• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The startup of a grab is 1-5, the grab box comes out at 6, and it ends at like 35-40 frames... Don't remember the endlag, sorry!

I'll see where I can find you the info. I'll edit my post with what I can find.

Edit: Here we go!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258564 <= jump squat frame data, and ledge frame data for all characters, as well as links to each character's frame data threads.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244329 <= Character traits/mechanics

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162546 <= Character weight and fall speed

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167952 <= Character's analyzed horizontal aerial movement speed

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217806 <= Shield information

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236133 <= Startup frames on character's grabs, roll/spotdodge/airdodge frame data, and other miscellaneous frame stuff

That's all I found... I couldn't find anything about the whole duration of characters' grabs, sorry! :\

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
New QUESTION!!!
Anywho, I'm trying to adapt to tap jump on from using tap jump off and jumping with X button. I did this to use uptilt more easily. Now I'm trying to use tap jump on to use bairs and other aerials more easily. But i find when i try to uptilt, even when moving the joystick slowly, I upsmash or jump and up-air. Any tips to help do uptilts more fluidly or any other "kirby tap jump on" tips?

thanks forum for kirbs

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> Finesse?

I have the same problem and whenever I play w/ tap jump on as Kirby I switch to the 'claw' grip. Using your index and thumb on your left hand to move the control stick. The control stick rest on top of my thumb and under the middle knuckle of my index finger and it gives a large degree of control.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
>_> Finesse?

I have the same problem and whenever I play w/ tap jump on as Kirby I switch to the 'claw' grip. Using your index and thumb on your right hand to move the control stick. The control stick rest on top of my thumb and under the middle knuckle of my index finger and it gives a large degree of control.
I don't know if i'm familiar with claw grip, but is the joystick on the left side of the gc controller? wouldn't you need the right hand to use a,b,y,x, and r?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Joystick = control stick and it's the grey joystick on the left side of the GC controller. The other side functions like you'd normally hold the controller. Practice it a few times.

Ah! I see the error. I just edited it

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
Joystick = control stick and it's the grey joystick on the left side of the GC controller. The other side functions like you'd normally hold the controller. Practice it a few times.

Ah! I see the error. I just edited it
kk cool i'll try it out, thank
btw, i agree, kirbycide is the answer

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Utilting with Tap Jump on is actually really, really easy! While you can do the 'claw grip' like JoWii is suggesting, if that isn't your style, there's a trick to doing Utilt normally.

What you're probably doing (and what most people do when trying to Utilt with Tap Jump on) is pressing the joystick up as far as it can go. That's the problem. Unless you move really slow, it'll read it as a jump or a smash.

So, the trick is to move the joystick up a little bit. It's hard to show, but I think you'll get it. It'll always give you an Utilt. Try that if JoWii's suggestion doesn't work out for you.

Hope that helps :D

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
Utilting with Tap Jump on is actually really, really easy! While you can do the 'claw grip' like JoWii is suggesting, if that isn't your style, there's a trick to doing Utilt normally.

What you're probably doing (and what most people do when trying to Utilt with Tap Jump on) is pressing the joystick up as far as it can go. That's the problem. Unless you move really slow, it'll read it as a jump or a smash.

So, the trick is to move the joystick up a little bit. It's hard to show, but I think you'll get it. It'll always give you an Utilt. Try that if JoWii's suggestion doesn't work out for you.

Hope that helps :D
Yea, I usually do move it all the way up, I was trying moving it up a little bit, but i'm sure I'd need a clip or a pic of it to see what you're saying. I'll try the claw first, we'll see <('?')^

Triple R

Smash Lord
Kappy speaks the truth. Utilting with tap jump on is really really easy. You just need to practice. There really is no secret to it. This is more of a smash basic thing that is not specific to Kirby or for even Brawl. If you cannot do it, practice. How do you think people do just fine in 64 and Melee. Let's get some real kirby questions in here.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lol @ all this tap jump stuff... What do you need it on for for Kirby anyway?

As for secondaries, Wolf works well, Mk is an obvious one, Falco isn't bad, Snake's good. Um... Not entirely sure who else. Most of the characters who cover Kirby's bad Mus are better mained than seconded, Wolf being the exception. Those 2 work well because Kirby covers the Mus that make Wolf unviable (pika, Sheik, Falco and D3), and Wolf does well against all of Kirby's bad Mus (Marth, Ics, Snake, Mk, G&W, Olimar).

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I'd say outside of MK, Falco and DDD are probably the best characters to have in your back pocket. Falco is great against projectile users, campy players and superior mobility characters. Honestly D3 is great to though because he covers sooooooo many MUs. He has almost no learning curb to get good w/ him (Falco does) and he's similar to Kirbs play stay in that he grabs a LOT, BAirs frequently, has multi jump and a semi-decent recovery.

