• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've been thinking a lot....

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm just unsure about what to do with my Smash career. I've been maining Yoshi for over a year, and while I have improved with him during that time period, it is never enough. I always seem to fall just short. I've never even won a real tourney, and although I pretty much consistently place in the top 10, I rarely place in the top 5 and almost never place top 3.

I want to be recognized. I want to be respected. That's the main reason why I compete in tournaments. However, with Yoshi I fear that this is becoming more of an impossibility. It's always an uphill battle with him, since almost no one plays as characters he is advantaged towards. You guys should know. You beat me most of the time. Sometimes it's close, sometimes not. But I'm sure you all felt that it was an easier win than usual.

Why do I main Yoshi in the first place? It was not because he was my favorite character (Luigi is, actually. I don't main him because I just don't feel right with him.), but when I first played as him I felt this connection and knew that I could do well with him. However, as time went on, I felt this connection weaken more and more. At this rate, I feel that I'll never achieve my goal with Yoshi. I'm beginning to lose faith in him.

So, I'm basically at an impasse. Continue playing as Yoshi and hope that I can actually do well with him, or play as another character I like that just happens to be high-tier (Diddy). It's such a difficult decision because I've been playing as him for so long. Maybe the next tournament I go to will decide what course of action I'm going to take.

(As I finish typing this, my computer plays the theme for RE: Outbreak. How appropriate for my mood...)

(No Bellsprout this time)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The thing is, the reason for this conflict is not just winning. If it was only that, then I would definitely drop Yoshi.

It's really all that experience I gained with him over the past 17 months. I've learned the ins-and-outs of Yoshi, put in many hours to practice ATs, examined his frame data to see which moves can best punish others, and learned the match-ups. I can't even fathom how I can willingly give up all of that and start anew. It's such a difficult choice.

EDIT: Now, I could double main both him and Diddy, but then I wouldn't be giving my all with either character. At best, Yoshi would simply become a secondary if I do decide to switch to Diddy.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, do you want to be recognized for doing well in general, or for doing well with Yoshi specifically? Do you want to do well to be acknowledged by your peers, or for monetary gain? In both cases, the aptness of these parameters is relative. If you want to do well with Yoshi, the most you should hope for is recognition by your peers, but if you want to do well with Diddy, recognition by your peers will also bring along money, usually. If you don't care for the money, but just want people to notice you for what you can do with an unviable character, going with Yoshi will be just as much work as Diddy in the long run. Whereas if you want the money, you should go with Diddy.

The thing you should come to terms with is that you will never win with Yoshi as long as your competition is equally good as you and plays better characters. Diddy will give you more of a chance. Doing well will mean exceeding expectations, and even if you pick up Diddy, that will mean exceeding them by consistently beating everyone, including people perceived as better than you. That is what you have to keep in mind if you play Diddy: the bar for "acceptable performance" will be raised.

As far as whether you want to make money, if you do, then you should pick the character that gives you the best chance. Either way, though, getting better is an absolute must, even when you're the best, and the only way to do that comes down to one thing:

Stack it up.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Use yoshi as much as you can but if you have trouble with a certain matchup/person then cp them with a different chacrter.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yoshi is broken, if you lose with him you suck.
^that's how I get hyped when playing Luigi

When I'm reaaaaaally disappointed, I play my second for a couple days, who do you second ?

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Just pick up an alternate character for your bad match ups. You can still keep Yoshi, no reason to completely drop a character

DFEAR

Smash Hero
play blazblue lol

or playz teh diddy. but i will tell u this now. youll just be ANOTHER diddy player :\ and not the ONLY yoshi...i consider u unique for the fact ur the only one down here who plays yoshi.

rhan

Smash Hero
If you wanna win, play better characters. Or characters that counter your mains weakness.

TheLake

Smash Master
O_o

Your automaticlly the man for picking yoshi

Just do cool stuff

Change your style depending on the color yoshi you are

Yoshis all about the color

Just keep changing colors!

Unless your color blind...then your options are lacking a bit

but you still have so many colors!

DO IT YOU'll LOVE IT!

....I still think your awsome and all I know is you main yoshi (:

Renth

Smash Hero
DELETED!!

Hi my name is Renth and i'm a whiny *** who's still upset that brawl is more popular than melee and i let it effect me on a daily basis. [/cry]

DC

Smash Cadet
Polt.

Brawl sucks.

You can't win if you play Yoshi, Kirby, Ike, etc etc

Play a better character or quit.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Use yoshi as much as you can but if you have trouble with a certain matchup/person then cp them with a different chacrter.
Just pick up an alternate character for your bad match ups. You can still keep Yoshi, no reason to completely drop a character
The problem with that is... almost ALL of my match-ups are bad match-ups. Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, and some other common characters are all bad match-ups, and the rest are either even match-ups or no one plays those characters. Heck, the only high-tier character that I'm sure Yoshi is advantaged against is R.O.B. Basically, going to Diddy would make almost every match-up much easier, making Yoshi useless as a result (unless I encounter a PT or a Sonic or something like that).

