• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Jace08

Smash Lord
If no one from another state takes 1st , which probably won't happen, then the money will be added to the entire pot...and JCCC isn't free, the game interest group always takes a cut of the pot in exchange for use of the room.
K thanks, makes sense to me.

But hey Stealth I asked about this at the first JCCC Brawl tournament when I saw that small note at the bottom of the flier. When we were talking it sounded to me like the GIG doesn't really need money for anything, and that the club was going to stop taking a cut of the pot at future tournaments... at least that was my impression.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I must be the only one here who likes brawl more than melee in every way. I can honestly say I gave melee a lot of a chance; I did play it a ton for 7 years. A lot of people's criticisms of brawl don't make sense to me; once I started seeing really good people, melee really fell from the pedestal in my mind. My poor Ness was just devastated by Sheik's chainthrowing, and Falco's short hop laser was quite possibly the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. I'd rather fight Pit, brawl Falco, and Toon Link on a team together working hardcore to spam camp than melee Falco... Really, Falco just ruined melee for me, and the fact that the characters I liked using the least (speed character archtype: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Captain Falcon) were so dominant really didn't help. I was probably the only person who didn't like using Zelda (I saw her as a worse Ness) who was better with Zelda than with Sheik; I really was that laughable with that type of character! I really don't "hate" melee; I am happy to see melee players having fun with their chosen game and wish them success at it. I just know that I can never, ever go back to it, and I hate seeing things like "brawl is gay", "brawl takes no skill", "melee is SO MUCH BETTER", etc. because I fear greatly that these sentiments are going to stifle brawl before it can achieve the glory it is worthy of. I am sure I'm also the only one here who feels this way, but I really love the new brawl hitstun and the new brawl physics as I feel they evolve a far more interesting metagame (I think long combos are boring, and I think aerial mobility is about the coolest thing ever). I like which characters are good more, and I really feel like it is more balanced. Brawl's stage list is also so cool; Pokefloats is the only level in melee even half as cool as Delfino Plaza or the Halberd. I do have various things I might complain about with brawl, but the list is way shorter and less serious than the list for melee or smash 64. I'm not trying to convince anyone to go play brawl; that's probably hopeless. I'm just making where I stand clear.

Anyway, plans for the brawl meetup are finalized; I hope I can keep this up for a few weeks now that the barrio has dropped brawl. Unfortunately, I will be heading back to school at the end of the month so it's only short term. It will be at my place tomorrow starting at 5. The address is:

11409 Glen Arbor Terr.
Kansas City MO, 64114

It's the yellow one on the corner with the white german shepherd in the back yard. With the glory of mapquest, I don't anticipate anyone having trouble finding it. Just ring the doorbell by the garage door and not the one by the "front door" (which is never used). I'm sure most of you guys will be at the barrio working hardcore on prepping for the melee tournament; good luck with that. As per those who are serious business about brawl, I look forward to seeing you and having some good games.

only1Z

Smash Champion
If melee never came out, Brawl would probably be the best game ever. .
Then we'd just be the too cool for school 2d fighter kids, and only fire up SFIII / KOF '98 champion edition DX....whatever the **** it is snk does.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Let me just talk about one common misconception about Melee. It is not built for speed characters. Most of the higher tier characters have both power AND speed on their side. The lower tier characters have neither or not enough of one or the other. Marth and Fox are both more powerful than Bowser will ever dream to be.

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
I think long combos are boring
W

T

F
LOL Thats exactly what I was thinking... XD

P.S; Man I can't wait till tomorrow, my first all melee barrio! I really picked a bad time to start coming, I wish I would have known about the barrio long ago, but sadly the first time I came was when brawl was brand new, and it was literally ALL BRAWL SETUPS, I was quite frankly almost scared away, thinking that everyone might really just be done with melee for good, but I'm glad I didn't give up hope, and sure enough, slowly but surely its become more and more melee again! =D

Anyway.. *goes back to fighting more annoying lvl 9 CPUs*

DYC

Smash Champion
I must be the only one here who likes brawl more than melee in every way. I can honestly say I gave melee a lot of a chance; I did play it a ton for 7 years. A lot of people's criticisms of brawl don't make sense to me; once I started seeing really good people, melee really fell from the pedestal in my mind. My poor Ness was just devastated by Sheik's chainthrowing, and Falco's short hop laser was quite possibly the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. I'd rather fight Pit, brawl Falco, and Toon Link on a team together working hardcore to spam camp than melee Falco... Really, Falco just ruined melee for me, and the fact that the characters I liked using the least (speed character archtype: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Captain Falcon) were so dominant really didn't help. I was probably the only person who didn't like using Zelda (I saw her as a worse Ness) who was better with Zelda than with Sheik; I really was that laughable with that type of character! I really don't "hate" melee; I am happy to see melee players having fun with their chosen game and wish them success at it. I just know that I can never, ever go back to it, and I hate seeing things like "brawl is gay", "brawl takes no skill", "melee is SO MUCH BETTER", etc. because I fear greatly that these sentiments are going to stifle brawl before it can achieve the glory it is worthy of. I am sure I'm also the only one here who feels this way, but I really love the new brawl hitstun and the new brawl physics as I feel they evolve a far more interesting metagame (I think long combos are boring, and I think aerial mobility is about the coolest thing ever). I like which characters are good more, and I really feel like it is more balanced. Brawl's stage list is also so cool; Pokefloats is the only level in melee even half as cool as Delfino Plaza or the Halberd. I do have various things I might complain about with brawl, but the list is way shorter and less serious than the list for melee or smash 64. I'm not trying to convince anyone to go play brawl; that's probably hopeless. I'm just making where I stand clear.

