• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invisible Ceiling (Roy Social Thread)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
So the bad news is my M2 got recorded yesterday during pancake crews.

But the good news is my Roy did too!

But it's against people who don't really know what they're doing with the characters they're playing. So more bad news.

But I think I got significantly better at melee yesterday. Good news!

Also, what's up Sethlon and NEO?

vZakat

Half Genie
Is there even enough activity for there to be a social board? I wish there was more activity here. I remember when 5150 used to hella troll these boards. Ahh, good times.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I post all the time, no one responds haha.

I am fairly new to the roy boards, but that's okay!

Exarch, you should be happy your M2 got recorded...M2 is da bess.

vZakat

Half Genie
Maybe I should start some activity around here, or at least answer your (and others) questions. I'ma start lurking here more and actually responding instead of just being unhelpful... or something like that.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am trying to figure the best secondary for Roy I should use. I can pretty much use falco, fox, falcon, and marth near the same level. I am also learning peach. I know IC really destroy roy so I was thinking either fox, falcon or peach, but falco samus and peach are also very good against roy. Would Falcon be a good choice as a CP?

Only reason I am asking is because I want to focus on 1 secondary.

No one really plays IC's so that really isn't a problem.

exarch

doot doot doot
Yea there's enough action for a social thread. Social threads with less people are better because then you actually can have conversations (more or less.)

I actually used to play M2 a little bit, so I'm not hopeless with him. But it's against crappy people/characters and then Kirby turned around and I couldn't approach.

Best secondary for ____ low tier is Fox. But seriously Falcon could work (Falco's his worst matchup though.) Luigi might not be bad, either.

Actually I've found that most Icy's are pretty easy with Roy because they're just trying to shield WD into smashes and dtilt/DED will torture them. At higher levels of play Roy should get wrecked though--once the icys learn to jump without hitting airdodge right afterward. I also haven't been having as much of trouble with Falco either recently.

Also I beat Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday. Fun game--throwback galaxy is too beast. Got lots of stars left to get now.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah I think Falcon would be alright. I might use Jiggs against falco...or peach if my peach gets better/my roy gets wrecked.

-- I never played Super Mario Galaxies. I pretty only play Melee now haha. I am waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic to come out...or for me to get beta testing! :(

Pi

Smash Hero
Tbh, once you learn how to deal with lasers with ______ character, falco is not that bad.

Characters that can easily gimp him I would say have an advantage, and characters that get combo'd to **** by him have a disadvantage.

exarch

doot doot doot
Ok so for anyone who cares (which you shouldn't about the first several.)
This is my M2 in crews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlpaaE51Ng
This has one stock of my Ganon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwZMBrO69s
This is Mario/Fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1Mew_CQjo
This is more Mario and Roy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enLuLXfRedU

Oh yea I want to point out the Yoshi started talking on his phone while we were playing. That's what the pause is about and why I started platform camping.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
your roy is interesting. It's very very campy. It's also a little slow for my taste. you need to pick up the pace a little bit otherwise spacies will run all over you.

vZakat

Half Genie
In all honesty, exarch's roy is a little slow for my taste also. Although I don't think I've ever beaten it. Amazing tech skill and combos don't necessarily make a good roy.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Why is this social thread called Invisible Ceiling? What's the underlying joke? ...or reference...?

Btw, does anyone know how to make slash-through box tags (or whatever it's called)?

Pi

Smash Hero
Very little, atm. Haven't gotten to play much recently.
Did anyone end up sending Neo a copy of melee? lol

Curse you Fly Amanitaaaa
I'll send NEO a copy of melee if he's going to enjoy playing it

Also to add on to the thread title, I've also heard it used to reference limitless potential.

exarch

doot doot doot
What? I ****ing combo the **** out of people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnnBizGh3NA#t=1m8s
Nice.

Roy combos are similar to Pika combos. Lots of moves for little damage. But they look cooler.

And yea against Luigi I'm just avoiding getting CC'd or combo broken by nair. I had 4 stocks to take 7 in that crew battle, and once I got to Yoshi I started sandbagging.

But I've often referenced the differences in styles with Roy. I think he's extremely effective when taking advantage of his early kills and great edgeguarding ability. Sethlon like to abuse his grab range and disjointed hitbox more than go for early kills.
But this is still my favorite Sethlon combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7Ck-pNjro#t=8s
Beautiful. *Wipes tear*

And yea I definitely meant in reference to counter, but the limitless thing is pretty cool too.

Oh come on guys don't stop posting now. >_>

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I don't think I get the "limitless potential." :(

Btw, lol at Sethlon's 1st kill.

exarch

doot doot doot
Well hitting your limit is hitting a ceiling, (or a plateau.) So an invisible ceiling would imply there's no limit. That's the idea of the metaphor.

@Zakat Actually the wait at 1:23 was beautiful.

