• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Weapon of Choice (BROWSER POLL)

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Apple Safari

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 145 26.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 315 57.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters

MetroidFusion

Smash Rookie
Safari and Chrome are the same speed for me, But i have to go for Safari because I some how messed up my Chrome. oopps

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
Honestly, i don't like FireFox, i had SO many problems with it. I like Safari and Chrome the best, but right now i'm using Chrome so i'll go with that.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Problem 1: Chrome is faster.
So, you would trade overall safety, better ad blocking, and greater customization for better speed? Whatever floats your boat then. :)
If you prefer (a greater risk of) potentially being tracked via cookies, then it's entirely your choice. I'm aware that there's an option in Chrome to refuse all cookies, eliminating the problem, but you will have to manually login to all your accounts every time you visit your sites, as well as go back and change the settings either way when there is a site that requires cookies. There is also an option to refuse all third party cookies, but if you end up on a site that uses its main cookies to track, then you're still out of luck. Up to you though. But I still prefer FF.
And it doesn't really seem like Chrome is that much faster. Yes, obviously it is faster, but to me it looks like the slight decrease in speed is worth all the options/better security in FF. I don't even have high speed internet and FF is fast for me, so FF can't really be all that slow.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Ah, was assuming you had Windows. I don't use Linux so I'm not familiar with it, but if Linux somehow protects you from tracking cookies, then I guess Chrome is fine. FF still has better and easier ad/script blocking, though. It takes a bit more work to get that for Chrome, but it's possible to get some ad blocking in Chrome. Not as good as FF, but it's alright. Once Chrome can get ad/script blocking like FF's AdBlock Plus and NoScript, then I won't have anything to say. XD

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I've used Firefox for a long time. I'm not fond of it on Windows 7 as opposed to Internet Explorer on Windows 7. I just prefer IE more. I still have FF though.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Well, amid all the Firefox hoopla, I just learned that Chrome doesn't need NoScript, simply because Chrome can do that itself. You can turn JavaScript off, and then an icon is displayed in the address bar, where you can add the site to a white list. Very Useful.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yes, but FF has more security, more customization options, and will continue to improve in the future (hopefully getting better rendering and a higher Acid3 as well). Chrome may be faster and prettier, but if a virus gets on the computer and does some damage that FF could have easily prevented, it will become apparent where the most important features lie. Chrome still hasn't gotten to the point that FF has been at for a long time. Once it does, I'll recommend Chrome as well as FF. But for what FF offers at the moment compared to all other browsers, I maintain my position. :)

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Does Firefox have sandboxing? And for me on GNU/Linux, I don't need to bother about viruses. They don't exist. Simple as that. It could have the worst security in the world and I could still use it. All I need to worry about is speed and rendering, really. GNU/Linux takes care of the rest.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Google chrome is the fastest web browser hands down. I could care less about features and crazy addons like firefox.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I just restored 2 cpus; put firefox back on this one, and put googlechrome on the other one.

As of right now, I'm actually liking google chrome sooooooo much. But I dont know how long that will last, if at all.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Relevent to the security discussion I think...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/hackers-steer-clear-of-google-chrome-say-too-challenging/1334

I assume this is without addons though.
That's really interesting. +1 for Chrome on my part, though I'm still using FF until I'm convinced Chrome's safer. Some hackers at a conference don't account for every single hacker out there, and some hackers persist until they find a bug no matter what. Once some of the dedicated hackers get through, Chrome needs a backup plan (NoScript or something similar would be great). Still though, if hacking Chrome is that hard, then a lot of the common ones will probably steer clear as well and that's a good thing. Once Chrome gets better options for managing cookies, I'll definitely consider it.

Google chrome is the fastest web browser hands down. I could care less about features and crazy addons like firefox.
Firefox has two great security addons and better cookie managing than Chrome. If you're on Windows, Firefox is still the safest. It's anyone's preference, though, as long as IE is out. XD

I just restored 2 cpus; put firefox back on this one, and put googlechrome on the other one.

As of right now, I'm actually liking google chrome sooooooo much. But I dont know how long that will last, if at all.
Chrome is faster and smoother, but FF is safer and has themes that can make it look exactly like Chrome. So I like Chrome too, I'm just waiting to see if it can really surpass FF at the moment. Right now it's getting a lot of attention and it's looking great. :o

Top Bottom