• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Video Thread

strawhats

Smash Master
lol m2k, with that Apex training...you better practicing how to not get wrecked by ICs in melee. (specifically Wobbles and Fly Amanita)

strawhats

Smash Master
no idea what to do vs that character im so inconsistent vs them and have no best char vs them
ever consider watching PPU's recent set vs Fly to see what he was doing in the Neutral game or how he killed nana efficiently. Of course that's not concrete marth vs ICs play because Fly mentioned that he could've done some things differently. Or even looking at Taj's vids (his best MU outside of vs falco is against ICs) with all of his practice against Wobbles. I'd focus on how to approach this MU from a neutral game perspective. Your marth play has gotten kinda janky/stale against non-spacies in the last few years.(have you ever gone back to look at some of your 2k7 vids) Your better than you were then, you just seem to make rather unoptimal decisions sometimes at the most critical times(see your sets vs Armada) I'd like to see that marth neutral game that you had back in your marth prime (Efficient, yet patient and deadly. Not Fsmashing as much as u do now either) but if you're more comfortable with sheik, its your call.

I'd say fox/marth (if you actually spent time learning the MU) are your best bets vs ICs though.

I mean sheik vs those two seems rough, and fox...well one mistake and your dead (although you can kill nana early with shine)

Damnit m2k just main marth again. I'd like to see how it'd fair in a set vs. Axe's pika(not just that one game on YS at Zenith 2011)/Shroomed's doc.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Impressive my mikeneko, but RAIN is amazing.
Wait... so Rain won right?

who does El use?

& I'm guessin a ZSS got 4th?

:sonic:

WHy is it that US players are so dominant & Japan players are so....

RANDOM @ beating each other...?

Its almost as if they each could have a "Lucky" day @ anytime.

Minus Nientono... He beat EVERYTHING we threw @ him @ Apex

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
El has beaten Otori before, they are like 2-2. Which is weird because vinnie and me ***** El when we played him in Japan. It must be a style counter. But I also might be countered by otori since all 7 japan people that beat him this year I have the advantage over all of them. I think a lot of style counters exist in brawl. Vinnie beats Brood solidly but Brood beats 9b. nietono beats vinnie solidly but 9b beats nietono.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
El doesn't actually like the MK ditto and supposedly doesn't practice it. Vinnie is just very good and the MK / IC match-up is inconsistent.

:059:

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
El has beaten Otori before, they are like 2-2. Which is weird because vinnie and me ***** El when we played him in Japan. It must be a style counter. But I also might be countered by otori since all 7 japan people that beat him this year I have the advantage over all of them. I think a lot of style counters exist in brawl. Vinnie beats Brood solidly but Brood beats 9b. nietono beats vinnie solidly but 9b beats nietono.
Totally agree @ style counters.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
It's really weird but really true.
like an mk that is good at gimping will counter one that recovers really predictable. Diffrence is that it goes a lot farther in top level.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
No lie....

What I had posted here was ********

Nairo, ESAM, Anti, Ally, Neintono & a Japan MK will make top 8.

Everything else is...

strawhats

Smash Master
learn how to fight pit...who knows how u would've done vs masashi. Unless it was just Earth's style. Speaking of which did u face any other pits in Japan?

@ B_AWAL Also i thought that nietono wasn't going to this tournament.

strawhats

Smash Master
then its a decision of which game you want to prove youself in more, do you wana prove that you can beat pp, hbox, armada, mango (cause you've had hella close sets in the past) or do you wanna prove that u can get top 3 at Brawl (Apex)

Essentially its melee singles or brawl singles...of course that's up to u if you're gonna enter both singles events. Personally, I wanna see u do well in melee singles cause i know can still win, whether its with marth/sheik/fox. You've still got it.

If you don't mind my asking, what was you're mindset like back in 2007-eaarly 2008 when you were the best melee player. I feel like if you could recapture that then you'd be much better for it.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
But teams are on friday...

It'll probably be fairly simple for you to win Melee TEAMS

Brawl will be your only challenge.

