• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"IT'S UP TIEM!" The Dayton, OH social, strategical, and sometimes empty thread

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
actually for me its not ~6 hours its only like 3 since i have classes, and its not that i dont like melee I get frustrated because its new to me and i was still pissed off from the last time i played where i couldnt do anything at all even though the time before that I could. I just dont get to brawl anywhere near as much as i used to so id rather spend time doing something i can actually get somewhere with than doing something that ill never be able to catch up with really good people. Ill still play it from time to time because it can be fun and others wanna play it too. Plus it was mostly how the game was switched in the 5 min i was gone that pissed me off and made me not wanna play, even though i had only been there for like 15. Had i had known i prolly would have joined in

theres also another new smasher guy that wants to start showing up on mondays
information where we play is in the OP

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Fizzle...Have I gone against you...?
Nope. The only reason I recognize your name is from your youtube page. Nobody here even knew I existed until last October when I picked up competitive brawl. So, if I haven't seen you in the last 6 months, we've not met.

For the combo video (I hope this is really happening) we can us my game against Champ in crews (on RipNsleep's youtube) and there's probably a few good clips in the Scribbs vs OS series.

We've gotta take some practice games seriously from time to time; I want to improve a few characters some more. I second the 2 setup motion!

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
We've gotta take some practice games seriously from time to time; I want to improve a few characters some more. I second the 2 setup motion!

lol unless we're doing teams where the team I'm on is muuuuuch better than the other, I try to take pretty much all games we do seriously. I'm just not as good as you guys (yet) >.>

Thus far I'm happy with Marf, so *hopefully* I'll stick with and get good with him. He can approach! No more running away and throwing things until I get bored!

wakka444

Smash Ace
lol whenever you guys get together again ill just show up anyways im happy with where im at in both games except brawl+ for some reason...it just feels off to me oh well lolol

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
yea i was pretty much half asleep (literally) when i went to class i was OUT. luckily for me i didnt have to do anything since it was during presentations and i wasnt a spokes person
also i have a job interview tomorrow at 9:30 depending on when i get out i may or maynot be late. but rest assured ill be there and it wont be past 12:00 or 1

@wakka did you play 4.0 at c4? if not then the new versions are awesome. just takes some getting used to.

well ill set up brawl EX on my sd card when i get a chance so we can record more replays that i can eventually dazzle for the video

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Err... that Samus didn't really do anything impressive. Could be better than I am, but it's impossible to tell from that video. Samus *can* combo (although a lot of those combos were just abusing the fact the opponents didn't know what they were doing), that much I knew. She can do a lot of stuff that wasn't shown in that video. There's other, muuuuch better videos of Samus doing impressive stuff I can link you to if you'd like, but I'm sure you can poke around the Samus part of the forums yourself.

Honestly a lot of the "combos" in that video were just abusing the fact the opponents suck. Can't tech or DI or read etc etc. Based on that video alone I'd say we could take them in a crew battle... not impressed |:

wakka444

Smash Ace
skribs i had the newest version and put it on my wii after c4 so im almost certain its the newest, it feels to heavy and limits my actios mainly offstage but idk maybe thats just me being bad, but i nvr struggle offstage in melee so still idk xD

combo vids are have nvr been about both players playing at the highest levels but rather punishing mistakes, being entertaining, and showing how cool your character is when given the opportunity and entertaining =P i get sooooo bored watching average 1vs bc its not entertaining for me= /

anything tomorrow?!? would like to join you guys before this weekend for wings and brew ^^

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
tomorrow from 11-5:30

im either gonna be late or early, it depends on what happens at my interview (my guess will be early)
also OP has info on meetups

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nope. The only reason I recognize your name is from your youtube page. Nobody here even knew I existed until last October when I picked up competitive brawl. So, if I haven't seen you in the last 6 months, we've not met.

For the combo video (I hope this is really happening) we can us my game against Champ in crews (on RipNsleep's youtube) and there's probably a few good clips in the Scribbs vs OS series.
Heh, then you suddenly burst into the smash community, being known as the... ahem... *breaks into song* THE VERY BEST! THAT THERE EVER WAS!

(I'm still amazed by that pokemon battle. You should put clips from that if it ever gets uploaded in the video.)

From what I've seen snake dittos are boring. Just stand away from each other tossing 'nades and shielding nades. Occasionally someone somehow gets up close and it's a tiltfest, but if that doesn't end in a KO it's back to nades nades nades.

As of right now I'm still not sure who I want to main in Brawl -.- Today is more experimentation with various characters maybe. People have been giving me a lot of **** about considering MK, so I'm looking at others right now. Marth probably. With Closui's help I think I've gotten a better idea of how he goes, and I don't have to worry about bad matchups except fscking MK. Maybe second MK, and MK to take out MK.
My bad. I gave you **** for it because I thought you were just trying to be a tier ***** for more wins, when in reality, picking up MK right now based on tier list is a terrible idea, since everyone knows that matchup. If you enjoy him though, then that's a different story.

Err... that Samus didn't really do anything impressive. Could be better than I am, but it's impossible to tell from that video. Samus *can* combo (although a lot of those combos were just abusing the fact the opponents didn't know what they were doing), that much I knew. She can do a lot of stuff that wasn't shown in that video. There's other, muuuuch better videos of Samus doing impressive stuff I can link you to if you'd like, but I'm sure you can poke around the Samus part of the forums yourself.

