• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I didn't mean to point out who's knowledgeable or not, I simply agree with JoWii's post about leaving the Q&A to the knowledgeable Kirbies. The non-knowledgeable ones are the newer players to join the Kirby community. Of course jiovanni007 and Tierse have good info and can answer questions, I don't doubt your experience with Kirby since you both go to tourneys and use the character (jiovanni more than Tierse though), and I know I'd probably forget a name or two, so I'd rather not name who's knowledgeable and who's not. You guys should know where you are from debating in MU discussions and participating in other Kirby-related projects. :)

I'm going to derail this 'who gives good advice thing' for a minute to ask the following: These are all startup times right? Out of curiosity, do you have ending frame data for these moves? The guide doesn't actually say when they end. To be fair, I'm pretty sure just assuming "Long as hell" works for this, but I'm curious.
I can ask the Smash Lab to get me the ending frames. I haven't yet since I really didn't feel like we need the info (IASA frames is pretty much all we need), and they're already working on getting the frame data for every character (their project, just like the BBR's is the MU Chart). Want me to ask them though? ;)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sure, why not. TBH, I care more about the SideB ones than the others. The others are more "Wow, look at how long our Up/Down/neutral B takes!" than actually useful.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Use as many as your jumps as possible while moving away from your opponent, then come back down to regain your jumps when your opponent does the same. Whenever you come down, do a landing bair to keep your opponent from getting too close, or an airdodge if they normally outrange your bair (like Marth).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Whats the best way to get around Olis grabs/Upsmash
Don't land next to him when he has his shield up, and don't float too close to him. Always try to find a place where Olimar can't hit you with a hyphen usmash (dash > usmash)/fair you/grab you, and wait until he does something. Then punish him with a landing bair (however, always make sure you have a fast option after landing, try landing bair>utilt/jab/rising bair/grab/roll, and avoid landing next to him and not following up with anything).

The real best way to get around it is by getting his copy ability and spamming Pikmin, it heavily limits his options. But good luck inhaling one. :(

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Is instead of doing the kirby combo when you get a grab fthrow>inhale a good choice?
Well, the real answer here is "no", but it can work, believe it or not. Olimar's downB stops all knockback, so a fast and smart Olimar would whistle through the uair and hit you before you have a chance to regrab/tilt/bair him. If he whistles and you inhale instead of uair, then you will have his power with no trouble at all! But he might also jump away or try to hit you instead and you'll be worse off than going for an uair... So, no it's not a good choice to inhale after the fthrow, but it might work so keep it in mind.

Your question raises another question, too: how many frames does your opponent have to counter between the fthrow and uair? Snake can bair you, Marth can upB out of it, and I'm sure other characters can do stuff... But how many frames are there exactly? Hmm...

I think I will direct this to one of the Smash Lab researchers...

EDIT: Already got an answer! We have an 8-frame advantage before they can do anything, and our uair has a 10-frame startup, which means that the opponent only has 2 frames to do something. If Olimar buffers, he can whistle through our uair and do a fast attack to punish us. Soooo, if your Olimar opponent knows this and whistles a lot, inhaling after an fthrow becomes a viable but still bad option.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
....if they normally outrange your bair (like Marth)...
Gaaawwwdddamnit Kewkky, I said you were a reputable Kirby and YOU GO AND **** IT UP.

For the dumb Kirbies out there, like this man, Kewkky, KIRBY'S BAIR OUTRANGES MARTH'S FAIR (which, and correct me if I'm wrong is the limit of his aerial range).

Whats the best way to get around Olis grabs/Upsmash
The way to do it is with a bunch of empty jumps, no lie. You hop around a lot and get him to do a bunch of retreating pivot grabs, and retreating pikmin tosses (because they won't USmash unless it's a hard read or a kill). Slowly, inch by inch, the Olimar will be making his way to the edge where he'll have his back against the wall. From that point it's just about reading his options (airdodge thru you, attack thru you, stay on the edge, or go over you).

Is instead of doing the kirby combo when you get a grab fthrow>inhale a good choice?
No. Get the 40~% damage from the combo, and if you feel you want that power, then go for it when he's at his most vulnerable; when he's in the air, landing. Olimar's hate nothing more than having their landings punished.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Gaaawwwdddamnit Kewkky, I said you were a reputable Kirby and YOU GO AND **** IT UP.

