• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
UPDATED ON:
November 16th

IMPORTANT

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Sign ups will be at 10am and I'll be starting at 11am so please be on time since I need to finish the tourney before midnight. Also since I have a time restriction there won't be any break in between Doubles/Singles, I'm going to be really strict with time seeing as I only have till midnight or so <(^.^<)

Here's A Video From One Of My Tourneys:
Joker's Monthly "WHY SO SERIOUS?" Tournament Montage

Here's the info:

Where in my basement ;D
2500 Bennett Ave
Des Moines, IA 50312
If you need help call
Joker at 515-240-4593 or PM me
Skizm at 515-681-4799
Captain Love at 515-422-0235 For Directions XP

Tournament Date and time:
November 22nd, 2014
Tourney Starts at 11:00 am

Tournament Cost:

$5 Venue Fee (Only if you enter SM4SH, Melee or Project M)
SM4SH, Project M and Melee:
$10.00 for Singles
$20.00 per Team

Split:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
Same for Melee and Project M

Rules:

General Gameplay Rules:

1. 2 Stocks
  2. 5 Minute Time Limit
  3. If time runs out winner is decided by whichever has the lowest %
  4. Items set to "Off"
  5. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  6. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stage List:

Neutral:
Battlefield

Final Destination (Any Stage In Omega Mode)

Halberd

Town And City

Smashville

Counter Picks:

Mario Circuit(WiiU)

Orbital Gate Assault

Lylat Cruise

Pokemon Stadium 2

Kalos Pokemon League

Delfino Plaza

Skyloft

Doubles Only:

Jungle Hijinx

Windy Hill Zone

1. 4 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. If time runs out winner is decided by whichever has the lowest %
  4. Items Set to "Off" And "None"
  5. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  6. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stage List:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland 64

Counter Pick:
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Green Hill Zone
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Story (Brawl)
WarioWare
Norfair
Fountain Of Dreams

Doubles:

1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character Mega Man, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
Set Procedure:

1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority:

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Using :gw: Judgement higher number wins. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Double-blind pick:
This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Neutral Stages:
-

Counterpicks:

-

Banned:
-

Conduct Rules:

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

SM4ASH Doubles Tournament Results -/-/-
(- Teams)

1:

SM4SH Singles Tornament Results -/-/-
(- Entrants)

1:

Project M Results -/-/-
(- Entrants)

1:

Melee Results -/-/-
(- Entrants)

1:

Here Is The Playlist Of The Videos Of The Tourney

Brawl Vids Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Joker490FrozenHQ?feature=mhum
This is a new channel since the last one got suspended but they will be uploaded here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Let's all of us have a good time playing Brawl and Melee and this is also a good way to meet new people to play against other then the people we play with everyday so if anybody needs more info just post here, so until then.

Last edited:

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
I will bring a T.V., a Gamecube, and a copy of Melee - although I may be late depending on if I can get off work early.

What time does this Friday's event officially start?

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
Just double checking, but by friday you mean the 20th correct?

Depending on work schedules I'm hoping to have a crew of 3 or 4 from Ames make it down.

And do we have to participate in the "official" tourney or can we just show up to have a good ol' time just brawlin?

§chizm

Smash Lord
I will bring a T.V., a Gamecube, and a copy of Melee - although I may be late depending on if I can get off work early.

What time does this Friday's event officially start?

I believe Joker said that a good time would be around 5-6 P.M. Also I'm assuming you need a ride to this so I need to know when and if I need to pick you up.

Just double checking, but by friday you mean the 20th correct?

Depending on work schedules I'm hoping to have a crew of 3 or 4 from Ames make it down.

And do we have to participate in the "official" tourney or can we just show up to have a good ol' time just brawlin?
Yes, it is this Friday. You will not need to participate in any tourney as far as I know, it is just for those that want to put a bit of money on the line ;). Feel free to show up to just smash, the more people the better. Those planning on doing crews should be prepared to lose though :chuckle:.

gantrain05

Smash Master

I believe Joker said that a good time would be around 5-6 P.M. Also I'm assuming you need a ride to this so I need to know when and if I need to pick you up.

Yes, it is this Friday. You will not need to participate in any tourney as far as I know, it is just for those that want to put a bit of money on the line ;). Feel free to show up to just smash, the more people the better. Those planning on doing crews should be prepared to lose though :chuckle:.
Oh im bringin a crew^^ sounds like we got some competition woot. who rolls in ur crew schism?

