• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Tamoo

Smash Master
Well the jokes on him cos new tier list is out and KIRBY>PICHU yeahhhh...

If only alphabetically ;)

And his most recent wall to wall posts are precious. iTouch kids rofl.

He will def be missed :(

Tamoo

Smash Master
Just a little update on kirby, Hack is using him at Beast (swedish euro tournament) and is at least top 8 LOL!

He's beating Pamaro atm, will update with how well he does hehe

Edit: Hack beat Pamaro (Pamaro sent zgetto to losers btw) using kirby 3-0! I think guaranteed top 5 at a big international

Edit 2: Hack loses to Ice 3-2 :( Went kirby and got it to 2-2 and then went fox last game and lost.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Went kirby and got it to 2-2 and then went fox last game and lost.
That is the last thing I expected to happen. Changed from a tier to the complete opposite, knowing how to use both, and losing because of it. I hope he learned his lesson, no more using crap Fox and stick to top-tier Kirby.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Edit 2: Hack loses to Ice 3-2 :( Went kirby and got it to 2-2 and then went fox last game and lost.
Sig'd. Kirby is too good for rubbish like Fox. I laughed super hard at this. This is how I want to feel about Kirby all the time. xD

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Nopedinope. I was there as well, and Ice PICKED Fox against Hack's Kirby, and went from 0-2 to 2-2. Last game, Hack CP'ed YS and Ice picked Fox again, followed by Hack picking Marth, and barely losing.

Also worth noting is that in one game against Pamaro, Hack had a stock lead of 2-1 (both players were at 0 percent) but he accidentally committed suicide. Despite dropping a stock, he still won. It's ALMOST a 2-stock :)

Triple R

Smash Lord
Fox is really that bad a matchup? I thought you could plow straight through a lot of his attacks and get in good hits from there.
lol, I consider fox to be Kirby's worst matchup actually. You can't duck his grabs and he's ultra fast. Marth is way easier imo.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
But you can wade through lasers to Ftilt and DI out the other side of his basic combo for an Fsmash. From there you can easily get in a couple off follow up attacks and atleast match the damage you received.

His attacks are hard to avoid but I don't feel that that's the be all and end all of a matchup.

Skyson

Smash Ace
I think a Fox that's resorting to lasers, or more specifically jab combo, for any damage is deserving to get some kind of punishment. <_<

There are many worse things that Fox can and usually will do to Kirby to keep him... in the "haha you wish you could touch me" zone.

Fooooooooox.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Fox makes me rage, although the ones that don't know the matchup are the easiest gimp baits around :/

I actually love the marth matchup, kirby's range always deceive marths who just look at kirby and think lolnosword.

Nashun

Smash Ace
But you can wade through lasers to Ftilt and DI out the other side of his basic combo for an Fsmash. From there you can easily get in a couple off follow up attacks and atleast match the damage you received.

His attacks are hard to avoid but I don't feel that that's the be all and end all of a matchup.
He's not going to let you ftilt him if he's lasering, it's the same as trying to ftilt him when he's empty-jumping.

You're not going to fsmash him out of his "basic combo"...whatever that is.

And you're not going to get in follow-up attacks.

You're not even going to come NEAR matching his damage on the stage. Your grabs do 10%, his grabs do like 20% with a chance of kill almost guaranteed.

You can't duck his grabs, he doesn't have to shorthop to stay fast so you get beat out of a lot of aerials, and he's not even that easy to edgeguard.

What the heck foxes are you playing?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's basically the rebuttal.

That and the "No such thing as an impossible matchup, everything is possible if you try hard enough or with a big enough skill gap!"

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Your grabs do 10%, his grabs do like 20% with a chance of kill almost guaranteed.
I don't see what the bid deal is with grabs.

You can't duck his grabs
I'm pretty sure I can. It might be that I'm playing on uneven ground though.

he doesn't have to shorthop to stay fast so you get beat out of a lot of aerials
I'll agree that aerials are not really the answer here.

What the heck foxes are you playing?
I though you all knew by now that the only decent players I know have been out of the game for years and are usually too busy to play me. They do main Fox though.

Inhale is a godsend. No really. I love that move. :bee:
Indeed. Starshot is useful most of the time and swallowcide is even better. I do feel like an idiot when I instinctively fastfall it though.

Nashun

Smash Ace
The big deal with grabs is that unless you have perfect spacing, play incredibly safe and take 0 risks, you're going to get grabbed. Fox has some of the best shield pressure in the game and he's going to make you shield. His mixups are pretty much impossible to react to, which means you have to predict them which means you're never going to be 100% accurate. The big deal with grabs is that grabs are some of the fastest moves in the game and that it can be done while shielding, standing, AND running.

Play a decent fox and you're going to be sitting in your shield every time he gets close enough to even breathe on you. And guess what happens when you're shielding?

You can't duck his grabs on even ground. Where it matters the most.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You can't duck his grabs on even ground. Where it matters the most.
Turns out I was definitely wrong. A grab happy Fox isn't something I can deal with.

The big deal with grabs is that unless you have perfect spacing, play incredibly safe and take 0 risks, you're going to get grabbed.
I hate grabs. They're useless when I do them and really annoying when my opponent does.

he's going to make you shield.
Lol, yeah right! If he ain't Algol then I ain't blocking!

And guess what happens when you're shielding?
You get grabbed and die because you were stupid enough to touch the R button?
Yeah, I don't do blocks, dodges or grabs, it only gets me killed.

Skyson

Smash Ace
I am going to start playing balls to the wall Kirby like ryuu.

No shield, no dodges, no grabs, Kirby only.

Not final destination 'cause that is bad for Kirby.

Smashfest today, gonna try Kamikaze Kirby like this. It will be awesome. 3 Marth mains, 2 Fox mains, and a Falcon/Falco player. LET'S ROCK.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What's wrong with FD? The stage I really can't handle is Kongo Jungle 64. I have issues with YS but I seem to win on it atleast as much as any other stage.

The things to learn for my style of play are
1) Swallowcide is good, even if it'll kill you.
2) Don't worry too much about taking damage. Sometimes you have to take a hit to land one.
3) Fsmash, Usmash and Dair are your friends.
4) Always Cstick smashes.
5) Fireball is almost guaranteed damage. If your opponent is downed and out of Fsmash range, don't hesitate to fireball in unless it's Falcon/Ganon/Yoshi (you have to play the crouch game here). It also messes with a Marth that thinks he can out prioritise you all day. It's beaten out by grabs and projectiles though so exercise caution.
6) The only useless move is neutral A (though the uses of directional specials are obviously limited).
7) Against tall opponents, always crouch. Dtilt and Fsmash are your main moves here. Cstick everything.
8) Some opponents are just asking to be repetitively Ftilted (you'll learn to recognise this) and Ftilting opponents into a wall is a great way to set up more Ftilts.
9) Never be afraid to hit with your head. It's an odd thing but a backwards Fsmash is more powerful than a forwards one if you're touching the opponent from the start of the move.

I don't think most of this applies when you don't play like me.
Good luck Skyson, give me something to be proud of!

Top Bottom