• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl more balanced than melee? **Take 2**

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This was my argument all along?
Was it?

If no one has the ability to realize the potential of a character, then the character is unviable, because it cannot be utilized properly.
No, it is not. It'd still be viable. Just because people choose not to use that character doesn't mean that character is any more or less viable. The minute someone capable picks the character up, they'd be able to place well as them (if they were anyone good with them).

Character viability is just that, character viability, not player skill. It is the theoretical human ceiling to how far a character can be taken, not how far it is currently being taken. How many Mario and Doctor Mario players do we see in Melee? Almost none.

Yet they are both quite viable.
I said if no one has the ability to realize the potential of a character, then the character is unviable. You responded that the character would still be viable, but then argued a different point about how character popularity does not affect viability. Do we agree or do we disagree?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I said if no one has the ability to realize the potential of a character, then the character is unviable. You responded that the character would still be viable, but then argued a different point about how character popularity does not affect viability. Do we agree or do we disagree?
If nobody cooks a food and thus nobody discovers that it tastes good, that doesn't mean the food doesn't taste good.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If nobody cooks a food and thus nobody discovers that it tastes good, that doesn't mean the food doesn't taste good.
Would you argue that something no one has ever tasted tastes good? Likewise, would you argue that a character that no one has refined is viable?

Simply because a character is currently unviable does not mean it will remain so in the future.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Would you argue that something no one has ever tasted tastes good? Likewise, would you argue that a character that no one has refined is viable?

Simply because a character is currently unviable does not mean it will remain so in the future.
You just contradicted your own argument within one post.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
If nobody has the ability to make the cake, you can't taste anything at all, so it doesn't really matter how "good" it tastes if you'll never even get a chance ot eat it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
And what would support your argument that Sonic's mindgames are not comparable to CF?
Mindgames are difficult to quantify, that is in its nature.

of course i agree with you on that his mindgame capability isn't on par.

As I said earlier, Sonic is capable of canceling his moves, this means he can use most of his good moves at whatever point that he wishes to use them.
His ability to move from a dash to anything afterwards allows him a large amount of potential in the mindgame department, because for other characters to attempt to replicate, would result in them being unsafe.

my argument is that sonic's mindgame potential is a result of his moves behavior. I am not arguing he has the same mindgame potential, but I am arguing that he does have more mindgame potential than most of the cast.

I would like to see Sonic's mindgame capabilities implemented into his tier positioning or matchups, but its rather difficult to explain.
Adumbrodeus make the topic cause I suck at explanations.
Well, like ambrodeus was saying to RDK, mindgame potential like Melee Falcon or Brawl Sonic can be qualified if its an ability to force mistakes and capitalize on them. I don't know enough about Sonic to do this so I won't try.

RDK

Smash Hero
Don't be stupid. You wouldn't be able to determine whether or not it tastes good because it doesn't exist. A nonexistant object can't taste good.

This has nothing to do with the discussion and you're only bringing up philosophical nonsense to make yourself look smart.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
IrArby, I noticed something in Brawl that does correspond with your low tiers being useable due to your risk/reward punishment argument thingy and I thought I should bring it up (to bring back sensible debate): The Ice Climbers.

What I noticed about them is that they have poor qualitites and have to work much harder than the top tiers, but like the Melee low tiers, when they land a move on you, they can punish you SEVERELY. Also consider the fact that they are in C tier above more than half the cast and it makes you think. Provided, it is debatable whether or not this is due to their ability to punish you to such a degree that it makes up for their major flaws to a large degree or that they are just good characters with better movesets than everyone below them and that their chaingrab shenanagains are simply icing on a cake.

I want your opinion (and hopefully others as well) on this matter that you guys never mentioned.

Smash Master
It's different because in Melee, the tops can punish you back. In Brawl, every match against the IC's is like fighting a D3 who can only grab with DK.

goodkid

Smash Lord
It's different because in Melee, the tops can punish you back. In Brawl, every match against the IC's is like fighting a D3 who can only grab with DK.
Just don't get grabbed, easier said than done, but possible. Brawl IC's have still yet to win a big big tourney, & most top-level IC's know there stuff.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yes, but once proven viable, it does not have to be proven time and time again, especially not if it's an uncommon character.

This is why tournament results are not the end-all and be-all of character viability. Because there are several viable characters who are just very uncommon.
The logic here made me smile with insight.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Don't be stupid. You wouldn't be able to determine whether or not it tastes good because it doesn't exist. A nonexistant object can't taste good.

This has nothing to do with the discussion and you're only bringing up philosophical nonsense to make yourself look smart.
Let's pretend nobody's played Brawl yet.