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Oh im bringin a crew^^ sounds like we got some competition woot. who rolls in ur crew schism?
Its Joker, Schism, Guy who play Falco (He can't decide on a gamertag. :laugh:), Kudou-Kun, and some subs just in case if one of them don't make it.

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
Lol sounds good :)

The only thing i dont agree with are the stages... Delfino as a neutral? Lylat should be in place of Delfino...

Also, Shadow Moses is definitely banned lmao.. Walls?
Then again it is ur tourny so u make the rules.. But they're kinda whack in my opinion.

Edit: Oh and Monthly Brawl tournies is a great idea :)

-BC-

h4rdcor3

Smash Journeyman
[Yes, it is this Friday. You will not need to participate in any tourney as far as I know, it is just for those that want to put a bit of money on the line ;). Feel free to show up to just smash, the more people the better. Those planning on doing crews should be prepared to lose though :chuckle:.
great. While I don't think i'm that bad I don't want to put any money on my skills. It all depends on who else you have to play against to compare, and here at ISU I've only found the 5 or 6 that I play with to be any good. At the smash tourney that the ISU student organization held Sluys and I wrecked kids. We even did a team Bowser for a round and suicide half the kills. Great fun

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah why not lylat on neutral? i don't see any reasons its less neutral than delfino. just a platform with a few platforms up top.

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Also I'm assuming you need a ride to this so I need to know when and if I need to pick you up.
I sent you a PM.

Joker, I am assuming you need as many TV's as you can get. However, please mention if you have enough coming, because I don't want to bring a 19" television if it is not needed.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
well i just asked joker since he's at my house atm, and he said that if u have a set up of wii's or cubes, u should bring it since mtkd isn't going to be at jokers place till like 7:00 or something like that and joker only has like 2 set up at his place. btw lylat cruise sucks

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Yeah sorry kinda new to this hosting thing but like kudou-kun said if u can bring set ups please do, also Lylat Cruise has been going in and out of tourneys but i guess i could add it as a neutral along with Delfino Plaza depending, and Shadow Moses could go out i just put the stages that i play with so yeah. I'll edit the first post and be more specific with the rules cause i forgot to put the basics among the advance.

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
Yeah sorry kinda new to this hosting thing but like kudou-kun said if u can bring set ups please do, also Lylat Cruise has been going in and out of tourneys but i guess i could add it as a neutral along with Delfino Plaza depending, and Shadow Moses could go out i just put the stages that i play with so yeah. I'll edit the first post and be more specific with the rules cause i forgot to put the basics among the advance.
Yea ur right that Lylat has been in and out but I have NEVER heard of Delfino being a neutral...
Any stage where u can get chain grabbed off the side to death is never a neutral... If anything remove Delfino from neutral -_-

Oh and one of my crew members BKJOE won't be able to make it... Not sure if STUD will either... They somewhat have lives and cant do anything on friday nights lmao.. They aren't nerdy enough.. Tryin to get some other people to come tho.

-BC-

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
Joker, I'll be at your house Friday, I might go swimming at one, but I'll leave my TV's and setup there so you'll have enough setups. Then I'll show up around 7:30 or 8 and hope people are still there so I can get some games in and have fun.

Proficient (CBK)

Smash Journeyman
It only looks like Me and -BC- are going friday cuz the other crew member wont make it there cuz of the short notice....next month tho will be able to crew battle....:)

WERE TAKING FIRST PLACE DOUBLES FOR BRAWL.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

maybe me or -bc- will take first in singles....^^

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I may be able to come... if I can, I can bring Melee/Brawl/Wii (if it's needed) and one or two other people.

gantrain05

Smash Master
It only looks like Me and -BC- are going friday cuz the other crew member wont make it there cuz of the short notice....next month tho will be able to crew battle....:)

WERE TAKING FIRST PLACE DOUBLES FOR BRAWL.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

maybe me or -bc- will take first in singles....^^
oh noes the double jons are takin first place =P ur -BC-'s partner the pika main right? lookin forward to some good matches.

gantrain05

Smash Master
ok so i read it might start at 6? if my crew shows up a little late are we still permitted to crew battle? cuz one of us gets off work at 5:30 and he's gotta go to my house shower and stuff b4 we head up.

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
So does someone have a tournament organizer ready for tomorrow? Lol.. :)

Hows it gonna go?
Brawl Doubles, Brawl Singles, Melee Doubles, Melee Singles? Then some N64? haha no.. just messin..

