• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Greg: Yo good video. Clockwork's Marvel playstyle is very similar to my Smash playstyle. Rush down! The only thing that gets me killed is execution and that is the SAME reason clockwork got killed :(. He'll mess up on some execution, and get punished to hell for it. However, being an "old cat" and having an original style has it's perks. No one can really train against you, nor look at your vids to gain insight, cause you switch it up so much. Plus you can pull an old school tactic that is played out and a new cat will fall for it :-D

Edit: Like' I'm still watching it, about 50% done, and what I'm saying is SOOOOoooo true. If you guys know a lot about Marvel, Clockwork would have the assist caught in the orbs and would accidentally move incorrectly and they would get out and leave the screen instead of eating the full combo. This has been happening throughout these matches :(

Edit Edit: LOLOLOLOL: Clockwork is doing old school Sent resets on this dude HAHAHAHA. These young cats are a trip! Too bad CW is gonna lose :(

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
@CBK: Yo good video. Clockwork's Marvel playstyle is very similar to my Smash playstyle. Rush down! The only thing that gets me killed is execution and that is the SAME reason clockwork got killed :(. He'll mess up on some execution, and get punished to hell for it. However, being an "old cat" and having an original style has it's perks. No one can really train against you, nor look at your vids to gain insight, cause you switch it up so much. Plus you can pull an old school tactic that is played out and a new cat will fall for it :-D
I posted that Se'kou. :(

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
What's going on that day o.0
Yes, I'm not the only one that's ignored. I feel a bit a bit better now.

Watching it now. Fantastic, I'm so hyped for MvC3
k.

I'm not gonna play MvC3 because Justin said it won't be as good as MvC2.
Despite what everyone says, MvC2 isn't going away. Like I've always said about Marvel 3, be careful what you wish for. So many people are going to be butthurt over it, yet they asked for it in the first place so they should be thankful it's even being made.

No more melee at Joker's anymore, so why not be a pot monster in Marvel like the rest of us?

EDIT: Thanks Uli and Tyser for the melee details.

resTy

Smash Champion
Because I am a nonconformist :') I'll just come to eat Viet and hang with the homies.

EDIT: I was sad about the announcement of MvC3 because all new games are bad...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Because I am a nonconformist :') I'll just come to eat Viet and hang with the homies.

EDIT: I was sad about the announcement of MvC3 because all new games are bad...except for 8-bit ones
100% fixed, and I agree, other than new mega man games there have been like 10 excellent games since 2005, unless you like sports games or FPS's.

Also, you are playing Xenogears, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come game tonight Tyser.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Edit: Like' I'm still watching it, about 50% done, and what I'm saying is SOOOOoooo true. If you guys know a lot about Marvel, Clockwork would have the assist caught in the orbs and would accidentally move incorrectly and they would get out and leave the screen instead of eating the full combo. This has been happening throughout these matches :(
Saw that match live. I honestly think Clock made the decision not to capitalize on the dead bodied assists too hard in fear of random hailstorms and whatnot. Personally I think Clock's execution was fine. The reason he was failing the ouroboro trap was because he kept getting assist-countered, which is a legit way to escape the trap unless properly baited. Neo was having a really tough time with his super turtley storm playstyle, until he switched to Capcom assist and you can really see the difference after he did that. It shut down Clock pretty hard, and kept him cornered constantly. Capcom pretty much never died in all the matches Neo won, it was the turning point of the set.

Echo

Smash Champion
Despite what everyone says, MvC2 isn't going away. Like I've always said about Marvel 3, be careful what you wish for. So many people are going to be butthurt over it, yet they asked for it in the first place so they should be thankful it's even being made.
Kind of like smash. Except Brawl blows.

I agree with you, though. No matter what game it is, people are always going to keep playing it if that was their forte. There will be plenty of people that wont move on to 3 whether its because they just can't be good at it or they "think that it sucks." However, for me Marvel vs Capcom has always been more about fun than anything... then again I could have said that about Melee, ha. I'm excited to see how it turns out, but no Mega Man (even if he's added for DLC) is telling me Capcom is probably already making ******** mistakes.

Nice job on the blog, all you need are some followers... its pretty well done.

Really I just came in here to agree that 8-bit remakes are the ****ing truth.

Soran

Smash Ace
what does it mean to get bodied?

Also, what does it mean to be free?

I button test button-up t-shirts.

oh my god. best quote!

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
what does it mean to get bodied?

Also, what does it mean to be free?
I'll spare you the humiliation of someone else saying it, so I'll say what everyone is thinking.