Does that mean MK is a bad character, simply because we haven't played him yet? Of course not. He's still a good character. We just haven't used him yet.

It has everything to do with the discussion. Pull your head out of your rectum for a second and think as opposed to dismissing everything that may help a differing viewpoint.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

Does that mean MK is a bad character, simply because we haven't played him yet? Of course not. He's still a good character. We just haven't used him yet.

It has everything to do with the discussion. Pull your head out of your rectum for a second and think as opposed to dismissing everything that may help a differing viewpoint.
Wow. I've been reading the last few pages of this thread and you're the first person to get this analogy (finally!). Congratulations! You just won the 'Smartest-person-on-the-boards' Award!

Seriously, there are many things we don't know yet and probably some we never will know. Maybe jigglypuff has the most broken tactic in the game, it just has to be discovered...

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

This is a terrible example because the thing people haven't formed an opinion on (Brawl) actually exist in its current form. The cake in the other example does not exist at all. In order for you to taste something, particles from the substance being tasted need to land on your tounge, which means it actually needs some mass in order to be made of particles at all. Last time I checked, things that don't exist don't have mass.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Wow. I've been reading the last few pages of this thread and you're the first person to get this analogy (finally!). Congratulations! You just won the 'Smartest-person-on-the-boards' Award!

Seriously, there are many things we don't know yet and probably some we never will know. Maybe jigglypuff has the most broken tactic in the game, it just has to be discovered...
At the same time, we could have tapped fully into the potential of every character.

All there is is the potential for potential. Just because a character hasn't been used much doesn't mean the character is amazing.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
C. Falcon has much more potential then people give him credit for. Is he nearly as good as he is in Melee? Hell no, but I do honestly believe that skilled players and devoted fans are quickly advancing the character above G rank.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
This is a terrible example because the thing people haven't formed an opinion on (Brawl) actually exist in its current form. The cake in the other example does not exist at all. In order for you to taste something, particles from the substance being tasted need to land on your tounge, which means it actually needs some mass in order to be made of particles at all. Last time I checked, things that don't exist don't have mass.
You're taking the metaphor the wrong way entirely, and are doing so in order to either be funny or distract from the discussion, or both.

Go away.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Gah, communications issue.

What's really here is a debate about what "tournament viable" means.

Does it mean, "does the character win tournaments reliably?" or "is the character able to win tournaments if played at it's fullest humanly possible potential?" (with the assumption for this being the top of the metagame)?

Neither side can out-debate the other until a definition can be agreed upon, and I suspect there will not be a debate when that happens.

Or you can continue pretending that both sides mean the same thing by tournament viability, it won't get you anywhere.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Tournament viability is the term which defines a character which can be used to win a tournament. The measure of tournament viability is a major tournament victory. MK could not be proven to be viable until at least one tournament occured.

The possibility exists. However, Jigglypuff will remain unviable until such a tactic is discovered and used to win a major tournament. Then, we will have proof. Until then, all discussion concerning Jigglypuff, or any character, is heresay and speculation.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Tournament viability is the term which defines a character which can be used to win a tournament. The measure of tournament viability is a major tournament victory. MK could not be proven to be viable until at least one tournament occured.
This has nothing to do with what I said, and I never debated this.

My question is this: Does the true viability of a character change (That is to say, their maximum potential) based on whether they are played or not? The answer is no, unless you mean to say that people who picked up characters like DK, Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers, and Samus later in Melee's lifetime changed the game data.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This has nothing to do with what I said, and I never debated this.

My question is this: Does the true viability of a character change (That is to say, their maximum potential) based on whether they are played or not? The answer is no, unless you mean to say that people who picked up characters like DK, Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers, and Samus later in Melee's lifetime changed the game data.
Nope, it doesn't change. But I don't agree with your definition for practical reasons.

True viability is impossible to measure, and can't be demonstrated. The only thing that can be measured is the successes and failures of the best user of a character, because any potential beyond a character's best current usage has yet to be proven. This type of understanding is also more practical than a "maximum potential" understanding, as it applies to the known viability at the current point in time (which can be used for current tournament decisions), rather than a potential viability at a future point in time.

aeghrur

Smash Champion

She can rest a ton of her opponents moves if timed well enough...
She could easily be broken actually, lol.
It's just human limitations that make her, err, not as good. :)
Think, if for, say, 70% of the hits you got, she rested you for it.
That'd suck, lol.

