• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Dragoon Fighter - Wavedashing out of shield is a good way to deal with projectiles. Crouch powershielding is easier than just power shielding. You should try that.

BunBun

Smash Master
And it's not just one frame, IIRC. At any point when the projectile is inside the range of your shield when you put it up, it will deflect it. That's why it's easier to do it when crouched, as you have a longer time that it is in your shield range.

Also, having a max size shield helps.

'V'

Smash Lord
It also just takes a lot of practice. Have a Falco fire lasers at you for 5 minutes at a time. You'll learn it eventually.

Tamoo

Smash Master
It really doesn't take practice imo, unless you do it the lame way and don't hold l or r half way down when plugging in the controller :/
That way does take practice.

And yeah, love it when falco's just think, **** this, im just gonna dair shine all this match cos i can't do anything other than laser

ryuu seika

Smash Master
ryuu: considering you asked me if a match i showed you of me vs a uk falco was on lightning mode, i think you have no right to say that your friends looked 'pretty much the same as any other high level fox or falco'.
Heck it wasn't even a high level falco, it wasn't even a technical falco.
I never said Lightning Mode, I suggested 1/5th faster. It was obviously not double speed and it seems that that 20% extra is really just what it looks like when you're getting owned by someone who does't require time to think about moves. I've been on both sides of that now.

Next time you're in London, I'll give you a £50 money match. WHATEVER RULES YOU WANT. No limits. I'll even not 'break the game' and not wavedash if you want. I wont even lcancel. I will play with 0 TECHSKILL. I WILL NOT EVEN PLAY MY MAIN
I have nothing against any of those but wave dashing. Wave dashing is unfair, the rest, while also unfair on those without the know how to some degree, are a part of the game that is to be expected at tournament level.

It may be some time before I'm back in london, we'll see how things look then.

I have seen you play and that playstyle is barely fit for taking out cpus, nevermind humans.
I was crap back then. Good enough to take down SSB64's hardest but in no way good enough for Melee's opponents. Things have changed since then, you really shouldn't assume my pre-Melee level of play is any indication of my current skill.

hehe was just mega bored last night and being unnecessarily harsh was kinda fun.
Yeah, I don't mind, I'm used to being seen as a moronic noob TBH.

EDIT: new title's a definite improvement.

'V'

Smash Lord
Or just be me, and powershield 6 lasers at the beginning of the match, causing the falco to play without then the rest of the set lololol
It really doesn't take practice imo, unless you do it the lame way and don't hold l or r half way down when plugging in the controller :/
That way does take practice.

And yeah, love it when falco's just think, **** this, im just gonna dair shine all this match cos i can't do anything other than laser
I love it when that scenario happens. lol

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
ryuu seika I am trying to be as nice as possible with this statement, yes Wavedashing unbalances the game. No, it does not break it. If you wish to play melee with out wavedashing and wish to become pro more power to you, but for me that begs the question as to why you chose melee? I mean if you look at it from a logical perspective Super Smash Bros. Brawl has more characters (Well, mostly metaknight but still.) Though it did remove a lot of the other stuff like L-canceling and that is annoying. From your post you seem to have a problem with character balance, I.E. you like a balanced roster thus I can see you not liking brawl or melee.

I think Super Smash Bros 64 is probably your best bet, it has tech skill (Not as much as melee as it has no power shielding, or Wavedashing and something else that I can not think of at the moment please forgive me I am tired today.) BUT it has the BEST character balance hands down (Which I gather you like character balance.) and there is no wavedashing which you seem to dislike due to the character unbalance it creates.

I did make a lot of presumptions while typing this post if I got anything wrong I am sorry. I do not mean to be rude in anyway with this post. I am just wondering why melee?

@Pink Reapers Subject Change:...And? We know already. So does Kirby though I do not wish to discuses Kirby vs Pichu any more *Sigh*.

EDIT: WOW I WAS NINJA'd BY KIRBY'S UP B MOVE AND IT WAS AWESOME, BECAUSE IT WAS FROM A MOTORCYCLE!