Anyway, plans for the brawl meetup are finalized; I hope I can keep this up for a few weeks now that the barrio has dropped brawl. Unfortunately, I will be heading back to school at the end of the month so it's only short term. It will be at my place tomorrow starting at 5. The address is:

11409 Glen Arbor Terr.
Kansas City MO, 64114

It's the yellow one on the corner with the white german shepherd in the back yard. With the glory of mapquest, I don't anticipate anyone having trouble finding it. Just ring the doorbell by the garage door and not the one by the "front door" (which is never used). I'm sure most of you guys will be at the barrio working hardcore on prepping for the melee tournament; good luck with that. As per those who are serious business about brawl, I look forward to seeing you and having some good games.
If you like aerial mobility and short combos, there is a character in Melee that does both better than any character in Brawl.

Its name is Jigglypuff, I'm sorry you never met.

I can't wait to see your thoughts on the Brawl metagame in 6 months when it consists only of Snakes and MKs.

CFMV

"The Marf"
I can't wait to see your thoughts on the Brawl metagame in 6 months when it consists only of Snakes and MKs.
That's what I've been thinking since that first Brawl tourney. And the Brawl people complain about the 5-6 high tier characters in Melee.

i highly doubt brawl will become nothing but snakes and MK's. but we will see.
Yes it will. 20 bucks on it.

Oh, and DYC, I actually read your long post the other day. Good ****. Random conefire is what killed DOD.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Yeah, I can admit my Brawl character is inbalanced as ****. And my roommate plays Snake as well. Snake, MK, and maybe G-dub and DK will likely be the only tournament winning characters soon enough. Where as the Melee tier list had tournament winning characters all the way from Fox down to most of mid-tier. It's still not as bad as MvC2 though, where everyone chooses 3 out of the 4 tourney viable characters out of a list of like 56. I've yet to watch a tourney match on youtube without at least Storm or Sentinel on one of the teams.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
He's my favorite Nintendo character ever, and most of us care about being respected Brawl players as much as we care about George Bush's safety, so I'm going to keep playing him whenever I'm really drunk and playing Brawl for some reason...

However, because of how broken he is, he's likely going to be severely nerfed in the next Smash to almost unplayability.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
GG barrio, good times last night. Apologies to anything crazy that happened because after waking up this morning I'm positive that I got carried away.

BTW nice to meet everyone that I hadn't met before.

I just read the melee vs brawl **** all over again, it's like a common theme here now.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Last night was a blast, reminds me of the good ol' barrios... I wanna see more like that, so I'll probably be coming regularly if I can, but Dmac might have to give me rides every once and a while.

Anyways good games to anyone I played, even though I didn't play much. I needa play some more people next time though because I need to figure out how good I actually am. Playing Dmac and Darkrain over and over doesn't tell me anything haha.

OH and I hope my friends didn't bother anyone too much. They like smash but can be pretty crazy sometimes =/

Jesi

Smash Ace
Just wanted to drop in and say that we are on par with the amt. of money that we need weekly to reach our OOS bonus goal by October. Great job with our first Melee barrio Saturday in a long time. :D

We need everyone's help to make this tournament a success, and the first step is to ensure this bonus happens so plz don't forget your $5! :D

Thanks guys! <3

PS I'm not sure what darkrain wants to do about this coming Saturday because it will mostly be a party night, so we'll keep you updated. The following Saturday after that he will be flying in from Texas really early in the morning so it's his call on whether he wants to have smash that night or not...but he probably will... he can comment on that. :) Unfortunately, I will not be attending for a very long time, so those of you who enjoyed my company better show up this Saturday! haha ;)

Cups

Smash Ace
I love you phatgamer, I understand that Saturday night smash cannot be your number one priority and that you had no ride to Barrio. I think we all understand this and just give you a hard time because we'd like to see you there, plain and simple. I appreciate your friendship and seeing you every once in awhile is better than not seeing you at all. I'm happy to see you when you are there and don't hold it against you if you aren't.

darkrain

Smash Ace
That was....Z...gamer.....double...post....blargh......

dark EDIT: Z you wasted 2 of my posts with this bull****? Learn to use the edit button son.

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
LOL@Double Drunk Z posts.

Need me to bring anything for Saturday?

adhdsoad is one of the new melee guys? White guy with the curly hair or non-white guy with the curley hair?

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Naw I'm not too new. I'm just an old acquaintance of the KC smash crew that just started coming again due to the melee revival.

I would be the white guy with PC Chris hair. Or so they say...

I NEED SOME MORE MARVEL/CAPCOM/SNK GAMING! IT WAS SO GOOD!

Top Bottom