• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
?

You just said you want me to remove specific character's strongest tactic in a matchup so that other characters may benefit.
How is that NOT catering a rule towards certain characters lol

Blizzard Wall is an overwhelmingly powerful tactic against Olimar (and other characters). Why wouldn't I also ban blizzard wall so Olimar doesn't have his worst matchup anymore?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
The ruleset isn't catering to anyone by saying "infinites are legal". If I removed that rules and didn't comment on the legality of the infinites, they would still exist within the context of the game.

If you character has flaws, I suggest you either pick a new character to avoid those flaws or work around them to mask those flaws.

What about the LGL?
I asked about the LGL because do you think we need one now that MK is banned? And if you guys are basing banning MK on him requiring less ledge grabs as a way of not allowing infinite's, that's weak.

Metaknight exists within the context of (and he's in) the game naturally, Legalize him based on that logic.

I could make a paralell here with the legalization of pot, but it's not smashboards proper, so I'll tell you when I see you next.

Choose a better character? GTFO with that logic and play MetaKnight.

Why is it whenever I mention this argument everyone mentions Blizzard being as broken as an infinite. Is Ice Climbers the next character to get banned?

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just realized that didn't talk about infinite's in my last argument, I'm not anti-ban, nor pro-ban as I've said.

"For the record, banning MK and having infinite's legal=bad, no matter how you try to explain it. You're already modding the game enough by removing non-tournament possible stages such as Hyrule (good decision), making it "Stock" (good decision) with 3 "stocks" (neutral decision), a stage selection/CP process (neutral decision) and banning an entire character (neutral), why not mod it again? D3 won't drop, he can still CG the **** out of everything in the world"-From Kahoka thread

DeLux

Ok, The win/loss criteria is a completely separate issue and is in no way related to whether something is broken or not.

We ban what is broken. A broken tactic is something that can not be countered.

Are RC/Brinstar Broken Stages? No. Across the board absolutely and positively not. If we banned those stages tomorrow, I'd throw a party because I hate them. But that's subjective and self serving on my part. They are absolutely counterable and playable.
Is D3's infinite Broken? No, it doesn't even exists on most characters of the cast. 31/37 characters directly counter D3's infinite.
Are any other infinites broken? NO BECAUSE THEY HAVE COUNTER TACTICS THAT EXIST.

Using the justification of "it wont' change tier list placing" is horrific because tiers absolutely and positively don't matter. Matchup charts as defense for legalizing or removing an infinite is bad, because matchup charts absolutely don't matter.

If you think D3, or any other infinite is so broken, I challenge you to use it exclusively as a tactic and go break the game. Literally.

If you think the infinite is that broken, go break the game with it. I've been trying for the last year and that **** still hasn't happened.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Lux, why is MK as a counter to him on those stages not something that's an option? There is ALWAYS a counter-able option. That's not the point. The point is that assuming someone plays one character, they are screwed.

DeLux

Congrats ThuGz, you just degenerated the game to MK vs. MK only on Brinstar/Rainbow Cruise. Good work further proving that it is MK that is broken on the stage

Off the top of my head, I can think of many characters that lose access to those stages simply because of MK. Wario, Pikachu, ZSS, GnW, Kirby, Pit, Ness, Lucas, Mario are all so obviously counterable as characters, but atleast one of those two stages is considered to be one of their strongest CPs for all of them. MK is so obviously not counterable (other than with MK at which point means it's not even a counter anymore, it's a ditto) with anther character before you even start examining stages.

Even at this subjective superficial level, it's so clear the stages are not the issue. Even at the deeper level using a numerical stage notation system, it's clear the stages are not the issue.

I hate playing devil's advocate because I don't think you understand how anti-ban I've been. But your arguments to support a lift on the ban are really embarrassing.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
You guys are both right.
But...
Why does everyone sleep on Ness? His matchup with MK isnt terrible, if you know what your doing. Fair beats tornado, & backthrow kills at 85%. I've beat plenty of good MK users on Rainbow Cruise. It's not as bad as people make it sound. Most people dont take the time to play with a character and mask their flaws (like Lux said). Thats the key

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
These good MK users... Do they include Do Joe, Sea Brick, em-2-Kay, Al Eye, Red Hellbert, or Ty Rant? Or are you talking about the best MK in KS, PortCity?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
These good MK users... Do they include Do Joe, Sea Brick, em-2-Kay, Al Eye, Red Hellbert, or Ty Rant? Or are you talking about the best MK in KS, PortCity?
best name dodges ever. and mk just gimps the hell out of ness, i would have thought the multiple gimps scrub did to you would prove that

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Stealth, I did that so that we wouldn't get much attention here. Besides, why would those guys want to post something here? Oh...wait. They were lurking for a little bit... :troll:

Rockstar, you still haven't answered my question, but I suppose I didn't clarify. Which good MK users did you beat on RC/BS?

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my place 5:30 to 11:00.

I have notoriously declined playing against meta-knight often times, and do I regret this decision in hindsight, never learning the matchup? Nope...

If Danny and Tom quit brawl, I may stop hosting and find something else to do with my time.

DeLux

lol

To be fair, Ness was on that list because BRINSTAR is one of his best stages. RC not so much

I remember certain "people" losing to the test I used to used if they knew the MK matchup. Walk > Ftilt one > Ftilt two > Ftilt 3 > repeat until they are in the air > Aerial Shuttle loop or Dsmash their landing

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I get the MK ban, I do, yadadada, I just don't get the infinite un-ban, and I don't know if I ever will, so I will drop the subject so I can yell at you harder in person.

BPx

Smash Lord
this community is so bad. gg
the reason you want mk legal is so you can win. the reason a lot of us(people who don't main mk) want him legal(or didn't fully support the ban) is because we actually ENJOY the challenge of fighting a metaknight, and it feels good to beat the best character in the game, or because he is so much easier to use in doubles, and why bother playing anyone else?... metaknight is a boss character, and needs to be banned. he should have been banned soon after release, but a good decision is a good decision whether it is now or 3 years ago. we finally had enough evidence to get it passed... brawl is going to get gayer with counterpicks and **** now... but its going to move into a different metagame and away from the metaknightgame we have now. this is going to be overall good for everyone, even though a lot of people are going to be mad because they relied on their pocket mk to beat people on stages they couldn't with their main, or flat out just can't with any other character. the fact that you, a mid level mk(who even claims he mains pikachu...), beat one of the "best robs," should show how broken that character is. I can guarantee you that sneakytako or w/e his name was has spent multitudes more hours playing as R.O.B. than you have metaknight, but you can come in with your uber gosu tornado spacing and abuse the hell out of his character, without having to really learn yours. If you are a top level mk, you deserve respect, but all of these mid level mks stopping people who actually deserve money from getting it, is a load of bull****. pick up one of the 35 other characters or quit thugz, thats the decision you mk mains have to face. you knew the risks of playing your broken character when multiple attempts to ban him had been made before you even joined the scene. you said you were a pika main when i met you, and you went mk in bracket... this is what the metagame turned into... people want to win? pick mk, and your chances go up greatly. it was slowly going towards the point where EVERY top player had a metaknight that they use IN TOURNEY... in another year, or two, or three, however long it would have lasted, i would guess that the amount of people switching from ____________ character to metaknight is a lot higher than than people switching to ANY other top tiers... why don't you pick up snake or diddy? i'm sick of hearing you talk about how you've finally learned how to play this game or w/e... you complain about every disadvantaged matchup pikachu has... well the reality is, characters who aren't metaknight have bad matchups, and its rough... welcome to the real world, you going to be able to handle it?

(stealth, i'm pretty sure your intentions for quitting without metaknight are much different than our pal thugz's here, no disrespect to you)

/rant

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Thugs is kinda mad he doesn't get protected by MK anymore. We should play out the set again Thugs. How did it feel to get two stocked by my Mario that I haven't touched in a year?

I mean, you only got up-B stage spiked twice. Surely you could have finished out the set with your Pika without having to have MK'd me in a 70-30 MU, right?

:phone:

THuGz

Smash Lord
I beat your MK pretty hard...

Also Thugz* stupid Day's tournaments always putting me down as "thugs"

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I will be in this thread as much as I want. I support the MK ban by not opposing it if that's what has your butt in an owchigotbuttraped.

And I agree with most of what Bpow said, as I said in the Melee thread, MK is NO Akuma, that's for sure, but he is a boss character.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
lololololol. Go play Street Fighter 2 and pray that some day, maybe, you'll be able to play as Sagot or Vega or M Bison or Balrog.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Or play 2d KOF fighters games and fight against Rugal or Orochi or another character on that level, you will get **** on even on a lower diffculty cause of SNK boss syndrome.

DeLux

Hey, as I've mentioned to most of you in person, we're going to start trying to expand off of SWF as a scene.

If people other Danny, Collin and myself could like this page, it would pretty helpful to me:
https://www.facebook.com/KCBrawl

DeLux

lol
I'm assuming that is a "no" from Rockstar

Everyone one else should really think about coming. I already have like 5 new people saying that they are coming, so the more people we have, the better impression we make on the new guys.

Smash Lord
lol
I'm assuming that is a "no" from Rockstar

Everyone one else should really think about coming. I already have like 5 new people saying that they are coming, so the more people we have, the better impression we make on the new guys.
What time is everything happening for this? I might be able to make it, but I have a ton of music practice to get done.

Top Bottom