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I say no because their bad decisions might make them unpredictable

but if they didn't think at all then their next move would be obvious

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I think Super Smash Bros 64 is probably your best bet, it has tech skill (Not as much as melee as it has no power shielding, or Wavedashing and something else that I can not think of at the moment please forgive me I am tired today.) BUT it has the BEST character balance hands down (Which I gather you like character balance.) and there is no wavedashing which you seem to dislike due to the character unbalance it creates.
It's not so much the fact that Wave Dashing gives some characters an unfair advantage that I dislike but rather the fact that it gives pretty much all the characters an unfair advantage over players who don't use it. Such a thing is fine with shielding, say, because shielding is an intended part of the game. Wave Dashing, on the other hand, was never intended but has still been taken up to the extent that you are almost forced into using it. Being forced to abuse the game mechanics is not something I could ever agree with.

why melee?
Because, while the only game in the series that allows me to play as non-Kirby characters (I don't know why I can't in the others, I just never seem to be able o aim my jumps right and such), 64 was rather limited in its character roster and moveset when compared to the others, leading to a lower level of move variation and as such it just doesn't feel like it involves the same level of skill as the others. It's still a great game and the ability to win as Link, Yoshi and Mario are always a plus but it just doesn't have the feel of serious play.
That and I was told that N64 Kirby was actually quite good, while his later incarnations are pretty rubbish. I, being who I am, could not resist the chance to prove my worth, along with that of my character.

So that's why not 64, as for why not brawl, the reason's simple: My wii won't read it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
It's not so much the fact that Wave Dashing gives some characters an unfair advantage that I dislike but rather the fact that it gives pretty much all the characters an unfair advantage over players who don't use it. Such a thing is fine with shielding, say, because shielding is an intended part of the game. Wave Dashing, on the other hand, was never intended but has still been taken up to the extent that you are almost forced into using it. Being forced to abuse the game mechanics is not something I could ever agree with.
Im going to say this right now while im still thinking like a mod, no one is to respond to this. If anyone turns this thread into a competitive vs non-competitive argument you will be infracted. That is all.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You might have a broken disk drive... Send it to Nintendo?
Yes, I suffer from the inability to use dual layered discs due to having a first gen Wii. I can't send it back though because they won't take it without proof of purchase.

I preordered for gods sake, how can they honestly expect me to have the reciept after all these years?

Triple R

Smash Lord
Lol poor Bluezaft.

Work on your Doc matchup lol. Steve double elim'd you lol.
Yeah, that kinda did suck lol. He played the matchup well and camped so hard. It sounds sad getting camped by a Doc, but it was rough. Grab to fair kills kirby at such low %, even on DK 64. XD. Next time if I remember I'm going to try and get the power and camp back. That's what I did against Amanze and it seemed to work OK.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Question...What B moves are worth trying to swallow and which ones are complete garbage? I know a few of them are obvious like Falco's Lazer is bad because of the stupid shine, but I wish an opinion of the general Kirby community on which B moves are good and which are bad.

Awesome Triple R to get that far with Kirby is amazing.

BunBun

Smash Master

Your opponent has the reflector making the formally awesome power bad.
Lol not at all xD. Falco lasers are amazing. The shine isn't really a problem. Hop multiple lasers while you approach/run away. So what if he shines some back? It gives you wayyyyyyy more options, as well as very good pressure.

Yeah, that kinda did suck lol. He played the matchup well and camped so hard. It sounds sad getting camped by a Doc, but it was rough. Grab to fair kills kirby at such low %, even on DK 64. XD. Next time if I remember I'm going to try and get the power and camp back. That's what I did against Amanze and it seemed to work OK.
Heh, I played Dogysamich's Doc this weekend. Every KO he got was dthrow fair xD. That's depressing as ****.

Pills are your best friend.
Ftilt and spaced fairs are also amazing.