Those are my suggestions.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is there a thread will all of Kirby's combos??
Nope, sorry man... It's just that the point between "combos" and "strings" is kinda thin in Brawl. Then again, there's quite a couple of strings+combos here and there... Naming them shouldn't be a big deal, although there's quite a nice number of strings to name, and some don't work for people yet work for others...

I think we tried naming all our combos/strings before, but went nowhere because we couldn't agree on what stringed/combo'd together and what didn't.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Timmy's thread has most of Kirby's strings if you wanna take a look, lordhelmet. LOL.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Timmy's thread has most of Kirby's strings if you wanna take a look, lordhelmet. LOL.
That's just from Timmy's point of view. I remember looking at some of them and going D:, so it's not really an actual thread with all of Kirby's combos/strings. I dunno, guess I need to see a successful unified attempt at creating a thread like that to earn the title of "String/Combo thread" in my eyes.

By all means, lordhelmet can check it out though. It probably helps newcomer Kirbies more than veteran mainers think it does, which would put me in the wrong. :\

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I can definitely see where you're coming from. It's not a 'Combo/String' thread, it's a comprehensive guide. But, he does list a lot of what I see ChuDat, Y.b.M, and (pretty much) every other Kirby main use often. XD

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Let me apologize Lord Helmet.

I do the MUs as well so I know how getting all the info can be hard sometimes. Unfortunately we don't have a list but thanks for your contributions to our MU discussion.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
All of Kirby's strings strings can be performed on every character. They're strings, not combos. The only real 'combos' I, personally, consider Kirby to have are Fthrow -> Uair and Utilt -> Bair.

If you're looking for specifics for Falcon, such as out-prioritizing moves, inhale tricks, and other various things that are Falcon specific for Kirby, then I'd check the specific MU thread.

I know it's not specified, but I'm pretty sure it's implied almost all strings can be performed on all characters. The only string that doesn't come to mind is Dthrow -> Utilt because some characters can get out of it and some can't.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just so you know, some chars can get out of Fthrow>uair and Utilt>bair.
We have no universal combos.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
You're right, I forgot the characters who can use UpB before the Uair. LOL. And Jigglypuff for Utilt -> Bair.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Most characters with sex kicks can get out of both too (mario, Luigi, Sheik, Yoshi, etc).

camden

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Marth is the best example I can think of. He can Dolphin Slash right out of the throw, or better yet, just jump away. If you read the Dolphin Slash (Why would someone do this!?!? @_@) and just back off after the throw, you can punish the Slash depending on the nearby platform situation. The best thing for Marth to do is just jump away and start over. :\ Advice, just dthrow Marth. More damage. :)

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Yeah, Marth is the best example I can think of. He can Dolphin Slash right out of the throw, or better yet, just jump away. If you read the Dolphin Slash (Why would someone do this!?!? @_@) and just back off after the throw, you can punish the Slash depending on the nearby platform situation. The best thing for Marth to do is just jump away and start over. :\ Advice, just dthrow Marth. More damage. :)
No one can jump away.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Also starting at I think at around 30% Marth can DI away and tipper Fair Kirby out of Dthrow, so it's not ideal either.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Well hello my fellow pink puff ball star warriors.

I have a question.

What is my fellow pink brigade's opnion on pivot moves with kirby?

i find utilt pivots really awesome, but not really needed.
I've tried a piviot utilt to Down B rock, but i can never seem to get it right.

also, another question, i know kirby's n-air isn't the fastest nor the best approach but i like to use it and it's better then just going "xd f-tilt or bair lol"

so.. what does the kirbies think about the n-air?

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> If you check out the Olimar MU then you can see that I find NAir to be a good approach in that MU. I also like it against Marth but that's personal preference.

Also, don't use rock unless you're on a slant that'll carry you away OR unless you're offscreen above the stage w/ someone pursuing you. The lag @ the end isn't worth the damage you may or may not land.

Pivot grab is great, and so is reverseUTilt.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Reverse Utilt -> Rock will never work unless your opponent decides to just sit there and wave at you. LOL.

Like JoWii said, rock should only be used on a slant or if someone's being too aggressive while you're above the screen. You can also use it to edge guard.

I use Nair very rarely - actually, I never use it unless I need a quick hit, am facing my opponent, and I feel that Fair will put me in a bad spot. You can also use it to punish a roll or spotdodge, and the light hit of it is very good for starting jab locks if you find your opponent not teching the ground. Personally, I use it to taunt.

Oh, and against Olimar it's also very good: I've never used it as an approach, but it's great for throwing off pikmin.

It's not a move you can just throw out while spacing like Bair. There are very specific uses for it, because if you just throw it out you will most likely be punished.

Top Bottom