Bodied: What happens to you every tournament.

Free: What you are.

@Echo, thank you. Jay is all I need, for now <3. It would be nice to have others though.

@Everyone except Blank who is watching the MvC2 match- At the end of the day, Clockw0rk is playing a lower tier team. ANY mistake is very costly. Pretty much if any of his team dies, the match is over. Note: I'm not even watching.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Saw that match live. I honestly think Clock made the decision not to capitalize on the dead bodied assists too hard in fear of random hailstorms and whatnot. Personally I think Clock's execution was fine. The reason he was failing the ouroboro trap was because he kept getting assist-countered, which is a legit way to escape the trap unless properly baited. Neo was having a really tough time with his super turtley storm playstyle, until he switched to Capcom assist and you can really see the difference after he did that. It shut down Clock pretty hard, and kept him cornered constantly. Capcom pretty much never died in all the matches Neo won, it was the turning point of the set.

@Blank: His execution wasn't there. (By the way when I played MVC2 i played his team so I'm all to familiar with the ends and outs.) Listen to how many times Justin was like "oh missed..." for Clock as compared to Neo. When your Oro is on and it is connecting on the assist, the objective is to keep the assist in it, and how to do that changes depending on where he is on the screen. Too many times, the assist would get out for free. Actually, he didn't get assist countered much by commando. Commando isnt there to save from the trap, he is there to pressure and punish doom. Once the trap starts, commando wasn't called to save him. CYCLOPS is used to stop the trap, because he is (virtually) invincible on start up too much stuff on the screen for commando to stop it. Eating a random hailstorm isn't the problem, it usually can't be followed up. And it is hard for storm to get that in while strider has oro no matter if it is hitting the assist or not (teleport). I think the final count was 15 - 12. I can see clockwork having 15 if you takeaway just 2 of the matches where he messed up oro at the beginning of the match and got killed for it, then take away that match where he was killed by commando :-\. I just finished the whole thing, and I see technical execution prevailing over old school knowledge. I mean come on, look at how many times Strider missed the eagle gaurd break. CW knew about that, he was just missing. But that's what happens when you get old (that's gonna be me soon :-\ )...still clockwork is my favorite!

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
The Metagame in MvC2 now is largely based off of baiting the assists and killing them with supers. Random HailStorm IS DEFINITELY what he was afraid of. Of course it can't be followed up, it's a super on an assist. Point is, the damage is significant and assists are everything.

@BPx OMG two readers <3

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
MM in Yu-Gi-Oh!? We all have our hidden games we're good at. We should all play a friendly game of Power Stone with Se'kou.... :laugh:

PortCity

Smash Ace
The Metagame in MvC2 now is largely based off of baiting the assists and killing them with supers. Random HailStorm IS DEFINITELY what he was afraid of. Of course it can't be followed up, it's a super on an assist. Point is, the damage is significant and assists are everything.
Here is blank's quote.

"I honestly think Clock made the decision not to capitalize on the dead bodied assists too hard in fear of random hailstorms and whatnot. "

Blank is implying that CW would let the assist character out of the trap to avoid being his with a hailstorm. Cause that is what I was talking about. CW would have the assist in the trap, but would mess up (either moving, not moving, doing a move that knocks the assist out of the trap, etc). I don't think CW was worried about Doom taking a hailstorm during the trap, because when Oro is out there is often too much stuff on the screen to reliably get a hailstorm off. Your point is still valid though, because Clockwork RARELY called out doom without the trap, when strider was point man. Cause then he could eat a random hailstorm and that is lights out.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Yeah, sorry I assumed when I read random hailstorm it meant an assist thing. Either way, hailstorm is scary!

@Soran any amount of money for a FT10.

Jayford

Smash Lord
I'll spare you the humiliation of someone else saying it, so I'll say what everyone is thinking.

Bodied: What happens to you every tournament.

Free: What you are.

@Echo, thank you. Jay is all I need, for now <3. It would be nice to have others though.

