• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Video Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
im sad the ZSS hype train ended so abruptly across the entire planet

peach though damn

i wonder if kie beat any good mks to get there, id love to see those sets

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Piosuma tourneys always have a lot of videos uploaded on various youtube channels. With Kie placing that high, it's very likely that you will see some of his sets.

:059:

Unneurotic

Smash Journeyman

Doubles Results
1: Rain & Nietono
2: Yukhoe & Choco
3: Otori & Namata
4: Kamemushi & Teria
5: Kakera & Brood
5: Tamanyaso & Jil
7: Shimitake & Graphtiy
7: DIO & SIN

Djent

Smash Champion
Thank you so much for this. I've always appreciated brackets more than just numerical placings - they tell so much more about who is actually good vs. who got lucky.

Did not expect Nietono to have gone to losers' so early - and not at the hands of Kuroobi, at that.
Choco lost to Rain and Nietono, only getting 13th place to show for it. That's as tough a break as any! On another note, I really want to see his match with Fsann. :bee:
Kanemushi beat Abandango - what characters did these two play? Surprising.
Though I've been hyped over Umeki lately, his loss to Shima put him in 25th. Too bad given Kie's amazing finish - apparently he is leagues better?

So Kie had a R1 Bye and played Rain R2. Holy Japanese Seeding, Batman! He then proceeded to tear through 7 rounds of losers' eliminating 3 of the 4 great Snakes in attendance BACK TO BACK (including DIO, sweet revenge for SRT :smirk:). Perhaps Peach vs. Snake isn't truly that bad a matchup? Either that, or Kie just happens to be one of the best crappy character mains Brawl has ever seen.

The other amazing bracket play would have to be Kairo. She took out Daiki R1 and Shu R2, only to lose to Hazureimu (5th) and Kie (4th). Too bad she only got 13th to show for it! She seems to have improved a lot.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Japanese seeding and ridiculous upset make the results unpredictable. Hazureimu got 5th with no true top level win whereas Dio got 7th despite beating Kakera and Abadango. Even Kie didn't beat any top level player at this to place 4th. He did overcome a couple of bad matchups, he's way too good.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
For what it's worth though, the absence of the likes of Mikeneko and Masha didn't help a lot either.

Tesh

Smash Hero
considering they let a peach get 4th, i dont think there was anyone there we'd expect to beat a top MK anyway.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It just occurred to me now that 3 of the top 4 came from the same quarter of the bracket.

Yep, and that is why the placing tells you less about a character's capabilites than his wins in bracket. Brood, Kakera and Otori were in the same quarter of the bracket as were Rain, Nietono and Kie. Meanwhile Hazureimu had a borderline free ride to WQF, which in turn gave Kie a borderline free win against him in losers.

I'm not going to call it "bad" seeding though because it isn't. It's just a different way of approaching competitive gaming ... we may not agree with their philosophy but that doesn't give us the right to judge it as inferior to ours. What matters is who wins the tournament and that can only be done by being better than whomever you face in pools or bracket, simple as that. If you want to win you have to be the best, so it doesn't matter who you are playing at what point in the bracket. And that's a legitimate interpretation of competitive play.

Djent

Smash Champion
I guess I'm biased because I like brackets that are (somewhat) accurate beyond 2nd place, which cannot be the case when the best 1st-seeds are all clustered together. What I call "bad" seeding never disrupts the accuracy of the highest placings - though as you noted, it makes placings below that largely irrelevant. In that sense, preferentially-separating 1st seeds actually does more for the other players than it does for the people being separated.

For the record, I actually think American tournaments give too much preference to some 1st-seeds. For example, M2K and Ally will never end up on the same side of the bracket, unless it's a tournament the size of Apex. I guess my own preference would be something between the seeding styles of JP and US/EU. It all comes down to tradeoffs between objectivity (treating all 1st-seeds the same) and the relative accuracy of placings (which goes up if the best players don't play each other early).

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Hey I'm visiting japan with two friends. I am extremely into brawl but my friends are not as much. Wondering if anyone wants to either
(1) house and hangout with us
(2) meet up and smash a bit
(3) meet up and go out for sights or parties

We're all from california and recently graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara. This is our celebration trip, and we'll be in japan for a month until July 20.

facebook: john zobac

let me know!

Unneurotic

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm visiting japan with two friends. I am extremely into brawl but my friends are not as much. Wondering if anyone wants to either
(1) house and hangout with us
(2) meet up and smash a bit
(3) meet up and go out for sights or parties

We're all from california and recently graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara. This is our celebration trip, and we'll be in japan for a month until July 20.

facebook: john zobac

let me know!
Where are you going to visit in Japan? Many of Japanese smash players live in and around Tokyo or Osaka.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Currently in Tokyo. Two days left! Then using a JR pass to go North and around Japan, then south and around Japan.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
SumabatoX21 will take place in two days - due to time zone differences it's actually more like 1.5 though. Like most tournaments in the Kansai region it's not particularly stacked [especially with Masha not entering events anymore and SLS disappearing again] but with 9B, Akira, Earth, Shogun and Aki there's still a couple of good players. A lot of newcomers and 2 veteran players - Shin and Smasher - also have signed themselves up.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Going all over Japan now. Let me know if there are any cities I should stop by either for smash or for tourist sake!

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Finally videos of Fsann! I have been waiting for this since other Nesses dont bring anything new to the table, especially in this matchup. Thats just the PK Flash use I've been trying to find situations for.

You seem to travel a lot, Crackle. Finland, Japan... Very cool, unusual choices!

Shaky

Smash Ace
No offense to Fsann (I think his playstyle was solid) but that MK had no idea what he was doing in the matchup so most of the things Fsann did that looked like they could work actually don't. Also the "other Nesses dont bring anything new to the table" comment kinda stung :(

Unneurotic

Smash Journeyman
SumabatoX Results

1: 9B
2: Aki
3: Kie
4: Cross
5: Edge
5: Earth
7: Akira
7: Isotaku
9: Sygnuss
9: Komorikiri
9: Shin
9: Shogun
13: Sakasaka
13: Kuroan
13: busa
13: Wanapero

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Im aware of that Shaky. And sorry, I didnt mean it like that. I just think I play this matchup very similar to you and Fsann brought slightly different point of view and playstyle for this MU. :)

Youre still my favorite Ness! ;)

Top Bottom