• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Weapon of Choice (BROWSER POLL)

Which web browser do you prefer?

• Apple Safari

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 145 26.3%
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 40 7.3%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 315 57.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • other

Votes: 9 1.6%

• Total voters

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Lol... >70% Firefox. I love it for its amazing configuration options, not to mention two of the best ad eating tools on earth- Ad Block Plus and NoScript. I have to use Chrome on dA though, because for some reason, dA is glitchy on FF.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I've contacted someone on dA's help desk about it and they said that it's because of an FF extension interference. My main problem is that I cannot directly reply to anything on dA in FF- clicking the reply button just makes me jump to the New comment box. The thing is... I have way too many FF extensions, so I will probably have to disable a few at a time and then try things again. But that will take a very, very long time. :p For now, I'm just using Chrome until I can get the time to troubleshoot.

Zip.

Smash Lord
I use Mozilla Firefox more than anything else..so yeah
(i use chrome sometimes.)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I'm using Windows, which is rare these days, I'm using all Chrome.
In Ubuntu, my main OS, I'm using Firefox.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Lately I've been trying out Google Chrome and I have to say its pretty nice.

It seems to run fast and is pretty easy to customize. I've been using Firefox before this and I'm thinking of using Chrome more often.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
I might put up a new thread for the actual programs you can dl off the links I give. PS Cs3/4, Pinnacle, etc lulz....

Should I?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Lately I've been trying out Google Chrome and I have to say its pretty nice.

It seems to run fast and is pretty easy to customize. I've been using Firefox before this and I'm thinking of using Chrome more often.
Does it have addons support yet? Whenever AdBlock (and maybe a Youtube downloader) is available for Chrome I'll probably switch to it if I see it runs faster than FF.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Does it have addons support yet? Whenever AdBlock (and maybe a Youtube downloader) is available for Chrome I'll probably switch to it if I see it runs faster than FF.
In the Beta and Dev versions, YES! It has AdBlock, Youtube Downloaders, and much more at The Extensions Gallery. And yep, it's faster then Firefox.

[SARCASM]It's even faster then IE8![/SARCASM]

Have to say, that graph really shows the difference between how many people use IE, and the number of INTELLIGENT people who use IE.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
In the Beta and Dev versions, YES! It has AdBlock, Youtube Downloaders, and much more at The Extensions Gallery. And yep, it's faster then Firefox.

[SARCASM]It's even faster then IE8![/SARCASM]

Have to say, that graph really shows the difference between how many people use IE, and the number of INTELLIGENT people who use IE.
Chrome's great and all but seriously, Fox has pretty much everything you need and more. On top of that once 3.6/7 (they killed 7) (and esp. 4.0) comes out, complete simple interface redesign plus no restart addons AND seperate tab processes support will make it kill Chrome.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I still am holding tightly to my Firefox 2.
I have Ff3 on my laptop, and it has the same vibe that was present in the whole WinXP --> WinVista thing.

Ironically, my laptop has XP and my tabletop has Vista, not the other way around.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i use opera on linux and mac, i used to use KDE Konqueror but then changed to Opera at the advice of my brother, i fell in love with it.

I am Saddened by the face that people on this forum use internet Exploder, my heart goes out to you.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I still am holding tightly to my Firefox 2.
I have Ff3 on my laptop, and it has the same vibe that was present in the whole WinXP --> WinVista thing.

Ironically, my laptop has XP and my tabletop has Vista, not the other way around.
Interesting. For me, FF2 to FF3 was a lot more like Vista to 7. I know many people who were fans of FF 1.5 but hated FF2.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Firefox is great and all, but it still has a little feeling of being bloated. Really, you can't get faster or more streamlined than Chrome.

Still, the browser market will be getting much more interesting in the next few years. IE will die. That's a matter of when, not if. But who will emerge from this? Firefox or Chrome? And, remember that Mozilla gets most of it's revenue from Google.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
There's NO WAY IE will die. NO WAY.

Oh yes, whenever Microsoft goes bankrupt.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
There's NO WAY IE will die. NO WAY.

Oh yes, whenever Microsoft goes bankrupt.
IE will continue to exist in Microsoft's arsenal, yes. However, as people become more browser-aware, IE will continue to lose market share. Until Microsoft actually does something to compete (by leaping ahead in its implementation of CSS and whatnot), it will continue its death spiral.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Maybe in 100 years. There are lots and LOTS of people with computer these days, and the number is going up as we speak. I'm pretty sure at least 70% of the people who own computers use the default Internet Explorer because they're ignorant of this matter. Anyway, I agree on the fact that they need to step it up and start doing something, hell, didn't they add tabs to IE like, one version ago?

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: I converted my dad to Google Chrome last night because IE wouldn't load certain Flash things, he asked me what I used, I said chrome and he is now using it. Take that IE!

CHROME FOR ALL!! :]

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Maybe in 100 years. There are lots and LOTS of people with computer these days, and the number is going up as we speak. I'm pretty sure at least 70% of the people who own computers use the default Internet Explorer because they're ignorant of this matter. Anyway, I agree on the fact that they need to step it up and start doing something, hell, didn't they add tabs to IE like, one version ago?
But that's my point: IE is less often the default browser. Microsoft is being forced to offer the user a choice of which browser he/she wants. I believe the European edition of Windows is this way.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
But that's my point: IE is less often the default browser. Microsoft is being forced to offer the user a choice of which browser he/she wants. I believe the European edition of Windows is this way.
Really? What do they offer besides IE?

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
I just updated to the newest Firefox 3 .... I still don't like this. There are so many little differences that annoy me.

So I ask two things: Is there a way to make new tabs always go to the end of the tab bar, and not next to the page I'm on when I click something?
Also is there a way to reduce the scrolling speed? FF3 has double the speed that 2 had.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Chrome's great and all but seriously, Fox has pretty much everything you need and more. On top of that once 3.6/7 (they killed 7) (and esp. 4.0) comes out, complete simple interface redesign plus no restart addons AND seperate tab processes support will make it kill Chrome.
Chrome Checklist:
Simple Interface: CHECK!
No restart for extensions: CHECK!
Each tab is it's own process: CECK!

So firefox will kill chrome with features that chrome already has??

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I just updated to the newest Firefox 3 .... I still don't like this. There are so many little differences that annoy me.

So I ask two things: Is there a way to make new tabs always go to the end of the tab bar, and not next to the page I'm on when I click something?
Also is there a way to reduce the scrolling speed? FF3 has double the speed that 2 had.
There are several addons that have advanced tab controls. Some include Tab Mix Plus, Tab Kit, Tab King, and Tab Control. I use Tab Mix Plus, only because it's the only addon that lets you have close buttons on hovering over a tab, but for general features any one of them would probably do fine.

SmoothScroller is an addon that has scrolling controls. You can speed it up or slow it down to your liking. :)

Chrome.

Mainly because it came on this laptop, and I haven't gotten Firefox yet. But I like Chrome a lot too.
Chrome is great, but be sure to try FF before you make up your mind. ;)

Chrome Checklist:
Simple Interface: CHECK!
No restart for extensions: CHECK!
Each tab is it's own process: CECK!

So firefox will kill chrome with features that chrome already has??

FF will kill Chrome with features that Chrome doesn't have, such as better cookie management and many, many more addons. Not to mention FF is much safer because of AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Also, anything you submit on Chrome automatically becomes Google's property (not very nice if you use dA or just like owning what you put on the internet).
Edit: There is actually a way to get AdBlock + on Chrome, but the last time I tried that it involved implementing some kind of code. As far as ease of use goes, FF is best, but technically it is possible for Chrome to have AB+.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
Well, you go to the extensions gallery, click on AdBlock+, and click install. No restart required. NoScript is also on Chrome I believe. And anything you submit is not googles property. In very early releases it was, but not any more.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Well, you go to the extensions gallery, click on AdBlock+, and click install. No restart required. NoScript is also on Chrome I believe. And anything you submit is not googles property. In very early releases it was, but not any more.
Ok, so they did update the AB+. I wasn't aware that they had. And I see, I'm so glad they changed that policy then.
I already checked to see if NoScript was on Chrome recently, but I didn't find anything as of now. I do believe it's in the works though.

Either way, as long as Chrome still doesn't have good cookie control and doesn't have at least the two basic safety addons that I use (and would definitely recommend), I won't be picking up Chrome. Not to say that it's not a good browser, though. It's definitely one of the best, but FF beats it out as far as customization and safety goes at the moment. Knowing Google though, I have high hopes for Chrome.

Top Bottom