• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
"The old quickroll technique"? I don't think I've heard of that... Can you explain please? o_o

EDIT: WHOOPS I understood quickroll instead of quick rock. Lawl.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Because they aren't terrible people?

Srsly, all your B moves as Kirby are worthless. If you can't play without your B button, you're doing it wrong. You should RARELY have to UpB, NEVER DOWN B, sometimes neutralB and maaaybe use OVerB a good amount since it's not completely terrible.

'y don't ppl quik rok :troll:'

You troll you :awesome:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Riiight, quick rock, I misread quickroll... o_o

Well, it's not really that safe to use rock, and offstage it's usually better to just dair or bair. Rock sends them upwards, saving them from certain dair doom. They can also tech the wall and recover.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Final Cutter I use if all my jumps have been used to prevent myself from falling into the abyss and catch the ledge or the platform. Inhale, I do that only to copy useful abilities or for Kirbycide whenever my damage gets real high. I can take both of us out if need be. I"ll never touch Stone depending on the skill of the opponent. Although if you got one of those players that like to air juggle with proper timing you can hit them with Stone but otherwise it is way too risky to use anyways. I love using Hammer. Mostly in the air. If I ground Hammer I have to be confident that it'll hit because Kirby is helpless until he recovers from it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pretty much the only use for stone IMO is the infinite stone glitch on Picto. Other than that, there are just certain moments where it's a decent idea, but those are rare and 95% of the time you had a better option.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
More than you think. Off the top of my head Wario, Olimar, Lucario (Aura assisted), Marth, Snake, ZSS, GaW (if you count the windbox pushing us out of range), IC, Zelda. Those I'm pretty sure flat out beat it. Most others trade but with dair Kirby is always at the losing end of the trade.

Instead of trying to land with a dair just use your jumps to move around the opponent. Dair isn't all that useful. SH Dair baits spotdodgers and of course gimping capabilities. That's about all I use it for personally. Can anyone else enlighten me on dair?

edit:
@fromundaman: Stone ***** in dubs. It's garb in singles.

Crap... I'm sorry, I didn't realize I accidentally editted your post and not quoted... Sorry I can't remember what else was in it... :(

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I'd really like to see Kirby's Hurtboxes. =/

I think our D-air kinda shrinks it a bit at the start-up. Kinda like Kirby's D-tilt. Still, I wanna see our hurtbox!

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
More than you think. Off the top of my head Wario, Olimar, Lucario (Aura assisted), Marth, Snake, ZSS, GaW (if you count the windbox pushing us out of range), IC, Zelda. Those I'm pretty sure flat out beat it. Most others trade but with dair Kirby is always at the losing end of the trade.

Instead of trying to land with a dair just use your jumps to move around the opponent. Dair isn't all that useful. SH Dair baits spotdodgers and of course gimping capabilities. That's about all I use it for personally. Can anyone else enlighten me on dair?

edit:

Wow. So it not even more effective if you start it and then fall? Hmmm, alright thanks for that.

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
Really i think I use stone even less the ground hammer the move is just so useless to me the only benefit is like fast falling to a ledge. Also the stone i think has phantom lag so that makes it even worse xD

I think our dair is pretty useful though I mean there r some things that u can do out of a succesful dair that can rack up some good damage.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Really i think I use stone even less the ground hammer the move is just so useless to me the only benefit is like fast falling to a ledge. Also the stone i think has phantom lag so that makes it even worse xD

I think our dair is pretty useful though I mean there r some things that u can do out of a succesful dair that can rack up some good damage.
well when you punish a spotdodge with it (Snake, Wario, Falco) you can follow up with a ftilt unless they sdi really hard. I they di it poorly then theres a chance for a grab which would be more damage than an ftilt but that happens much less. it can also be an approach mixup. Poke with a few bairs and then use the splash damage at the end to get a shieldpoke at the bottom of their shield. If the shield is too fresh you can always retreat.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

edit:

I like Dair a lot for shield pressure too actually, not to mention we get free follow-ups from it.

As for stone, it's definitely better in dubs, but even then, it's a situational move. I mean, it has some uses, but they're so situational that I couldn't actually say when to use it. The only use that really comes to mind other than the stone glitch is when facing people really good at keeping you offstage and you're starting to get really low on jumps and afraid you might get gimped (Yeah, that's already pretty rare, but it occasionally happens), stone allows you to get back to the stage and regain the jumps at the cost of a punish of some sort (Unless it's on YI or somewhere where you can hit the slant and slide off to avoid a punish.).

