• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

ryuu seika

Smash Master
1. Side B is occasionally good but rarely. Down B is only good against Master Hand.
2. Fox is worst. There's almost nothing you can do if they know the matchup and no, even the Pichu matchup is in their favour.
3. I like Dreamland because it forces movement and Battlefield because it messes with Pikachu but I seem to win a lot on Yoshi's Story for some reason. This is probably useless to you though so ignore it.
4 & 5. Not Sure

EDIT: woah, I missed a page!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
enh... I like battlefield as pika... Don't pick against Pichu though, because we love that stage :3
Kirbyland is only a good stage when not fighting other floaties with a good recovery... because it takes so long for them to die... its good against like Marth :D

Massive

Smash Champion
i main falco and everyone hates on me because of it lol. so i decided to pick up kirby :grin:.
i have a few questions
1. are kirby's down b and side b good for anything?
2. what are his worst match ups and are any match ups in his favor?
3. is there a stage that will tilt the scales in his favor?
4. whats up with his back/forward throw, why can people break out of it?
5. who are the top kirby mains? cause im going to be watching their game play.
Thank You
1. Down B is great for recovering to the ledge when high above the stage. You can drop out of rock right at stage and usually grab it before they have much of a chance to do anything (pretty much the only thing to use down-B for, lol). Side B can open utilt combos on susceptible characters (mostly slowish characters who have poor hit recovery options). We probably need a list of these somewhere.

2. Fox is the worst, period.
Against characters people actually play, I think Gannondorf is probably kirby's best matchup, even then it is ROUGH. I've had many good experiences vs Marth, but that's because I'm an ******* and have tons of floaty practice (I'm a jiggs main).

3. RRR seems to swear by brinstar depths because of the d-throw on the eggs deal, but I find any battlefield and dreamland 64 are the most beneficial to kirby. Any stage with a platform is in your advantage, you can uair people recovering on platforms for reasonably successful KO potential.
FD also works well on characters with easily punished recoveries (Marth, Gannondorf, Falcon, Marios, Falco).

4. Some play tester at Nintendo probably thought that kirby being able to kill anyone around the ledge instantly was an overpowered tactic, so they added the escape maneuver. Fthrow and Bthrow are worthless; never, ever, use them.

5. 'Top' is subjective. The only active Kirby mains I can think of in the US tourney scene are RRR and BunBun. I have played kirby against quite a few really good people over the years, but I'm definitely not a Kirby main. I don't know of many videos (if any) you can study to any benefit. Playing kirby is more about understanding how to read, manipulate, and defeat your opponent with a very limited moveset than it is about preforming cool kirby techniques.

If/when you start beating them, people will hate on your kirby 100x more than your falco. I am a jiggs player, and people repeatedly tell me they would rather play my jiggs.

The best part about playing kirby though is that if you lose, you can always call them a tier***** (I have never and will never lose to a pichu on kirby, but at the same time I consider him better than kirby, hahaha).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
confirming that multi-jumpers (kirby, puff) have horizontal momentum decay built into their aerial jump animations, and that performing an aerial cancels that. fair isn't the only one that does it, it's any aerial.

Triple R

Smash Lord
i main falco and everyone hates on me because of it lol. so i decided to pick up kirby :grin:.
i have a few questions
1. are kirby's down b and side b good for anything?
2. what are his worst match ups and are any match ups in his favor?
3. is there a stage that will tilt the scales in his favor?
4. whats up with his back/forward throw, why can people break out of it?
5. who are the top kirby mains? cause im going to be watching their game play.
Thank You
1. Aerial side B is sometimes good against big slow characters like I think someone said early. You can be punished even after hitting most characters with it. Maybe a tricky ledge jump option. Down B like someone said go to ledge fast. Otherwise punish insanely aggressive chasers high up.

2. Fox is by for the worst. Marth and Sheik are probably next. As far as matches in Kirby's favor. That's hard to say. One of the old matchup threads on here says Kirby beats Roy, but it's probably even. I honestly don't know if there really a matchup that is in Kirby's favor, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bunch of even ones.

