• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Weapon of Choice (BROWSER POLL)

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Apple Safari

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 145 26.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 315 57.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters
lol at 6 month bump
Anyway, every browser usually ends up offering the basic stuff. Zoom, bookmarks, search, refresh, disable stuff, enable stuff, history, etc. etc. The core things are there in virtually every browser. It's only the nick-pick stuff to decide on.

I like chrome in the fact that whenever it does lock-up, it doesn't completely shut down and close like I have had happen with Safari, Opera, Firefox and IE. But I hate how often it crashes with the flash player. I run like 2-3 things for about 5 minutes and it crashes.

I see nothing to dislike about IE. It's neutral as a browser.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Can this thread start over

I want to change my vote to Firefox

R h y m e

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Opera for two years and I find it difficult to go back. In the event Opera is incompatible with a certain site or aspect of it [Youtube Annotation editor comes to mind], I use Firefox or Chrome.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I mainly go for google chrome. And since I have an iPad 2, safari is quite magnificent.
It would be the same for the safari on Mac, but I'd still go for google chrome.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Used to use nothing but Firefox for years, then it started going mental and freezing for 10-15 second intervals every so often. For no reason either. That got boring quick, so Chrome a-go.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Ah yeah, Rockmelt. :bee: I've tried it before, it looks simply amazing. I believe since it is a Chromium build, it's compatible with all Chrome extensions, so it can already get AdBlock/NotScripts. I haven't really made the switch yet, but I will probably switch soon. The newest browsers are generally the ones that get the least viruses, as hackers haven't mastered the new code yet. I hope Rockmelt has a sandbox.

Oh yeah, and Rockmelt has a different folder than Chrome, so NotScripts won't work unless you set the password in the file it saves there. The path should be %userprofile%\AppData\Local\RockMelt\User Data\100001819808277\Extensions\odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn instead of what they show on the NotScripts option file. :)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see a "download for windows" and a "download for mac" option.

No linux. No thanks.
I use all 3 OSs and I need consistency.

joe.

Smash Cadet
Google Chrome Canary.

The developers bleeding edge release. Pretty fun stuff; updates literally every 4 hours or so, but when a new feature comes out, it is pretty cool to have it before hand.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
But it doesn't account for several factors. First off, based on sheer number of users alone, yeah, IE eats up a large chunk. However, in many sites I build, the visitors are often over 80% Firefox users because the large chunk of IE users include old people who cannot operate a computer to save their lives. I don't really care or cater to that audience. Also, I would argue that Firefox users spend far more hours on the Internet than IE users. Since they spend considerably more time doing things online, having a safe/effective browser means much more than to someone who gets on to check email and gets right back off.
^ This. It's all who is behind that percentage and it's all old people who don't know how to do anything....

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Super old thread is super old.

That said, I'm still using Chrome... I've experimented with Firefox builds such as Waterfox that claim to be speedy but none come close to Chrome, sadly.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I just updated IE9 to IE10, and sometimes the application hangs when opening a link on a new tab (and other various instances), and it seems like pages load slower for some reason. I think I might be switching to Firefox or Google Chrome soon. :facepalm:
Please, for the sake of all the internet, do it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I used IE6 and later IE7 before switching to Chrome. And I'm probably never gonna switch to another browser, for none of the others are as speedy as Chrome.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Used to use IE, but I changed to Chrome and never regretted it. It's faster and, unlike IE, has no significant bugs.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Firefox used to be good. It's still super customizable, but it has random freezes occurring more frequently now. On top of that, it seems to me that the omnipresent memory leak is worse now than it was then. Ended up switching to Chrome, which is very fast but not as customizable.

I hope one day to return to my native land of Firefox, but I'm exiled to Chromeville for the time being.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Oh right. For the short time I've ever used Opera, at least I never got a virus...

But that might just be because said viruses were incompatible with the Wii.

IE, however, screwed over two Laptops I owned.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
If you don't use Waterfox, you don't really internet.

Enjoy your botnet, Chrome scrublords.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I tried Waterfox. It wasn't as fast as Chrome even from a fresh install vs. my extension riddled Chrome.

Normally I wouldn't put speed above other qualities of browsers but I don't have a very speedy internet, so I need a speedy browser.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Chrome is the best option for a dial-up connection.
I mean, I have DSL, so that's just one step above.

Maybe when I figure out how to Perma-Incognito, Ad-Block + and YouTube Easy Download to to my Bowser, i'll switch to Chrome.
It's not too hard.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

For YT downloading, just get any external downloader, as the Chrome webstore prevents addons from being able to download from YT. Orbit works wonders. Tbh though if I want to download anything from YT I just open it in Firefox, then close it after it's done downloading. It's not really a hassle for me.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I mean, I have DSL, so that's just one step above.

It's not too hard.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

For YT downloading, just get any external downloader, as the Chrome webstore prevents addons from being able to download from YT. Orbit works wonders. Tbh though if I want to download anything from YT I just open it in Firefox, then close it after it's done downloading. It's not really a hassle for me.
As for Perma-Incognito (ie don't save history)

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896

The catch to this is that Chrome's incognito mode disables all extensions by default. You're honestly better off just clearing your history along with your cache every now and then.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yeah, I'd be using Firefox too if I didn't really need the speed of Chrome and had fast internet. Firefox has better options/functionality, at the price of speed.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Lol, yeah. There's other ways I prevent tracking (Chrome's version of NoScript fits the bill) and history is useful to me so I don't really worry about it. If Chrome didn't have Adblock and NoScript I would not be using it for any reason. Youtube downloading isn't something I really do all that often, so yeah. Plus, Chrome's sandbox provides added protection, and it's nice to have.

Top Bottom