• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invisible Ceiling (Roy Social Thread)

shadow1moon

Smash Journeyman
When ever i do it, i am basicly right on top of jiggs and do a reverse Up b. I know its off if jiggs flys up but dosent die.... >.>

shadow1moon

Smash Journeyman
Goes to gamecube. *RESULTS PENDING*

RESULTS:
Pichu; anywhere on the stage is instant KO at 0%
Kirby: Any platform at 0% is KO; nothing on bottom
GW:Nothing at all.

*All were preformed at 0%: except kirby on bottom, no kill up to 150% no further testing on %'s for him.*

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Goes to gamecube. *RESULTS PENDING*

RESULTS:
Pichu; anywhere on the stage is instant KO at 0%
Kirby: Any platform at 0% is KO; nothing on bottom
GW:Nothing at all.

*All were preformed at 0%: except kirby on bottom, no kill up to 150% no further testing on %'s for him.*
the kb doesn't scale with damage, only weight.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yea it's a set knockback hitbox.

IDR who the lightest 2-5 in the game are, but I thought it works on at least one more person.

Hey has anyone had a fully charged flareblade countered by Marth and taken huge knockback even if little percent? We were goofing off this past weekend and Roy got blast KO'd from a FB countered by marth. And then we couldn't reproduce it.

exarch

doot doot doot
Spacies are silly secondaries. On the basis of hey a great secondary is *insert best character(s) in the game*

Really? Cool.

I hear Jigglypuff is a good secondary for Roy too.

Peach isn't bad though you're slightly disadvantaged against sheik. Peach v Peach is at least even.
CF isn't bad either, for icys and peach, though he kinda gets wrecked by very good sheiks.

If we revived the ask Sethlon & me thread, do you think we could keep tactical discussion separate from social discussion? What do we think about this idea?

vZakat

Half Genie
If we revived the ask Sethlon & me thread, do you think we could keep tactical discussion separate from social discussion? What do we think about this idea?
I think we could do this now that we have a social thread.

And personally I think it silly to have a secondary for any low tier, it kinda defeats the purpose. Secondaries are supposed to to have a different strength than your main to help with match ups that my be difficult. But if you second a higher tiered character than all of there match ups will be better than your mains. So why would you even play your low tier character? That why I don't have any secondaries anyway.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I used to use zelda as a secondary, works great for IC's, but the lack of anything worthwhile was kinda disappointing. IMO Roy>zelda. anyways, I call myself a roy main, but truth is i use marth a lot in tourney, and fox on rare occasions. i am way more comfortable playing roy, but marth is just way too good to not use. although, this past tourney (AXS) i used Roy, marth, and fox. Over time, I've picked up almost all the characters, and I'm very good at a lot of them. I just pick characters to main and secondary that can cover all the matchups.

exarch

doot doot doot
Zakat I understand the idea of what you're saying but it's not always true.

Like most days I'm certain that Roy has a better matchup against Fox than Peach does. Just this past Saturday, I was barely beating this fox player with peach (1 stock most of the time.)

I pulled out Roy and 3/JV 4ed him several times in a row. Then he stopped spotdodging. :c
So after he adjusted to me and beat me pretty good a couple of times I readjusted myself went back to 2 stocking him.

---
Does anyone come online and check the Roy boards like 1st or 3rd thing and be extremely disappointed when there's no new posts to respond to? I do that a lot.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Zakat I understand the idea of what you're saying but it's not always true.

Like most days I'm certain that Roy has a better matchup against Fox than Peach does. Just this past Saturday, I was barely beating this fox player with peach (1 stock most of the time.)

I pulled out Roy and 3/JV 4ed him several times in a row. Then he stopped spotdodging. :c
So after he adjusted to me and beat me pretty good a couple of times I readjusted myself went back to 2 stocking him.

---
Does anyone come online and check the Roy boards like 1st or 3rd thing and be extremely disappointed when there's no new posts to respond to? I do that a lot.
i agree with your statement of "switch back and forth." it really helps you improve plus it gets you knowing how characters work. also a big thing is you learn situations that are hard to counter with roy, but with other characters are easy to deal with. eg nair OoS is really good vs falco shield pressure. i learned said skill from playing marth and just adapted it to roy. also edge guarding with things other than fsmash and counter comes from playing a billion different characters.

also i completely agree with you last statement. i enjoy throwing up random threads in here because like, 5 people talk about them.

vZakat

Half Genie
So I got 7th at a tourney yesterday going all Roy. The best I've ever done in a tournament. At one point everyone stopped playing to cheer me on in a match. It was the hypest smash thing that's ever happened to me. I see Roy in a new light now. Nothing is impossible. :colorful:

shadow1moon

Smash Journeyman
Good job! I went Roy at a tourney Saturday. Roy destroyed them in friendlies, but when pools came around i lost them all...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
BORED!

so boring, we need excitement

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So I got 7th at a tourney yesterday going all Roy. The best I've ever done in a tournament. At one point everyone stopped playing to cheer me on in a match. It was the hypest smash thing that's ever happened to me. I see Roy in a new light now. Nothing is impossible. :colorful:
I wish that happened to me. tbqh, probably the best feeling in smash ever is when half the community is cheering you on. someday i will actually place in a tourney rather than getting slightly above last place. it's kinda sad really, i can beat a lot of my region in friendlies, but when it comes to tourney, i choke like hell and can't do anything.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I meant the part where he says. If you beat someone 48 times in friendlies and lose 2 in tournaments. You are 48-2, but the tournament wins are all that matter.

exarch

doot doot doot
Good stuff David!
Who'd you beat/what characters?

There's a ton of good players who get significantly worse in tournament. Don't feel like you're the only one. I'm fortunate enough not to be affected to much by tourney nerves.

Also I'm basically giving up on the Roy forums ever having anything more than 1 active thread. *sigh*

vZakat

Half Genie
Good stuff David!
Who'd you beat/what characters?
Here's the bracket.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2eydztl.gif

Matt is a marth main. I lost to him last tourney I went to. 702(cam) is a puff main and is pr's in NC. Karn is a fox main also pr's. fiz is a newer sheik player, he still really good though. jim is a ganon main, pr'd as well. All the sets were close. I'll post vids whenever they pop up.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I meant the part where he says. If you beat someone 48 times in friendlies and lose 2 in tournaments. You are 48-2, but the tournament wins are all that matter.
I've read that before, I took it to heart, and then realized that either people sandbag really really hard against me in friendlies (which i doubt) or they just don't get ***** by nerves (more than likely). So what i'm going to try to do is do a whole bunch of money matches, and see if i can get rid of the adrenaline rush that i get while in tourney mode.

Speaking of tourney mode, I believe my pools matches from RoM were livestreamed. So if you saw a green roy getting ***** on livestream, it was probably me. I played HMW who was falco, foy who was falcon, zone who was a perfectly technical marth being coached by wife in the middle of the game (XP **** you wife), and deathknight (falco).

BEES

Smash Lord
Back when I played smash with a small group of friends, I had to be the best in the group. If I lost a lot of matches in a row, if I was having a particularly bad day, I'd develop a bit of a mood.

Now it's like psh... If I don't get 3 stocked much in a day I'm on a ****ing roll.

Top Bottom