• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is snake really broken?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Yeah Akuma is the most broken thing there is, but hey it's freakin Akuma so some on. Besides we're talking about Shin Akuma aren't we? I thought regular Akuma was okay. Anyways, right now MK isn't bad enough to ban I don't geuss.

Who knows though if a new tech comes out similar to wavedashing or who knows what, Meta Knight could either become better or worse. The MK fans better hope he becomes worse, because if he does become better then he'll certainly start getting bans.

Hate Sakurai some more, he wasn't so ignorant that he could not tell MK was way above the other characters. I think it's safe to assume that he wanted his baby to be the best.
Regular Akuma is banned for Super Street fighter 2 Turbo.

That's all pretty obvious I mean, Kirby got a nice buff, Dedede and Metaknight are retardedly good...and you know I swear I think he nerfed Jiggz because she resembled Kirby too much. Honestly I don't believe a true new Wavedash will ever be discovered which is all for the better at this point. It would make Chain Grabs ridiculously better than they already are.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I doubt wavedashing itself will be rediscovered, but something just as important still may. Melee is a whole different game before wavedashing comes into play, hell it can be a way different game without shieldgrabbing!
Who knows, in half a year the entire tier list could be turned upside down thanks to one or two new general techniques that redefine everything.

Not likely though. Also I hate Jigglypuff, I want Mewtwo back. =(

jalued

Smash Lord
i persinally do think that snake is broken as soon s you can use him. i'm posted a list of all the strengths and weaknesses i can find about snkae, and the strengths are almost 3x as many as the weaknesses.

snake has 13!!! kill moves before the opponent hits 150%...i mean, thats rediculous, leave some for another character plz

anyway, check it out, add to it, find faults with it. all in the gd name of improving ourselves

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180154

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
A lot of your strengths and weaknesses contradict each other. You say he has a good recovery but then list like 3 weaknesses for his recovery.

Z0mg 13 kill moves? Want to actually test those on Mario in the center of FD please and give us some real info?

How many kill moves does Ike have? Bowser? DK? Mr. GAW? Ganondorf? Charizard? D3?
What about super gimp killers like Meta Knight and ROB?

Snake's power doesn't contribute to the reason he's so good. It's the variety of different attacks and tactics he has and the messed up range on his tilts. His tilts are broken. Everything else is balanced with lag, slow movement, and weakness against certain tactics. And the fact that his recovery IS NOT THAT GOOD AT ALL.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
OK, listen. That last part of your post was probably one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Who cares if he beats you? I didn't even have melee for five years and I still beat my friend all the time. I used to play Ganondorf and the only time I could play was when I was over his house. I didn't even play frequently. You don't have to be bad just because you haven't played much. I'm just better at games, I guess. I was more familiar to control and speed because of past experience with controllers.
Generally when someone doesn't have the game they won't be as good as someone who does have the game, of course there are exceptions, but he is not one. He doesn't dodge much, he doesn't actually play snake all that well (I've seen and played good snakes, he sucks), he has no knowledge of simple smash concepts like DIing or shield grabbing, and the list goes on... He sucks and snake is the only reason he wins period.
Oh hey, I have an idea...why don't you use different tactics to face the Snake. Find your own way of countering him. Do some research! Do something! I HATE seeing this type of mentality in people's posts.
Just because I complain doesn't mean I'm not doing something about it. I actually think I can beat him at this point after practicing against an exceptional snake for a while.
He's only unbalanced in YOUR mind. I guarantee that if you just practice and think of a way to fight him rather than complaining all of the time, you can beat anyone. People only believe in this crap because they aren't trying enough.
Ummmm no. He is actually unbalanced. If beat the best snake in the world with falcon doesn't mean he's not unbalanced it just means I was trying harder. The very fact that they have to try harder that normal suggests that snake is better than most chars at least.

viparagon

Smash Ace
snake isn't broken per se, he' just the best. He doesn't seem to have any big weaknesses, and he has the most kill moves. (all his moves can kill except for three throws

Ace76

Smash Cadet
The 3rd heavist character in the game, yet he's not even large. Foward Tilt has the range of a character with a weapon, the power of a smash, and the speed of a jab. Up tilt hits on both sides has good range above snakes head and kills most characters around 100%. Out of all the heavy characters i'd say he has the best recovery. Meh thats not really broken is it? :laugh: It seems like some people here are biased. I main MetaKnight, and Snake. I'll admit both of them are highly overpowered. Yes its different from broken, but it seems like some people are trying to convince others that Snake is just a normal character.

