• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Invisible Ceiling (Roy Social Thread)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
eh, I've been playing marth more than roy recently just because it helps me get better. having more options has made me a better player in general. also i've just been tinkering with a lot of characters to see how they play. thus i now have a fox, shiek, cf, etc.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
assuming you're talking about timing the individual hits, the easiest way to practice using Roy's DED is to count it out in your head 1, 2, 3, 4. During each number, hit sideB once. I've given this advice to numerous people, so hopefully it works for you too.

Alright, since Roy cannot seem to approach very well, I assume that means the main strategy is stay out of range until you can punish stuff.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah. I mean it's really hard to get that F smash in to punish people most of the time so I d tilt. I haven't gotten used to using dancing blade a lot yet...

Of course it's awesome getting that F smash.

I like wavedash out of shield-> F smash.

My brother hates the F smash.

F smash is awesome.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
Dancing blade has its weaknesses. It's counterproductive at low percentages since it brings them in closer to you (while you are stuck in the combo)

I think I've found that his Bair is not as terrible as his other airs -- Nair's ok, but the range is too narrow for defending yourself in a pinch

Samba

Smash Apprentice
d-tilt to dashdance DED is great sheild pressure. I've found, since you can d-tilt and dashdance right of grab reach and start a DED combo

Samba

Smash Apprentice
I approve of D-tilt to DED mindgames.
And what ever happened to the U-Smash Spike thread? That's something that needs delving into in much greater depth. Anything to give Roy another edge (doh...) in ANY situation is fine by me. Preferred, in fact. And it HAS to be attainable, a mastery over it, as difficult as it may be to perform. If somebody could matriculate themselves in its discipline and get it down cold... He'd be such a deterrent for the opponent to go to the edge of the stage, for one (even though it's normally a bad place to be anyway)... Mindgames, gentlemen... Mindgames
I've already started practicing sweetspotting the U-smash spike, I hope you all will do the same, and share with us your individual discoveries

Give me that Dsmash! Out of frame 6 (faster than Dtilt). Incredibly easy to sweetspot from a CC, and fastfalling roy helps all the more with CC.

vZakat

Half Genie
Also if you tip down smash it sends them outward similar to y.link's. I love killing people like that because they always freak out.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Samba, you want to talk about the upsmash spike, right?

Well as far as I know, it is entirely dependent on the opponent's DI, which makes using it on purpose next to impossible. But if you can prove me wrong and use it intentionally, please do so. Roy needs everything he can get. The upsmash spike is not something that has ever attracted much attention from me for that reason.

The upsmash, not in the spiking sense, is a great move for roy.

(Do not let me crush your dreams for innovation for the character. If you really think you can learn to use the upsmash spike well, then learn it!)

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Samba, you want to talk about the upsmash spike, right?

Well as far as I know, it is entirely dependent on the opponent's DI, which makes using it on purpose next to impossible. But if you can prove me wrong and use it intentionally, please do so. Roy needs everything he can get. The upsmash spike is not something that has ever attracted much attention from me for that reason.

The upsmash, not in the spiking sense, is a great move for roy.

(Do not let me crush your dreams for innovation for the character. If you really think you can learn to use the upsmash spike well, then learn it!)
That's what I've noticed as well. you may want to have someone SDI the usmash in different directions and see what happens.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Warning! The last reply to this thread was posted over a month ago. Please make sure you are not unnecessarily bumping this thread before replying.
Jesus Christ you guys.

Deader than dead.

Let's revive things by discussing why Roy is better than Marth.

Down tilt.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Depends...d'you mean hitstun for combos sake, or just hitstun in general (IE including high knockback moves?)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
counter, almost full charged flare blade, 4th hit of side b upwards, f-smash, d-smash

these are guesses but probably right

Top Bottom