:093:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
True viability is impossible to measure, and can't be demonstrated. The only thing that can be measured is the successes and failures of the best user of a character, because any potential beyond a character's best current usage has yet to be proven. This type of understanding is also more practical than a "maximum potential" understanding, as it applies to the known viability at the current point in time (which can be used for current tournament decisions), rather than a potential viability at a future point in time.
Let's all main MK, Snake, and Falco and call it a day, then.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Tournament viablity, as strange as this sounds, is not determined by tournament results. Its dictated by matchups and obviously matchups occur in tournaments so bear with me. If everyone was playing the game and not playing MK he'd be unviable in tournaments by that other defintion. If a character can win, or hold their own (meaning they have a feasible chance of winning) in a significant portion of thier matchups with other characters used in tournaments then they can be considered tournament viable. As far as what exactly that "significant portion" is, I won't pretend and make up an arbitrary number of matchups but I would dare say around half or more. DK is still viable for this reason even though D3 counters him so badly. We've already discussed in detail why tournament results aren't irrevocable proof of character quality.

But talking about a character being tournament viable is ultimately going to be inconclusive since you have weird characters that can suck against characters placed 8-3 and have great matchups with the top 1 and 2 and all kinds of weird stuff like that. Once people figure out the matchups we won't need the tier list. Tournament viable is really a bad term since Azen can be tournament viable with anyone. Falcon won't ever be considered tournament viable though.

As far as the ICs go I'm not sure what exactly your asking but yes technically they don't fit the model for Brawl. However, they aren't top/high tier. They're wierd like that yes in that they can punish but they don't really since they still have lower tier attributes like bad range, priority, bad approaches, less access to their good moves, and so on. Sure they can punish, but their grab range and the other stipulations that require them to infinite limit them severely. So with the exception of the punishment thing they meet the opposite of the criteria of what I outlined for a good character. Naturally, that would be the criteria for a bad character.

Uh what does Falcon have going for him. Someone was saying he's not bad but I really disagree. He really has bad approaches especially in the air. You could argue that he's got Down or Side B but if your opponent plays like most people in Brawl do they'll shield both attacks especially Side B since it has so much startup lag. Down B has alot of post lag so I'd hardly call them safe. All his smashes are slow as well as his tilts which lack prioriy and have either pre or post lag. I'd challenge anyone to find 3 good things about him that I can't find a considerable downside to. As I've said before Brawl is Moves over Movement and he doesn't have good moves. This also factors into why Sonic will never be a great character. He may go up but I doubt it'll be significant.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I would actually argue that the answer to this question is yes based on the idea that the characters max potential is that of the best player with that character at the current time. No they did not change the games data but before those things were discovered, it was basically as if that data didnt exist anyway. So therefore, the people that took those characters past the limits they had at the time, therefore, there max potential increased at that time.

thats how i see it anyway.

Banee

Smash Cadet
Nope, it doesn't change. But I don't agree with your definition for practical reasons.

I think this is the most important post on the topic of a characters viability.

The most pertinent question is how do we know if a character is viable? The only reasonable way to achieve that is through tournament results. We can say a character is viable in theory, but we don't truly know a character is viable until it is proven so through success at a tournament. We have to go under the assumption that a character is not viable until proven otherwise.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Falcon:

1.Jab
2.Uair
3.Bair
-Jab\. Lots of other characters have much better AAA combos that don't do lame multihit things at the end which suck. His jab would still be good if the game allowed you to combo. Thats not the case and at any rate you can't run up and jab someone. Its not highly accessible especially since the range isn't great. He can't force someone to enter his jab range like Snake can since Falcon can not camp people.

-Uair\. Very low hitstun, even by Brawl standards I think simply because his Uair hitstun was condsidered low in Melee so it should be worse in Brawl unless I'm mistaken. So its combo potential is gone, which tied with the fact that Falcon's Uair was pretty much used exclusively for that and edgeguarding in Melee, I doubt it will have other better uses in Brawl seeing as he's pretty much the same.

@Flamingo: Fox has been on the top of the tier list for almost of all of Melee I believe and was beaten repeatedly in tournaments by another character that was at the time ranked 4th on the tier list. Waveshine is definetly not broken. It doesn't even work on most of the cast.

-Bair\. Not bad, but definetly not great.

@daK.I.D. the knee has been nerfed, it won't kill people at nearly the same percents, and it can no longer be comboed into.

Falcon blows in Brawl.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
With the implied meaning that if it has already been established that a character has potential, we do not need to constantly be reminded of that. As in, as long as a character has been proven to have the potential to do X, even if two years down the line, there are no longer any active players with the ability to take that character that far, it doesn't mean that the metagame has magically changed and it is no longer possible to take that character that far (unless something changed).

I'd already argued this prior to this post.