Me and CBK will prob be there around 6 im guessing

-BC-

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Doubles, Brawl Singles, Melee Doubles, Melee Singles [...]
Unless Joker is planning on having everyone over all night or wants to start earlier, there is no way four tournaments are going to get done (unless we have a bunch of setups).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this feels more like a "meet fellow Iowans" event - perhaps we could axe the more competitive tournaments. If we only did two tournaments, teams for Melee and Brawl, more people would be playing at once and it would leave more time for friendlies.

Thoughts?

gantrain05

Smash Master
Unless Joker is planning on having everyone over all night or wants to start earlier, there is no way four tournaments are going to get done (unless we have a bunch of setups).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this feels more like a "meet fellow Iowans" event - perhaps we could axe the more competitive tournaments. If we only did two tournaments, teams for Melee and Brawl, more people would be playing at once and it would leave more time for friendlies.

Thoughts?
yeah i completely agree with u victor, if we did singles and doubles for both on only 2 tv's with as many people as i think are going to be there we could be there all night. we should cut it down to 2v2's for brawl and melee, unless other people are going to be bringing tv's and wii's and GC setups and stuff then we could do more, but if not we should keep it to the 2v2's.

Proficient (-BC-)

Smash Ace
Yea there really is no way were gonna get four tournys done starting at 7 Lol...

Brawl doubles and Melee doubles isn't a bad idea. It would get more people involved and it would go a lot faster than doing singles.

I'm gonna have to do a lot of friendlies in Melee before the tourny starts lol. Just a little rusty...

Maybe next month when theres more planning time we could get singles in or possibly if we still have time after doubles.

-BC-

victor2000

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to do a lot of friendlies in Melee before the tourny starts lol. Just a little rusty...
I stopped playing for roughly 8 months before just getting back into it a week or two ago. So when you say rusty, I feel the pain!

I'm showing up at around 5:30 P.M. and will definitely be needing to play some Melee friendlies.

MTKD

Smash Apprentice
I'll have my labtop and have a Tourney organizer for these kind of tourneys, so that won't be any problems, c'ya guys/girls tomorrow.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
well sorry i don't post as much u know being the host and all, but my brothet uses the comp. more than i do so i have to use my Wii so it takes longer.

But anyways as set ups go i have 2, one for Melee and the other for Brawl, same goes for MTKD, i also asked a friend of mine to let me borrow his Wii and tv, I also have a tv upstairs that i can probably bring downstairs if somebody brings a Wii or GC but no tv, and now that C.Love is comming(that sucks man) he can probably bring tv and Wii, and i believe V2K is bringing a Melee set up.

So that makes a total of 4 set ups for Brawl and 3 for Melee and a open tv for either(preferly Brawl)

So can anybody else bring a complete set up.

Also like C.Love said, it seems everybody should arrive aroud 7 so then we should have everything set up, and if people wants to stay all night thats fine with me, but if ur planing to sleep my matreses were ruin in the flood so all thats left is the basement floor, i have some blanckets and pillows just a few but if u can bring ur own please do. And please tell me who has plans of staying the night so i can try and figure out the parking.

P.S. MTKD has the tournament organiser which i should probably download to.

P.S.S. This took me like an hour to type in the Wii T.T

§chizm

Smash Lord
Also, if anyone needs any help getting to Joker's or needs any info you can call me at 515-681-4799, it will be easier than trying to call Joker.
Also, Joker's house is the last house on the street if that helps.

sluys

Smash Journeyman
Count me in for bringing a wii and a small tv.

h4rdcor3 and I will come between 6 and 7. Also 2 other friends we play with will probably show up (they haven't gotten back to me for sure). None of us need to spend the night.

it'll be nice meeting you guys.

@Schism: you might get a call from me for directions if mapquest fails.

Kudou-kun

Smash Lord
hey i can bring a wii with brawl, a cube with melee, and C. love's N64 with smash, if needed since its been at my house for like ever. the only thing i wont be able to bring is my own tv so tough. dirrection wise, i'm still alittle lost on the dirrection that hurricane gave me but i should be fine maybe, and i might stay over if i have nothing to do on saturday

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I don't if I can bring a T.V. , but i'll be able to bring a Wii with Brawl and a Melee Copy just in case we need it. Plus for all you guys that are from out of town, there is a Burger King nearby for food or we could take a break and order pizza from Papa John's or some other place for cheap.

Top Bottom