For the dumb Kirbies out there, like this man, Kewkky, KIRBY'S BAIR OUTRANGES MARTH'S FAIR (which, and correct me if I'm wrong is the limit of his aerial range).
Marth's fair is at 1:42.

(you have to use your Kirby senses to figure out where his legs are inside that hitbox bubble)

As you can see, since Marth's sword and a bit after it is ALL disjoint in the air (his hand isn't), while Kirby's legs during his bair aren't disjointed, if his fair hits Kirby's legs while Kirby bairs, his fair will win even if our bair is retreating simply because we extend our hurtbox while attacking and he does not. Also, Marth can hit Kirby from a diagonal angle in the same way. If Marth is retreating a fair, it will 100% of the time beat Kirby's fair. Also, Marth's fsmash outranges Kirby's bair anywhere, his utilt outranges it diagonally, his uair outranges it diagonally...

Kirby's hitbox range is longer than Marth's, but Kirby has an extended hurtbox while Marth doesn't, and that ruins it for him. Since no one will be spacing perfectly mid-match all the time and our bair has more versatility then Marth's fair, it looks like ours outranges his.

Anyway, I meant when platform camping, so Marth would be under Kirby in this situation. I think airdodging while getting near the platform while Marth is under you is a smarter idea than bairing randomly while landing on a platform to recover your jumps with Marth waiting to smack you for it.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
All I heard is IN AN ACTUAL MATCH you can bank on Kirby's BAir beating Marth's FAir because no Marth is stupid enough to do any of those other bad options Kewkky says outrange Kirby's BAir (and I of course said aerials onry).

Let it be known Kewkky is in a small community of knowledgeable people who still think Marth beats the mess outta Kirby, while I'm one of the ones who sees the results and knows top-level Kirby > top-level Marth (and pretty much any level under that if you know the MU).

I don't agree either that when platform camping a Marth you should AD when landing to avoid a punish; IMO, you should never be in a situation where you'll be landing while Marth is within punishing range, feet planted. If anything, learn to platform camp better.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
All I heard is IN AN ACTUAL MATCH you can bank on Kirby's BAir beating Marth's FAir because no Marth is stupid enough to do any of those other bad options Kewkky says outrange Kirby's BAir (and I of course said aerials onry).

Let it be known Kewkky is in a small community of knowledgeable people who still think Marth beats the mess outta Kirby, while I'm one of the ones who sees the results and knows top-level Kirby > top-level Marth (and pretty much any level under that if you know the MU).
So you're saying that when Marth fairs and he's below us possibly under a platform, we still beat him with our bair. I didn't know Kirby's hitbox went far below his body to the point where it would beat even Marth's utilt while we land on a platform and he's under us. Thanks for the info, maybe it'll help me in the MU.

You seem to be forgetting something, JoWii... I am talking about platform camping, and I never even said Marth was horizontal to Kirby spacing a fair.
Here's the guy's post I was replying to:
What are some good ways to platform camp?
I want to know if what I'm doing is wrong or not.
Options for BF, Yoshis and SV.
Here's the post you quoted, point out where I said Marth's fair:
Use as many as your jumps as possible while moving away from your opponent, then come back down to regain your jumps when your opponent does the same. Whenever you come down, do a landing bair to keep your opponent from getting too close, or an airdodge if they normally outrange your bair (like Marth).
Now here's your reply:

Please point out where I said your bair was going to challenge his fair, please. From what I can see, I never said "you shouldn't bair through Marth's fair when you both are next to each other horizontally because it will otrange you while you're landing on a platform".

I don't agree either that when platform camping a Marth you should AD when landing to avoid a punish; IMO, you should never be in a situation where you'll be landing while Marth is within punishing range, feet planted. If anything, learn to platform camp better.
Whether or not you platform camping is the best in the universe, Marth is still under you and his attacks are fast. If you're platform camping and Marth is below you, he's going to hit you if you do anything while landing. Anything except airdodge while landing = Marth hitting you no problem with the largest possible window for error while you land on the platform he traced your landing to, while airdodge while landing = Marth having a noticeable window for error since his hitboxes don't stay out and if he misses due to your invincibility frames, or takes too long and hits your shield after you land, you get a free punish.

Hmm...... If I was platform camping and Marth figured out where I was trying to land when I'm trying to come down to recover my jumps, I think I would go with airdodging.