Honestly a lot of the "combos" in that video were just abusing the fact the opponents suck. Can't tech or DI or read etc etc. Based on that video alone I'd say we could take them in a crew battle... not impressed |:
Heh, that's what combo videos are most of the time: People doing awesome stuff to people not good enough to know how to get out of it.

lol unless we're doing teams where the team I'm on is muuuuuch better than the other, I try to take pretty much all games we do seriously. I'm just not as good as you guys (yet) >.>

Thus far I'm happy with Marf, so *hopefully* I'll stick with and get good with him. He can approach! No more running away and throwing things until I get bored!
**** YOU! **** YOU WITH A RAKE YOU MARTH LOVING LETTUCE ****ER!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh, Scribz, I don't know if you noticed, but at least one of your matches vs OS is up.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
lol sorry fromunbananaman but I think I'ma stick wiff Marf. I like his game - mostly spacing and reading. He can be aggressive quite effectively, unlike previous attempted mains. His only real downside as I see right now is that he's easily gimpable.

His combos kinda, iuno, echo what they were in Melee. I got a falling upair -> bair -> fair -> grab -> fthrow -> fair -> fair -> fair -> death today, how badass is that? It's saved, hopefully we can incorporate it into Fizz's combo video project.

Even his worst matchup, MK, seems to be doable if I read and space properly. Although Skrible hasn't been at his best lately so I may not be getting a good glimpse of how the match up should go. Like right now I have no idea how to deal with the tornado.

Since I'm so new with him I still have a way to go before I can challenge Fizzle or Scribble, but I overtook the rest of Dayton (who showed up, anyways) with Marf pretty fast. Just gotta keep it up. If Scribs continues to fail at sleeping, I may even overtake him in the not to terribly distance future :D

Bottom line: During smash today I was actually enjoying Brawl, not wishing in the back of my mind that we were playing Melee.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
lol dolphin slash > tornado

hahahahaha i do need to sleep. im sure when i beat super metroid redesign ill get sleep. i used a super awesome pro technique (one that i developed) to get screw attack very early so im gonna get through it by next week prolly.

i managed to get spurts of seriosness today and got some good replays after you left para, and i had a super awesome comeback against fizz luc where i died first and then killed myself at 14% but came back and won with super pro gimps and metaknighty shenanigans lol

clowsui

Smash Legend
marth is fun =)

just up angle shield vs. tornado, if they don't retreat up b...or if they just retreat and remain at tornado's edge-length just don't roll, spotdodge or anything or even up b...just let it eat your shield. i've never seen tornado break shield so just accept the damage and then resume playing defensive to refresh shield
if they float the bottom of the tornado above you just DS, you'll trade but he'll be out of tornado + chances are he'll accidentally buffer a drill rush
if you have enough room dash away and shield
if you predict it use SB, it'll beat out tornado + shieldbreaker is just super sexy

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Ive broken shields with tornado quite often. if i dont move it any they angle their shield up it will always break if the nado holds out long enough. if i move around it will poke. Its NEVER a good idea to tornado from far away, typically ill only use it against marth to punish something if i have no better options. there is some instances where DS can hit me when you are in the tornado. ive had a mario do this to me with SJP. you just need to be in the bottom corner of the nado and time it.

if i dont have to work or something ill know soon. ill prolly bring a friend with me too if i go, but he doesnt really play smash much

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
i got a job interview tomorrow at 2 then depeneding on when i get out will dictate whether i can be there or not. its my 3rd interview and possibly a drug test so idk if that will take long im guessing i can be there at like 3.30 at the earliest but if you do go i WILL show up at some point

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Then we'll pass and just go with the normal Monday and Wednesday. If I was to smash tomorrow I'd have to wait from like 11:00 until 3:30 - four point five hours of down time is a bit much for me. I'll hold off until Monday, somehow.

Wakka misread my post and was considering joining us tomorrow. Tomorrow's out, but maybe he'll join in later. We can show the 'field what smash is like on *our* turf.

...by taking them to stages like FD and Norfair where they will be blind!

wakka444

Smash Ace
BWAHAHAHA we have tournaments to prove what characters best on each stage ESPECIALLY norfair XD

itll be fun when i do find the motivation to actually go LOL

Paradigm

Smash Ace
lol Wakka you have no idea what it's like to smash in Dayton. For instance, you'd have thunk Snake would be at a disadvantage on norfair? How about INVISIBLE GRENADES. Also invisible G&W and several other invisible goodies because our TV is what can best be described as dumb.

wakka444

Smash Ace
OH LOL
(springfield does not think snake is bad on that stage but i understand whats necessary to make your point=P)

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I didn't know you were an honorary CoK member....until I found out. Neat. Oh, and I just wanted to vow that I will destroy everyone in 2009! Because I will.

To Do List:1. Get better at SSBB+SSBM?
2. Find someone to team with consistently
3. Destroy Everyone

Paradigm

Smash Ace
That's what you'll be saying when you're destroyed....in 2009!(I didn't think anyone would get that Ma Jae Yoon reference ->)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzDlUVYlB4&feature=related
I've been a Savior fan for quite some time and I recognized that quite right away. I'm still a fan despite his semi-recent downfall from being the best of the best. If anyone can make a comeback, it's him. I'm hoping he takes gom classic this time around. Last time the maps were heavily 'toss biased, but the tweaks since them seem to have helped. He's had some awesome games so far in 2009 (despite the map imbalances) - didn't quite live up to his word and destroy EVERYONE, but he's not that far short of it either. Much improved from 2008. 2009 is the year of the Maestro!

Where'd you hear that I'm honorary COK? It's been so long away from C-bus I'm glad it's still official :D I used to Melee with them quite a bit... I was better back then. I hope to pick that up again in the fall if they're still there and active.

Top Bottom