3. For a neutral I like BF. The ledges mess up certain characters and the placement of platforms seem to help Kirby. My second pick would probably be FoD. Again the movement of the platforms messes with other characters and not Kirby much. I stay away from FD like the plague. I always ban it, and I mean ALWAYS. Too many characters can just out speed Kirby there, giving them more chances to hit and run than Kirby ever will. As Massive mentioned already I do like Brinstar, and not just because the dthrow thing, God Massive. The lava messes up so many characters and most people, believe or not, or just too dumb to avoid the lava. Also if you bthrow into the tentacle things you can legitimately combo with a bair afterwards cause of the weird DI they create. Additionally the platforms on both side always Kirby to mix up his bad recovery into a still bad but slightly better guessing game. Currently I'm having trouble with Marth on Brinstar, but most other characters I don't just fine against them there. I use to CP DK 64 alot, but the possibility of someone just running away the whole time just got to great, so I only pull that out once in a while.

4. People already stated my theory: The developers thought it would be too cheap to Kirbycide with throws so they let the opponent have the option to break out. This theory seems sound to me cause in Brawl they altogether toke out the ability to fly of stage with grabs, and they also made Kirby's inhale Kirbycide kill both characters on the same frame. It all sounds like an attempt to either balance the game or make it more fun.

5. This is a really hard question. I usually consider myself a top Kirby main by default lol. There are very few people who actually play Kirby. I was just reminded of Kuya, cause he just posted vids. He's good. There's also Nashun I think. I think he actually plays Kirby. BunBun does, but I'm not actually sure how much. He thankfully humored me with Kirby dittos when we met, thanks BunBun, you taught me things ;). Who else ummm... I know I'm forgetting people. Oh yeah, like someone already said Armada plays Kirby in low tier. Maybe T!mmy still plays Kirby in Melee? Massive plays some. Does Pink Reaper actually play Kirby? Do people have intel on that lol? I don't know there are people out there, but very few actually play Kirby exclusively.

You're videos are very fun to watch, since there's not much Kirby material to compare with lol.

With the Sheik I think you need to play more patient. You probably should crouch more too. She can't grab you that way. Plus while you are crouching your dtilt outspaces basically everything, pretty sure it even reaches further than her ftilt. This will force her into jumping more and throwing needles at you or fair. This is when you can take the opportunity to jump and fair her with 30 kicks.

Teams is hard to judge playstyles on, but I saw what looked like saving your partner with inhale on accident, good stuff lol. You guys were just better than the other two for sure.

Peach set. I thought you were doing good. I think you should bait the dsmash on platform more. Lots of peaches can't resist it, and if you wait it's just a free uair. I think you know but fair is good against peach cause i saw you doing it. It's just kinda one of those matchups it's hard to give advice. It's really just spacing and mindgames.

Either way good stuff. You're Kirby's good and it's fun to watch.

BunBun

Smash Master
I play Kirby a lot I just don't use him very often in brackets if I drove hours to get there lol.
Or against Fox.

Anyway, MIST is tomorrow and will be streamed, so if you want to see my Kirby and be disappointed request it in the stream chat.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I just wanted to say thank you for playing Kirby on the stream BunBun, and for beating Kel's Falco in a friendly while on it.

Massive

Smash Champion
My favorite antifox tactic with kirby is to chase him off the ledge and suck him up while he's in the start up frames of foxfire.

You will never see a fox player rage as hard as when you do that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Reverse Bair > Uair is the sexiest thing on a Firefox startup ever

The positioning is very specific though so it's probably better to soft Bair > strong Bair or whatever

Massive

Smash Champion
Sort of a slight change of subject, but my favorite thing about the kirby vs. marth matchup is trading a reverse bair with dolphin slash.

Guaranteed recovery gimp.

Triple R

Smash Lord
WTH?!

I know just about everything in terms of Tales series moves.
For example, Kirby's aerial hammer is "Tempest" and the one you pick up is "Piko Piko Hamma!"

Marth, as a generic fantasy swordsman, is especially prone to this.
Doesn't tiger blade go up then back down in 2 swipes? How is that like one solid swipe up?

Top Bottom