• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

T-block

B2B TST
Does anyone here actively look to take advantage of RCO lag? I mean... jab isn't the easiest thing for Jigglypuff to land, but jab > Rest should be guaranteed pretty much every character that suffers from it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
RCO lag is that mega lag that comes from when some characters use upB and land w/o using aerial lag to reset. Some characters get as much as like 30 frames of landing lag rofl, so sometimes characters can "steal" their landing and land a ridiculously strong attack on them during the landing lag.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Jab often pops your opponent in the air.
If it does and he has his RCO lag his landing will take 15-30 frames instead of 2-4.
So you jab, you charge a Fsmash and watch as he hopelessly tries to shield it.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
how can you use a jab to get advantage on something like that?

RCO = Phantom Lag?

Ie Ganon's up B and phantasm
Yup, RCO's just the "official" name for it

Jab often pops your opponent in the air.
If it does and he has his RCO lag his landing will take 15-30 frames instead of 2-4.
So you jab, you charge a Fsmash and watch as he hopelessly tries to shield it.
This, all you basically do is jab just before they touch the ground, so that they don't get the option to jump/AD/etc. in time.

I saw a match where D3 used jab -> smash on marth's RCO lag, which was lulzy.

T-block

B2B TST
When certain characters sweetspot their recoveries, the next time they land they get additional lag. So if you see Squirtle sweetspot the ledge with his up-b and he does a roll/attack/normal get up (anything but jump or ledgehop really, so that he hasn't landed from the air yet), he will have additional lag next time he lands. So if you can find a way to pop him up into the air slightly (ie- force a landing) he'll have 30 frames of landing lag.

Here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252451

What's up Jiggly mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I would normally use this stage as a legit counterpick. It doesn't hinder us in any way, and if anything supports us. The stage is big enough to run away, and the way the stage is layed out works well with rollout (we automatically cling to the ledge.

This helps alot of our MU's, such as falco, and other characters that do well with multiple platforms, and tryingto escape the lava. Our mobility allows us to be able to avoid the lava rather easily.

Stalling is definetly a strategy puffs could use here. Though. The low ceiling helps our rest kills. The long horizontal style of the stage allows us to get our opponents out and down there, allowing us to gimp. The best stretegy, is MU dependent though. With jigglypuff, it all depends with the style of your opponent.

I would say this stage depends, though i would say good as well.
Though, no puff would ever take a snake to norfair. Or G&W.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
What's up Jiggly mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
1. The layout is good for Jigglypuff. The stage is large so she has lots of space to abuse her aerial mobility and the multiple ledges give her lots of defensive options. The small size of the platforms also allows for good aerial pressure.

2. She is good on the stage against a large portion of the cast. I'd take basically everyone here, it's probably her best stage in my opinion.

3. Puff would want to basically get the lead and then run away, lol.

4. VERY good.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
i usually just hop between the ledges on each platform and throw out air moves...approach by ledge, attack by ledge, defend by ledge...but count your ledge grabs D:

Okay, this works.

One more question, what would you guys say is Jigglypuff's best strategy for this stage? Would she be good at camping/running away, controlling the top/bottom, or is she just good all around at this stage?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Which is better for momentum canceling? Bair or Uair? I usually use Uair just because it looks like it comes out faster.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Bair starts and ends faster.
Though, i feel that uair works better for slowing your speed. I think it may be a mental thing though.

Bair defintely is faster than Uair, but what i've been doing lately is bair to uair.

i still feel as though uair is what stops me better.

/tried to find a link.

My old vids i seem to use dair.

but dairs no good XD

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Bair to pound is officially the best way to survive/di. There's a thread about it and a video about it on youtube.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Not bair to jump? That's interesting.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Does bair > pound ever allow you to survive something you otherwise couldn't on a LEGAL stage? I remember there was a lot of discussion about Wario's bike momentum cancel but it could rarely be applied on legal stages since they just aren't big enough. So it was determined that his best momentum cancel was usually FF Dair > jump The only special cancels that I've found useful are flip kick, nayru's love, bucket (obviously), DK's Up B, and Pikachu's side B. It seems like the others push you back too far before they stop your momentum or they just aren't fast enough.

And yeah Mink, Uair does seem to stop your momentum better. How much slower is uair than bair?

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Oh that's kewl. I guess I'll bair > pound then. x3

Minky, how many boards do you visit? O: I see you everywhere

T-block

B2B TST
I think b-air to jump is equally effective horizontally, but obviously not as effective vertically, and since ideal DI will have you curve towards to absolute corner of the stage boundaries, Pound is the better choice.

@Deathfox: which aerial comes out faster makes no difference. It's all about which one ends the fastest.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How long can Puff stay in the air without grabbing a ledge or landing?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
How long can Puff stay in the air without grabbing a ledge or landing?
Around fifteen seconds from the ground level on any stage and landing on the ground level. The number can be much higher if you start on say, the top platform of Battlefield.

If you really want to annoy other people, use this font.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Really? Thats all? I expected something a bit higher, but that'll do.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
No doubt guys.

We have an export on Grab Releases currently.
I want to know right now, when you guys are playing, do you approach with Fair or Bair?

In all fairness, i use FAIR wayyyy too much when i'm approaching, as i should keep it fresh. I need to use bair more. The main times i use bair is when i realize i'm using fair to approach and i try to swtich it up.

Top Bottom