• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
The only decent Kirby I've played is Armada.

So my viewpoint of the matchup is pretty distorted >_____>;

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Bowser's down B is outright trash. Uair and fair are both decent KO moves, but bowser is serious dair or jump off inhale bait.
Looks like I need to work on my Bowser matchup then (though every matchup needs work TBH). I'll get right on that once my Wii starts playing gamecube games again.

EDIT: Of course down B is crap, it's a Stone variant. *facepalm*

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Bowser get trashed by Kirby, once he's offstage take the ledge and then weakbair him to strong bair, or just keep bairing him till he dies, because if he DI away he can't recover with his upB since it don't give any forward motion.

So take the ledge, bair either keep bairing or go back to the ledge and repeat.. he CANNOT get in.
And on stage just get him into the air and then utilt that ***, for what I remember you can utilt any aerial attack, even the dair.. so airdodge mf airdodge, and when he does.. bair that *** out of the stage.
And fair pressure on shield is super safe, bair pressure also.. for example, full spaced bair to turnaround grab(do not run just turnaround if you spaced it well you can grab him because you got pwn grabrange + that bowser put his claws forth when he blocks) and there you go, you basicly got a shine-grab option lol.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much, since he can't do anything about it, he can jump away, but you can always follow.. and remember you also got the awesome flame cancel glitch xD though it might not be much of use :p
But for most parts I would suggest that whenever you can, taunt that thing away because inhale is a valid gimp move against most characters in the game.. esp bowser for example.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Inhale is good indeed so yes, taunt it away as soon as possible. You should have plenty of oportunities to do so as Bowser is the slowest character in the game.

Also, stupid question but does the AI DI into the firebreath or is that just how it works? If firebreath really does drag Bowser towards you (which I doubt) then it's a great set up for further Utilting.
I suspect it's just another case of AI stupidity, not realising that my Utilt comes out faster than anything they have when they're in flames. The same can't be said in reverse though as I can walk straight through his firebreath to Ftilt him.

Skyson

Smash Ace
Closer to the edge, could you go for inhale -> spit out (release? idk what you want to dub it, not copy? <_<) -> edgeguard?

Bowser doesn't seem to enjoy having to recover from high, unless he would do it with a Down B -> ledgegrab. If he does that, you could bair/fair/uair.

But if he's in the air off the stage, then you're at the advantage. Bowser in the air vs Kirby on the ground sounds favorable. Lots of tools for Kirby to keep Bowser airborne, not as many movement options/attacks to get Bowser safely back to the ground.

I've never actually played Kirby/Bowser, can you really do Copy -> Utilt? I didn't think that worked on anyone, or most characters had an attack they could do out of copy that was fast enough to prevent you or counter you being able to follow up with an attack after Copy. I would think Bowser could nair after the copy, unless someone can confirm that you can just Copy -> Utilt. That's hilarious.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
its called the reaper throw. The inhale is called the reaper grab. And kirby is called the pink reaper obv
I play Keeby so your naming does not apply to me.

I've never actually played Kirby/Bowser, can you really do Copy -> Utilt? I didn't think that worked on anyone, or most characters had an attack they could do out of copy that was fast enough to prevent you or counter you being able to follow up with an attack after Copy. I would think Bowser could nair after the copy, unless someone can confirm that you can just Copy -> Utilt. That's hilarious.
I'm pretty sure it does actually work on Bowser at atleast some percents. At low percents he might be able to do omething about it (not sure) but he has to be very close to do anything before you can Utilt and I don't think he can counter it. At medium percents he may be able to fast fall into something quick enough but at the highest you can juggle him rather well.