I'm considering starting matchup discussion threads. Just one matchup at a time though. And not in this thread.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Has anyone ever messed around with d-tilt -> bair before? It actually sends them at a lower angle than fair and nair and seems like it could have some combo potential.

Practicing in my room with my lights off---^

edit; say...~50% on captain falcon, dtilt->bair->ded

regardless if your bair hits them behind you or in front, the DED can connect i think.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Has anyone ever messed around with d-tilt -> bair before? It actually sends them at a lower angle than fair and nair and seems like it could have some combo potential.

Practicing in my room with my lights off---^

edit; say...~50% on captain falcon, dtilt->bair->ded

regardless if your bair hits them behind you or in front, the DED can connect i think.
dtilt to almost all of roy's moves work. you really just need to correctly decide which one to use. dtilt->dtilt is legit

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah, you are correct sir haha. Bair seems to give a better angle, than fair or nair. It is situational to use but I think there could be uses for it.

I think you can bair to fsmash if they di the dtilt into you. this is on falcon

Pi

Smash Hero
Yeah, you are correct sir haha. Bair seems to give a better angle, than fair or nair. It is situational to use but I think there could be uses for it.

I think you can bair to fsmash if they di the dtilt into you. this is on falcon
Are we weak hitting the bair? or sourspot?
Both reverse & standard hitboxes?

exarch

doot doot doot
I'm guessing we're not weak hitting the bair. Cause anyone can jump out after fishslap aerials.

Oh and obviously the move that provides the most combo potential after dtilt is dtilt. lol

I played a lot of Roy yesterday at the smashfest. Too fun. I learned that the Sheik CG goes from about 20-120. (No one had actually CGed me the whole way before--usually they grab me at 0 and I standing tech and dtilt **** them and they give up after that.) You can tech onto platforms before you can jump out on any level cause Roy's stun time is garbs. And don't DI off the level cause she just walks off an fairs and you're dead. I also learned the matchup is still entirely winnable cause teh phir3 is too good.

Counter is too good when you're at a high percent and got the opponent fishing for kill moves.

If I was balancing Melee I'd give Roy Mario/Samus/Luigi/Puff's stun-time. That's really what he needs most. (A long time ago I had 3 minor changes to make to Roy to improve him without breaking him... I don't remember what the other two are now. Tentatively give him a bigger shield so Falco can't shieldpoke combo him.)

Oh and fox is easy.

Palpi

Smash Hero
You are running at them facing them...and bairing away from them but still connecting so it sends them forward and your momentum is still going forward. It is not the weakspot of the bair either.

So like...also have done dtilt->bair-> dtilt-> nair etc.

At earlier %'s i think you can grab them after the bair. (keep in mind im doing this on FD)

I know Dtilt has the most combo potential =]

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
bair definitely does send more down, and if you're trying to keep them on the ground it's legit, but if you're trying to set up for an fsmash it seems like you're giving an opportunity to tech.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah that is true, but they can jump out of anything else for the most part. I think for some situations it can reward the most combo potential. If they DI into you on the Dtilt the fsmash is more reasonable to land,

vZakat

Half Genie
I've actually considered writing a comboing guide for Roy. I may write a little something about dtilt follow ups in a few days. (I'm kinda busy)

exarch

doot doot doot
Yea, actually yesterday I was able to go around with a yellow name and moving smashbash cause they relaxed the rule. But it's back to normal now.

You know it occurred to me recently we're one of the major faces of smashboards. Most often we're going to be the first character specific forum newbies look at. (Because MY ROI IS QQ GOOD, I BEET ALL MI FRENDZ WIT HIM.)

We should try harder to look more active. If the first forum someone sees looks dead, we're gonna be losing a lot of potential new smashers.

So Zakat, you should write that combo guide. Palpi you should go ahead and make a Fox vs Roy matchup discussion thread. Oblivion & Kniht you should stick around and help where y'all can too.

And Sethlon? *Summons Sethlon via namesearch* Come back to us!

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea, actually yesterday I was able to go around with a yellow name and moving smashbash cause they relaxed the rule. But it's back to normal now.

You know it occurred to me recently we're one of the major faces of smashboards. Most often we're going to be the first character specific forum newbies look at. (Because MY ROI IS QQ GOOD, I BEET ALL MI FRENDZ WIT HIM.)

We should try harder to look more active. If the first forum someone sees looks dead, we're gonna be losing a lot of potential new smashers.

So Zakat, you should write that combo guide. Palpi you should go ahead and make a Fox vs Roy matchup discussion thread. Oblivion & Kniht you should stick around and help where y'all can too.

And Sethlon? *Summons Sethlon via namesearch* Come back to us!
I've added the roy boards to my rotation, so I visit here whenever there is a new post, but atm I'm working hard on my samus.

Top Bottom