• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'm the exception and the standard, the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end, when this world turns to dust I will still be here and I was here when it was created, the legend, the myth, the epic, BOW BEFORE MY AWESOMENESS FOR I AM

......****, that doesn't describe me at all....oh well I'll just go with it.

I AM JOWIICIDE! <--See that 'cide part? No inb4s.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I use the Wiichuck :D And my button layout is weird according to most people. I have Dpad Up as Usmash, Dpad Left/Right as Side Smash, and Dpad Down as Grab. Everything else is normal Wiichuck controls. LOL. Oh, and I have Tap Jump on.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Guys, lemme ask a situational question

Lets say you catch someone on the right platform of Battlefield. They're returning to the stage and you have stage control. The shield upon landing to protect themselves from Kirby's stage control (in which you'd punish recoveries lol). UAir shark? If they're close enough to the ledge of the platform though, I tend to go onto the platform and attack w/ FSmash or DAirHC>DSmash which they obviously shield because it's their best option on such a small platform w/o stage control.
Generally when they get hit by any of these options it pushes them off the platform and they hit the stage.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT?!??????

They'll either roll towards the edge (obviously not a good option as I'll just get them off the stage again), roll towards me (also not a good option because I can true pivot or DSmash) or standing get up which is generally the option most chosen. My only problem is the DSmash that pushed them off has enough cooldown that by the time I get down there, they're mid-get up and I'm not sure how to punish them. And if my FSmash gets them to fall off the platform, I'm not sure where to be to punish, and what to punish them w/.

Now obviously there is no correct way to punish, but I want to know you guys opinions.

Discuss!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
((This is all assuming you're ON the platform))

I'd Dair, drop down AD -> Utilt, Ftilt, or Utilt, AD- > Grab, or Bair.

If they're at low %, I'd go for the Dair -> Re-grab or Utilt.

If they're mid %, I'd grab, Filt, or Dtilt and hope for a trip for a follow-up Fsmash. Even if there's no trip, you could sneak in an Ftilt after it and get them off-stage, and the crouching will help avoid a Normal Getup -> Grab when against certain characters.

At high %, I'd def go for a Dtilt, Ftilt, or if they're at a high enough %, grab to Uthrow.

Now, there's probably more you could do. You could anticipate a grab, spot dodge, and grab or attack, or shield an attack they might throw at you and punish that accordingly.

There's my 2 cents :colorful:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
@ Kappy- .....>_> Did you go try this situation out in training mode or something else? Or are you theorizing? Because A. I don't understand what your post was trying to say and B. I need to know realistically if I have enough time and C. If you've been in this situation enough to have a stance.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I need certain types of answers.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I'd probably run towards center stage and do a falling B-air, to be honest with ya. It helps me maintain stage control, but you do bring a valid point in wondering if you have the time to punish. =V

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Ya see, last night when it happened I dropped down and reversed in order to be able to UTilt or BAir, but I got hit because he reacted from the fall too quickly.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I personally do the same as MikeKirby: Run after him ASAP and bair him. If it's a character like Marth, I run in his direction while stil staying on the platform, shield so I don't fall and to avoid his attack, then once he attacks and hits my shield, I run down and bair him. It all depends on if the opponent can act before he hits the floor. Oh, and if he techs the floor, since bair doesn't have much landing lag, I just techchase into a shieldgrab.

I really do this though, it's not just to sound cool. I feel cool while using Kirby! :D

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
So basically there's no worthwhile punish.

Fml. That's so lame. Well I guess I'll just figure something out.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Hmm... but why'd you land on the platform and push him off when a sharking U-air is practically safe no matter what the opponent does? (Probably just JoWii mixing tactics up.) It also might push them off the platform, although they could read that and aerial you as soon as they tumble.:ohwell:

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I jump up to push them off because if they don't tech the landing, it means I have an oppurtunity to punish. If I just UAir shark, then can shield and jump away. It's less about what's 'safe' than what's most effective.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Well, you said they were in the middle of their get-up as you were falling down, right? I'm just visualizing it in my head because I have been in many situations with a normal get-up. Dair, shielding, and crouching -> Dtilt I actually have done, but nothing else.

I don't actually use Dsmash or Fsmash to push someone off a platform, though. I use jabs, and then drop down as they're falling. If I see an AD or something like that, I'll grab, and if they prat fall, I'll start a jab lock. And yes, I have tested this in training mode. I decided to do it one day when I was bored. LOL. Unfortunately, actually landing that jab to knock someone off a platform is hard to do :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Guys, lemme ask a situational question

Lets say you catch someone on the right platform of Battlefield. They're returning to the stage and you have stage control. The shield upon landing to protect themselves from Kirby's stage control (in which you'd punish recoveries lol). UAir shark? If they're close enough to the ledge of the platform though, I tend to go onto the platform and attack w/ FSmash or DAirHC>DSmash which they obviously shield because it's their best option on such a small platform w/o stage control.
Generally when they get hit by any of these options it pushes them off the platform and they hit the stage.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT?!??????

They'll either roll towards the edge (obviously not a good option as I'll just get them off the stage again), roll towards me (also not a good option because I can true pivot or DSmash) or standing get up which is generally the option most chosen. My only problem is the DSmash that pushed them off has enough cooldown that by the time I get down there, they're mid-get up and I'm not sure how to punish them. And if my FSmash gets them to fall off the platform, I'm not sure where to be to punish, and what to punish them w/.