Singles you have a habit of losing match and getting discouraged. You seem to be lacking a comeback factor whenever u think your going to lose(SKTAR when you faced ANTI & Japan tourney when you faced Masha)

Your only legitimate losses were to Earth and Otori in Japan

In singles stop beating yourself up. You've destroyed DEHF in the past. THere isn't a single Falco that can stop you. Pit on the other hand seems to be your new Olimar

strawhats

Smash Master
honestly jason, i dont think you have a falco problem, you can beat DEHF, and your **** poor mindset cost you the match against Masha after he called u out on that ruleset bs (SRT) otherwise you were beating him.

As for pit...ask someone for advice, cause that is probably your brawl equivalent of falco/jiggz right now. Sorry i dont know much about your brawl problems(above post suggestsyou've had problems with olimar in the past but are now over them from what i understand, i think i heard u used to lose to Diddy as wel but not anymore)...just a melee fan of yours that would like to see u win one more time.

How do you think you'd do v Abadango's wario/Ganbaranai's pikachu?

strawhats

Smash Master
Yeah...Armada, Mango, PP, and Hbox (not to mention Wobbles/Fly) could probably take m2k out. Vice versa he could also beat them as he's had tight sets with all of these players in the past. (not so sure about fly since I've never seen a set between these two. Also m2k kinda sucks vs ICs, especially with marth which makes me sad)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
then its a decision of which game you want to prove youself in more, do you wana prove that you can beat pp, hbox, armada, mango (cause you've had hella close sets in the past) or do you wanna prove that u can get top 3 at Brawl (Apex)

Essentially its melee singles or brawl singles...of course that's up to u if you're gonna enter both singles events. Personally, I wanna see u do well in melee singles cause i know can still win, whether its with marth/sheik/fox. You've still got it.

If you don't mind my asking, what was you're mindset like back in 2007-eaarly 2008 when you were the best melee player. I feel like if you could recapture that then you'd be much better for it.
I believe I can be the best at any game, because when I fully concentrated on Melee [Marth] in 2007, I was able to do amazing things the same 10 month time period like 4 stocking azen, 3-4 stocking chillin, 3 stocking chu 4 times, 3 stocking ken 3 times, 3 and 4 stocking taj (oc3), 3 stock low %ing PC first match of GF at FCD GF in like 1 min 5 sec (they lost all the vids sadly so it is hard for people to take me seriously when I tell them that I think i was better before with marth than now by far), 3 stock mango's puff, I was able to like 3-4 stock everyone. (I used to be incredible vs ICs with marth, like i 3 stock low %ed chu in a tourney match at OC3 but they ****ing never put up the videos of all of my good stuff so people do not take me seriously when I tell them that. My marth is a ****ing joke compared to what it used to be in most MUs in my opinion).

My mindset was hit them and 0-death, and I had good controllers and constant practice and TONS of motivation back then. I'm nothing like that now, because I'm getting older, more discouraged, and just want something new already. not much I can do about lack of motivation even though this is clearly something i deserve (to lose) because I am not practicing ever I just attend tourneys and play all day there on most weekends.

I also tried to read/predict the future and cover their options. I wanted to cover all the options. If i cover all their options, I can kill them but they won't even be able to hit me.

So I suppose 0-deaths, not getting hit myself by having good spacing, and covering their options was my mindset.

In brawl 2010, i even sat down to play friendlies with all 3 of WC's best MKs, tyrant/havok/dsf, and I actually 3 stocked all 3 of them in a row, won 2 stock 50% vs larry (and he was the 2nd hardest person to ally i played in that bracket) and 3 stocked like all of the florida players I played in the bracket, and only dropped games to ally. I won 3 mlgs in a row. I was just dominating everyone, but when I got banned from dallas, my passion for brawl died greatly, and then the relationship with my ex-gf that happened right after mlg dallas ended coincidentally... i don't want to talk about that but she turned me into a very sad, pessimistic, super-depressed person because of her terrible actions all the time.

I played 3 hours a day on avg for 2 weeks and got lucky enough to find a really good controller back then. It was purple and i still have it and I won gen2 with it but it's far worse than it was back during MLG Orlando. To be honest I got really lucky. It was a combination of a lot of luck and a lot of practice and skill, i had all 3 so that is why I was so dominant in that time period (I believe mlg orlando/columbus/raleigh was my prime since my controller and mindset were both perfect).

