• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

john

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghlbtsk

Smash Rookie
Maybe it's just because I'm a n00b, but I really can't see how "sportsmanship johns" detract from the experience at all. They seem to be a manner of common courtesy. Did I miss something?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Maybe it's just because I'm a n00b, but I really can't see how "sportsmanship johns" detract from the experience at all. They seem to be a manner of common courtesy. Did I miss something?
When you get beaten in a tournament match by someone you feel you should have defeated, how do you feel when they say "good match" or "good game"?

Where is 'I didn't play for a while'?
Self johns
• I'm out of practice

airball

Smash Apprentice
Trying to find out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Cr
When you get beaten in a tournament match by someone you feel you should have defeated, how do you feel when they say "good match" or "good game"?
Well, actually that happens to me a fair bit, and not just in smash. When they do say it, I just feel they're being good sports about it. I mean, I'd feel a lot worse if they didn't say it, and started being a bit of a jerk, wouldn't you?

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
LMAO!!! these are the ones i mostly use
• I suck
• You're much better than me
• I should quit
• I'm going to lose
• I got lucky
• You're too good
• You play cheap
• There's nothing I can do
• I so teched that

and i use others..
How the **** am i winning?!?
How did i get 100%

What i learned about this whole thing is that Smash isnt just killing you opponents, it also tests mental and emotional endurance. The endurance helps you accept a loss (or 100). if you lose a match, you get back on your feet and try again. But if you constantly lose (thats me!!), not having that endurance can break you down and maybe scar you for life.

"It's the same as in Halo 2, I don't know how many FFA's I have played where people complain of the host. Or that they haven't warmed up, or that you just got a lucky spawn. " (sry i dont wanna double post)

In Halo 2 FFA, its sometimes funny getting killed even funnier if assassinated or stuck especially when just playing with swords. After I die i would just say "WHAT THE HELL!!!" "KILL HIM!!!" or "I should start screening"

but iono if these are actual Halo 2 Johns
"Stop screening"
"Sloppy second"
"No Spawn killing"

chronofreak

Smash Apprentice
lol, I could attach 1-3 of those gameplay johns to each of my friends, as well as myself.

• There's nothing I can do!
:grin: That's me when I can't get out of my friend's shine/drill-kick combo with Falco.

The Noodle

Smash Cadet
I generally don't john unless it's with friends, and even then we try to make it fun. I don't really re-use any lines... so yeah.

I consider a "good game" to be a close match, so I'd likely agree with them, and consider the match overall a success, even if I didn't win. It was a good game after all. I would say the same if I were in their position most likely, or something along the lines of "good game".

However, if I played stupidly, I don't feel so great hearing "good game" after a match, whether I won it or lost it.

Blood Falcon said:
What i learned about this whole thing is that Smash isnt just killing you opponents, it also tests mental and emotional endurance. The endurance helps you accept a loss (or 100). if you lose a match, you get back on your feet and try again. But if you constantly lose (thats me!!), not having that endurance can break you down and maybe scar you for life.
That's very... interesting. I guess I've lost so many times I've gotten to the point where losses don't shake me as much, I usually just try walk away knowing more. Even in the middle of a match, new things can click when you get KO'ed (or fragged in Halo). You just need to keep your cool. Remember, when you make an excuse, whether to yourself or to others, you're just excusing yourself from self-improvement. You've gotta take what you've learned and run with it.

I will say there isn't much to learn from getting spawn killed in Halo before you can take a single step. :psycho: (actually, if it was a team game, you could get your teammates to move to improve the spawning situation :p ).

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
this is the better / best john list

so i post here

"dude i just spilled water all over me!"
"wtf's that noise?!"
"i wish i could see the screen..."
"i forgot my contacts...no johns tho.."
"look at you, you're all into it"
me: "man i love my down a" person:"ITS DOWN SMASH STUPID!!!"
yea i haven't even warmed up yet....

Rye

Smash Journeyman
I think that phana should go back and id them alpha numerically. That way, you could respond with "That's john B-21".

Likewise, instead of actually having to say "You Suck" you could say "C-1".

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
I was thinking of somethin glike that when I firsat read it, so you can say "No Johns son. C-13" or something like that.

I'm thinking of having a John jar at our next tourny, and if you John you have to put a dollar in the jar, much like the logic of a swear jar.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Combo Video Johns
- I bet you can't do that in a real match
- Your opponents are noobs
- Your opponents don't DI
- The music sucks
- The video quality sucks
- The editing sucks
- Cool video, but I could probably beat you
- You didn't say thanks for watching

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
this is the better / best john list

so i post here

"dude i just spilled water all over me!"
"wtf's that noise?!"
"i wish i could see the screen..."
"i forgot my contacts...no johns tho.."
"look at you, you're all into it"
me: "man i love my down a" person:"ITS DOWN SMASH STUPID!!!"
yea i haven't even warmed up yet....
No johns, son.

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I think I am going to print out this list and read off random johns at my next tournament. Of course I'll probably lose all of my matches because I'll be searching for another john on the list every time I get hit/die. "Well you try and read and play at the same time."

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
this list is ****ing stupid as hell. i read half of those like "good match" and i wonder, HOW THE **** IS THAT A JOHN. PLZ EXPLAIN HOW "YOU ARE BETTER THAN" ME IS A JOHN.

phanna go do some more superwavedahses plz thx

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Is Cherokee Warrior the ******** step-brother of 5150 or something? I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom