• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Weapon of Choice (BROWSER POLL)

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Apple Safari

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 145 26.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 315 57.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters

Steven9wii

Smash Apprentice
wii opera!!! rarely it freezes (unless i back into an offer on accident and try backing it out but not going anywhere!

Feld0

Smash Rookie
I used to be quite a dedicated IE user until I gave Chrome and FF a whirl. I loved the add-ons and stuff in FF, but I couldn't resist the snappiness of Chrome, especially on my old craptop. Now, Chrome has extensions and themes, too, something Firefox is usually known for!

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Firefox is great and all, yeah, but it hates my living guts. Don't ask me why. FireFox works for just about everyone on this planet, and then i sit down in yonder chair and turn on the computer, and Firefox starts preparing to make my day miserable.

Chrome pretends I'm not that bad.

Did the guy 2 posts above me say Wii Opera? It'd be a lot nicer if the words weren't so blurry.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Just thought it would be interesting to compare the results here with the results for the whole world:

Although the percentages are different, the order is almost exactly the same, interestingly. Just move IE behind firefox and chrome and you get the order in this poll.

I wonder what "other" mainly consists of. I would guess Netscape, and maybe Konqueror.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
FF4 is crazy awesome. I'm not even using it and I already know it's going to be awesome because apparently it has tabs on top by default. That's something I've been working with on FF for forever and trying to get it to work right with auto-hiding UI bars.

I used to be quite a dedicated IE user until I gave Chrome and FF a whirl. I loved the add-ons and stuff in FF, but I couldn't resist the snappiness of Chrome, especially on my old craptop. Now, Chrome has extensions and themes, too, something Firefox is usually known for!
FF's still the best security wise, but Chrome is the best speed wise. Chrome is hard to hack, though, so that's adding points to it for me. Once it gets Adblock Plus and NoScript, I'll consider switching to Chrome.

Firefox is great and all, yeah, but it hates my living guts. Don't ask me why. FireFox works for just about everyone on this planet, and then i sit down in yonder chair and turn on the computer, and Firefox starts preparing to make my day miserable.

Chrome pretends I'm not that bad.

Did the guy 2 posts above me say Wii Opera? It'd be a lot nicer if the words weren't so blurry.
So what happens when you try to work with FF? Specifics?

And lol, he did. Are you on W7 by any chance? If you are I could help you fix the blurriness.

I wonder what "other" mainly consists of. I would guess Netscape, and maybe Konqueror.
Yeah, probably. I used to use Netscape, it was awesome in its time.

n!njaAttack!

Smash Rookie
Hey! Remember the days when everybody thought internet explorer was the shiz and nobody liked firefox? It's almost the exact opposite now. Firefox has proved that open source software CAN prosper as well as closed source.

My fav? Firefox. Google Chrome Comes in an extremely close second. Pretty much to the .01 percent of a close second.
I'm on firefox 4 beta. It's pretty sick. Opera is also worth a shot.
Opera? Umm ew? I mean don't get me wrong I loved Desktop opera for a while, since version 9 could run pretty well on my grandmother's computer which is 10-12 years old. But Wii version turned me off completely since I do almost everything on my wii.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It just goes to show that open source does not imply "anyone can read the code, therefore everyone will know how to crack it". The strongest security in the industry (stuff like RSA) consist of open standards. Everyone knows exactly how RSA works. Why does everyone trust it so much? ;)

Sharky

Smash Master
so I haven't tried it out at all yet, but apparently IE9 beta is actually pretty good? anyone confirm/deny?

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed. IE9 is rather nice.

Only problem is that it's only big selling point is the hardware acceleration, and once other browsers have that, then it's behind again.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been hearing good things about IE9 as well. It was all aesthetics though. I don't know if anything can make me stop using chrome, at this point. I love Chrome.

Sharky

Smash Master
yeah I like how the vast majority of the good stuff people are saying about IE are stuff that chrome already did

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
How 'bout chrome! More than IE + Safari + Opera. Go chrome go! My internet weapon of choice ever since I got it about a year ago.

