• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Rappster

Smash Ace
versus ganon, i can spend basically the whole match crouching right?
the only things he can hit me with are dtilt and arials, right? does kirby's dtilt beat ganons?
i'm pretty sure that kirby's utilt can beat most of ganon's arials...

Skyson

Smash Ace
Well, you can crouch against Ganon, but I'm pretty sure once you get caught with a Dair then you're in for a royal thrashing. Pretty sure your Dtilt beats his Dtilt. I find the Ganon match up kinda hard most of the time. He's big, heavy, and all I can really do to him is Utilt him 2 or 3 times until he figures the DI right. Getting him offstage is hard, and he can put Kirby offstage at like 0%. <_<

Kirby offstage is not a good thing. Ganon's aerials hit really hard. lol

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Fair is great against heavys but Ganon's jump grab move means you'll have to be careful with it. Warlock Punch is pretty amazing if you can land it (especially if yours hits during the end of his) but it's a very slow move so that seems unlikely to say the least.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I wrote hella lot about how you should play this MU (frame stuff, tactics etc etc) but I didn't feel like posting it after all the work writing it down..
More or less you have alot of time and space in this MU, ganondorf is a space control character, he will not go out of his defensive 'box' if you play it right.
This box will defend itself with spacing bair and when you approach he'll do a retreating bair..

It's a very simple matchup, I basicly just play it like I would with CF, speed him out.

Nashun

Smash Ace
All I get from that is "fireball him to hell and back".
Surely that can't be right, can it?
Surely.

Against Ganon you can't really do anything when you're not inside of his bubble. If you commit from too far away he can just retreat and fair you on reaction so you really need to know the spacing in this matchup. Crouching when you're not inside is super good, just need to shield the delayed dairs and fairs on reaction. Bait the jabs, a lot of the time when he pressures your shield with an aerial you can't grab him because he has a lot of range and because his jab will beat it but when he jabs he extends himself a bit and you can grab that.

Don't try to beat uair, if he's below you give up control and just try to get back onto the stage.
Fair works really well if you start it inside his bubble. Your aerial mobility is pretty good relative to his so you'll be able to beat his retreat but spacing is really important in doing so.

Poke a LOT with downtilt, his downtilt doesn't do anything cuz it's too slow so you don't really have to be afraid of it, but make sure you have enough space to react with a shield if he fairs or dairs your dtilt. If he feels like approaching you ftilt is okay but generally you just want to harass him with the dtilt and fair/utilt when you're inside, depending on positioning.

You're probably going to be grabbing a lot this matchup as well since ganon's oos options are really slow and utilt/ftilt can beat a lot of them; dthrow seems to be good, I actually think you get a guaranteed hit if you read his tech.

Just play fast and know the exact range of his safe pokes. When you're outside you need to crouch and dtilt, when you're inside you need to grab, fair, and utilt. Don't overextend but you have to know when to follow up. Once you get him off the stage, edgeguarding is cake.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Fair pressure on shield is safe and you can shield poke him with the ground hit..
And the fair either grab him, jab and react or run past his shield and mindgame..

Bair on shield is safe, because he can't bair outta sheild fast enough(6frames to jump and another 6-9 to get out the bair, ain't fast enough.. his grab will miss regardless if you bair lcancel, jump bair.. you're in advanced.. or you could bait the grab and utilt(x3) him to bair to regrab or double bair, regrab or utilt to weak utilt until he airdodge because regardless of aerial he can never hit you..

When you edgeguard just ****ing jump out, his air mobility sucks and regardless of attack you either win the air battle or both get hit + for you - for him..
Just watch the situation if he's really far up he'll downB(most of the time, on high lvl you don't so you don't get punished) thus you should wait until his hitbox goes away and then bair his ***,(weak bair can be more effecient because you can either weak to strong bair him, or just weak bair him since it'll do the job)..
If he's more vertical just bair his ***, he'll never win over your bair and if he do, either walljump tech to spike(Oh yeah spike his *** when he recover low) or uair him(% dependent, if he got over 100% then uair lower than that you should kill him with dair)..

