• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Read what I said about the Marth matches I played, don't really think it's a one sided fight.. Kirby can compete with Marths range just fine.
So far I've never felt 'hopelessness' with Kirby and I play top players all the time but I guess that Kirby just can't be played at low lvl, but he's beast at high..
Seems like I really gotta have to play a tournament with him only and place top 5 to prove that..
So the next Swedish tournament I attend I'll play Kirby only(I will not play Kirby during BEAST but it's possible I will take him out in teams or singles incase I don't feel consistent with CF atm.)

The dashattack sucks unless you edgecancel it... but overall it ****ing sucks, you can use it for a weird entrance in teams but in singles it's just you and your opponent, % is vital and you want as little as possible so doing reckleness stuff is just stupid.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Leffen, with Nizro's **** in his mouth as always <3

I can understand why you called it an edge cancel Nizro but in truth the Dash Attack Grab Cancel is just that, the only legitimate grab cancel in melee. When you said Edge Cancel Kirby's dash attack i assumed you meant some way to actually outright cancel the dash attack on the ledge, which doesnt exist.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
If it doesn't exist then you shouldn't think of it, and then proceed to find the most logic answer.
If you haven't heard of it, then you really shouldn't be like "You can't edgecancel that shiz" and just think of the possiblity of me actually leaning towards the actual real cancel that you can actually just do with the dash attack.. just saying, it's mighty unnecessary to post something like that if atleast 90% of the people here would be like "oh he gotta mean that grab cancel"
It's like if I say dropzone. - The Knee.
Or dash attack edgecancel. - Dash attack edgegrab cancel.
Only difference here is that dropzone can be used for uair, bair, shine w/e but you will first hand always think of the knee, the words "edgecancel dash attack" should do just the same, only point towards the most common or only thing.

Leffen does have point though =/
*tired.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
if you jump off the the ledge and suck in opponent, when your releasing the opponent , does that spike off stage?

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
If he struggles, he'll drop down a large amount before being able to jump, if you swallow him, he pops up, if you spit him out he'll pop up with a rising force.. but if you meant the struggle release then yes, you could class it as a spike lol..

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
If it doesn't exist then you shouldn't think of it, and then proceed to find the most logic answer.
If you haven't heard of it, then you really shouldn't be like "You can't edgecancel that shiz"
If you say something wrong, even if what you meant was something different, you're still wrong. I've seen plenty of people claim you can do stuff that you absolutely cant do in melee(See XIII Ways To Die and his claims that you can "Perfect Cancel" Bowser's Down B) so when you say something thats wrong I dont assume you actually meant something completely different, I just assume you're wrong. Im not going to assume every time someone is wrong that they actually meant something completely different and were right.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Oh well, just imo.
Atleast I proved my point instantly, but the example you just gave is way different from what I said.. I said something that's remotely close but MIGHT imply something else, while that example simple plain out name a whole new thing altogether and can't be pointing towards something else..

It's like if I said "Well you can bair upB without any lag at all" then I'm not suggesting anything else than what I just said.. so atleast you should have oversight with stuff that's kinda close but shouldn't or couldn't be confused with something else.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
oh man i think that guy actually said something along the lines of bair up b at one point too lmao.

He's also the infamous creator of "get hit canceling" aka the art of using pikachus down, getting hit, "perfect teching" it and then using thunder again to combo it. Literally the best person ever.

leffen

Smash Champion
Haha, started thinking of Sheldon Cooper while reading Pink Reapers posts lmfao :D

Please dudes, context D:
Just because lol'd is technically wrong you won't assume it means I laughed out loud? ~_~

And comparing edge canceling and grab canceling is ********, that would imply that you cancel your aerial/ w/e with an edge attack or smth, certainly not canceling your aerial lag by landing on the edge of the stage.

Oh and I'd rather be gay than ignorant, thank you ;)

Skyson

Smash Ace
I sidestep read with down smash or down tilt most often. I try my hardest to enjoy every moment where another competent player feels the need to do something as defensive as sidestepping against Kirby. Makes me feel like I'm doing something great. <_<

Ground hammer so good.

BunBun

Smash Master
I sidestep read with down smash or down tilt most often. I try my hardest to enjoy every moment where another competent player feels the need to do something as defensive as sidestepping against Kirby. Makes me feel like I'm doing something great. <_<

Ground hammer so good.
Everything about this is correct.

In fact, this is one of the best posts on SWF.

Triple R

Smash Lord
sidestep to utilt is broken with kirby :3

on a more serious note, punishing getup attacks with grounded hammer is not really a bad thing to do.

Triple R

Smash Lord
While it's not that great of an option, it still does work. I know you can punish captain falcon's getup attack with it, but yeah, the problem is you basically have to predict it. I usually just shield them and grab and go from there.

Skyson

Smash Ace
..why did I never think about ducking getup attacks? I always like to try ducking grabs on characters it works against, but I always try to poke through getups with dsmash. <_<

Now this seems much more logical. Duck abuse, gettin' in there.

Dsmash is so good. When you sweetspot it, it makes a slashing sound and you're left thinking "Where does Kirby keep the swords in his feet? Is he that awesome?" Or wait, is that only usmash? Still, SWORDS IN HIS FEET. SO GOOD.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
You can basicly only use ground hammer when you dash dance away from their aerial and then full space hammer when they land.. but I only use it for fun when I jab reset someone.. they're like "o.o"
And it kills around 100% (Sheik) so tbh it's pretty ****ty.

Never use it unless you fee like being funny, just accompany it by screaming "THA HAMMAAAAH" or the swedish way "HammarrrrrrrnnnN^"
When you read a sidestep you should grab or utilt or bair that ***.. if they assume you'll sidestep and you do then you should either sidestep again or jab them or jump bair asap.. but at high lvl if you sidestep and they read you then you should have gotten punish'd.. end of story.

Dsmash still sucks.. his sweetspotted upsmash is **** though, charge it only a little and it's really strong.

Triple R

Smash Lord
The problem with ducking under getup attacks is that everyone has two of them, depending if they are face planted or on their backs on the ground. So good luck memorizing all those getup attacks and recognizing when they will do each one. You can duck under falcon's spinny getup, but you can't duck his other one.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
accompany it by screaming "THA HAMMAAAAH" or the swedish way "HammarrrrrrrnnnN^"
Real gamers go "Piko Piko Hammah".

his sweetspotted upsmash is **** though, charge it only a little and it's really strong.
C-sticking is the best way to Usmash. Infact, outside of predictable edgeguarding, c-stick is the best way to smash attack full stop. Also, c-stick Fsmash away is good for dodging as it sets you up nicely for a c-stick Fsmash in return.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
C-stick or doing the manual way, either way is just as efficent, I don't use the cstick when I pivot, and I don't use the Cstick to charge smashes.. Cstick + Z = no thanks.

lol, bunbun are you going to genesis2? I'm pretty sure I'm going so I could just say it in person :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
C-stick or doing the manual way, either way is just as efficent, I don't use the cstick when I pivot, and I don't use the Cstick to charge smashes.. Cstick + Z = no thanks.
While Cstick smash to grab is a ligitimate complaint, I do believe an uncharged smash is easier to perform with the Cstick.

lol, bunbun are you going to genesis2? I'm pretty sure I'm going so I could just say it in person :)
But then the rest of us don't get to enjoy it.

Skyson

Smash Ace
I manual up smashes but C-stick down smashes. Forward smashes are whichever I'm in the mood/position for at the moment. :o

Top Bottom