they seem pretty good, y'know, shortcomings of Copy notwithstanding

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Shield.

If you shield Fsmash you should be able to punish with Dtilt, your own Fsmash, Hyphen U-smash, Grab, etc....

If you shield all of Up-B, you can do pretty much the same stuff you can do after shielding F-smash.

Hope this helps!
This is generally what I've been doing, but Iunno. The silly move trolls my shield so hard. lol

This is kinda confusing. Is he actually bad or not? When you use 'bayd' you might be sarcastic, you might not. I'm going to assume he's bad if he, 'just F-smashes and up's on the ledge."

Like Kappy said, just shield it. Fsmash is really bad on shield. Anyone can punish it if they shield it. Plus the times he wants to Fsmash shouldn't be hard to spot. Upb is kind of a bad move. If he's just ledge camping with it, just hit him out of it. As he goes up, just zelda kick him or something. If he's doing it on stage, shield.

Those two moves are the least of your worries. You should be worried about bair, utilt, uair, and grabs.
Yeah, he's really bad.

The only reason I'm worried is because the stuff he does is so unpredictable, it's weird.

Though surprisingly he knows to float above me and bait me into up-smashing, then he bairs me. lulz

Anyway, thanks for your help guys. <3

I'm gonna try some of this stuff later.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
@YarsRevengerson: Falco's lasers are, IMO, Kirby's best copy ability. He can SHTL (Short Hop Triple Laser), and if you're close enough that leads into grab or any of Kirby's tilts. Also, abusing his lasers to catch Falco makes gimping him that much easier, and if you're lucky you can catch him trying to land on the stage and Fsmash him. You can also perform a silent laser to Usmash or Dsmash.

It's also great on shield and on the ledge (you can ledge hop SHTL back onto the stage), and you can bait a Falco to start using his reflector with them or bait Spot Dodges.

The best part? Kirby can camp.

In doubles, they're ridiculous. Imagine you facing someone who doesn't have a reflector and can't reflect SHTL. I honestly think it destroys them because of how much better they are than Falco's SHDL.

In singles against Falco, they can be a great asset, but make sure you can land the inhale.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That's nice to know Maharba, but uhh... Why not the, you know, general discussion? :confused:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Ok, quick question before I try this out in a tournament environment. So I watched the >>>Anti-Planking Video<<< from the Metagame Minute series. After watching it, it a character has 13 frames to hit MK out of his planking U-air. So with this, I looked at what Kirby has at his disposal. Given the position that we get placed out of the technique shown in the video I have come to terms that a D-air or a fast falled b-air would suffice. Unfortunalty, D-air has sooo much start up, so that attack is out. F-air, U-air, N-air are quick enough but use your imagination and find out why they are bad choices =V. B-air is quick enough for the job but it seems we might have to fast fall it. So can that work or do we just have the option to grab the ledge. Then again there is always mindgames, haha. So, any thoughts? :ohwell:

Edit: Nevermind, I tried it out. Don't think it works. Aw well... -.-

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I would say it'd work, but the problem is Bair's hitbox doesn't reach MK/Marth/etc... before they can react and hit us. If Kirby's Dair was a bit faster, we'd definitely have a powerful spiking tool at our disposal for anti-planking. Too bad it's not :(

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I've never really seen anyone mention it but against Diddy; has anyone ever done a banana lock using 2 bananas utilizing Kirby's Jump Canceled Boost Tosses (on a flat plain like Final Destination)? You know like the way Diddy can banana lock using his Glide Tosses? I've done it a couple times unless they were flukes or just luck. :ohwell:

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
Uhm this is just a question for utilizing kirby tilts besides utilt cus I have an issue using his ftilt and dtilt in fear of them not being safe options like the utilt so when are the best times to put out on f or dtilt

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Spamming D-Tilt when facing them and they're shielding it is fairly safe depending on the character. If they stop shielding or side-step they will eventually get hit by 1 or even 2 if the first trips. If you pull off a trip, free F-Smash or Grab in most cases. Hell, I'd say D-Tilt is nearly as safe as U-Tilt because of your even shorter height, you can pull so much gimmicky stuff with crouching on Kirby.

F-Tilts are a bit iffy, its better as a "wtf did you just hit me with" move, just throw it out when they least expect it...that's really all I can say for F-tilt. Though one follow up I do with f-tilt is the f-throw combos at early percent, some people might avoid a f-smash or some other follow up, but f-tilt can hit them. By f-throw combos though, I tend to mean for characters where you can pull off 2 f-throw strings, end that with an f-tilt. Otherwise, gonzo that ****.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
King of Hoboz is right... until he said "gonzo". People SDI the uair really well these days, we can only get one grab only if we're fthrowing. So, try fthrow>uair>up-angled ftilt as an alternative!

Ftilt is our grounded spacing move, and a good one it is. If bair is too risky, ftilt will save your butt a lot.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Pfft, 08 baby; best of times. But yeah, F-tilt spaces well for Kirby...long as you're not going against someone who's spaces even more ridiculously (damn you Marth! *shake fist*)

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
King of Hoboz is right... until he said "gonzo". People SDI the uair really well these days, we can only get one grab only if we're fthrowing. So, try fthrow>uair>up-angled ftilt as an alternative!

Ftilt is our grounded spacing move, and a good one it is. If bair is too risky, ftilt will save your butt a lot.
Or you could perform a quick rising uair after the first uair from the fthrow. That works for me every time. You could also try tracking down to where you think your opponent will land, or stand your ground and hope to punish them with another shielded grab if they land too close/at you with an aerial attack or air dodge from them. Just putting out my two cents there.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Or you could perform a quick rising uair after the first uair from the fthrow. That works for me every time. You could also try tracking down to where you think your opponent will land, or stand your ground and hope to punish them with another shielded grab if they land too close/at you with an aerial attack or air dodge from them. Just putting out my two cents there.
Those aren't guaranteed though, most people simply DI away and doublejump out of reach. It leaves our follow-up options limited to like 3 good ones, which would be:

*fthrow > uair > up-angled ftilt, works almost every time (I haven't seen a time it hasn't worked)

*fthrow > uair > reverse utilt > bair, works a lot more than it should, and it's safer than missing a grab or an aerial, since utilt is one of our fastest moves and is very safe.

*fthrow > rising fair > uair, mostly for mid to mid-high %s, I'm getting the feeling it's guaranteed on certain characters if they momentum cancel. Dunno if they can airdodge out of it, it's never failed for me, even works on MK.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting that are almost (if not, are) guaranteed, but those 3 are the ones that pop in my mind.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Those aren't guaranteed though, most people simply DI away and doublejump out of reach. It leaves our follow-up options limited to like 3 good ones, which would be:

*fthrow > uair > up-angled ftilt, works almost every time (I haven't seen a time it hasn't worked)

*fthrow > uair > reverse utilt > bair, works a lot more than it should, and it's safer than missing a grab or an aerial, since utilt is one of our fastest moves and is very safe.

*fthrow > rising fair > uair, mostly for mid to mid-high %s, I'm getting the feeling it's guaranteed on certain characters if they momentum cancel. Dunno if they can airdodge out of it, it's never failed for me, even works on MK.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting that are almost (if not, are) guaranteed, but those 3 are the ones that pop in my mind.
Yeah, it's definitely not guaranteed that they'll land near you after they've been uair'd from the fthrow or whatever, but I've actually gotten a few good "chain grabs," if you'll call it that, out of doing so before, by having overly aggressive players make the mistake to land near me or attack into my shield afterward, usually being when they're aggravated that I'm one or two stocks ahead and trying to go in for the kill. It's a fun way to punish overzealous gameplay and just to try and mix things up once in a while, but yeah, it's mostly based on good reading.

The second technique you listed there would definitely be the one that I use most, yeah (unless they're a character like Bowser, Captain Falcon, a space furry, etc., in which case, I go for the Gonzo Technique, hoping that they don't SDI in time). It just about never fails as you said, and if they SDI out of it, then I just go straight for a rising uair instead of a reversed utilt, and that gets them every time too, just about, so it really limits their options altogether. Another good one is that when they're usually at around 15-20%-ish, to perform an uair again (rising) after the first one from an fthrow, just like you would had they SDI'd the uair the first time at 0%. That inevitably works every time as well.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
how can i fully take advantage of Kirby's forward tilt? maybe there is even possibly a video of a kirby using forward tilt well? I read that it is a great move but whenever i try and use it my opponent just shields and punishes it.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
how can i fully take advantage of Kirby's forward tilt? maybe there is even possibly a video of a kirby using forward tilt well? I read that it is a great move but whenever i try and use it my opponent just shields and punishes it.
You can use your F-tilt:

-to punish something that gives you a small window of opportunity. Every once in a while your opponent will be in a position where he's left vulnerable (hits your shield or whatever). Most players might go "Yay, I can/wanna smash attack them!" only to get shielded and punished themselves. This is where your F-tilt or any other tilt will come into play.

-counter your opponents smash attacks. If you ever notice someone trying to KO you with a Smash Attack. You can use your F-tilt to out-speed them. In other words, F-tilt is faster than say all of G&W's smash attacks or most of any other characters smash attacks. This tactic though requires a bit of reading your opponent.

-to try to add a little more umph to a combo/string. Like stated before, after a D-air. Other options include after a fast-falled sour-spotted B-air or after possibly after our Gonzo Combo (F-throw>U-air @ fresh percents) as long as you tilt it upward.

That's pretty much a basic look on the move. There's lot of little windows you can throw out a F-tilt but one will learn that through experience. Space your F-tilt so that the chances of you getting grabbed every time are reduced. Zzzzzzz... :tired:

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
Ftilt is fast, has decent range... but one of those weird attacks, I'll admit (mostly because I don't think Kirby has much use with it, some may disagree). I personally find down tilt to be a lot better in situations where you will use forward tilt for many reasons, but this is about the use of Ftilt so I won't go into that.

Basically, I personally would not use Ftilt as a damage racking move. I would use it a lot like back air, like a spacing move. I don't find much use in it myself, but it gets people away from you, that's all that matters.

Besides this general use for using it out of nowhere, you can also use it in place of Fsmash if you plan to kill with a forward smash. Ftilt is a lot faster and you can angle it the same way, which covers a little bit more than dtilt, making easy to combo with. This is a lot weirder to use than his Dtilt and his Utilt. Using it can be tricky but it can be the key to winning a game if used correctly.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
D-tilt is better than F-tilt ... if it hits. F-tilt has a wider hitbox to it's attack and can be angled high and low. The advantage of D-tilt is that it hits a frame sooner and has a quicker IASA (ending lag).

F-tilt really should do more damage. :\

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Are you talking about when you land and instead of going into your standing animation you jump instead? LOL.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Only way I know is with sideB. As soon as it's ending, if you're about to enter the landing animation, your 2nd jump resets. Timing's pretty strict, but no even close to impossible.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
You can do it with anything. LOL. I've done it with Bair, Uair, after F-Throw, and after B-Throw before, and I've even done it with other characters, too. It's more annoying than useful, IMO.

Top Bottom