And just fyi, the dtilt should only be used when you actually dodge something and thus "dodge and hit" otherwise use the ftilt, more priority and more knockback.. character's like ganondorf can very well just CC to offensive if you hit him with low knockback attacks..(you can shield poke him sometimes with it though..)
Always recover smart, if they love the dair then recover low and if they low the semi spike uair then recover high, stay focused, you can get around the uair pretty easily.. you can even predict it and airdodge or downB.. you can even beat him to it and fast fall bair him before he get his uair out. tons of options.

You can techchase him till 30-50%(I don't really know the exact %) if you can't techchase him then backthrow it's mad broken anyways.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Dtilt is still a better choice at lower to mid %s as it keeps you crouched at all times. I played Mr. Ganondorf a while back and he started CCing on reaction to Ftilt punishes and Wizard Foot out of it right away. Dtilt forces him to literally be unable to punish since his only move from the ground that's low enough to hit you is his own Dtilt which as you've mentioned is ****ing horrible.

On his recovery, it's really really ****ing bad but I've always had more luck staying on the ledge than anything else. Ganon is somewhat floaty and Kirby isnt exactly throwing out a bunch of semi spikes so he usually ends up right around ledge level with a jump left and it's just easier to refresh Ledge Invinc->Bair through whatever than it is to try and clash a Uair. Or just stay on stage and Dtilt, it ***s his recovery so much its not even funny(that's a lie it's actually quite funny)

Ganon is such a strange character to fight because he's one of the few characters who is forced to approach kirby as his defensive options actually put him at a disadvantage and even on the offensive Kirby's size and crouch limit him severely. I've honestly always considered him easier than Falcon just due to the fact that Falcon can space Dair's and go pretty much unpunished for it where as Ganon has to space Bairs just to be able to hit you with it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So I'm thinking about using Kirby more. I believe I've gotten to the point where I accept his weaknesses and can now begin to **** by abusing his strengths. XP

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Kirby's fun to play. I used him in a ton of doubles friendlies after DGDTJ; some of those might have been streamed, sadly.

Good times.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
So I'm doing a local monthly next week where I sandbag and win with a bad character. I've done Pichu, Ness, Roy, etc. and my friend told me to pick Kirby. The problem is, playing Kirby is boring for both players in my opinion.

With Pichu, you can actually fling yourself across the stage and do awesome stuff. Kirby is stupidly slow, has a bad recovery, and like three decent moves. I don't want to play through the tourney just camping bairs and ftilting people when they get close.

Is there a positive side to Kirby?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
no not really.

i think you got it right. gay to fight against, gay to play as.

you haven't used bowser yet...

Triple R

Smash Lord
so i'm doing a local monthly next week where i sandbag and win with an underrated character. I've done pichu, ness, roy, etc. And my friend told me to pick kirby. The problem is, i really don't know how to use kirby.

With pichu, you can be careless and fling yourself across the stage and do nair and nair over and over again. i'm bad with kirby. I don't want to play through the tourney having to think when they get close.

should i complain less?
qft

no not really.

I think you got it right. Gay to fight against, gay to play as.

You haven't used bowser yet...
</3

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I honestly don't know how a generic tournament winning Kirby works but I can say for sure that Kirby is anything but boring to play as.

Oh and I discovered a neat little trick today which is likely of little use to you as wave dashing allows for better options.
Because most moves will cancel out with Fireball in a way that gets both players hurt, dashing across the stage and Fireballing off the edge is a very simple, quick and effective way of destroying recoveries. Your opponent has no jumps left (due to using a recfovery move) so when the moves cancel and they are knocked slightly away from the stage, they will have no chance of survival. You, on the other hand, get knocked towards the stage and have all your jumps left (besides the ground one). You enter a short period of freefall after the collision but this actually ends sooner than Fireball would normally if you hit just after leaving the stage. Your recovery should be easy and leave plenty of time to prepare for their next life.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
He had several encounters with the higher-ups of the SWF Staff. I don't mean infractions, I mean as in warnings, offers for helping him get help, all that whatnot that other people did in his threads as well. He just ignored everything and kept on posting violent/disturbing/sexual topics, which MLG has prohibited us from allowing.

Aaaanyways, kinda crappy to see him kicked out. He was one of the first guys I ever saw posting in the Melee Character-specifics, mostly here and the Pichu boards. One of his last words was "Pichu>Kirby"... :|

Top Bottom