Its less balanced because of all the characters that dont need secondarys.
As opposed to Melee?

Waveshine... Brawl is more balanced than Melee.
You lack logic.

To both Veng and Flamingo:
(And this cannot be stressed enough) People who neither actually played Melee Competitively or have any insight into it, please do not participate in this discussion (this goes to those who neither play Brawl or have any insight into it as well).

It becomes abundantly clear you guys do not possess the necessary knowledge to compare Brawl to Melee when you post stuff like this.

fixed that up for you
I see you've taken the "If I pretend it never happened, people will pretend the same"-approach to our argument by entirely ignoring the latest posts in this thread addressed to you where your argument is destroyed (yet you still cling to your completely inaccurate sig in an attempt to discredit me).

Incidentally, this is a recurring pattern when it comes to you, where you routinely pretend like people didn't just destroy your argument and then come back later to repeat the same inane arguments, thinking people will have forgotten you'd used the same arguments before or magically lost the ability to refute your arguments.

Good show!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, go back to summoning and hiding behind your aeons. Leave this to the battle-hardened proz.
Which pros? The ones who invoke "Waveshining!" as the paragon of imbalance? Oh yes, let's totally ignore Meta Knight, King DeDeDe, Snake and Marth who all possess one or several entirely broken moves/techniques/tactics!

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yuna, go back to summoning and hiding behind your aeons. Leave this to the battle-hardened proz.
I loled and am still loling. Yes Yuna rarely participates in these discussions whereas you've been around so long writing disertaion papers on the most intimate nuances of competitive Smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJo6ovLhvc&feature=related

Not exactly what I'd call a **** matchup and as you can see Taj makes a few more obvious mistakes. Taj actually mains Marth and M2K was a M2 main for a while during early Meleedom so we can say with some sureity that they both know the matchup.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I see you've taken the "If I pretend it never happened, people will pretend the same"-approach to our argument by entirely ignoring the latest posts in this thread addressed to you where your argument is destroyed (yet you still cling to your completely inaccurate sig in an attempt to discredit me).

Incidentally, this is a recurring pattern when it comes to you, where you routinely pretend like people didn't just destroy your argument and then come back later to repeat the same inane arguments, thinking people will have forgotten you'd used the same arguments before or magically lost the ability to refute your arguments.
this is actually kind of upsetting as for some unknown reason I was actually looking forward to how you would respond to the point I brought up in the the post below the one you quoted here...

however, I tend to ignore your responces to me, because they do alot of strawmanning and assuming of my points and it seems you try to rope me into debating and talking about things that really dont matter/pertain to the subject matter in a feasible way to being with.

That being said, I find it funny that you make it a recurring pattern to be as much of a hard headed a-hole as humanly possible and that when somebody makes a good point toward you, you do everything you cant think of to try and discredit them, when many times, you have to assume wrong conclusions from whatever post you are referencing to. (such is the case in the exchange surroundign my sig not to mention the fact no matter how logical you try to be seen, theres no amount of logic that can make it OK to demean people the way you do just because you see yourself as infallible.

good day sir.

cutter

Smash Champion
Check out tournament listing for COT4, which will be a very big Brawl tourney upcoming in February in the tournament section for Brawl. You'll notice they have banned Dedede's standing infinites including the small-step chaingrab which isn't an infinite.

A big amount of tournaments have pre-emptively banned the standing infinites and also the small-step chaingrab. Other tournaments like Cataclysm 4 not only banned Dedede's infinites and small-step chaingrabs, but Planking was banned as well.

There has been a huge cry to ban Metaknight, ban Dedede's standing infinites, and ban Planking. I just cannot figure how Brawl could be the more balanced game when there have been NUMEROUS and PERSISTENT complaints on stuff like this.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I'm fine with Brawl being less balanced than Melee, if it means that there is a consensus for Dedede's infinite and Planking being banned. That's a tradeoff I'd make any day (MK doesn't need to be banned, though).

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Oh yes, let's totally ignore Meta Knight, King DeDeDe, Snake and Marth who all possess one or several entirely broken moves/techniques/tactics!
Many characters have broken moves, tactics or game mechanics, not only MK, D3, Snake and Marth (wtf???). There's also Wario, G&W, Olimar, Diddy Kong and Falco who have one or more broken moves/attributes so you should at least mention them as well. If 8 or more characters are broken it becomes more even again, for the very top at least. Whether this makes Brawl more or less balanced is a question of personal perception I guess.

I just wanted to add that to your post. I'm not try to argue the balance topic since I lack knowledge about Melee. It just bothers me to see people act like only 2 or 3 characters can compete in Brawl ... it's actually more than that.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom