• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Mmmmm...Crisis, How do you plan on getting to the tourney? By car? Cause if it's possible, I could ask my parents if I could skytrain to Vancouver and meet up with you at a station etc? Cause I want to go to this tourney because I want to meet TheSeeker and **** his Wi-Fi johns imo.

Crisis

Smash Ace
Yeah sure. I can give you a ride xD. You can meet me at the Canada Line station on Marine Drive. It's really close to my house.

Also someone teach me how to melee :(.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Brian is most likely coming, as always, but I haven't added him to the list because he hasn't confirmed here. Redundant, maybe, but it's easier to keep track of things that way, and it helps to prevent lists inflated with people that are assumed to be going.
Actually, not making it to this one! Wasn't sure of my plans up until now, but now I can officially not confirm myself. Family's in town for my sister's spring break and I have some other stuff I need to do that weekend as well. Sorry guys!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yeah sure. I can give you a ride xD. You can meet me at the Canada Line station on Marine Drive. It's really close to my house.

Also someone teach me how to melee :(.
Awesome! Thanks for helping out. =]

if you want to melee you have to stop using projectiles.
...Or use Falco.

Actually, not making it to this one! Wasn't sure of my plans up until now, but now I can officially not confirm myself. Family's in town for my sister's spring break and I have some other stuff I need to do that weekend as well. Sorry guys!
Well...this proves my point. =[ Have fun!

:005:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Characters that relies the most on a projectile in melee is Falcon. The flying knee is the deadliest projectile in brawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6IDZP0kEQ

The enemy never stood a chance...

(One of the funniest melee vids I've seen in a long time lolol).

But yeah, several characters rely on legit projectiles... DR. MARIO, MARIO, LUIGI, PEACH, Yoshi, FALCO, Fox, NESS, ICE CLIMBERS, SAMUS, SHEIK, Zelda, LINK, YOUNG LINK, Pichu, Pikachu, and Mewtwo (Caps mean characters heavily rely on projectiles). Obviously other characters have uses for projectiles (e.g. Bowser and GaW), but these characters rely on them the most.

Depending on the attendance, if I go, I may elect to go a non-GaW character unless I feel I have no choice otherwise, since Brian's not going, we haven't heard from Ben, Bryan is... who knows where he is... which leaves only Jake and Landon for PR opponents (though there are a few others who I think could make the next update and are coming... but I'll leave that as it is until the next update is made). If I feel "ballzy" enough... well... ;)

SKidd

Smash Master
I'll teach you to Melee.

Deap, we need to rematch. I've improved so much.

Captain L

Smash Champion
so who got the joke about "stop using projectiles" as in the regular definition of melee as in not attacking from a distance?

SKidd

Smash Master
Doesn't mean you can't learn from me.

Though I will be addressing you as grasshopper.

... If you want.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
deap melee n brawl classes(and soccer tricks)

6 pm to 8 pm

3341 e 49th

1 month suscription : $7

3 months: $14

full year: $50

Asa

Smash Hero
LOL soccer tricks

HNG you better come to genesis
Deap should come too. so many mm's

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
i can teach you, just $10 per hour :)
Melee classes from me free!! I'm better then this guy ^^

That's higher pay than working at a fastfood place. :glare:

Skidd, teach me.
Don't worry man I will teach you.. I'm a really good teacher when it comes to Melee smash! :)

Teach me too (:
If you want I can teach you too..

Blue Yoshi's smash 64, melee, brawl, and other nintendo game classes: Free. However, all your exams will be money matches, so study hard, and you may make a profit from my classes.
LOL I thought about doing that once.. but nah my classes will be free! =D

JAKE CONFIRM ME FOR THIS TOURNAMENT!

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Blue Yoshi's smash 64, melee, brawl, and other nintendo game classes: Free. However, all your exams will be money matches, so study hard, and you may make a profit from my classes.
Mario strikers gc and wii
Mario party
Naruto clash of ninja
Mario kart(dd,ds,wii)
Marvel vs capcom 3

MM?

Or any other nintendo game :)

Mm

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Yes!!! :) You'll have to start from the basics though.

Deap, I'll mm you instead.
I taught a guy who knew nothing about smash and when he entered a tournament he did pretty well. He said he would of payed me like $15/hr because of how well I taught him. =)

LOL I'm down for a Mario Party MM for lolz (which Mario party?)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
JAKE CONFIRM ME FOR THIS TOURNAMENT!
Aww yeah

Yay! Thanks for the links. ^.^

And I will MM anybody in Strikers Charged. Mario Party would be cool too, but Robert would probably steal Yoshi again. >.>

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
But yeah, several characters rely on legit projectiles... DR. MARIO, MARIO, LUIGI, PEACH, Yoshi, FALCO, Fox, NESS, ICE CLIMBERS, SAMUS, SHEIK, Zelda, LINK, YOUNG LINK, Pichu, Pikachu, and Mewtwo (Caps mean characters heavily rely on projectiles). Obviously other characters have uses for projectiles (e.g. Bowser and GaW), but these characters rely on them the most.
Mario and Luigi don't rely on their projectiles at all. Zelda, Pichu really don't want to use their's either AT ALL. Mewtwo and fox really like their projectiles, but playstyle and matchup really depend if the latter uses his projectile much. Ness and Ice Climbers depend on what you count as a projectile and really differ in how they use it and how they might want to. All of Samus' projectiles are bad, and she depends on you thinking they're really good in order for you to faulter in the matchup, otherwise she has to patiently use them in their situational limits to yield much profit with them.

I watched the Will vs Richbrown match. It really got me thinking. Ever been to a casual tournament where players get mad if you exploit a move or tactic because the player always falls for it? Where they call it cheap and cheating? That's what I'm getting from brawl from the drama that one final match in the set caused. Truth of the matter is, Brawl's a great game when it's played in certain parameters, but the reason it's staying as a viable fighting game is because you're limiting it off. Fighting games don't really have that option. If it was played in the arcade style of how the arcade cabinet wanted you to play, it'd be tossed away as just another broken game like mortal kombat or some really bad version of king of fighters or something. But we're smashers, we create a game because we aren't in that same community alignment to them. The Gundam pvp game or Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble is closer to their community because it's in their enviroment. It's just really gay though thinking about it that if the tournament organizer doesn't phrase his rules right, stuff like that has a tendency to happen, with plank, m2k, will or whoever else has played extremely gay and had a controversial or drama causing match.

And I don't really want that. Not that BC has had that problem yet (has it?) but in general, if I were to put in time to get good, I'd want to travel out, and if I were to just be contently bad at a game and pay money for it, I have melee for that, or mvc2 at arcades, or halo, team fortress 2, or dota. Games that cost me significantly less to play and that I could get more promising results from in long term if I put myself to them. I just have this sideways feeling that I enjoy brawl when I am not active with melee, and since I've been active with melee for almost 3 quarters of a year now, I've felt no need to even try brawl again other than some casual matches with some in town friends or ****ing around with level 3 cpus to kill time.

So I don't think I'm going to be attending another brawl tournament, not for brawl at least. I'd love to still chill with you guys because you're all cool, but melee's def my calling in competitive gaming, and it's about time that I make my own apology and give that final nail to the coffin in Okanagan Brawl. Sorry guys. If you guys are having a big tournament (that doesn't interfere with a big melee tournament, sorry if the Melee TOs are being douches again) involving all your players, let me know, because that sounds like it'd be a good time to head down to see you guys again. I'll probably play some brawl too. But most of all, keep in touch.

Since you guys are being silly saying money matches, I'll money matchj anyone in a one continue run on Super Ghouls n Ghosts. 10$ minimum, gotta pay for a trip after all.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Wall of text (no screen stretch kthx)
To be fair though, stuff like that does happen in Melee as well; it just occurs more frequently in higher profile matches in Brawl due to a combination of it being easier to perform and the fact that more players are willing to do that kind of stuff (often to prove a point about rulesets, as was the case in Rich Brown vs. Will). And yes, the ruleset in Brawl is kinda convoluted, but Melee rulesets often do have wobbling banned, so it's not like Melee is free from the need for artificial limitations. I see your point, but I don't think the differences between Melee and Brawl are as black and white as they seem reading your post.

It's perfectly understandable if you don't want to come down again for Brawl, especially given how far away you are. Who knows, maybe there will be a good tournament for both games someday. Perhaps we'll see you then. =]

Jake how much(Strikers Charged)?
$5 sounds good; I might want to warm up for a game or two though. =3 What rules would we use?

Captain L

Smash Champion
I'll guitar hero money match people.

Gotta practice for the school tournament.

Top Bottom