SleeplessInKyoto

Smash Apprentice
Snake is not broken. His recovery sucks, he can be juggled in the air easily, his grenades thrown back at him, nikita has a small recovery time for cancelling, his aerials plain suck, and his forward smash has a tiiiiny hitbox.

People just cant think of ways to counter snake. I'd say the people who are the most able to beat snake are the snake players themselves. He's a very unique character that defies most of the "run and gun" gameplay of all the others and requires careful, slow planning and strategy. Since most people do not understand this, they cant counter snake.

Give it a few months and you'll see people beating snake all over the place.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Who are people kidding. HIS TILTS ARE ****ING BS... other than that, hes still amazing. Its crap.

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
The 3rd heavist character in the game, yet he's not even large. Foward Tilt has the range of a character with a weapon, the power of a smash, and the speed of a jab. Up tilt hits on both sides has good range above snakes head and kills most characters around 100%. Out of all the heavy characters i'd say he has the best recovery. Meh thats not really broken is it? :laugh: It seems like some people here are biased. I main MetaKnight, and Snake. I'll admit both of them are highly overpowered. Yes its different from broken, but it seems like some people are trying to convince others that Snake is just a normal character.
QFT,

Snakes Ftilt does 21 damage, WTF is that! That's more than most characters smashes. It also comes out fast, In four frames! 21 damage in four frames you gotta be kidding me. On top of that it kills easily, and has huge range. His other moves aren't much better either. His Up tilt has a insane hitbox, kills easily, and snuffs most aerial approaches. Snake dashing basically negates his slow speed. His Neutral air does 30 damage! if all the kicks hit. Which DOES happen. All of his moves kill, even his back throw. He's heavy so he's hard to kill and if he recovers properly by jumping then Up+B at the tip of his jump away from the stage he will never get spiked.

I think the reason the game developers made Snake so strong was because this game was intended to be played with items. Snake is slow to pick up items so he would depend mostly on himself to knock people off the stage. Playing a game with items would balance snake out because other characters were intended to get to the items before Snake, while Snake can for the most part handle himself without the items.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason the game developers made Snake so strong was because this game was intended to be played with items. Snake is slow to pick up items so he would depend mostly on himself to knock people off the stage. Playing a game with items would balance snake out because other characters were intended to get to the items before Snake, while Snake can for the most part handle himself without the items.
Lol you pulled the item john in competitive play? Please...

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
when you get more than one person thinking snake is broken an like 20 threads about it...that should be a sign of maybe he's really broken

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
when you get more than one person thinking snake is broken an like 20 threads about it...that should be a sign of maybe he's really broken
4 pages of people bickering about whether or not Snake is broken and this thread has gone nowhere still. -__-;

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Nah, thats just a sign that people rather complain than get better, and thats coming from the MK player, one of Snake's best matchups.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
Well, let's put it this way. Every one of this moves has the ability to KO by 150%, most of them kill at the low 100s. Sure he's a *****.... but in the end what good is complaining going to do? You say "ur a no0b for using snake" and you get a response "no, u just suck" etc. etc..... Just learn to do something about it, get good with ROB or Pit, if you don't want to, well that's your fault.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
A lot of that is just Brawl innately. I was nearly beaten by someone playing Ike, having only played the game for about an hour before, and I think of myself as a pretty good smasher. Basically, in Brawl, the more skilled player still wins more often, but not as much as in Melee. While a much more skilled player in Melee might win 9/10 times, the much more skilled player in Brawl might only win 7/10 of the time. It's not just tripping.

If you absolutely must beat Snake, start playing ROB. Everyone hates a campy ROB, but everyone loves a winner.
Actually, when I saw overswarm camp Jiano in the finals, I was lovin' it. I dislike snake, and there isn't anything quite as wonderful as seeing somebody's awweesome character defeated with intellect and alot of patience. I don't think he could have beaten Jiano any other way. Does that sound broken to you? I haven't made my mind up yet, but I'd say probably.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I consider broken to mean that Snake is unbeatable no matter who uses him.

Snake is not unbeatable. Hence, not broken.

