• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just to make it clear. Gas money. Is it obvious?

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn drama

lol it was your bad directions

bad directions are always gay

so costly

on the wallet

and morale

and ****

edit: what????

****'s ALWAYS obvious

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Anytime I ride with someone i'll pay them gas money without question. There have been a few times when I rode with a group to a tournament, and one of the other riders actually REFUSED to pay the driver when he finally asked for gas money, even though the driver went out of his way to pick him up. Pretty weak **** if you ask me.

That being said, I think there's a difference between someone refusing to pay up, and someone who just forgot to pay up. As long as I get my money at some point, its all gravy baby

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
So...how much would it be, usually?

If it's not too far, I would guess 5-10 bucks.

If it's OOS, I'd say 15-20 bucks.

That be about right?

Even if I offer gas money, nobody will ever pick me up

Kinda sucks....
Same here. Rarely, even if I say I can pay gas money, will someone pick me up. Marty drove me to and from Rayku's fest, but Jamaal paid for me to get there(thanks, brah.) and I paid to get back(**** summer-school.)

Nobody else has given me a ride to anything...

*sadface*

Gindler

Smash Champion
Depends on the miles really anything less than 20 miles is usually free (minus tolls, the person getting the ride should pay for tolls just because)

As for bad directions, that's what google maps is for I took DS to Hbox's before without getting lost. He paid for the tolls though which was cool.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Nevershootme has driven me to like a million places and I'm pretty sure I've never given him gas money. Yet I'm pretty sure I've hooked him up with food and other **** about a million time too. But then again we're good friends. So he's helped me with things and I've done the same for him.

But yo if I don't know you, you better pay what you owe, nahmean?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Personally, back when i first started I had some problems with people and gas money. The only major thing I can recall is when Exarch and Pritch were kind enough to give me a spot in there car after I missed my flight, but I was such a douchebag that I never paid it back in full. It's **** like that which makes me glad that I've changed a bit, but w.e, the past is the past. >_>
Not true, you did eventually repay me. Even if it was like 8-12 months later. lol
We're square man, you owe me nothing. (As I remember I temporarily fronted your costs of gas.)

No drama here, pretty sure Gabe will right things somehow. He's a good guy.

And overall we benefit from the discussion about how "understood" gas money should be. Which is why I leave this open for now.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I actually don't pay for my gas yet (my parents are awesome) so this is a bit lost on me.

But when I DO think about it... I don't think it's a big deal if I don't have to go out of my way. Like, I drive a couple of my friends back and forth from Gainesville some weekends but since they're basically on the way, I don't think they owe me because hey, I was gonna make the trip anyway. If I do go out of the way, I think about asking for gas money but usually rationalize that it's not that far anyway. Again, I don't pay for gas yet.

When I actually get driven by other people, I'm in the same boat as Dark Sonic. Since I usually ride with friends, I don't think about paying for gas because we're gonna pay for each other in different ways anyway (re: pizza, soda, etc). If it's somebody ELSE though, I'll pay them if they ask for it. It's just not automatically in my head because of the aforementioned friend situation.

Nobody else has given me a ride to anything...
How are people supposed to give you a ride off your boat?!?
/joke

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I ALWAYS TRY AND SKIP OUT ON GAS MONEY IF POSSIBLE

thats why im a bad person :)

BTW: Never thought Dark Sonic would be the type of guy to skip out on gas money. I knew you were a good guy.

^ Was meant to be a positive thing btw.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The worst are friends that never pay you back for stuff, when you lend them money to go to stuff with you.

I've got a couple people who owe me upwards of like $100... I mean, I'm a generous guy, usually, but some of it's ridiculous...

Idk, it's my nature to just not ask for it... I mean, maybe they need it worse than I do anyway, so whatevs... but I've been a bit better about lending money lately.

Gas money, I can understand both sides... for clarification, the driver should be clear when considering picking somebody up. He should tell them roughly how much it will be, and then remind them when dropping off...

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
it should be obvious, but some smashers really have no idea about social cues, so it never hurts be explicit with people you are driving. before agreeing to pick someone up, add in the stipulation that you'll pick them up so long as they chip in for gas.

personally, I don't ask smashers for gas money anymore because most of them are broke as **** and in college, whereas I have a great job. But back when I was also broke as **** and in college, I always made splitting gas money explicit so that there could be no confusion about expectations.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I think the people that drive are the people that dont have to be told

everyone else assumes you have infinite gas somehow

yah its annoying

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I wanted to give Ed 20. Knowing I didnt have money to enter singles, I didnt tell him that If it wasnt a problem to give him 10, an I would have payed him back later due to me living close to him. Yet, I shut my mouth an refused to enter singles. Why? Idk, I just didnt feel like saying it. Knowing Ed he would have agreed, but yet again I didnt.

He didnt tell me anything about gas money. But in agreeing to go to Miami I knew, common sense, that gas money was needed. He didnt say anything about it only when I brought it up. But I know he would have asked while we were prepairing to leave. Its never a yes or no. You must always be respectful.
Hah, You still should've entered singles anyway. No need to let your pride stop ya from playing and then getting it back to me. I kinda felt bad since I knew you were looking forward to the event. I know you would've got it back to me sooner or later lol. All that matters is that you had a good time lol.

P.S. You should've entered :laugh:

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
if it's within the city, I usually don't care, It's just a few close friends going to something.

If it's a big tournament out of state or in a different city, I calculate how much it will be and make sure that people know that, if they want to ride with me, it'll be $15 each gas. Don't like it? Take a bus. "My friend would drive me for free", yeah? then drive with him. He's not going? I don't see how that's relevant.

Payment is due before you get in the van.

That, and I'll charge extra if I have to pick you up and drop you off at some remote location lol.

Am I an ***? Keep in mind that I usually have no urge to go to tournaments by myself, so I'd only be going if other people were going as well. So it's really not a 'I'm going there anyway' situation.

That's how it works up here at least lol.

Top Bottom