• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
that sounds like... not that much fun actually :\
your dair is a fun move.

one thing that really bothers me: why does kirby have like 6 jumps but his recovery still kinda sux?

Massive

Smash Champion
Good vertical, baaaaaaad horizontal.

To improve horizontal recovery, do an uair/fair after each jump (uair is the best for distance, fair is the best for safety).

Up-B is just a bad move, air dodge is kirby's true final jump.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I still almost always use fair. Sometimes I throw in uairs if I wanna gain height before I get closer to the stage.

Massive

Smash Champion
It's simple really. Fair adds horizontal momentum without much height loss and Uair adds a slight bit of upwards.
This is what we've already observed, lol.
Although I'd say he's more maintaining horizontal momentum than gaining it. My best guess is that since kirby's vertical jumps cause substantial horizontal deceleration at their apex, preforming an attack before the frames where deceleration occurs allows you to maintain a larger horizontal vector.

The only other character who comes to mind with a similar jumping issue is Luigi.
Perhaps something like this is already better documented amidst those guys? I'm pretty sure there are more Luigis than Kirbys.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Its better because kirby said so gosh.

Kirby's upB should be like luigi's UpB. and up tilt should combo into it. then he would be pretty beast.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
MOOOOOMENTUM O.O

its always the winner.

I seem to have trouble doing the whole fair jumping whatnots, i only get as far as the normal jumps take me, am i falling too long?

Triple R

Smash Lord
MOOOOOMENTUM O.O

its always the winner.

I seem to have trouble doing the whole fair jumping whatnots, i only get as far as the normal jumps take me, am i falling too long?
Try going all the way under Dreamland 64. If you do regular jumps you shouldn't be able to make it. With fair jumping you should be able to Upb and reach the other side.

Triple R

Smash Lord
You should beat BunBun in another Kirby ditto.
That's so uncalled for Wake... Shame on you.

Also I think Usmash is good for stuffing approaches from certain characters if you can predict it. It has some decent range on the front sour spot. If you hit spacies with it, you can usually combo afterwards.

Wake

Smash Master
That's so uncalled for Wake... Shame on you.

Also I think Usmash is good for stuffing approaches from certain characters if you can predict it. It has some decent range on the front sour spot. If you hit spacies with it, you can usually combo afterwards.
That foot is way too big.

RRR you're gonna have to win the slumberlan thing now. I won't be able to make it anymore :(. You got it easy! Do you know if anyone else from MN is going?

Triple R

Smash Lord
RRR you're gonna have to win the slumberlan thing now. I won't be able to make it anymore :(. You got it easy! Do you know if anyone else from MN is going?
What? Why aren't you going anymore? I don't even know if anyone else in MN is really going. They see $20 and they say no. I already registered so there's no way I'm going to miss it.

Wake

Smash Master
What? Why aren't you going anymore? I don't even know if anyone else in MN is really going. They see $20 and they say no. I already registered so there's no way I'm going to miss it.
Well I guess it isn't 100% that I'm not going... It just isn't looking good. And yeah, MN is cheap hahaha

And the BunBun thing is because in the Genesis 2 stream chat, there were like a million BunBuns so I said that to find the real one.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
When Kirby and Jigglypuff inflate themselves for their double jumps, their momentum gets reduced for some reason. However, if they're attacking with certain moves, they don't suffer this penalty. This is why Uair and Fair boost your recovery length (Uair will take your further overall).

...I think.

I'm not sure that's the exact reason, but I think that's what Magus/SB/whoever told me.

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
i main falco and everyone hates on me because of it lol. so i decided to pick up kirby :grin:.
i have a few questions
1. are kirby's down b and side b good for anything?
2. what are his worst match ups and are any match ups in his favor?
3. is there a stage that will tilt the scales in his favor?
4. whats up with his back/forward throw, why can people break out of it?
5. who are the top kirby mains? cause im going to be watching their game play.
Thank You

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Don't worry, people don't hate you, just you combos, pressure, and lasers :D
I have a few answers
1. looking fancy :D
2. I don't believe he has any positive matchups... maybe an even matchup somewhere...
3. always pick KIRBYLAND :D
4. Uh... they can DI out of it because sakurai (and team) thought it would be cheap to do suicide kills? idk lol
5. Me of course :p
Your Welcome.

now I leave it up to the actual kirby players to answer your questions seriously/with some Idea what they are talking about, byez ^^

BunBun

Smash Master
i main falco and everyone hates on me because of it lol. so i decided to pick up kirby :grin:.
i have a few questions
1. are kirby's down b and side b good for anything?
2. what are his worst match ups and are any match ups in his favor?
3. is there a stage that will tilt the scales in his favor?
4. whats up with his back/forward throw, why can people break out of it?
5. who are the top kirby mains? cause im going to be watching their game play.
Thank You
Just stick to Falco.
Kirby isn't worth learning. The only reason we play him is because we like the character and have resigned ourselves to the fact that he is utter trash.
And we all have other characters.

1. Down B can be useful for getting to certain spots, and for slant mindgames (just don't get ****ed on DK64)
2. Fox is unwinnable. Roy/Bowser/Pichu/Ness are all even or in Kirby's favor.
3. Very matchup dependent. Dreamland is usually a good choice, but you'd never want to take a Fox there. FoD is a good choice, but you'd never want to take a Samus or Jiggs there. FD is good to ban against characters that must spend the match spacing aerials (like Ganon). It's super matchup dependent.
4. Because he is a bad character
5. There are none. Armada has some Kirby videos from a European low tier tournament, but that's vs low tiers and none of them know how to really gay you up. I would say KKK, but what worked in '06 doesn't work anymore. Occasionally I put videos up on my channel, but I'm not a top player, and the people I play with are generally a good bit better than me.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh I'm actually gonna be serious for a minute, Kirby/Pichu is close, but I wouldn't call it even. Its like a 55-45 Pichu (some people say 60-40 pichu...) , but if kirby couldn't techchase dthrows it would be even more so in pichu's favor. The good things for kirby in that matchup are that he can actually kill pichu, but pichu can dthrow-> upsmash... Kirby also isn't going to easily edgeguard Pichu while pichu easily gimps kirby.

But the matchup is still pretty close.

Top Bottom