Honestly, I really think IE is becoming obsolete. Firefox has all the customization options, and chrome has the speed and ease of use. I just don't see any reason for IE to be used so much. The only reason it is used so much is because it's pre-installed on windows computers and most people never bother to get any other browsers.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I refuse to add RockMelt to this poll. It is nothing more than Chrome + Facebook/Twitter plugins.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Lol @ Rockmelt

Also, I use both FF4 and Chrome now. FF freezes sometimes when I load flash/etc in it (I have way too many tabs) so I use Chrome for those things that need it. I'm liking where FF4 is going. If only they could get more smoothness like Chrome :/

Honestly, I think if FF and Chrome merged, it would be the most powerful browser on the net.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Chrome because it uses less power. Firefox uses crazy amounts of power.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Chrome because it uses less power. Firefox uses crazy amounts of power.
Yes, but Chrome's firewall is severely lacking compared to Firefox. Plus, Chrome's features and addons are the bare minimal. I don't even have the option for bookmarks on Chrome in Linux Ubuntu. Chrome is definitely faster, but I'll sacrifice the extra one second of loading time for the features and firewall for Firefox.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Wow, I didn't realize how fast chrome was until I tried to go back and use firefox on my computer a few days ago. What a difference.

Also, it would be interesting to do one of these polls for mobile browsers. Opera is a lot more solid in the mobile market than it is for computer browsing. I use chrome on my computer and opera on my phone.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yes, but Chrome's firewall is severely lacking compared to Firefox. Plus, Chrome's features and addons are the bare minimal. I don't even have the option for bookmarks on Chrome in Linux Ubuntu. Chrome is definitely faster, but I'll sacrifice the extra one second of loading time for the features and firewall for Firefox.
Lol bumped.

I switched to Chrome because it has yet to be hacked, and its sandbox is proving distressing to hackers. Most hackers won't touch it, but of course that makes it an even more delicious challenge for hardcore hackers. Even then, I have NotScript and Adblock Plus for Chrome as well, so I don't ever see ads on facebook or anywhere else and scripts can't run unless I allow them to. There are ways around that, but unless Chrome gets a significant share of internet users (IE and Firefox still have much more) I don't think most hackers would really want to bother with it for such a small amount of potentially infectable users.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
Even though the latest Firefox beats Chrome in speed tests, I still like Chrome's UI a whole lot better.

I don't even have the option for bookmarks on Chrome in Linux Ubuntu.
I use bookmarks all the time on Linux. Did you try adding a bookmark with the star? I think there used to be an option for "show bookmarks bar". They now have made it default always shown, but you probably need to add a bookmark first.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
New Firefox 4 is still not faster than Chrome on almost any of the benchmarks. Chrome is the fastest on almost every one.

Use Ctrl-D to bookmark, llama. You have to open a new tab to see your bookmarks bar, although you can default to showing it if you want. I prefer to keep it hidden and just Ctrl-T for a new tab and then click through the bookmarks bar.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Firefox is ballz!
(although it's still better than IE)
Why da !@#% is it being voted for over Chrome.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I use Chrome, but I do so with the full knowledge that it's one hell of a resource hog.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Definetly Mozilla Fox on my Windows PC Interface.

I also use Apple Safari on the iPhone, which is alright but due to it's limited capabilities I am unable to do much.

As far as e-mail goes, my preference goes to Mozilla Thunderbird, although I mostly can look at my e-mail easily and conviniently via my iPhone.

:phone:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
After a recent system restore my FF started acting all screwy and slow, even after a clean reinstall.

Also FF 4 was always a bit crap anyway so I switched to 3.8 but that's running kinda slow too.

So I switched to Chrome for a bit and I just really don't like it.

Then I decided to try Opera and so far it's really nice. I dunno I think more people should give it a spin.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I switch between chrome and firefox.
but ever since chrome introduced add-ons it's gotten a ****ton slower even without any addons installed, so i switched back to only firefox.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yes, it is absolutely that bad. IE is just bad for several reasons that I don't feel like explaining (read about it here). That person's view is only outdated in the fact that you don't have to use IE for anything at all- IE Tab for Firefox and a similar extension in Chrome can render any page as if it was in Internet Explorer, allowing you to completely eradicate Internet Explorer. You can make Firefox (and I'd assume Chrome too by now) look exactly like IE if you want the design, as well. Using IE is like saying to the internet, "lul hi i want u 2 hack me~~~1!!!!"

So get Chrome/Firefox/anything but IE. Please. <3

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it is absolutely that bad. IE is just bad for several reasons that I don't feel like explaining (read about it here). That person's view is only outdated in the fact that you don't have to use IE for anything at all- IE Tab for Firefox and a similar extension in Chrome can render any page as if it was in Internet Explorer, allowing you to completely eradicate Internet Explorer. You can make Firefox (and I'd assume Chrome too by now) look exactly like IE if you want the design, as well. Using IE is like saying to the internet, "lul hi i want u 2 hack me~~~1!!!!"

So get Chrome/Firefox/anything but IE. Please. <3
you can't eradicate ie!!!111 how else would you download Firefox?

Top Bottom