@Everyone except Blank who is watching the MvC2 match- At the end of the day, Clockw0rk is playing a lower tier team. ANY mistake is very costly. Pretty much if any of his team dies, the match is over. Note: I'm not even watching.
<3 Also you would be proud. I played SSF4 for like 4 hours yesterday o_0

Clockwork lost because he picked bad characters. <3

Gotta tier ***** that game lol

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
@Blank: His execution wasn't there. (By the way when I played MVC2 i played his team so I'm all to familiar with the ends and outs.) Listen to how many times Justin was like "oh missed..." for Clock as compared to Neo. When your Oro is on and it is connecting on the assist, the objective is to keep the assist in it, and how to do that changes depending on where he is on the screen. Too many times, the assist would get out for free. Actually, he didn't get assist countered much by commando. Commando isnt there to save from the trap, he is there to pressure and punish doom. Once the trap starts, commando wasn't called to save him. CYCLOPS is used to stop the trap, because he is (virtually) invincible on start up too much stuff on the screen for commando to stop it. Eating a random hailstorm isn't the problem, it usually can't be followed up. And it is hard for storm to get that in while strider has oro no matter if it is hitting the assist or not (teleport). I think the final count was 15 - 12. I can see clockwork having 15 if you takeaway just 2 of the matches where he messed up oro at the beginning of the match and got killed for it, then take away that match where he was killed by commando :-\. I just finished the whole thing, and I see technical execution prevailing over old school knowledge. I mean come on, look at how many times Strider missed the eagle gaurd break. CW knew about that, he was just missing. But that's what happens when you get old (that's gonna be me soon :-\ )...still clockwork is my favorite!
Yeah I did see him miss the eagle guard break many times it was disappointing. What I meant wasn't that he was using CapCom assist to escape, I meant that he was literally alpha countering the trap.

Storm DHC into Sentinel is pretty deadly for Strider alone. Maybe clockwork did mess up when he could've taken out CapCom.

Still it was pretty funny watching Clock punish Neo's random hailstorms. I was like yeahhhhh this is stuff Clockwork labbed out in the MvC2 fundamentals video.

Twister of Love

Smash Rookie
Lauren here! Any news on the next tournament? I plan on making my debut at the next one! Also, BLAZBLUE! My boyfriend is really good at that game! I'll see if I can get him to come with me! He'd probably like some good competition in that game! His name is Andrew but some of you might know him better as Dekline! Until then, ciao!

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Kuraes tourney
Oh I thought it was early Feb >.<
But yeah I definitely want a sit for that lol

dibs!! and i call any seat BUT the middle. i already got my cash ready for this one, gotta make up for missin jokers =(
Oops sorry gantrian but we're already picking JLO for this you may have to MM for it XP

I'm not gonna play MvC3 because Justin said it won't be as good as MvC2.
lol I was actually thinking that MvC3 was going to get the Brawl treatmeant, however I still think a pretty good amount of people will still play it like people who where good at 2 will probably make the switch, TvC people lol and all the people who wanted to play 2 but where to late so they rather start fresh plus is MARVEL BABY!!

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Blank: I posted this in the Brawl General Discussion...but no one seems to know the answer. I figured you might. Pretty much, does brawl have "negative edge" like it exists in MVC2?

Here is a definition:

Negative Edge

For normal moves, pressing and releasing an attack button acts as just one input. However, for special and super moves, pressing and releasing acts as two separate inputs of the same attack button. This is negative edge. Example: If you press and hold HP with Ryu and no directional input, you will get one punch attack. If you then release that HP button with no directional input, nothing will happen. If, however, you input the motion for a Hadoken and release the HP button at the end of it, the release of HP acts as a button press to complete the Hadoken input. We promise, it's useful. Because of negative edge, you should always press and release an attack button when you're trying to execute a special move—since it acts as two separate inputs, you're more likely to correctly time the input for the special attack.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@NGamer: Thanks, I was thinking that "if" it did, you could use it to buffer attacks faster. But I guess I should have realized that it didn't by the fact that to do diddy's dacus i have to do 2 full inputs in a short period of time and not just hold and let go...or something like that :-\

gantrain05

Smash Master
Out of curiosity... who would be interested in going to No Koast this weekend... It would be Friday-Sunday thing I think... If I could fill the car I'd consider going. So far it would be Joker, Colin, and I... or Rob/Thugz, could we drive to Omaha and ride with you? I'd do that 100%.
i'd be down for this also, assuming i don't have previous weekend plans, but i can't exactly remember, so i'll have to find out.....for some reason....saturday seems like i need to do something.....but if i don't remember then it doesn't really matter right?

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
If you guys don't do that Amazon deal yourself, I'd appreciate it if you guys bought it and gave me the code (I'd of course reimburse you with $10 cash). Just PM me that you did it so I can make sure to bring enough money to No Koast (or Joker's next monthly).

I feel like this could be a good way for me to "save" up for an iPad2, whenever it's released this Spring. (:

THuGz

Smash Lord
Jlo, BPow, and gamegenie, please figure out together if you are going cuz my plans depend on that too. and gamegenie's.

Top Bottom