• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just to make it clear. Gas money. Is it obvious?

PolMex23

Smash Champion
So, If a man goes out of your way an spends a vast amount of time (hours) to get you to take you to a smash related event...

Is gas money a hidden tip to the driver? A unwritten rule that states the man going out of your way should recieve some amount of money due to the fact he just spent alot of time to get you and or you were out of the way greatly?

I think it is. What do yall think?

nevershootme

Smash Master
keeping costs low and even for everyone makes it fair, but it can tend to take a toll for the driver sacrificing 3 hours staying awake on a boring road. but having a driver pay $20+ for a full tank and not having passengers you're taking contribute is messed up, lets say a 10 gallon tank needs $25 to fill up... therefore from the trip to and back is $50 estimated. and especially if the driver didn't win the tournament, it would be of a bigger waste of money overall if the passengers don't pay back

so far I have 2 people owing me gas money from driving them to gigs, but at most i have them logged on my phone as a reminder

edit: even then all the other trips from south miami to zp i've driven people before and i didn't charge them for gas

Rayku

Smash Lord
Some people, unless reminded, straight up won't even offer gas money. You have to tell them beforehand how much it will cost, and then remind them when they're about to get out of your car.

If you call them out on it later, they'll just say "You should have reminded me."

I think that beforehand, gas money should be established/calculated to evenly distribute it between all the people in the car. Then, it's obligated to give the owner of the vehicle the price that was stated. They technically agree to the price simply by going with you.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Yes and no. What makes you bring this up? I mean, it's always nice to just give the money to the guy for going out of his way, but I myself think that if it's not mentioned then they don't really care. That's my opinion on it, yes it's a nice gesture, but no because it should be said prior to the fact.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Maybe it was the way I was brung up.

I was raised basically by my mother, an very intelligent an sound person, she always taught me values an basic moral sensitivity to every situation musn't be overlooked...ever.

So, I always wish that most see the way I see things. Problem is that most don't.

yet In certain situations, I believe that some things are just abnoxiously obvious.

A man must drive 1 hour and a half to reach his destination. You add 1 hour due to you being 30min away from the venue. Due to miscommunication and no help from the stranded, you spend 2 1/2 hours trying to get to them (also traffic)

So, In my mind, no words of gas money should have been brought up. The situation was obvious, an the gas used to get to him had to have been clearly apparent.

Yet, it wasn't.

So, 60$ later out of my pocket, Im writing about the fact that no, there is not a yes or no to this.

You should always offer gas money, because it is the respectful and curtious thing to do. Also, that gesture would never hurt anyone, and it will make you feel alot better about yourself.

If they deny well hey. An If you reallly need the money an can only contribute 5 or 10 (especially depending on how far your going/how far you are out of the way) then explain the situation to the driver, an hopefully he will understand.

I wanted to give Ed 20. Knowing I didnt have money to enter singles, I didnt tell him that If it wasnt a problem to give him 10, an I would have payed him back later due to me living close to him. Yet, I shut my mouth an refused to enter singles. Why? Idk, I just didnt feel like saying it. Knowing Ed he would have agreed, but yet again I didnt.

He didnt tell me anything about gas money. But in agreeing to go to Miami I knew, common sense, that gas money was needed. He didnt say anything about it only when I brought it up. But I know he would have asked while we were prepairing to leave. Its never a yes or no. You must always be respectful.

Just my 2 cents

Also this person that did this to me is on my Cash Mooney list. But this person is on another list.I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire list(thats pretty harsh, an im a nice guy). But to cash mooney, I have much more respect for Ian. Atleast now hes different. This person I can immagine to be a lonely fellow once reality hits him.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
yea...as a person that has taxi'd alot of people around FL to tourneys, ive found out that people wont give you gas money unless you keep reminding them. One tourney when i had extra money i didn't remind people again of gas money, just to see what would happen. And behold, no one gave me anything

but when i have a job, and my car has 4 other people in it and 1 other person doesnt give gas money, it usually isnt a big deal. Unless they keep doing it every time they are in my car, in which then im like :(

im pretty nice though about gas. I usually fill my car up for the way to a tourney, so people really are only giving me money to get back home. If i charged for both ways it would be like at least 20 every trip (when i usually just charge 10)

#HBC | Gorf

Lol what a d bag. I mean, I always bring extra money JUST IN CASE they mention gas money, and if I don't have it with me then when next tourney comes around I'd fork over mula, but honestly, in my opinion, I say that the one driving the car should say something prior to the situation. I respect your opinion and can sort of see where you're coming from.

Lol Cash Mooney did that to you? What a douche. At least he obviously did something for you to forgive him. The WORST someone should get away with doing, in my opinion, is forgetting gas money (when asked), say oh crap, i don't have any money, and pay the person back next time you see them. Not even giving a crap is unacceptable, and you should try to keep yourself spaced out from that person.

Now, I was raised to ALWAYS expect that people will be selfish. To expect the worst, and hope for the best. When I can drive, and people ask for rides, then chances are I'll ask for money. But if I'm not going out of my way, or I like you, then I won't really care.

You're a pretty smart guy. You really know how to express yourself and share your side of the story. Really good quality in someone (except I couldn't help but nitpick every and was spelled as an xD).

DUB

Smash Lord
Hell yeah the driver deserves gas money. Aside from actually covering from gas, they have to worry about wrecks, tickets, all that other bs.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Polmex, you're a straight shooter.

And the majority of people are not. Most people would prefer you to mention it, they assume situations to their benefit: you'll bring it up if you need it. (Although you're assuming they should be the ones to mention it, so it works a little in both ways.)

However the majority of people are honest, and will get the money to you eventually if you keep on them. It comes down to you making a claim on what should be yours, there is nothing wrong about you mentioning it.

So although it probably should be an implied understanding between driver and passenger (unless otherwise stated,) the days of the old west are over. As John Mayer would say eight times in a row, "Say what you need to say." Or if you prefer Relient K, "Why don't you come right out and say it: what it is you're thinking though I'm thinking it's not what I want to hear."

lw0nderbreadl

Smash Ace
I will always give gas money. If some1 is goin out of the way to hook me up, they will be getting paid. And I won't take no for an answer. Take my money

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Whoa this is for edit later I didnt mean to sound as If cash mooney did that.

I never meant to say that. If it came out that way Im truly sorry to make the point clear once again I didnt mean to sound as if I said that, truly sorry.

Ian is free of that charge xD. Not free of the other =)

*Now time to read will answer back*

GO TO SLEEP TYLER!!!!

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Polmex, you're a straight shooter.

And the majority of people are not. Most people would prefer you to mention it, they assume situations to their benefit: you'll bring it up if you need it. (Although you're assuming they should be the ones to mention it, so it works a little in both ways.)

However the majority of people are honest, and will get the money to you eventually if you keep on them. It comes down to you making a claim on what should be yours, there is nothing wrong about you mentioning it.

So although it probably should be an implied understanding between driver and passenger (unless otherwise stated,) the days of the old west are over. As John Mayer would say eight times in a row, "Say what you need to say." Or if you prefer Relient K, "Why don't you come right out and say it: what it is you're thinking though I'm thinking it's not what I want to hear."
You truly are a intelligent and one of the most unbiased son of a guns Ive ever heard, seen, or spoken too, truly. I respect you greatly as a person, and also as a player :).

(after convincing scidadle to go to sleep, or atleast try over the phone...)I thankyou for the for the compliment.

If you wouldn't mind I would like some friendlies at the next tourney or smash event we next attend. You and Kyle(GM).

Very good people.

Thankyou gordito boy, truly.

The compliment really helps me believe that my English teachers weren't crazy, and that I passed only due to my abillity to speak in person(what goes here? : ; ... . ? please I hate being gramaticly handicapped xD)and not to my abillity to communicate on paper.

I just think Im mentally disabled and crazy sometimes. Well, all the time.

I like to hear that my Thoughts, yet biased, are on the right side of the street. Like I said, helps me think Im a sane person. Been through some steep depression.

But through shining people, those gifted with the ability to see. Those people help me see the light. So strong, Im already out of it. With me an my mom at peace, all the pieces will just fall intogether.

One of them, is Noel :). A very good man, personality never falters.

On the compliments part, anyone who watch my matches to see me I greatly appreciate. Tyler, Shawn, and Kyle for brief moments xD

Anyone else thankyou.

Purple

Hi guys!
Devil's Advocate.

No one deserves anything, unless it's put out there, if it's not put out there, the guy doesn't have to give you money, and he truly isn't obliged to.

There are people hwo feel that driving is not a big deal, and the money given isn't alot, especially if they've never driven before. I know for a fact before i started driving, i didn't think 20 dollars was needed for some situations, not that i drive i can see why (granted gas has sky-rocketed since me getting my license). You have to understand that people have the mentality that "you were going to drive this way anyway" and if you sit there and think it's an obvious gas money giver, then you're mistaken and you don't deserve the money.

Tell them straight up, before you even drive to their house, hey i'll do the drive for 20 bucks, or something like that. While the gas money might be deserving to you, it's ****ed up to wait until they get to your car and are expecting to leave and is like "hey you, 20 bucks". The guy more than likely isn't going to leave your car, and he'll be pissed at you the whole way.

Long story short, if you want money, ask for it extremely far in advance. If you don't ask for it beforehand, don't even bother with it.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Simple solution for organizing carpools... Make a freaking designated location in order to carpool a group to go somewhere. instead of driving in a huge circle picking people up like it's Cray Taxi, pick a place for everyone to meet up and do it.

Case example: I carpool 4 other people from FIU, I live in campus, yet my friends live south of the school, what do I do and gotta go north to a tournament? Well simple enough, I tell them to meet me at my dorm and we're good to go... I'm not driving down 70-140 streets south just to pick up 2-3 people

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
Driven to many events and never had a problem, I've had smashers that have said "I don't have the money now but I will next trip." Which is fine, just so they keep their word. Hmm...make sure you settle the money part of the deal before you pick him/them up.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Most people here are extremely stingy and don't want to give the extra cash for gas here. It's just common courtesy to offer whatever you can to the driver, because he's doing YOU the favor to come get you and to take you back. I don't see what's the big deal of offering at least $3-5 bucks for gas. Most smashers do this **** where they don't feel they have to pay but outside of the community, a person would at least have the common decency to at least pony up $2-3 bucks.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Thats from another side of the spectrum. Truly opposite mentality of mine f its needed to be brought up in order to recieve gas.

But, ty jason. Good plyers are are on the same page, especially sexy ones xD

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol i didn't read more than half of these posts but who's the *****??

lol gas money is always obvious

i've gotten wrecked tho and had to pay for other people's gas moneyyyyyyyy

otherwise the driver(s) wouldn't of made it home

****ing ******s

edit: and wtf? 2-5 bucks???? try 10 to 40+ in all of my cases

lol stingy

vericz

Smash Champion

****ing ******s

lol stingy
Same here, I'm usually the ONLY one in some ppls cars who will just straight up hand over $10 for gas. I've taken people along with me who NEVER paid me gas money and yea it bothers me cause i have to pay it all myself AND drive them around while staying awake when they sleep. Annoying sometimes. Since my car broke down no one asks me for any rides, kind of a good thing :)

From now on, if I'm driving ppl, we aren't going anywhere unless they help out with the cost of gas.

spider_sense

Smash Champion

****ing ******s

lol stingy
Well I would rather someone at least $2-5 bucks for gas, because it's something at least. A majority of the time, you don't even get that. So I think the real stingy people are the ones who don't even offer to pay that much in gas money; along with it being a pretty reasonable deal.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
nah i know

i'm just saying that usually it's gonna cost like 10 to 15+ per person to just make the costs even amongst everyone

#HBC | Gorf

Simple solution for organizing carpools... Make a freaking designated location in order to carpool a group to go somewhere. instead of driving in a huge circle picking people up like it's Cray Taxi, pick a place for everyone to meet up and do it.

Case example: I carpool 4 other people from FIU, I live in campus, yet my friends live south of the school, what do I do and gotta go north to a tournament? Well simple enough, I tell them to meet me at my dorm and we're good to go... I'm not driving down 70-140 streets south just to pick up 2-3 people
If ur buddies from FIU meet you at your dorm, I don't see why they'd have to pay for gas. The reasoning for that is that you're going out of your way to get them, they should pay you. And I understand your point on not even bothering to pick people up that live so far away. Just tell them that you don't want to drive that far and let that be that.

And even IF it's on the way, if the payment of gas money is established, then it's established. That's how I see it.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I always offer gas money. I don't like getting a ride unless I have something to contribute (unless I know the guy really well and he's def. ok with it and know I'll hit him back). I also don't ask for it often, depends on how broke I am lol.