Crouch is almost worthless =(

B Move information based on usefulness against character aquired from:
(Values not ranked inside tiers)

God Tier:
Falcon's Falcon Punch
Ganon's Warlock Punch
(obv. joking)

Very Good:
Bowser's Flame Breath
Falco's Lasers
Doc's Pills

'Meh sure why not' Tier:
Mewtwo's Shadow Ball

Borderline:
Shiek's Needles
Pikachu's Thundershock
Samus's Blast
Mario's Fireballs
IC's IceBlock (though Inhale is preferred)

Not Very Useful:
Fox's Lasers (debatable, however I can explain my view if you'd like)
Marth's Shieldbreaker
Link's Light Arrows
Young Link's Fire Arrows
Roy's Flare Blade
Pichu's Jolt
Ness's PK Flash
Luigi's Fireball
GW's Sausage

Trash:
Jigglypuff's Rollout (Excepting the Flat Kirby glitch lol)
Peach's Toad
Yoshi's NOMNOMNOMNOM
Zelda's Nayru's Love
DK's Punch

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Wow, thanks :)! I do have a few questions though...

Question 1: What is your view on Foxes Lazers? Why did you rank them the way you did?

Question 2: You mean to say that Sheiks broken needles do not translate to broken for Kirby (I imagined it would be in the "Sure why not tier")?

Question 3: Doc Pills are ranked that way for the same reason that you ranked Falco's lazers, right?

Once again thank you I started thinking about that subject today, and I was not completely sure on a lot of the characters so that really helps :).

BunBun

Smash Master
1: Fox's lasers can give you the ability to do a bit of ranged damage, but it's nothing that changes the matchup at all. They don't stun, and it's not even a good utility to harass with. If you do it on approach, you get smacked in the face in the air. If you use it to "force the fox to approach", I just say 'lol' because Fox CAN just shine and chill there. Inhale is preferable on the off chance that you can catch bad spacing and kirbycide, or just spit him out into a slightly less-neutral position.

2: Sheik's broken needles aren't really broken because they are good projectiles; they're broken because she can do them in the air into an instant, lagless land into a move or grab. That's absolutely amazing, and completely lost on Kirby because of his slow falling speed and slow ground movement. However, they are minorly useful for the ability to reverse needle cancel to the ledge or simply to turn around, so that's why they're not outright bad. Inhale is def. more useful, though.

3: More or less. Projectile with a good angle that stuns.

'V'

Smash Lord
1: Fox's lasers can give you the ability to do a bit of ranged damage, but it's nothing that changes the matchup at all. They don't stun, and it's not even a good utility to harass with. If you do it on approach, you get smacked in the face in the air. If you use it to "force the fox to approach", I just say 'lol' because Fox CAN just shine and chill there. Inhale is preferable on the off chance that you can catch bad spacing and kirbycide, or just spit him out into a slightly less-neutral position.

2: Sheik's broken needles aren't really broken because they are good projectiles; they're broken because she can do them in the air into an instant, lagless land into a move or grab. That's absolutely amazing, and completely lost on Kirby because of his slow falling speed and slow ground movement. However, they are minorly useful for the ability to reverse needle cancel to the ledge or simply to turn around, so that's why they're not outright bad. Inhale is def. more useful, though.

3: More or less. Projectile with a good angle that stuns.
I agree with all of this.

I do, however, want to point out that you can use Sheik's needles in the air to a buffered D-tilt. Not that it's all that useful, but it's another option.

'V'

Smash Lord
worst.
****ing.
list.
ever.

you really dont know **** about kirby do you.
I think it was a decent list. He made some good points too. Kirby can't utilize Fox lasers as well as Fox can and can't utilize Needles as well as Sheik can. Still, I'd rather use them over inhale because both characters can severely punish when you miss. It's not that hard for them to avoid it most of the time.

Luigi's fireballs I find to be almost as useful as Mario's. Fireballs can be used for more than just projectiles. They're great for following up.

Can't really say much for T-shock and T-jolt. Shadow Ball is great though. Rollout can at least be used as a recovery utility in case you're being heavily edgeguarded and run out of jumps. Having Pound would be amazing.

Top Bottom