Because I was able to do this at 1 point and it was due to completely focusing on one game, this is why I have faith in my ability, because I've proven to myself that i know what I'm capable of. Unless melee and brawl are at different times, my chances are basically 0 (I also think I was better at both smash games about 2 years ago than right now [outside of not knowing olimar/diddy MUs as well] but this is because I barely play anymore) of ever winning an apex for any game unless it's teams, which makes me sad that teams never has a pot bonus but singles does. It's not worth dropping out of brawl since I am with ally and it's not worth dropping out of melee since I'm with armada, making me already warmed up in both games (and i have free entry to both games cuz of events won prior to this like rom5 and nec). I have thought about this a lot, so I have reason to believe in my ability but also reason to believe that odds are greatly stacked against me for trying to attempt to be a jack/master of all trades in terms of smash bros.

and yeah I get discouraged but I seriously was not like this before being banned from MLG Dallas and having all that girlfriend trouble in late November 2010, 25 months ago. My view of life became very bad, my motivation for like... everything... just vanished. Even now I just want smash 4 to come out or to get a long-term job. My step-dad is always telling me to get a real job and work experience but I don't want to do some 7/hr shoprite job and Idk how to get anything else. I get too depressed over everything lately, both inside and outside of smash. I have personal problems that hold me back a lot in both smash and life; i believe it stems from depression for w/e reason.

strawhats

Smash Master
yeah, you're marths neutral game and punishment game was ****ing God like back in the day man...I wish we could see your marth as it was then(with some new **** from today of course) vs top players like PP, Hbox, Axe, Shroomed, KK, Fly/Wobbles...pretty much everyone(aka I miss your marth). Your marth is/was THE FINAL BOSS man...you ever wonder why even those who don't care for u as a person actually respect your skill. Its because of your marth imo (partly your fox too but your marth I feel was what pushed u into new heights of respect and skill. It was like watching one of the 7 natural wonders of the world.)

Never be afraid to give it your all man. Just go ham at Apex with no regrets and **** **** up.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I think 2 things ruined me in melee
1) Brawl
2) The day after SuperChampCombo, my bag with my best 2 controllers was stolen, (along with 500 dollars), this made me pretty much want to quit but I entered pound3 anyway with some ****ty controllers and ***** everyone cept mango somehow even tho i got really sad when i lost the set from some forward B suicides.
http://www.myspace.com/mew2king/blog

Scroll through that, I had it documented

I had terrible luck w/ vids being deleted or things being stolen, or not being paid what I won and loans not being returned

since then, it's only gotten far far worse.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Nietono won't be going. Wonder if the other Olimars can get top 8 though. Rich Brown and Dabuz got close last time with 9th and 13th respectively.

Rain and M2K need to show what they can really do for once. They have the skills to win Apex.

strawhats

Smash Master
I think 2 things ruined me in melee
1) Brawl
2) The day after SuperChampCombo, my bag with my best 2 controllers was stolen, (along with 500 dollars), this made me pretty much want to quit but I entered pound3 anyway with some ****ty controllers and ***** everyone cept mango somehow even tho i got really sad when i lost the set from some forward B suicides.
http://www.myspace.com/mew2king/blog

Scroll through that, I had it documented

I had terrible luck w/ vids being deleted or things being stolen, or not being paid what I won and loans not being returned

since then, it's only gotten far far worse.
your marth was looking pure as **** in that first set against mango on BF at Pound 3...what happened in the second set on PS(other than mango's raw adaptation skills)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Yeah man I mean I would be a lot more motivated Keitaro (or less discouraged) if I didn't do so horrible last time and try to play both games together. I feel I'll do far below my actual ability at apex cuz of that, but I feel I did so good at mlg cuz I was only playing brawl and not melee for months on end.

the problem is while I have a good belief in my ability while playing good in both games strawhat, I never think I'll win. Even before each MLG during my prime in brawl i said i would lose each 1. I don't like being hyped up. My marth especially gets nervous easily which is why I don't main him anymore. I barely ever choke with sheik compared to marth. Marth's so.... all-or-nothing. I could JV 5 stock people or I could lose, often, cuz he's so glass cannon and his stuff is only broken if you're perfect. I lost perfection when I made the decision to play both games.

My goal is to be the best at smash 4. I really hope I like smash 4. I'm going to try really hard to become the best at that I'll say that right now (if they don't mess the game up). I don't really have fun in these games anymore because I've been to too many tournaments. I have the most fun on teams/FFA/goofy-stages/items in melee/brawl now, not singles gameplay.