-ACE (forgot which computer I was using)

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
if you dont give gas money to someone who drives you are no question a really fvcking immature d-bag who probably doesnt have a job or any kind of self-respect for other human beings in general

how can you even ride in the car knowing that your taking advantage of someone who is most likely too nice to ask i would feel like scum

polmex lets play melee this friday with halbie at my place

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
My mom has brought my friends to events before, and I've had friends bring my friends to events before, not even for smash either. For DDR, MTG, yugioh, etc, you name it.

The trick is to make them pay you BEFORE you leave, that way you always get the money you need to drive.

If they don't pay you then, just be blunt, and say "Sorry, but I'm leaving you here."

Works like a charm, Mike. :)

Personally, back when i first started I had some problems with people and gas money. The only major thing I can recall is when Exarch and Pritch were kind enough to give me a spot in there car after I missed my flight, but I was such a douchebag that I never paid it back in full. It's **** like that which makes me glad that I've changed a bit, but w.e, the past is the past. >_>

Also this person that did this to me is on my Cash Mooney list. But this person is on another list.I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire list(thats pretty harsh, an im a nice guy). But to cash mooney, I have much more respect for Ian. Atleast now hes different. This person I can immagine to be a lonely fellow once reality hits him.
Wow man, thanks a lot. I really apreciate it :)

And you named a list after me? Too good haha

nevershootme

Smash Master
If ur buddies from FIU meet you at your dorm, I don't see why they'd have to pay for gas. The reasoning for that is that you're going out of your way to get them, they should pay you. And I understand your point on not even bothering to pick people up that live so far away. Just tell them that you don't want to drive that far and let that be that.

And even IF it's on the way, if the payment of gas money is established, then it's established. That's how I see it.
Did i even mention anything about paying for gas? all I said was to suggest a designated place for a group to meet up and roll out... Gas will always be a constant $10 contribution if you're going to orlando and back or the inverse. To me I just tell them to buy me lunch when in school

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
this thread is about *****es not getting up gas money

and mooney.... you've skipped out on giving people gas money many times

but w/e "the past is the past"

but people don't forget

GI JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe wtfffffff

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I drove the SC car for pretty much every single time SC has made it to an event (not counting Yay) except Scha who took us a couple of times.

Wanna know who gave me gas money? Maybe one guy... Out of like. 20 trips... sad face.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I never asked for gas money since everyone I'd pick up was less than 5 minutes out of the way. But yeah, anything more than 10 minutes out of the way and gas money help should be understood, impolite people just don't get it though

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Btw, to everyone in this thread, I think the douchebag he's talking about is me.

I asked if someone could give me a ride to Hbox's smashfest on wednesday and Polmex volunteered (like a MAN). It was really nice of him to give me a ride...but the thought of "oh, I should probably give him gas money" didn't even cross my mind. I went to that smashfest with litterally NO MONEY in my pocket because I did not plan on actually entering any tournament, only playing friendlies. I brought my debit card in case of an emergency, but I had specifically told myself that I was not going to spend any money that day (because I AM completely broke). When Polmex got lost and ended up driving in circles for hours, I was mostly concerned that he might not make it in time for the tournament that he wanted to enter and it would be because I made him waste all that time with my bad directions (I honestly had no idea where he was and was typing **** in mapquest trying to help him out, and even then they had to figure out which direction was east <_<).

I also don't normally give people gas money, because I normally get a ride with one of my friends that lives litterally 5 minutes from my house. In that regard, it's the same as how they don't pay me when I order pizza for them at a smashfest (and I also don't pay for the sodas I drink at their places, and this goes back and forth all the time). Paying each other for things just never really comes up. If he had told me "hey, you think I can get some gas money?" or something I would've said we should stop by an atm so I could withdraw some for him. Next time I see you I'll give you some money or something (how much did you even spend on gas?)

So uh....sorry for not giving you gas money.

Purple

Hi guys!
Dark Sonic you aren't a bad person, there's two cheeks to this *** here.

Polmex you should've asked him for gas, it's not obvious, it's NEVER obvious.

Dark Sonic, apparently from what practically everyone's saying being one sided, you should have gas money.

however, once again, it's never obvious the driver or passenger's intentions, set this **** up before you even get to their house.

Top Bottom