Play metaknight.
Yeah polter, yoshi is cute, but MK is too goodz. I quit diddy for mk a while ago back.
Uh... no. Meta Knight is extremely boring for me. Not only can I not play at my best unless I'm having fun with the character (like Yoshi and Diddy), but there'd be no reason to even continue with the game if I'm not enjoying myself. I don't want to play in tournaments for a game that I dislike.

play blazblue lol

or playz teh diddy. but i will tell u this now. youll just be ANOTHER diddy player :\ and not the ONLY yoshi...i consider u unique for the fact ur the only one down here who plays yoshi.
I'm not planning on being "just another Diddy." I had a feeling that someone would say something like that. I had a lot of dedication for Yoshi, and if I switch to Diddy then I'd carry over that dedication (I heard that Diddy is one of the hardest characters to play correctly, so I'm going to be doing a lot of work).

Yoshi is broken, if you lose with him you suck.
^that's how I get hyped when playing Luigi

When I'm reaaaaaally disappointed, I play my second for a couple days, who do you second ?
Well, I'm seconding a few characters, but the only other character that I may use for tournaments is Zelda/Sheik, and even that's rare. That's why I want to practice my Diddy in some seriouslies/MMs the next chance I get. I need to get a glimpse of what I can do with him.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Diddy is honestly a fantastic choice if you really need to switch to a better character.

It's gonna be a tough switch but you definitely won't regret it.

You can still keep Yoshi for MMs or something like that though lol

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, for now I'll see how Yoshi goes for me.

The thing is, this is not the first time I've considered going to Diddy. However, right when I was about to give up on Yoshi, I pull out an upset win with him and cling to him for a little longer. I doubt this kind of thing is going to last, though.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Well I used to main Ness back in the day, if someone said my name then you'd probably think "Ness player." And let me tell you I'm glad I don't play him anymore lol
:crying:

Poltergust, it sounds like the most important factor to you is having fun, so it's probably best to keep maining Yoshi. You should definitely second Diddy, though, so you gain a new character with a better chance to win and don't give up all of your Yoshi knowledge just like that.

But if losing with Yoshi is still bothering you after the next few tournaments you use him, then it isn't really about 'fun', and it could be you're just telling yourself that... In which case it would be worth your while to leave Yoshi behind for a better character.

Becoming like some low tier hero is a very difficult thing, though, so keep that in mind...

Galeon

Smash Ace
I'll tell u straight up as someone who mains a low-tier char.

If you have to make a topic to decide if you're gonna switch or not, you're not gonna do it. You haven't gotten frustrated enough. Yoshi's not competitive, even if you do well with him. If you do get to a point where you decide that money is what's important to you in this game, you'll switch.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I didnt read any other posts but the first so...

Yo, Luigi is almost good enough to main fully.

Yoshi isnt. You need to counterpick. Your the FL Yoshi. But have your TL, Luigi, or Zelda feared...Or your diddy.

Use your Yoshi for your good match ups. You gotta do it bro

DFEAR

Smash Hero
T.T took me a while to figure it out...in the end i decided to drop the game but stay for the community >_<

Rayku

Smash Lord
BigLou seconds Snake to fight his bad matchups

And he uses anonymous other characters in the off chance that Luigi simply will not work.

I second Ike for Lucario so that I can fight opposing Lucarios in the ditto matchup. For some reason I feel comfortable that way.

I feel it is a good idea to have a very solid secondary, but always start your games with Yoshi and counterpick accordingly.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
"How was the tourny?"

"It was good. I got third. Heh."

"Fight anyone good?"

"Yeah the usual top 5...but there was this Yoshi. He was incredible. He almost took a match off my ROB, last stock high percent, so I had to counterpick meta for the win. I mean, he got 13th, but man, was he the best Yoshi I ever played."

If you want to make money, invest in yourself and get a part-time job. You'll be making money on your A, B, or C game.

There's so many more characters in this game than melee, you'll find a bond one day.
Galeon speaks truth.

DC

Smash Cadet
If you play Yoshi you'll never win a tournament... I promise you.

I realized the same thing with Kirby. Brawl isn't one of those games where all the characters can win... it isn't even a game where most of the characters can win.

Switch to Meta Knight, be "bored" while playing him and eventually start to place higher. This is also possible to a lesser extent with Snake, and to a VERY smaller extent with Dedede and Diddy. At the end of the day though once you lose your first match with Snake/D3/Diddy you're either going to
A. CP Meta Knight
B. Stay the same character and lose the set

Everybody does it... Seibrik, Chaz etc etc, even random bad players like FlatSoda randomly CPs Meta Knight when he loses with Peach.

It's a joke but you have to realize you're playing for money not for fun. If you're just playing for fun then you wouldn't be making this topic.

tl;dr - Just save yourself the wasted time learning extra characters and just play Meta Knight... or quit Brawl.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If you play Yoshi you'll never win a tournament... I promise you.

I realized the same thing with Kirby. Brawl isn't one of those games where all the characters can win... it isn't even a game where most of the characters can win.

Switch to Meta Knight, be "bored" while playing him and eventually start to place higher. This is also possible to a lesser extent with Snake, and to a VERY smaller extent with Dedede and Diddy. At the end of the day though once you lose your first match with Snake/D3/Diddy you're either going to
A. CP Meta Knight
B. Stay the same character and lose the set

Everybody does it... Seibrik, Chaz etc etc, even random bad players like FlatSoda randomly CPs Meta Knight when he loses with Peach.

It's a joke but you have to realize you're playing for money not for fun. If you're just playing for fun then you wouldn't be making this topic.

tl;dr - Just save yourself the wasted time learning extra characters and just play Meta Knight... or quit Brawl.
At first I

Then I

Then I got high

Get *****.

Top Bottom