• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

UobteX

Smash Cadet
This was a very good read. The only question I have is in regards to applying this to tournament situations. Is it more effective to consciously think of our playstyle while we're in a match, or is it better to run on "autopilot"? I'm definitely going to pay attention to how I play in practice, but what about in tournaments? Do we perform better if we just let our subconscious (so to speak) take over?

Thanks again for the good post.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Very very good read, thanks for the effort you put into that. I say no matter how much tournament experience you may have, or how much skill you may have, there's always an opportunity to learn more about Smash, or at least brush up on things.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Just wanted to comment on this topic because it is a very great read and well written. Reading this topic actually helped me improve my game alot(which was it's intention in the first place). Great job and just wanted to post to show my appreciation.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much! I recently started focusing on spacing, and my survivability has increased a lot. My friends are so frustrated now that they can't hit me!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Azen's "Don't jump into ****" is important, considering in Brawl, defensive tactics have improved since Melee, and combos aren't there to save you. Lol at the "Don't get hit".

Ominous

Smash Apprentice
@ Freezewish730 i see yu like maths lol

well i hope ou have fun with that lol

and if you keep lossing then dont stop thinkin of what you are doing wrong...

just keep at it, you know...

Spazzums

Smash Apprentice
this was a fantastic post of advice
maybe i can learn to suck less :x
spacing is my biggest problem by far

watch out world, when Spazzums gets her spacing, you're all doomed!

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the great advice. this is exactly how my friend who doesn't kow a single AT can beat me some of the time.

I'm gonna go play a low level CPU (for a change) and work on this stuff.

CitizenSWORD

Smash Rookie
Not to raise the dead or anything, but...
This is an awesome F-ing post.

That point about training on low-level CPUs is excellent advice.

smashbros.maniac

Smash Cadet
Nice thread! I've been needing to work on the basics, myself... I've been getting really rusty lately, and I haven't been winning many matches because I've been focusing on reading my own character and not staying cool in an intense situation. Some of those tips should be read once every month to be as a reminder! xD

Thanks for the long, and very well written, awesome post! ^_^

DylantheNinja

Smash Cadet
lol up until I started using shiek in melee I barely realised tilts existed, and now I use tilts all the time. I play DDD alot too, and spacing for him is very important, especially if I ever get the notion into my head to try an f smash (funny, it's so slow, people don't think about it, and it hits too much because of it). You not only have to space to be good defensively, but with characters like DDD and Marth, you need good spacing to have good offense. I have to agree that people tend to get caught up in learning the advance stuff, when mastering the basics is truly key. The advanced stuff is like the giga jiggly glitch, its pretty useless, just a "look what I can do" thing. The main thing I think I'll take away from this is to watch my opponent. Personally, my screen is small enough I can focus on us both, but watching my opponent is very important, keep my self in peripheral. I'll have to work on that. Also, I dash too much. I never have been able to get used to walking, but because of it I've developed a playstyle centered around dashing. For instance, with mk, dash attack>u smash. It's inescapable at lower %.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Great post. I think the main message is to play smart. Don't play based on random impulses, think through how you play the game. Make every move count, and don't do attacks and dodges randomly if you have no clue what the results will be.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to post and say thanks to the OP - this has helped me out tremendously.

"Don't get hit" - such simple advice that's improved my game within 10 min of trying it. I used to have trouble beating a single lvl 9 Snake, now I can beat 2 lvl 9's in a row before dying once - all I do is just keep repeating to myself "Don't get hit"

I'm gonna keep training with lvl 3's, but I just wanted to thank the OP - really a GREAT post

KO M

Smash Apprentice
Very nice guide... but you forgot one thing.
Dont play online o_o

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I will now learn to walk.

~I GOTTA NEW WAY TO WALK~
~WALK WALK~

Thank you. Absolutely brilliant.

Top Bottom