If it turns out I'm wrong though, it should be possible to Dodge away from his counter and Flamebreath im instead.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
how do i go about practicing with kirby, what should i practice and what should i know

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
The first thing you should do is pick a character who isnt Kirby then practice them. Then you should main that character.
i contemplate posting that on this thread all the time, but fact is, i want to be able to play all bottom tiers, i main fox and sheik, with secondary yoshi, i just wana know how to go about playing kirby

BunBun

Smash Master
i contemplate posting that on this thread all the time, but fact is, i want to be able to play all bottom tiers, i main fox and sheik, with secondary yoshi, i just wana know how to go about playing kirby
Practicing with Kirby is just making sure you know the exact range of his tilts, crouch, 3rd hit fair, uair and bair spam.

The rest of it is just getting shine spiked.

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I swear that I can safe fair bowsers shield, and if I remember correctly I said spaced fair, which means, it's outside of his ubB hitbox range but still inrange of you still being able to get a grab and hit his shield.

Don't really get the whole shinespike thing, I've gotten shinespiked like.. utterly few, and when I do it's not me getting shine spiked because the other read me it's because I messed(control johns, I spoke with people w/e).. when I concentrate I never get shine spiked, unless I don't have a single hop left and gotta do 'A' recovery only to survive.

You want a really easy owning bowser tip?, bair him offstage, force him to go for the ledge, and then inhale and cide cancel..
And copy to bair is really solid if you do it frame perfect, at lower(mid on bowser lol) you can bair, bair to regrab or bair bair, wavedash utilt fullspacing on shield..
Kirby is pretty beast imo, then again I play PAL :)

BunBun

Smash Master
Good Foxes, when they're not platform gaying you, can just hit you off stage and shine you out of just about any recovery or moves you could possibly do. Two shines and Kirby is toast.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Nizro plays good foxes lol

But i'm on the whole shine spike is gay movement ofc

kirby vs bowser's so fun, I just space fairs all day, bowser can't do **** gainst that

ryuu seika

Smash Master
On the subject of practicing Kirby, Swallowcide cancel seems like the only technique that needs mastering. The rest comes simply from knowing how to use your basic techniques as well as possible.

And on another note, do you lot still believe Fireball is bad? It's almost guarunteed damage and passes through to avoid follow ups when blocked. The downside is that you are almost certainly taking damge too but it hits through Marth's sword attacks like nothing else Kirby has. As I see it, it isn't a staple but it is a very useful move when you have no safe aproach.

Tamoo

Smash Master
The thing with dash attack is, for some reason, it always hits my opponent. I really don't understand it and it's such a crap move, but for some reason, I'm never punished and always get free percent from it and it just doesn't make sends.

I just don't think most people realise kirby has a dash attack lol, so they don't cover it

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That isn't what I'm saying. Yes, it's unexpected and that aspect may make it better than it would overwise be but my point is not that.

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how I aproach, a Marth will out prioritise me with the sword but, for whatever reason, Fireball will still deal damage, when other attacks won't. I still take the sword attack damage but they take damage too and are now in a much worse position. The same thing happens to a lesser extent (I don't have to use Fireball as much) against the rest of the cast.
I'm just wondering why fireball seems to go through everything and why that ability hasn't made it more popular.

Skyson

Smash Ace
It's an unexpected thing for a Kirby to just come lunging at you since that's never what he should be doing.

Marth of all characters has everything under the sun to say "get that rubbish out of here" when Kirby approaches him on the ground with a dash attack. It's just... not a suitable move for anything.

It's, like, a free 5% or something sometimes. It never combos into anything, usually always leaves you vulnerable, and is all-around a bad move. <_<

Triple R

Smash Lord
Not to mention that it is too easy to just crouch cancel the fireball and punish it. Ever get your fireball crouch cancelled and get rested? I have lol

BunBun

Smash Master
It's an unexpected thing for a Kirby to just come lunging at you since that's never what he should be doing.

Marth of all characters has everything under the sun to say "get that rubbish out of here" when Kirby approaches him on the ground with a dash attack. It's just... not a suitable move for anything.

It's, like, a free 5% or something sometimes. It never combos into anything, usually always leaves you vulnerable, and is all-around a bad move. <_<
The grab trick combos the dash attack into a grab on fox at low percents xD

Top Bottom