• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
looks like everyone here knows how to play mario strikers charged

so

someone bring the game with some wii motes and nunchakus and we can have a tournament :)

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
To be fair though, stuff like that does happen in Melee as well; it just occurs more frequently in higher profile matches in Brawl due to a combination of it being easier to perform and the fact that more players are willing to do that kind of stuff (often to prove a point about rulesets, as was the case in Rich Brown vs. Will). And yes, the ruleset in Brawl is kinda convoluted, but Melee rulesets often do have wobbling banned, so it's not like Melee is free from the need for artificial limitations. I see your point, but I don't think the differences between Melee and Brawl are as black and white as they seem reading your post.

I've gotta disagree. The only thing other than wobbling I can think of is just Hungrybox doing the gay with puff or ec continually throwing out Tope against Axe in crew battles, and that's just smart play. Wobbling is not game breaking. Not only is it really hard and very avoidable, it's only banned and considered that it should be banned half the time. That's not the point of my post though, it's just the opening segway and what got me thinking about putting brawl on the proverbial chopping block.

It's perfectly understandable if you don't want to come down again for Brawl, especially given how far away you are. Who knows, maybe there will be a good tournament for both games someday. Perhaps we'll see you then. =]
For sure, hopefully Evan or Eric will host a melee/brawl tournament someday and get both communities together.

loving my quote failure. Gonna leave it like that.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Jake, we need to find out a fair way to determine who gets Yoshi in Mario Party and other games. We could always do a Yoshi ditto in each smash game, and best 2 of 3 wins or something... though then again, Yoshi dittos are a terrible matchup in each game...

SKidd

Smash Master
$5 sounds good; I might want to warm up for a game or two though. =3 What rules would we use?

:005:
Well, the rules I used to play with were:
Best of 3
Best to 7
Bowser Stadium/The Classroom, the two stages where there are no stage effects and characters run at full speed
Home/away can be decided with rock paper scissors, I guess.

Who's going to bring their copy?

... Also, have you ever heard of "tricks"?

I'll guitar hero money match people.

Gotta practice for the school tournament.
I'll friendly. =)

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Best of 3
Best to 7
Bowser Stadium/The Classroom, the two stages where there are no stage effects and characters run at full speed

I'll friendly. =)

NO ITEMS

my copy is not in this country lol

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Ok guys, if I am to go, who will house me? I am not 100% sure if I am going or not, but as of now, I am seeing myself going. There are several factors that will determine whether I go or not.

However, that said, if nobody can house me, then I won't be going. Since I'm going alone (Trevor isn't going), I would prefer it if I got housing that is as short a bus ride from the ferry if possible. That way, it's not as far a travel for me. Traveling all the way to Starwaffle is great when there are several people going, since we can socialize and crack jokes the entire bus ride there, but me going alone... the shorter the bus ride, the better. I have no device that I can entertain myself with (no DS, phone sucks, etc.)... so... yeah...

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
jake stop posting so i can catch up to you
But I'm Jake...I'm the TO.

looks like everyone here knows how to play mario strikers charged

so

someone bring the game with some wii motes and nunchakus and we can have a tournament :)
omg YES

I've gotta disagree. The only thing other than wobbling I can think of is just Hungrybox doing the gay with puff or ec continually throwing out Tope against Axe in crew battles, and that's just smart play. Wobbling is not game breaking. Not only is it really hard and very avoidable, it's only banned and considered that it should be banned half the time. That's not the point of my post though, it's just the opening segway and what got me thinking about putting brawl on the proverbial chopping block.
I've seen the odd video of people stalling/planking in Melee, and I would call things like RB vs. Will and other often talked about examples of ruleset abuse "smart play" as well. It depends on where you draw the line between "smart play" and "ruining the game" though, so I think we can just agree to disagree. =]

For sure, hopefully Evan or Eric will host a melee/brawl tournament someday and get both communities together.
Evan has that 2 day event at the end of April; he was thinking about hosting Brawl, and he asked me to help him run it, but I had to decline because I won't be around. I don't know if he still plans to follow through with it, especially considering the prevailing attitude among the Melee community towards Brawl, but the fact that he was seriously considering it is very promising either way.

loving my quote failure. Gonna leave it like that.
A very nice side-effect of posting in colours all the time. =D

Jake, we need to find out a fair way to determine who gets Yoshi in Mario Party and other games. We could always do a Yoshi ditto in each smash game, and best 2 of 3 wins or something... though then again, Yoshi dittos are a terrible matchup in each game...
You got him last time. I get him this time. Simple, no? B|

Best of 3
Best to 7

... Also, have you ever heard of "tricks"?

I'll friendly. =)
Sounds good to me. The classroom is legit. Did you mean "First to 7" though?

What do you mean by tricks? I don't really remember what anything's called anymore because it's been quite a while since I've played. :x

Ok guys, if I am to go, who will house me? I am not 100% sure if I am going or not, but as of now, I am seeing myself going. There are several factors that will determine whether I go or not.

However, that said, if nobody can house me, then I won't be going. Since I'm going alone (Trevor isn't going), I would prefer it if I got housing that is as short a bus ride from the ferry if possible. That way, it's not as far a travel for me. Traveling all the way to Starwaffle is great when there are several people going, since we can socialize and crack jokes the entire bus ride there, but me going alone... the shorter the bus ride, the better. I have no device that I can entertain myself with (no DS, phone sucks, etc.)... so... yeah...
Well, I haven't heard anything from Starwaffle yet, both the Brians will be unavailable, and nobody else from close by has housed anybody before to my knowledge. So unless somebody is able to step up and provide housing, it's not looking too good now. D=

CAN ANYBODY HOUSE ROBERT FOR THIS WEEKEND?

Do you think that will help? D= If not, I'll see what I can do, but sadly, I can't promise anything at this point...

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
robert let me check

because i live with homestay so its not my house

and i play soccer at 11 am on sunday

so you will have to leave early :(

SKidd

Smash Master
NO ITEMS

my copy is not in this country lol
Items are completely fair. They're used very skillfully, and without them, hit spam becomes a completely vaild tactic, which is stupid.

Sounds good to me. The classroom is legit. Did you mean "First to 7" though?

What do you mean by tricks? I don't really remember what anything's called anymore because it's been quite a while since I've played. :x
Ah - yeah, first to 7.

Tricks are sort of an "exploit" of the ability to chip in the game.
They're sort of like a trick shot in pool.
You can chip the ball in the net, chip it around the goalie, follow it, and shoot it in, and many other things. They change the metagame entirely, they can be blocked, and they revolve around my team/game as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f19ZQAjfts Here are a few examples. Everyone used these, we learned to defend and we learned to do them ourselves.
... Landon, can I use your wiichuck for playing? Mine doesn't work very well.

A little bit of trivia for anyone intrested: Biglou, a prominent Brawl Luigi main, came from an old WiFi clan called [wt] - Wii Troopers. They played Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Strikers Charged. They were some of the pioneers for Strikers Charged, they went undefeated for a long time, and they're members went down as some of the legends. Nowadays they play Xbox games.

But... yeah. Lengthy post from me :p

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Items are completely fair. They're used very skillfully, and without them, hit spam becomes a completely vaild tactic, which is stupid.

Ah - yeah, first to 7.

You can chip the ball in the net, chip it around the goalie, follow it, and shoot it in, and many other things. They change the metagame entirely, they can be blocked, and they revolve around my team/game as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f19ZQAjfts Here are a few examples. Everyone used these, we learned to defend and we learned to do them ourselves.

A little bit of trivia for anyone intrested: Biglou, a prominent Brawl Luigi main, came from an old WiFi clan called [wt] - Wii Troopers. They played Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Strikers Charged. They were some of the pioneers for Strikers Charged, they went undefeated for a long time, and they're members went down as some of the legends. Nowadays they play Xbox games.

I remember those ***s, they were good at strikers but they sucked at metroid hunters

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If I team with Jake, I would probably go Yoshi myself :p

But that team idea is great :)

Edit: OR, I go Yoshi and Jake goes GaW.

Anyways, Jake, if I go, wanna team?

lol @ me making all these plans... I'm basically committing myself :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Wait a minute... Eric, wanna team? You know exactly what our team would be ;)

Anyways, I will have an answer tonight/tomorrow early early morning as to whether or not I am coming. There is a smash fest tonight, and once I figure what's happening with a fighting game tournament happening here, I'll go. It mainly depends on if smash will happen or not. That's right, a smash club is hosting a fighting game tournament with no smash. GET AT US!!!

Captain L

Smash Champion
but Robert, since Brian won't be at this one you'll be the highest member of the PR here which means guaranteed moneys

~Firefly~

Smash Hero

Ah - yeah, first to 7.

Hmm...it seems you know your stuff. -$5 =D I'm just looking forward to playing again either way.

Blue yoshi you can stay, bring a wii with brawl. :)
Yes! Thanks, Daniel. =]

If I team with Jake, I would probably go Yoshi myself :p

But that team idea is great :)

Edit: OR, I go Yoshi and Jake goes GaW.

Anyways, Jake, if I go, wanna team?

lol @ me making all these plans... I'm basically committing myself :p
You're not the first person to assume Ben isn't coming. D= If he does make it, I'll definitely be teaming with him (we have a special surprise planned for doubles). If not, maybe. I won't know for sure until Ben confirms whether or not he'll be coming though.

but Robert, since Brian won't be at this one you'll be the highest member of the PR here which means guaranteed moneys
obvs

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Nah, every tourney I ask to team with you for teh lulz and so that you and Ben say you're teaming and so that Trevor tells me I'm supposed to team with him. However... this time... ;)

And Landon, I actually did think about that. If Ben doesn't come, the only person close to me on the PR is Jake. However, I believe the only person who stands in the way of me winning this tournament is myself... due to the possibility of me excessively sandbagging. That said...

And if I'm staying with Deap... will we be playing brawl, melee, or other? 1V1 SOCCER!!!!! XDXDXD

Edit: I now have a new sig. DMoogle is a fellow smash 64 mod. HOW AM I A MOD???

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
You are so creepy...

On another note, I think I should say now that having an April monthly will be problematic. I have a major project due on the 11th, so having it the weekend before (the 9th) simply isn't going to happen. It also happens that I have finals the two Saturdays after that (the 16th and the 23rd). The 23rd definitely won't happen because my exam is in the afternoon, and I'm flying back to Nova Scotia that night. The 16th isn't as bad; my exam ends at 11:30, so we could still have a tournament on that date, but it would either start late or somebody would have to host doubles for me. Alternately, we could host it on the Sunday, but IDK how popular of an option that will be.

So basically, we're left with 5 options:

1. We have a late-starting monthly on the 16th
2. We have a regular monthly on the 16th, but somebody else hosts doubles
3. We have a Sunday monthly (the 17th)
4. Somebody else is willing to run a tournament (this would be great, because that would mean tournaments could continue to run through the Summer)
5. No April monthly, meaning this Saturday could potentially be the last Brawl tournament in BC for months

Thoughts on this?

Captain L

Smash Champion
I think we should either have someone else run the monthly on the 9th or someone run doubles on the 16th. I want to have tournaments during the summer for sure.

Doubles on the 16th is probably a better idea anyways though since Jake can still be there for singles, and more time between tournaments.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Wait a minute... Eric, wanna team? You know exactly what our team would be ;)

Anyways, I will have an answer tonight/tomorrow early early morning as to whether or not I am coming. There is a smash fest tonight, and once I figure what's happening with a fighting game tournament happening here, I'll go. It mainly depends on if smash will happen or not. That's right, a smash club is hosting a fighting game tournament with no smash. GET AT US!!!
LOL alright lets teams Blue Yoshi if your coming! =D

SKidd

Smash Master
I'll bring Melee & a memory card.

Aw, Jake, no more Strikers Charged MM?
Before I played Brawl I played MSC competitively.
The game began to die out, and along with the others(some of whom I still keep in touch with) I moved on to a different game.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'll bring Melee & a memory card.

Aw, Jake, no more Strikers Charged MM?
Before I played Brawl I played MSC competitively.
The game began to die out, and along with the others(some of whom I still keep in touch with) I moved on to a different game.
Nah, I'll still MM you. I don't like backing down from stuff like that after agreeing to it. It'll be fun to see how far my scrub tactics get me either way. =D

I have no time (have to go to work), but I am going. I'll post more after work.
Right on. Singles is going to be very interesting...

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
dobble post

Does anybody else know who they're teaming with? It seemed like a lot of people don't have confirmed partners yet. Andy aka Cheeszeman is confirmed now, and he needs a partner as well...I'm getting the feeling there are a lot of free agents out there, so figure it out!

SKidd

Smash Master
That reminds me, Star(waffle) told me that he'd try his best to come a while ago.

And I'm teaming with him (if he shows up).

Also did we have team names last tourney?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That reminds me, Star(waffle) told me that he'd try his best to come a while ago.

And I'm teaming with him (if he shows up).

Also did we have team names last tourney?
That's good. =] I haven't heard from him in a while, and he didn't respond to the message I left him, so I was under the impression he was too busy or something. =0

I...don't think we bothered with team names, probably because every team was pretty much formed last minute. XD

Captain L

Smash Champion
I thought I was teaming with Andy

Robert I'm counting on you to bring an N64, I let someone borrow mine so I can't bring it.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
omg you spelled andy's name right

I wonder where the idea for that image came from...

I thought I was teaming with Andy

Robert I'm counting on you to bring an N64, I let someone borrow mine so I can't bring it.
That would be a pretty cool team. =]

I'm counting on you too Robert! I wanna play some 64...

lol Jake we would've had the BEST team name.
...Metaknight and Mario would make great babies?

Also, Daniel, sorry I missed your message earlier. What time will you be expecting to get there for? I can't wait too long. :x

Top Bottom