Also sorry Jiovanni... I'll learn to quote correctly one of these days... Having an extra button threw me off :(

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I love when I use Stone in the air and it is fresh KOing people at the 70% and higher. Of course I use it air-wise if I expect they won't air dodge or move out of the way.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm sorry, using stone to KO should happen once every blue moon.

Also lol @ even implying stone might not be fresh XD

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Alright. Alright.

I've standed all I can, and I can'ts stands no more!

SupaSaioifkjlfsalkjfls20939039032- YOU. You're dumb. Rock is terrible, and if you think 'HAI GUYZZZ IT WRKZ AHGAINST OTHER PPPLLOLOLOL :awesome:' then you're playing scrubs. Rock is a terrible move and you're a bad person for using it.

There's like one situational use that is VERY generic and that's using Rock's on slants for the two hitboxes when you slide off. THAT IS IT AND IF YOU DO IT MORE THAN ONCE AGAINST ANYONE YOU'RE BAD AT THIS GAME.

Also, if you're not a good Kirby, or at least a knowledgeable one, BTW THIS IS TO ANYONE WHO FREQUENTLY COMES IN HERE (or comes in here at all), then stop answering questions?

"OH but I'm being helpful."

SHUT. THE. ****. UP

Bad answers are not better than questions left unanswered.

With that said I'll leave a list of Kirbies that will answer questions correctly (so if you get an answer from them, it's probably right).

RRR, Kappy, Fromundaman, Kewkky, myself (Sage JoWii), Chudat and YbM and MogX and Ling Ling(listing for technicality sake).

If you're not on this list, you could be right some of the time, most of the time, and such, but I only listed 90% trustable opinions.

>_> Everyone else is just another scrub answering another scrubs question. VISIT THE KIRBY GENERAL DISCUSSION OR KIRBY SKYPE CHAT and show you aren't stupid.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I swear people these days don't read posts.

Someone that is knowledgeable will be around within the day or so to answer, because some of the Kirbies loves sucking ****, I mean, answering questions.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I actually do think unanswered questions are better than false information (Which can cost people a stock or a match), but yeah, knowledgeable people have no life will come around to answer questions. If you don't know (Or you know your solution won't work for most people), don't answer.
Pretty much ask yourself this before you answer a question: "Will this help this person win more matches, or am I just trying to make myself look more useful?"

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Alright. Alright.

I've standed all I can, and I can'ts stands no more!

SupaSaioifkjlfsalkjfls20939039032- YOU. You're dumb. Rock is terrible, and if you think 'HAI GUYZZZ IT WRKZ AHGAINST OTHER PPPLLOLOLOL :awesome:' then you're playing scrubs. Rock is a terrible move and you're a bad person for using it.

There's like one situational use that is VERY generic and that's using Rock's on slants for the two hitboxes when you slide off. THAT IS IT AND IF YOU DO IT MORE THAN ONCE AGAINST ANYONE YOU'RE BAD AT THIS GAME.

Also, if you're not a good Kirby, or at least a knowledgeable one, BTW THIS IS TO ANYONE WHO FREQUENTLY COMES IN HERE (or comes in here at all), then stop answering questions?

"OH but I'm being helpful."

SHUT. THE. ****. UP

With that said I'll leave a list of Kirbies that will answer questions correctly (so if you get an answer from them, it's probably right).

RRR, Kappy, Fromundaman, Kewkky, myself (Sage JoWii), Chudat and YbM and MogX and Ling Ling(listing for technicality sake).

If you're not on this list, you could be right some of the time, most of the time, and such, but I only listed 90% trustable opinions.

>_> Everyone else is just another scrub answering another scrubs question. VISIT THE KIRBY GENERAL DISCUSSION OR KIRBY SKYPE CHAT and show you aren't stupid.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
P.S. you missed me in the Kirbies to listen to list. Thanks.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>.> Jio, I don't know you well enough to put myself on the line by saying you're one of the Kirbies to listen to for advice. Especially when you're the one with the 'UTilt OoS' conversation. More time would be necessary for me to know. Sorry bud.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Someone that is knowledgeable will be around within the day or so to answer, because some of the Kirbies loves sucking ****, I mean, answering questions.
If by "sucking ****" you mean "play Kirby games and get lots of copy abilities", then I agree with you 150%.

