• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

BunBun

Smash Master
Kirby with 'dorf's power is top tier.
Mostly because of HAIR.
Speaking of awesome powers...

I killed Iori with a Kirby Falcon Punch on Wednesday.

I took his power.
Lots of people were watching.
IHSB said "Why haven't you falcon punched him?"
I said "I need to set it up"
3 seconds later, Iori gets Falcon Punched.

Great moment in Memphis smash.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The one thing you never ever do against Kirby is Falcon/Warlock Punch him when he's got your powers.
Doing so is a surefire way to get punched yourself and being punched out of the ending lag of said punch makes it even stronger than normal.

Massive

Smash Champion
I am now reviving the oldest argument.

The best absorbed powers in order are:

GOD TIER
Falco's Lasers

HIGH TIER
Sheik's Needles
Doc's Pills
Samus's Charge Beam
Mewtwo's Shadowball
PIKACHUUUUU

MID TIER
Mario's Fireballs
Pichupiiiii
Donkey Punch
The Great Bowscago Fire
Luigiballs
Fox's Lasers

LOW TIER
Slip'n Slidecicles
Teh Fiyar Sword
Hair Band Sword
Spinning Princess Blue Crap
Mushroom Slave Parry
Meat.
ICE COLD PUNCH

Impotence Tier
Lazy Arrows
Young Flaming Lazy Arrows
PK FRASH
GRRRRRRAAAAAAAAUUUUUUOOOOH!

BunBun

Smash Master
Before I state my opinions, there are a lot of things that need to be sorted out. Are these talking about 1v1 matches? In that case, everyone needs to realize that the only character it matters against is the character you get the power from.

Is it in teams? The big question here is are you teaming with them and taking their power (as is the **** Kirby Falco team) or is the power coming from the enemy?

Straight up, you cannot do just one list.

Massive

Smash Champion
I just did.
Boom.
(This is a singles list.)

A teams list would be so subjective and convoluted it would be terrifying.
The biggest difference in teams is that Falcon Punch and Warlock Punch become incredibly useful.

Massive

Smash Champion
I forgot rollout actually.
It'd be at the very top of Low Tier.

It's not a move a lot of people actually know how to use, even jigglypuff players.
I'm terrible at resting dudes, so I've learned some ******** rollout games that apply to Kirby just as much as Jiggs. I doubt i'd ever take that power though, Kirby may be the only character who can successfully gimp Jigglypuff's recovery with any regularity using swallow/dair.

Meat is MEAT.
Meat and watch uses meat to meat meat.

MEAT.

BunBun

Smash Master
I forgot rollout actually.
It'd be at the very top of Low Tier.

It's not a move a lot of people actually know how to use, even jigglypuff players.
I'm terrible at resting dudes, so I've learned some ******** rollout games that apply to Kirby just as much as Jiggs. I doubt i'd ever take that power though, Kirby may be the only character who can successfully gimp Jigglypuff's recovery with any regularity using swallow/dair.

Meat is MEAT.
Meat and watch uses meat to meat meat.

MEAT.
Jigg's Uair outpriorities Kirby's dair.

Wake

Smash Master
Yes Randall, I know exactly what situation you were referring to when you were talking about using that up-b-->jab reset. That was surprising when you pulled that one out. You'll pay for that.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Yes Randall, I know exactly what situation you were referring to when you were talking about using that up-b-->jab reset. That was surprising when you pulled that one out. You'll pay for that.
Haha, I doubt it will last much longer since you've been through this thread. Just be honored you were my first victim of the upb jab reset kirby gimmick. I'll have to come up with another trick to mess around with. I already had another idea for the same situation. Let's see if I can do it tonight!

Massive

Smash Champion
Jigg's Uair outpriorities Kirby's dair.
Yes, but to use uair they basically have to burn a jump, and on stages like FD or dreamland Jiggs cant afford to do that.
Jigglypuff has pretty bad vertical recovery and has to use pound to recover from a lot of stuff, there's is a substantial amount of time after pound where jiggs is vulnerable.

