• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Is grounded Pound actually useful at all? I looked at that combos thread and it helped me a bit but I'm still questioning the grounded Pound. I don't ever use grounded Pound except on accident. Should I be using it?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Is grounded Pound actually useful at all? I looked at that combos thread and it helped me a bit but I'm still questioning the grounded Pound. I don't ever use grounded Pound except on accident. Should I be using it?
Pound has significant start up lag, and the aerial version can be spaced well enough that the lag
happens during the time in which Puff approaches with it. The grounded version leaves her wide open before the hitbox comes out, so it's not advised to use it on the ground.

tl;dr - No.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
ground pound beats short hopped bairs such as tlinks. it can also cause a stage spike if your opponent stage returns wrong
oh and it beats rock smash :D
silly charizard

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The only time I use grounded pound is by landing with it after a SH Bair/Fair. If you time it right Jiggs won't say anything (silent pounding ftw).

Else what Noobicidal said. Jiggs has way better options on the ground, like jumping or shielding then jumping OOS.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Okaaay then. I have another question.

So a long while ago I posted in this thread which aerial Jigglypuff should momentum cancel with and I got the answer of f-air. Useless background info approaching -->[Well see, I never really listened. I use Falcon(a lot) and I remember looking at the Guide to DI thread in the tactical section and it stated to momentum cancel using B-air with Falcon. I got into the habit of that and I believed it to be working out. this habit carried on to when I played Jigglypuff and I believed it was working fine. Just recently though, I realized I could SH b-air second jump b-air b-air for a WoP of sorts. I always knew that I could do the same with U-air but I seemed to have an easier time doing it with U-air than with B-air. This got me thinking whether B-air really is the best aerial Falcon can use to momentum cancel with. I can't confirm which one is better for it since the Falcons... don't have the frame data for the moves...]
tl;dr: I momentum cancel with B-air for Jigglypuff. And now I just looked at the frame data for Jigglypuff's B-air and F-air. It seems that B-air has a duration of 40 frames while F-air has a duration of 44 frames, 4 more than B-air. So would this not mean that B-air would actually be better for momentum canceling than F-air since you would be able to jump and cancel momentum 4 frames earlier?

tl;dr: Isn't b-air better for momentum canceling than F-air?

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I've been able to land a rest when my opponent starts being silly and charges a smash attack or something by airdodging -> buffering rest. I'm pretty sure this is a reliable to get a rest when the situation calls for it but with attacks like metaknight's f-smash would the buffered rest still be able to hit before it can be shielded?

I was also wondering something similar about Falcos' lasers. Since they have such low hitstun, would it be possibly say... to rest a falco up close right after you get hit with one of his silent ac lasers (let's say he jabs right after or something)?

Tham

Smash Apprentice
hm ... afaik is the laser an electronic attack, that means that the hitstun is 1,5 times bigger than normally (think that was the point at the shine in melee... im not sure if thats still so in brawl)
if falco does a laser, he has not that much lag ... you really have to stand close to him to SDI into him an rest, jab will help you to SDI into him or maybe behind (after falcos jab there is most often a grab, so he will grab the air if you SDI behind him and you have some time to rest)
but i think you will nearly never get into the situation that you will get hit by a laser right before a falco (if i play falco i dont jump directly in front of my opponent and laser ... dunno whats going on when pros play falco xD)
jab is punishable with rest
same thing if you fail resting
chars like diddy can charge a fsmash, if you see that just mash your controllstick and your cstick to diddy and up (so 45°), if your doin it right you get hit by the first hit of diddys fsmash and you can easily rest him while doing the 2nd hit
i think this does not work with pits fsmash cause his hitboxed go also a bit behind him ... maybe you have to SDI up ... dunno xD, but im pretty sure this works with diddy - and jiggs is sometimes picked against diddy, so maybe someone didnt know this and it helped ...

a small question: my only offlineopponent (my bro) play kirby, so its my most trained MU, but i dont feel like this MU is even (although we both are quite even)
what do you think about this MU? 60-40 Kirby? or worth (kirby is quite predictable in ways of approaching, grounded final cutters are really easy to rest, kirby dies early if you rest, but kirby can kill you easy too ... dunno xD)
and what do you think is jiggs worst MU?

and what do you do if u hoped your opponent tripped when you dair him, he does not trip and SDIed behind you
what would you do?
what would you do if he SDIed in front of you?
hope you all will get pretty nice into the new year ;)

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I've been able to land a rest when my opponent starts being silly and charges a smash attack or something by airdodging -> buffering rest. I'm pretty sure this is a reliable to get a rest when the situation calls for it but with attacks like metaknight's f-smash would the buffered rest still be able to hit before it can be shielded?

I was also wondering something similar about Falcos' lasers. Since they have such low hitstun, would it be possibly say... to rest a falco up close right after you get hit with one of his silent ac lasers (let's say he jabs right after or something)?
^Still need answers. I put the jab thing in there because his jab hits on frame 2, same as rest. But with invincibility frames you can avoid the jab and still rest his hand/wing for when he performs the jab animation right? Better wording for the second part would be does Falcos' lasers have enough hitstun for him to follow up with a Jab right away if he silent auto-cancels it if we rest right away after the laser hits Jigglypuff.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
make a lvl 9 jiggz face a lvl 9 kirby and watch it. the jiggz will most likely roll backwards multiple times due to the limited options he has

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
haha, I haven't gotten too much worse since I stopped playing. All the strats and timings are still in my head.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I dont understand why Jiggs is so low on the tier list. I mean yeah she isnt good but all her arials are sexnasty. And her recovery is so good for spacing the edge. I personally think she should be higher on the tier list.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Is the invincibility frames after rest useful at all? Would it be better if she didn't have it?

Also what happened to illinialex24? How did he become super banned?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
The invincibility I don't think really does anything. I think you get one invincibility frame before, then rest hits on the next frame. I'll have to ask Veril the next time I get the chance, or you could ask him. It's probably in a thread somewhere a few pages back. The invincibility frames around rest are basically there so that if you land a rest, there's a very slim chance of trading hits. You won't rest someone just as they say, do an fair then get flown back. It's nothing you need to really worry about though.

Alex, I don't even know. I'm pretty sure he just built up a ton of infractions and eventually accumulates too many permanent infractions. Something like that.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
What is the best way to counter Sonic's spin and homing attacks? Is it better to step dodge, or Pound, or whatever?

Is the invincibility frames after rest useful at all? Would it be better if she didn't have it?
Not really. You can use rest on bomb-ombs before they start walking without taking damage. It's pretty cool, but it isn't useful, it would be better to shield.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
There isn't a single way to counter it. You have to keep your distance from Sonic so his approach is more readable. If you're at mid range he has way too many options and tricks for you to keep him out. Stay right in his face or far away or he'll hurt you. I usually do a full hop dair, retreating a little bit.

If he's just running at you just dash grab him. Sonic's grab range is pretty bad.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I was reading the frame data, and I find that the invincibility frame on frame 1 is useful but in my opinion having the other invincibility frames that appear after rest only make trading hits with Jigglypuff harder, so that when you rest you actually have more of a chance to be punished since trading hits become slightly harder. So **** no use for the invincibility frames after rest?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Wait what? The frames after yes sort of hinder but in the long run it makes rest much safer on hit. The one frame before rest helps for perfect resting since you can close the distance between their hurt box and your hit box a bit.

The frames after can also help is some situations. When Jigglypuff lands a rest, the hitbox extends. So if you rest one Ice Climber, the box will most likely extend and hit the other (If they're synched). Those extra frames ensure this stretched out box hits. The only time it's useful is against Ice Climbers and in doubles.

Judo777

Smash Master
I havent heard of like any jigglypuff mains going to a tournament any time recently. Does anyone still main puff?

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Jiggly is my third main. I'm not all that good with her since i haven't been playing her in a while now. Blah need more training

Top Bottom