Now obviously there is no correct way to punish, but I want to know you guys opinions.

Discuss!
If they're in shield on the platform, then I say Fsmash, since it will push them off the platform, but will also push you off, and unlike them you get no tumbling animation, so free Bair/Nair, and maybe even air hammer depending on the character.

Generally if they're on the platform and I'm below (especially if they're trying to land) I'll Usmash, since people don't seem to expect it, and even if they do, they can't really do much about it. If they're near the edge of the platform, they get knocked off and you get an easy punish too (On characters like MK, Lucario, etc. who cannot tech when they get knocked off a platform by shieldpush with their back facing away from the platform, it's a free grounded hammer. That's how I landed one on M2K (Only time that will ever happen, but I'm too proud of it to ever let it go.)).

This is all assuming you missed the punish for the landing lag though, since you have 2 frames to punish before their shield comes out if I remember right.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You got F-Smash, and Final Cutters Projectile.
Maybe a pivot grab. Hmmm...
Pivot grab if it's near the ground, Usmash (I think, not sure), inhale, Fair, and Bair if you come from above (doesn't matter if it's at an angle), Dair, Uair and Nair if you're coming from straight above.
Maybe air hammer too, but don't even try that.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yep, his neutral B, the beybladeMach Tornado. Lots of our things break it, its only useful for MK if he's intercepting us when we're committed to an attack.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Basically, if he's coming from afar or below, we always win. If he uses it smartly though, we usually don't have time to react and position ourselves to beat it.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
When I was watching a tourney this weekend Chu was playing in Dubz and everytime a MK was on the ledge he would Fsmash at them angling down and usually it would hit does this only work for certain recoverys that MKs do or is this a general good way to kill someone

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's a general good way of killing someone. It reaches a bit lower than the ledge, so by looking at Kirby's foot and where it reaches, people don't expect it to hit.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I'm usually to scared to go near an MK at the edge... that U-air... By the way, do they trade blows? Y'know, down angled F-smash at the edge vs MK's ledge drop hopped U-air.

Probably do, but I just never tried it. :embarrass:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nope, our fsmash and his uair dont trade blows. Nothing trades blows with MK's aerials.. Sad huh? Unless MK does some horrible mistake and exposes his body by doing a uair higher than he should, high enough so that out fsmash hits it while his uair hits us, there's no chance that our fsmash can hit him while he does his ledge game.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
More importantly, he should still have ledge invulnerability while doing ledge-drop Uair. (Hint, ledge-drop Bair WHILE YOU STILL HAVE LEDGE INVULNERABILITY is a good way to intercept MK offstage.)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Meta Knight can get two U-air hitboxes out before he loses intangibility from the ledge. Kirby doesn't have a chance to even trade hits with his F-smash before he drops out of range.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
He's invincible when Ledge Dropping. He can do whatever he wants.

Usually it's going to be [Ledge Drop -> U-air] to distance himself vertically while attacking, or it's going to be a [Ledge Drop -> Mid Air Jump -> F-air] at which point he can retreat back to the ledge and regain invincibility or land on the stage and get his feet back on the ground.

But, yeah, F-smash isn't going to win anything unless he sits on the ledge too long and does nothing.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
If anything, if you find a Meta Knight that likes to Ledge Drop > Mid-air jump to a Tornado back on stage, then you can go ahead and shove your foot in his face. :lol:

GraphiK

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I've been working on doing my utilt reversal but about 65-70% of the times I try it, I end up doing an usmash. Any pointers or is this just a practice, practice, practice type thing?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Its more of a practice sort of thing. Don't slam up on the control stick, but instead move it up at a slower pace, or else the game will take it as you're trying to usmash.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If you're using default (Tap Jump On), then it can be more likely to read the U-tilt as a U-smash. This is because "Up" will be read as "Jump" and the Attack will then be read as a "Jump-Cancel-Up-Smash". Make sure to tilt the control stick slightly when going for your U-tilt w/ Tap Jump On.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
He's invincible when Ledge Dropping. He can do whatever he wants.

Usually it's going to be [Ledge Drop -> U-air] to distance himself vertically while attacking, or it's going to be a [Ledge Drop -> Mid Air Jump -> F-air] at which point he can retreat back to the ledge and regain invincibility or land on the stage and get his feet back on the ground.

But, yeah, F-smash isn't going to win anything unless he sits on the ledge too long and does nothing.
By the time he gets up there though, the Fair's not invincible anymore. If I remember correctly, Fair gets no invincibility since the jump eats 4 frames of the 5 or 6 (I think) ledge invulnerability frames.

Hey everyone, I've been working on doing my utilt reversal but about 65-70% of the times I try it, I end up doing an usmash. Any pointers or is this just a practice, practice, practice type thing?
What they said. Buffering the turnaround helps too.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
No problem! Now all you have to do is practice it in the heat of a match, getting Kirby to do it whenever you want to.

GraphiK

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I've been trying to do it while a match is going on and I still need work. In the safety of practice mode though, I'm a force to be reckoned with! :D

This may be a silly question but, what is hup-canceling?

Top Bottom