Even if they use uair, you can still trade a dair with it, robbing them of a bit of vertical.

It's all suprsingly effective until they figure out to recover away from the stage.

TripleR said:
I'll have to come up with another trick to mess around with.
Dthrow > jab Reset > dsmash is Gorgeous, especially on space animals at higher %s.

Massive

Smash Champion
I maintain that kirby has the best Dthrow on a platform in the entire game. Spacies are literally forced to take way more damage than they want if they get grabbed on a platform.
Platform dthrow is a free damage tech chase until their % is high enough to DI off the platform.

It is super duper rare to see anybody decent get grabbed on platforms though.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Why is Kirby's d-throw tech chase on platforms so good? Can't they just tech in place and shine occasionally to get out?

Also, there's the matter of grabbing them on the platform in the first place...

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes Randall, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Did somebody say Randall?

BunBun

Smash Master
While that is true, you don't always get to see the fly guys in time lol

At even tens spots and 4 on the single (:04, :24, :44) randall comes out of the left side of the stage.
At odd tens spots and 4 on the single (:14, :34, :54) he comes out of the bottom of the right side. The end.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
We actually had this discussion in the MBR the other day. It's not the fact that he's random it's that you cant control when you're actually in control of the match. Like, no matter how good Dr PP is he can never force a combo to only happen when Randall cant save his opponent. Pseudo-Random

BunBun

Smash Master
That's like saying Rainbow Cruise or Pokefloats is pseudo-random.

You can plan on it, like any other part of the stage. If you're quick enough to realize what's going on, you should be able to adjust accordingly. There is absolutely no randomness involved. Find a different word, MBR.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
No it's different from RR and PF

YS being static means that a match plays out normally, two players fighting like two players would on any stage. Because of that things like shine combos from falco will happen, maybe a little Dair tech chase Dair shine waveland shine Dair off the right side. However when you do it this time, Randal is over there and suddenly the death combo you just did didnt kill. Now obviously since it's NOT random what you should have done is teleported your opponent to the other side of the screen since you knew Randall wouldnt be there.

Only you cant do that, and more so in a fast paced game it's not easy to, mid combo, check the clock to make sure that your combo isnt suddenly going to become moot because of a ****ing cloud. The random element has nothing to do with Randall, but rather the fact that where you happen to land w/e first hit IS random, you have no ability to control where and when you take control of the match to work around Randall.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Hah, I had a valid point for once!
Though nothing is truly random in YS, the way the match plays out means you can't control when stuff happens as easily as you can on a totally moving stage, meaning it's actually harder to play around that single little cloud than it is to play around a giant Chancey popping up beneath your opponent.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Oh hi guys.

EDIT: Since I have no idea where to start, and don't feel liking making a new thread/butting in... I just want to say that I'm officially back in the Smashing Community after my 2 year break. Of course, I'm owning with my GCN Kirby :p

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Smash boards has changed tons. AllisBrawl stayed the same. Ahem....

So I'm here because I can't beat Peach with my Kirby. It's one of those Peaches that spams turnips, down smash, and dash attacks. Along with occasional grabs. Yeeeeeeah...

...Yes, yes. There sure needs to be a holiday for me.

Massive

Smash Champion
Peach is actually one of kirby's better matchups (it only feels moderately in peach's favor!).

She is super duper vulnerable to utilt>uair/bair combos at low %s, as well as shield pokes with dtilt.
Turnip spam is usually handled by getting above her and approaching with dair, or going under with some wavedashes (which is a bit more complicated).

Peach is also one of the easier characters to kirbicide, half of her recovery is horizontal, locking her in place for longshot recoveries. Umbrella recovery is a bit annoying because of the wonky hitbox, but uair can deal with it pretty well.

Under no circumstances should you try to air hammer her, she recovers too quickly and can nair you out of it. I also recommend avoiding dthrows below about 30% for the same reason. It's probably also wise to avoid crouch cancelling her dsmash, but that's pretty obvious advice, lol.

Top Bottom