Keitaro - I have been proving myself all year and all of 08/09/10/11, but people only like to care when I lose. No one cares when I win or top2 at a bagillion events they only care that i did bad at apex/sktar, and lost to earth. That counts to them far more than anything else, so anything good I do is overshadowed and only my worst-performances are counted or remembered. I guess this is the price for winning a lot; you become the bad guy for some reason. I lost most of my motivation and enjoyment out of competitive smash, but I won't quit because 1) money 2) I'm already good at it and it'd be stupid to stop now 3) what else would I do? 4) when the crowd wants me to win I try extra hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcVkxA1gVvU / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYFjtDPSbdw#t=4m6s

it just gives me more motivation when normally i find it hard to want to care (like I do not even want to buy a wii it's been 2 1/2 years since I've had one).

I still think melee is the best game of all time and I had a lot of fun playing with vinnie after SKTAR on custom stages and items with mikeneko and a bunch of others, it was by far the most fun I ever had with brawl. Competitive brawl is just lame nowadays, to me. (But I am biased cuz I am sick of it and strongly lack motivation compared to like 2 years ago for instance). It is hard to have motivation in these situations. I am surprised I still do as well as I do at 90% of tournaments with just showing up to them and hoping for the best against EC's best players.

strawhats

Smash Master
Smash 4 will probably be something more like brawl, but i hope u become the best in that.

also do you think it was not only the fact that you moved on to brawl for a while, lost motivation for melee but that

people just improved...or do you think the metagame hasn't changed so much from when u were the best.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I believe I got worse and they got better. (for melee and brawl both).

I am talking about my Melee-Marth and Brawl-MetaKnight. 07 was my marth's best, 10' was my MK's best. Don't base off videos but if you would, use MLG Chicago/Orlando as the best examples (ally was the only person at mlg to take games off me in the first two mlgs, and i almost went 3-0 vs everyone at mlg raleigh except lee martin's toon link beat me a game which was hilarious but i won all 6 in mk dittos). Nothing for melee is good except I suppose game 1 of me vs mango from SCC of my marth and me vs Crazy Return. But almost all the tournaments weren't recorded and I think I was much better than those videos, because I used to JV 5 stock a ton of good players (at Evo West I JV 5 stocked a samus, 450% to 0, in the bracket. I used to do this type of **** very often back then but I never wanted to be recorded because I used to get nervous when recorded and play much worse, which now I obviously regret but I had stupid logic back then).

I have a powerful Sheik now in addition even though I believe both marth/sheik get scraped by falco they can both fight fox pretty evenly imo (my sheik can 2-3 stock EVERy top fox. Javi/jman/mango/unknown at least i've done it in friendlies and/or tourney all in past 10 months and consider that mango beats me 70% of fox dittos when he's fully warmed up and I think that says something about sheik being underrated vs fox, but I still feel she's hopeless vs falco unless I play much better than the falco).

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
My goal is to be the best at smash 4. I really hope I like smash 4. I'm going to try really hard to become the best at that I'll say that right now (if they don't mess the game up). I don't really have fun in these games anymore because I've been to too many tournaments. I have the most fun on teams/FFA/goofy-stages/items in melee/brawl now, not singles gameplay.
Who doesnt have that goal :D :p

Btw., even though I like reading this, this sadly is the wrong thread for that XDDDD

@Keitaro: Still no thread

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Yeah that's the thing. Your results show that you can beat everyone but you tend to not do as well as expected at Nationals. This might be the change up.

@ Akuma: Orion was supposed to make something dealing with all OOC players but I dunno what happened with that :(

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
k ill stop posting then, just don't delete my current posts cuz it took a long time to write them.
I guess you could create a new thread for that XD? Dunno... I think there are quite a lot people who like reading stuff like that :D
I personally dont mind, if you keep up spamming this thread with your personal biography, but I guess, thats not the case for everyone x)

@Keitaro: Just do it yourself already XD!
Otherwise, I could do it as well if you tell me all the players you know of, especially Japan ^^
European people I already know of :)

chriscapnz

Smash Apprentice
wheres the wolf videos?=) i personally beleive wolf's ledge game is by far the best. So many options, not a lot of land lag. He just falls into chain grabs so well

:phone:

Top Bottom