Also, my post with the pictures and stiff is true. Try it yourself, go into normal Brawl with infinite time and 2 controllers. Place Kirby at a distance from Marth where your bair won't reach him, then have them both jump and Kirby bair + Marth fair... And then put them far enough away so that Marth's fair won't hit Kirby when both are standing still, then do the same thing. An then, pull them apart from each other slowly and keep jumping>marth fair/kirby bair until only one of the two characters gets hit.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Let's get real here though, Marth beats Kirby.... I wouldn't say he beats the mess outta Kirby, but it's like 55-45 to 60-40s Marth's favor. Marth is just a better version of Kirby with only one midair jump. I will never buy that this matchup is even or Kirby's advantage.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Also, my post with the pictures and stiff is true. Try it yourself, go into normal Brawl with infinite time and 2 controllers.
Marth's disjoint basically gives him twice as much distancing against Kirby's feet than normal. Good Marth players know they never have to get within range of Kirby's B-air in order to put pressure on Kirby or outright hit him. This is the reason why Kirby has trouble with Marth/Meta Knight (as well as other characters with obvious disjoints).

So yeah, QFT.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I swear, Kewkky is the only person who posts **** that I don't understand right of the bat. You should not have a bunch of nonsense in your posts so I can see what you're actually saying better. Juss sayin'.

I'd agree it's like 55-45 Marth, but that's practically even.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I swear, Kewkky is the only person who posts **** that I don't understand right of the bat. You should not have a bunch of nonsense in your posts so I can see what you're actually saying better. Juss sayin'.

I'd agree it's like 55-45 Marth, but that's practically even.
I think that it's just that you're used to talk to people who say stuff like that, and when I say stuff that resembles what those people say, your autopilot kicks in. ;)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Fomundaman the moderator, spamming the Q&A thread with short off-topic posts. I understand if JoWii does it, but a fellow red name? Son, I am disappoint.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Well BRADLEY, stupid nickname, you think you can just walk in here and expect us to tell you how to beat Kirby?

GET.REAL.

No one on this board will dare give you our worst MU
ICs
AND I'll be damned if any of us will tell you a bad stage for us
we have none tbh; it's character specific.

You're dumb for bothering to post here; NO ONE is going to help you.

Btw, there's no way you're going to get good enough to play multiple characters to the degree you'll need to beat someone's main just because it's a hard MU. Not unless you're from NewJersey. It's just a simple fact that someone's main is usually better than your secondaries at any given MU because they'll have more experience. You can still win, but it's not going to be easy just because you CP'd their character. There are very few people with enough player skill to use multiple characters on the level you're talking about.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Worst MU for Kirby is
ICs
, and worst stage is
uhh...... Maybe Halberd cuz of the low ceiling? I don't think Kirby has a bad stage, it's all character-specific, Kirby's bad stages are the ones his opponents do their best in (Halberd for Snake, for example)
, but I'm totally joking because I don't want anyone to think Kirby actually HAS a weakness. He's the best man.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
TruDat Kewk; KIRBY IS THE END ALL, BE ALL CHARACTER. HE HAS NO WEAKNESSES.

NOT EVEN CHUCK NORRIS

Or MK, famine, disease, war, etc., etc.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If Green Greens was allowed I would never take Snakes there... Although our uthrow would kill him faster... But then again, his utilt and ftilt will kill us faster too...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What is the match up between kirby and falco?
It's generally agreed by both communities that it's even.

However, some members believe it's on either side's favor. I myself believe that the MU is in Kirby's favor, and I'm sure there's some Falco mains that believe it's in Falco's favor.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
How many of you kirby mains actually use the B button to fight? (as in use the rivals attacks)

I notice every time I choose kirby (very fun char) I never use his swallow unless its a kirbycide :3

I wana main kirby but I just suck with him xD

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How many of you kirby mains actually use the B button to fight? (as in use the rivals attacks)

I notice every time I choose kirby (very fun char) I never use his swallow unless its a kirbycide :3

I wana main kirby but I just suck with him xD
I suck with Kirby too. I think we all do. :awesome:

We use his B moves to attack every so often, it's just that all the specials are slow so we have to wait for an opportunity to use them, while all the A button attacks are fast.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
I suck with Kirby too. I think we all do. :awesome:

We use his B moves to attack every so often, it's just that all the specials are slow so we have to wait for an opportunity to use them, while all the A button attacks are fast.
falco n mk must help yall out on the mu

And has anyone tested to se eif Kirby specail is weaker then everyone else? like using falco gun is it weaker or slow in any way compared to the real thing?
And does Lucario kirby specail get bigger?

Top Bottom