• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It's when you use dair so close to the ground that the attack doesn't start, but you still hear Kirby go "HUP". The attack is cancelled so you get no landing lag at all from simply jumping and hup-cancelling. Here in the Kirby boards, I guess you could say it's our own inside joke! In all seriousness though, it has no uses except getting Kirby to say "Hup!", and that's it. Although some people claim to use it as mindgames I still don't see it safe enough to be useful there either.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, I still think it's a good mindgame. It makes people rush in to punish or drop their shields, then they get Fsmashed.

And you know, even if it doesn't work, they can't punish it.

I also use it when I'm trying to frustrate an opponent. Constantly running away>Hup cancel>Dtaunt is frustrating after a couple straight minutes of it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well fromundaman, between choosing a safer,rising/landing spaced bair or hup-cancelling near your opponent, I think I would choose the bair.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
"Well fromundaman, between choosing a safer,rising/landing spaced bair or hup-cancelling near your opponent, I think I would choose the bair HUP-CANCEL! SHAZAM!."

Fixed.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well fromundaman, between choosing a safer,rising/landing spaced bair or hup-cancelling near your opponent, I think I would choose the bair.
90% of the time, I agree. However, it is a mindgame, and they expect a Bair. Instead, they see you do what looks like a failed Dair and free lag, drop the shield, and BAM!
Also, if well spaced, they really can't punish it (Well, most can't.). You don't have to fall on top of them.

Again, it's a mindgame. DO NOT use it all the time.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
It's when you use dair so close to the ground that the attack doesn't start, but you still hear Kirby go "HUP". The attack is cancelled so you get no landing lag at all from simply jumping and hup-cancelling. Here in the Kirby boards, I guess you could say it's our own inside joke! In all seriousness though, it has no uses except getting Kirby to say "Hup!", and that's it. Although some people claim to use it as mindgames I still don't see it safe enough to be useful there either.
LOL Kappy was doing that in our tourney set just show me the noise. Too funny.

Oh and guys what is your opinion of the Pikachu MU?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Pikachu can actually be a lot of fun to play against as Kirby, that is, if the Pikachu doesn't run away and fire campy T-jolts (especially on big stages). When Kirby has to chase around a Pika that runs away all the time, the match-up gets pretty gay, drags out forever, and is far less fun and exciting for the crowd.

This is why you copy the Pika Hat! :D

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Bah, personally, I think we have an advantage on Pika, but that seems to be just my opinion. Yeah, a run away/campy Pika can be annoying, but once you learn how he moves, it's not too hard to intercept him. Just keep him running until he reaches an edge, then wall Bairs when he tries to get around you (usually with QAC, so stay close to platforms for a punish) or PS a jolt and run in and punish before the lag ends (only doable once you have him backed to a ledge.).

On the other hand, once you have his power, he's the one chasing after you, and the thing is, Pika cannot safely approach us, especially when we have his hat.
We also spam like 1800000 times better than he does, and it refreshes our Bair, which is a BIG problem for Pika. Both of us can combo each other about as well.

We can also punish a whiffed Thunder with both inhale and hammer (both versions), as well as cutter but I don't know why you'd want to use that one.

After 100%, Pika's ledge options become extremely limited and very punishable if we have his hat too (and no, I'm not JUST saying that due to the hammer kill. Fsmash punishes 3/4 of his options in that situation, and Bair punishes the last one. If he takes the jolts, the situation resets.)

Pika does have some strengths, don't get me wrong, but I just feel Kirby is overall better in this MU.
The only times I have lost to Pikachus were because the player was vastly better than I was.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, didn't know that. SAWEET! Thanks MikeKirby!

Seriously, how do people see this as even?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You're gonna have to give us some time to think on that. :(

We usually say he's a space-fighting-glutton-marshmallow-balloon-vaccuum-mirror hybrid thing, but I think we got it wrong.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Dang, I forgot about that......... I found that too when I googled for Kirby pics. :|

Well, Kirby is a vaccuum cleaner then! :D

Uffe

Smash Hero
He's from Pop Star, lives in Dream Land and apparently is a Star Warrior. You've got three options of what Kirby is. :)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Whew... my brain is fixed in light of this new knowledge.

Does that mean Kirby and Poltergust are cousins?

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
Isn't kirby basically a premature baby or star warrior to say cus what i know he was in slumber but was woken up early so he never devolped fully but thats how he got his power to copy. Im probably wrong though

But i do like the space-fighting-glutton-marshmallow-balloon-vaccuum-mirror hybrid thing it has a nice ring to it xD

Uffe

Smash Hero
I read somewhere that the anime wasn't canon to the original because they wanted to try and get more audience and didn't want to have a story already going somewhere and people not knowing who Kirby was. Kirby is a young boy, though. Of course he doesn't appear human, but I remember reading the Kirby's Dream Land manual and it said something like that. However, I do believe he, King Dedede and Meta Knight have something in common. I would have said that Kirby was a Batamon, but most people have doubts just because the way a Batamon looks compared to Kirby.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Believe it or not, there's people who argue that DDD's actually an EAGLE. When you read what people say, they say "HAL Laboratories say he's a penguin, I HAVE PROOF", then the other guy "Naw, they say he's an eagle, LOOK AT MY PROOF". It still goes on in different websites. Quite sad, really.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Go by the manual. I think he's a penguin if they say he is. He looks nothing like an eagle. If you want an eagle, look at Dyna Blade. :) Caw caw!~

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw Dyna Blade I thought she was a robot...
I thought the same thing lol but how can ddd be an eagle thats crazy he is obviously a penguin I mean he is fat kinda short he cant fly without using inhale, and even hal says he's an eagle people now a days crazy -__-

but now I'm still wondering what r meta knight and kirby what does sakura call them?:urg:

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
In the kirby's dreamland manual it just calls kirby a boy so not much help their but i have another question is DDD a foe of kirby's or a friend because in the anime he is a villian but in brawl subspace and numerous other games he's a friend so whats the deal with that?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't really know either. He's always trying to be greedy and Kirby gets in his way, so that makes them enemies, and that's in his gamed and Anime. Although there have been moments where DDD and Kirby join forces to defeat a different enemy, like in Kirby 64: Crystal Shards. I guess you could say it's shady at best?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Uhh... He's from Pop Star, on the "Dream Land" area. Kind of like a town.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Dedede, if I'm correct, is an Anti-Hero. He'll only help out if it benefits him but he won't do something totally diabolical. If he does try to do good it just goes mistaken as if he is doing something bad like in "Nightmare in Dreamland"/"Kirby's Adventure". He steals and breaks the Star Rod so that Nightmare can't get their hands on it.

In the anime Dedede kinda did help Kirby. Heheh, it was rare but he would only offer help when his life was in danger or something. :laugh:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It is never final cutter. Ever.

Not following up is better than doing a final cutter follow-up. It has uses, yes (although few), but following up is NOT one of them.

Also, DA doesn't really have good follow-ups. You're better off trying to punish their landing (or buffer a single jab if they shield it.).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think the best thing you could do right after a dash attack is jab. It's your fastest option, but it only works if the opponent takes his time grabbing. Kirby's dash attack isn't usually a good move to use against opponents because if they shield it, they WILL get a grab on you, or worse.

Top Bottom