This also applies to Meta Knight and any other "broken" characters.

mangoose

Smash Rookie
Urbandictionary.com:

Broken:

(Games) A game object or facility that is too good to exist. It is so powerful that it is unbalancing and hence breaks the game. Every winning player has to use this to be competitive.
Is this happening? Not really. There are lots of snakes, but there are lots of other characters that win too.

Quit being scrubs!!! lol

Nic64

Smash Lord
Is this happening? Not really. There are lots of snakes, but there are lots of other characters that win too.

Quit being scrubs!!! lol
QFT, snake is probably the best character(I'm a bit suspicious of MK though), but best =/= broken, don't be ignorant.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd say Meta is moar broken. Snake is good against almost everyone, and so is Meta, except Meta can **** the **** out of half the roster. He's probably only lower than Snake on most tier lists because Snake's a Meta counter.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
Iono,

Snake has some of the most screwed up hitbox range I've ever seen...

Utilt, Nair, Ftilt have such incredible range... and when connected are finishers...
Bair's hitbox is his whole body... Best DAC utlity

My win % is higher because I play as Snake, when... i'm suppose to be working as Marth...

I remember the days when Marth was dubbed broken... but no he's not, he's one of the most punishable characters...

MK isn't broken
Snake has "wtf" things... I'd say he's broken, but hey I'm not a main... and for a casual snake's perspective he's pretty **** cheap

kolbie232

Smash Rookie
When you get spiked and use c4 recovery, you need to be at a lower percent to do so. If you get spiked at a higher percentage, you will most likely die. This is because the cypher takes a little bit of time to go upwards after being spiked. You are still moving in a downward direction as you start the cypher. Oh, and by the way, you don't just c4. DI, cypher as fast as possible, DI away from edge, c4 drop and make it explode without making yourself fast fall, DI toward the stage while trying to dodge a readied attack. It takes patience to get it all right and precise.

Man, that Jigglypuff must have been stupid to be hit by a fsmash. Jiggles could survive if DI is being used correctly, air dodge right after the fsmash, and multiple hits in the air to stop momentum. DDD's can kill Jigglypuff at that percentage. So can Ike. Maybe even Marth's tip of the sword. A lot of things can kill Jigglypuff at low percentages, heh. It all depends on location, I guess.

It isn't hard to maneuver around ftilt's. You must just suck at the game. I've faced people that can get around it. For example, a Ness player that I face has it down and can actually punish me for using ftilts.

The "Boost Smash", as you call it, can be easily punished if you learn to block it.

Also, don't use " u " to compensate for "you" . It makes you sound dumber than you already are. This goes with other words too.
Honestly im not complaining that snake is broken i find it funny that only snake users say that he is not broken i dont know why UUUUUUUUUUUUUU cant admit it hell i use a broken character too big deal. oh and i dont have much trouble with snakes i was just pointing out that he is in fact BROKEN.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm tired... I've seen really good people play... SKILLED... people... and Snake has one of the easiest learning curves... 'Nuff said.

As I did say I feel he is broken, I just feel like you don't need extensive work to play as him... i.e. Marth, Link... surely others who I've not dabbled in...yet... probably ever

I take back saying he's broken... but I still find the Hitboxes funny... but who cares... They are punishable, my Snake is easily punishable... but He plays much better than my Marth... of which I train, practice and actually try to improve--I'm just THAT bad as a Marth main... I guess...

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Let's settle this: Snake AND Metaknight are both broken.
How deliciously short-sighted. Have you ever been Snake vs. Donkey Kong or ROB? How about Metaknight against a good Lucario? Not so broken anymore, is it?

If they are as broken as you so claim, my good sir, then you clearly don't know about character matchups.

Go back into your room and study up on these, and don't come out until you P.M. me your apology.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
How deliciously short-sighted. Have you ever been Snake vs. Donkey Kong or ROB? How about Metaknight against a good Lucario? Not so broken anymore, is it?

If they are as broken as you so claim, my good sir, then you clearly don't know about character matchups.

Go back into your room and study up on these, and don't come out until you P.M. me your apology.
There's a lot of reasons why he shouldn't be considered broken... Again, when matched skill to skill... Snake is a bit easier to handle...

A DK must know how the match functions, ROB too, but ROB isn't that good against Snake...
Snake is the Metaknight counter...

Top Bottom