Anyway, don't get insulted about JoWii's post. He's a very straight-to-the-point guy, but it doesn't mean he's an angry person, he just doesn't like to dance around posts or sprinkle stuff with sugar to make it look ncer. I saw the post and I left it there because even though it's infraction worthy (and infracted, so calm down guys), it also says the truth. I don't mean to sound elitistic, but sometimes it's a better idea to leave questions unanswered and wait for the guys who actually know what they are talking about 100% of the time, have extensive experience with the character, and have proven both of these things over and over and over again. Once you have talked enough with other Kirbies and have shown that you're smart and experienced, other members will show it by adding more respect in their posts and talk highly of you. But before that happens, you guys should concentrate on helping yourselves get better and recognized, instead of helping others with the information you post might be both good and bad.

To answer rock questions and how to use it better:

A gimmick is a tactic that works once in a while, but not all the time and not against good opponents. Downb (Rock) isn't a good move because of the startup, range, and how long it takes you to transform back. The attack takes exactly 30 frames (0.500 seconds, half a second!) to come out in the air, so a good opponent has plenty of time to figure out if they will be able to reach you in time, or if they would be better off moving out of the way/airdodging, considering the average human speed is ~12 frames (0.200 seconds) this isn't crazy at all. On the ground the attack comes out in 14 frames (0.233 seconds), but the range is so small, and your opponent will definitely be moving all the time trying to keep you out of range, that using it as an attack just isn't worth it.

JoWii's right when he says that you should never use downB directly against opponents. It's always a better idea to find some other, safer way to use it and reach your opponent, such as sliding off of platforms (Delfino, Yoshi's Island, Pictochat platforms, etc...), or sliding off of the stage's edges (Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Pictochat, etc...). By sliding off of platforms, your downB's hitbox activates not once, but TWICE: As soon as you slide off the platform (aerial downB's hitbox), and as soon as you land (grounded downB's hitbox). Normally sliding off of slanted stuff shouldn't work, but some people tend to miscalculate just how fast Rock is in the air because they see it slide at a slow speed, yet as soon as you reach the end of the platform the attack gains more than twice its speed, the hitbox will be fresh, and even if the opponents shield they'll still be pushed back and have their shields noticeable reduced.

There's other ways to use downB, but since they're all gimmicks in order to hit with Kirby's slowest attack, it's all best used with some trick to try and catch the opponent off-guard, or used when the opponent has no option but to get hit with it, both of which require a good amount of experience against higher-leveled players to pull off. And yes, aerial downB is Kirby's slowest attack (30 frames), followed by his grounded sideB (24 frames), which is followed by his upB (23 frames), and last it's a tie between aerial sideB (17 frames) and neutralB (17 frames).

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Awww Kewkky, you're so adorable. <3333 Much homo.

Don't listen to him. I'm a terribly angry person and I hate everyone (that's why I'm one of three Kirby mentors).

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Yeah I also didn't get the part where he was saying jowii wasn't a terribly mad person... (<3)

Also why am I not a trustable kirby, PR and MU thingies aside, I know what I'm talking about and have played this ******* character for more than 2 years now.

Example of a dumb post? Not to be rude but most posts by supersayian bla. Nothing against you as a person but you obviously have ways to go with Kirby.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And yes, aerial downB is Kirby's slowest attack (30 frames), followed by his grounded sideB (24 frames), which is followed by his upB (23 frames), and last it's a tie between aerial sideB (17 frames) and neutralB (17 frames).
I'm going to derail this 'who gives good advice thing' for a minute to ask the following: These are all startup times right? Out of curiosity, do you have ending frame data for these moves? The guide doesn't actually say when they end. To be fair, I'm pretty sure just assuming "Long as hell" works for this, but I'm curious.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I'm going to derail this 'who gives good advice thing' for a minute to ask the following: These are all startup times right? Out of curiosity, do you have ending frame data for these moves? The guide doesn't actually say when they end. To be fair, I'm pretty sure just assuming "Long as hell" works for this, but I'm curious.
I know Inhale has a 20 frame cooldown. Which is bad unless it hits.

Top Bottom