• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Who is considered the best Jigglypuff? I'm looking for the best example of what Jigglypuff is capable of, cause I'm interested in the metagame of the character (no, not maining her/him).

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Who is considered the best Jigglypuff? I'm looking for the best example of what Jigglypuff is capable of, cause I'm interested in the metagame of the character (no, not maining her/him).
Most likely VaNz, but g-reg, PNDMike, and Thinkaman are likely candidates.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Hey Jigglypuff users, I've got a question for you guys.

I'm wondering about how well Jigglypuff does in Doubles, and which partner would be best suited for her. We are considering specifically those candidates: ZSS, Zelda, G&W, DDD, Wario, Lucas.

I really don't know a lot about Jigglypuff. We're setting up Double Teams for a upcoming tourney and trying to optimize.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Q: How do I get past Marth's SHFair? when attempting to approach and hit back that is. So what is the safe option for me when he knows I like to bair close to the ground and so he out ranges with Fair?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
In theory, you could powershield it. It comes out really fast though, so I wouldn't expect it.

If he does a retreating fair there's not much you can do. If he's short hopping towards you, shield grabbing is usually a good option. If he ends up just above you, you can sh nair to get him away.

Bair isn't really a safe option much of the time. Other Jigglies wont advise it, but I would use fair a lot. Fair is great for getting him off stage and keeping him off stage. Fair only needs to be saved for matchups where you can't gimp them (Metaknight, D3 to some extent, etc.)

EDIT:

I'm wondering about how well Jigglypuff does in Doubles, and which partner would be best suited for her. We are considering specifically those candidates: ZSS, Zelda, G&W, DDD, Wario, Lucas.

I really don't know a lot about Jigglypuff. We're setting up Double Teams for a upcoming tourney and trying to optimize.
ZSS does great with Jigglypuff. Wario is amazing in teams but to be honest, Jigglypuff and Wario don't compliment each other well, G&W is good too, but I don't know anything about Lucas.

Teams are more about the strategies you use than the characters you use though. Don't think that having a really good combination of characters will set you up for an easy win.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Arent all of mk`s moves except his specials and glide attack unable to block any projectiles because of his laser priority on his normal attacks?

As in how falcos lasers goes straight through other projectiles?
MK can "clash" with or negate every projectile except for traditional lasers. Glide attack for example can negate FULLY charged charge shots from Samus and Aura Spheres from Lucario.

The Falco laser is unrelated.

She does really well in most doubles situations. She's pretty much THE assist character in doubles. Partner her with someone who can kill easily, and you're set.

My bias aside, I suggest D3.

Q: How do I get past Marth's SHFair? when attempting to approach and hit back that is. So what is the safe option for me when he knows I like to bair close to the ground and so he out ranges with Fair?
Either prepare to shield it, or attempt to Pound your way through; we simply can't out-space Fair. Sh shield approaches can get you close enough to shield-grab Marth while he's attacking.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
jump over marth wait for him to roll or something, if he goes for u-airs go toward the edge, then spam fairs and retreat back to the ledge lawl

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
ZSS does great with Jigglypuff. Wario is amazing in teams but to be honest, Jigglypuff and Wario don't compliment each other well, G&W is good too, but I don't know anything about Lucas.

Teams are more about the strategies you use than the characters you use though. Don't think that having a really good combination of characters will set you up for an easy win.
Yea, well ZSS does pretty well in teams in general :) . Thanks for the input. And yea, it's true that strategies are what that make the teams, but choosing characters make those strategies ;)

She does really well in most doubles situations. She's pretty much THE assist character in doubles. Partner her with someone who can kill easily, and you're set.

My bias aside, I suggest D3.
Thanks. So yea, seems Jiggly plays a very good support role in teams. Think I'm gonna try out ZSS/Jiggly and DDD/Jiggly

Cold Fusion

So, I am wondering which stages to strike on the ladder.

The stages are:
*Battle field
*Final Destination
*Pokemon Stadium 1
*Smashville
*Yoshi's Island

I usually go for BF.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
So, I am wondering which stages to strike on the ladder.

The stages are:
*Battle field
*Final Destination
*Pokemon Stadium 1
*Smashville
*Yoshi's Island

I usually go for BF.
YI's slopes mess with my auto-canceling.

Unrelated, but YI makes Ganon cry.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Eh..I'd say strike fd/smashville, aren't those basically camp-friendly stages? Ex. I hate fd/smashville when fighting Snake because it gives him more room to run away. You might wanna strike YI since it's kinda friendly to bad recoveries with those miracle platforms.
Just a thought..

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
Eh..I'd say strike fd/smashville, aren't those basically camp-friendly stages? Ex. I hate fd/smashville when fighting Snake because it gives him more room to run away. You might wanna strike YI since it's kinda friendly to bad recoveries with those miracle platforms.
Just a thought..
if you sing someone on one of those platforms its an 0-death

WingBr

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. I main Ike and use a tilt stick setup,and as I try to second puff, I was wondering: what would be the best controller setup for her? Should I stay with the tilt stick or change it back to smash stick or it doesn't matter at all?

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Hey everyone. I main Ike and use a tilt stick setup,and as I try to second puff, I was wondering: what would be the best controller setup for her? Should I stay with the tilt stick or change it back to smash stick or it doesn't matter at all?
Probably smash stick is better. You can perform a Dash-Attack-Cancel with it (so long as Tap Jump is off).

WingBr

Smash Cadet
Probably smash stick is better. You can perform a Dash-Attack-Cancel with it (so long as Tap Jump is off).
Are you talking about DACUS? If so, I can perform it with tilt stick too, so I think it's not a problem.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
You don't need tapjump off; it actually IMPROVES jiggz by making jumping more accessible. Without it, I have to press X or Y, which makes her very stiff. Remember, you're always in the air to take advantage of what little quirks she has. And on that same token, mapping grab to x makes grabbing easier by not moving fingers as much. Every millisecond counts!

if you don't DACUS, you're either- A: not practicing the button sequence enough, or B: not paying attention.

Bottom line: Practice it more; don't judge your performance on tapjump.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Has Jigglypuff's metagame changed much in the past 4-5 months?

AND

Who are the best Jigglypuff mains at the moment?

Cold Fusion

Has Jigglypuff's metagame changed much in the past 4-5 months?

AND

Who are the best Jigglypuff mains at the moment?
I don't believe the metagame has changed at all. As of now, the best Jiggs main is likely Vanz.

Kishin

Smash Ace
So I was screwing around with this Jigglypuff CPU and I swear it looked like it wavedashed at me from the ledge. Is this supposed to be some Jigglypuff tech or something? I have the replay.

Cia

das kwl
So I was screwing around with this Jigglypuff CPU and I swear it looked like it wavedashed at me from the ledge. Is this supposed to be some Jigglypuff tech or something? I have the replay.
Jigglypuff kind off auto lands on certain ledges. It's easiest to do on Pictochat (see what happens when you fair from the ledge) but i've gotten it a few times on Smashville and FD.

i <3 Puff

Smash Master
Can someone show me a picture of jiggs rest hitbox? I hear it's slightly disjointed, but I want to see for myself.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Can someone show me a picture of jiggs rest hitbox? I hear it's slightly disjointed, but I want to see for myself.
Jigglypuff Hitbox Thread (Thanks MrEh)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217430

Rest

Surprised? Well, not really.
Jiggs' ears were a good way to estimate the width of the hitbox, since Rest could never hit a target that was beyond her ears. After that, it was pretty much trial and error to test how tall the hitbox was. In the end, it appears that the hitbox is in the dead center of Jiggs, with even spacing all around it. Which makes it more like an oval, not a circle like I once thought. The hitbox really shouldn't be surprising though, since we all know by now that Jiggs has to literally be inside her opponent for it to work. ^^
It disjoints when you use it on a breakable object such as the terrain on brinstar or another player.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm considering maining Jiggs so I have a few nooby questions.

Would you say Jiggs is one of the least popular chars in the game?

Sing is supposedly useless unless it's a LCS, but why can't you try to use it to punish dodges? I assumed that because of the dodge, you could actually catch them with the later frames of sing, possibly giving you a frame advantage. I know this would have been thought of before and dismissed as a bad tactic, but I'd like to know why, so I don't try it in matches.

Aside from boost grabbing and smashing, what would be the most important things to learn first as a new Jiggs main?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Ledge canceled sing is useless too. Sing only is out during three pulses. It wouldn't be hard for the dodge to end up in between those pulses. If you screw up sing you're screwed. I don't think anyone has posted it before though, and I guess if the opponent is rolling into you, you could maybe try it.

I wouldn't bother learning her for anything other than maybe the Ice Climbers matchup or friendlies. If you really want to, learn to space with ONLY bair. Then once you can space really well with bair then start using fair. You want to be using bair for the majority of the time, and saving the fair for killing. Once you get better with Jigglypuff you can start using that fair for spacing, then ending up killing them with a dash attack, DACUS, gimps/ledge guards etc. Save the fair during matchups where you can't gimp them though, like the MK or Kirby matchup.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks, but with regards to punishing dodges with sing, surely it would be possible to time it so that you catch them with the last pulse of sing when they come out of their dodge.

It wouldn't be easy, and it's not something you'd do very often, maybe once a set or something, but surely it's viable isn't it, and couldn't that lead into a free drill rest or something like that.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Yes, I'm sure it's possible. It's not practical though. Messing up a move like sing, with a light character like Jigglypuff is a bad idea. You would be better off punishing a dodge with an fsmash or fair.

The only time I use sing is on recoveries, sometimes. Like a fox will over shoot the ledge and on the way down I begin a sing. If the opponent is smart they go for the ledge and just use a ledge attack to punish, but sometimes they just end up landing and they get hit by the 2nd/ 3rd pulse.

The difference is, I'm punished by a ledge attack where the opponent has little to no lag to punish you. Not that either strategy is a good one, you have to know if the risk is worth the reward. Sing is never worth the risk since the rewards are never good enough for the risk. I guess Sing can be used in doubles, but that's really it.

Top Bottom