• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improved Sonic Footstool Combo

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Marko, no you cannot tech the lock at any point. DI is the only way to save yourself from it.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I was trying it out tonight, I couldn't really get it going. I had a nasty one in teams, but it was the only one i was able to pull off.

It was on a ROB, that ****ing stupid *** character. I paused the game after and screamed "RECOVER FROM THAT MOTHER ****ER".

ROB is gay
Still feeling the sting I take it...

samper

Smash Cadet
Even if your opponent does get good at escaping the lock via DI/smash DI/whatever it's called, its still a set up for the rather hard to hit with Fsmash. So if you can land it on them at 90%+ (which I assume it works at) its 9% or so damage from the set up, then maybe 4% if you only do two jabs followed by a (hopefully) lethal Fsmash. So even if you can't get a 30%+ damage jab lock you can still get an easy Fsmash so that seems worth it to me.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I was trying it out tonight, I couldn't really get it going. I had a nasty one in teams, but it was the only one i was able to pull off.

It was on a ROB, that ****ing stupid *** character. I paused the game after and screamed "RECOVER FROM THAT MOTHER ****ER".

ROB is gay

I second that. I hate ROB with a burning passion.

I love the improved jab lock combo, it's simply amazing. Very nice find. Way to go.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Lol I'll never be able to leave this board, and I sold Brawl D;

Ack, of course when I stop playing, something that makes Sonic amazing is discovered.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman

ROB is gay
I agree... I agree... I can never record stuff against KITO's ROB 'casue its super defensive, campy and heavy (the 2 stock matches lasts 5:00 mins). I don't loose often against it, but is annoying.

Anthinus, to answer your question, you spin dash, spin dash jump, foot stool, up-b, dair, aerial.
Thanks dude :)

I tested this stuff. Is useful and easy to do depending on the character... Against Mario, G&W, Ganny, (others) you just do the stuff. Against Marth, (others) you have to reverse your Up B or you'll can't jab lock after dair. Against Samus I could do it just once, When I FSJ she falls slowly and the spring hits her before reaching the floor... If I wait a bit after FSJ and let fall the spring, I hit her on floor with Dair... And If I wait a bit before Dair she stands up...

I think we have to test timing for different characters...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Ack, of course when I stop playing, something that makes Sonic amazing is discovered.
Oh ye of little faith. YE BE BURNIN' IN DAMNATION NOW AIN'T YE?
-.-

I tested this stuff. Is useful and easy to do depending on the character... Against Mario, G&W, Ganny, (others) you just do the stuff. Against Marth, (others) you have to reverse your Up B or you'll can't jab lock after dair. Against Samus I could do it just once, When I FSJ she falls slowly and the spring hits her before reaching the floor... If I wait a bit after FSJ and let fall the spring, I hit her on floor with Dair... And If I wait a bit before Dair she stands up...

I think we have to test timing for different characters...
Hooray for more character-by-character testing of very tedious stuff >.<
Anyways, it's ok to hit her with the dair because even if you can't jab lock you can still get a free aerial in afterwards. All said and done, that's going to be at least 35 damage you just did which is nice considering you finish the true combo with the momentum still very heavily in your favor (thus allowing for non-true comboing).

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
and if they SDI toward you?

Sonic's first jab moves forward, so it closes the distance until they actually get behind you.

Or is it possible to pivot and jab with little lag?
You could also just turn around and jab when they land behind you, instead of being lazy and buffering your jabs during a jab lock.

And you guys should know that it's possible to control the direction that you set the jab lock in by changing the timing on the dair. If you delay both the up B and the dair a little bit each, you can land behind most characters when setting up the jab lock (without breaking the combo). This is character specific of course, since with some characters you already land behind them with the dair, and others then you don't have enough time to delay it and land behind them.

I think we should just make a list of characters that require you to reverse up B during this. And we can even have a second list of which direction you'd be setting the jab lock in on different characters (foward or backwards, so that you know which side of your opponent you'd want to be on before trying to set this up.)

I've been working on a list like this. But if you wait for me you won't have your list until next week (FAST1 takes priority over list making). But I'll still be working on it if nobody else wants to do it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
landing direction is based on their DI and placement from the spring.

Also, it seems there's an upper limit for this combo.

at around 30% or so, the spring will actually SAVE them from a jab lock (think the "stun" animation from Nana's F-air at 0%)

:[

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
So, I just spent about 2-3 hours practicing this. I can do it semi-consistently now when just doing it, but I'm having a harder time landing it in actual matches (just doing it against a lvl 9 CPU in training mode, since they dodge outta everything ASAP). It'll take some practice, and it's not a HOMG game-breaker for Sonic, but if you can land it once a match, it gives you about 40-50%, and sets up for some very nice edgeguarding. End it with a charged dsmash, srsly.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I guess if you take into account the d-smash is faster to charge it might actually become a better option damage and knock-back wise for finishing your jab-lock.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I agree with Izzy on the Down Smash.

That move is too good, and underrated. It's not being used the way Sonic was designed. I still find it hard to believe that only .00000000001% of Sonic players are starting to understand how this stupid character is played.

Browny

Smash Hater
downsmash > landing lag from an airdodge, thats about all i use it for, and it works practically every time.

Tenki

Smash Hero
meh, I started picking up on this again since I'm transitioning to offline play (;D more people to play with IRL at uni)

So, playing with my brother, I got him in a wall jab lock and he SDI'd behind me ;__;

Anyway, do you guys usually use single-jab walks for jab lock, or do you do double jabs?

`.`; I'm still working on it, but I think you might be able to pull double jabs off.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
So that no one would ever learn that Sonic has potential... we must keep this secret locked away... deep within the bowels of the earth...

Which is to say I have no idea.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yes, exactly.

Ophelia lost a tourney and quit maining Sonic

Tenki

Smash Hero
@new people:

Anthinus, to answer your question, you spin dash, spin dash jump, foot stool, up-b, dair, aerial.
It starts from there.

The original combo was side-B>footstool>fast fall N-air, and it was revised to that, which turned out to be inescapable if performed correctly under 30% on most characters.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
nothing extra that you try to learn now, will do you any good, because you wont have enuff mastery over it to use it against competitive opponents.

BTW, try to get vids of at least some of your matches, i want to see how good you really are, i just hope your brawl skill is better than your typing of the english language. i want to see your kirby and yoru sonic

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
its actually really not that hard once your get the timing down.

the only real issue is the spring timing, cause depending on where the spring hits them you have to change the direction of your spring/dair

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
well, yes and no

you want the spring to hit them during their bounce after hitting the ground and move them in the direction your facing.

the way the lock works is extending the hit stun during that bounce, so you want to use the spring as though it where essentially the first hit of the jab.
it makes things a lot easier to make the spring hit them in the direction your already traveling, but its possible to change directions. it's just really tricky

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hm, could you potentially use the spring midway through the jab lock? Like, jab them one way across the screen, spring them, dair to the other side, and them jab them back the other way? I think that'd be funny...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hm, could you potentially use the spring midway through the jab lock? Like, jab them one way across the screen, spring them, dair to the other side, and them jab them back the other way? I think that'd be funny...
Funny=Yes
Awesome=Yes
Possible=?
If it is Possible=HARD and probably impossible to pull off at high level competitive gameplay..

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Cama, at that point in the lock, if you can use it against a noob it'd be no different than using it against a pro. That's the entire idea of a lock.

Once again... I am unable to actually test this... which makes me feel worthless. But I am actually beginning to think it'd be somewhat feasible.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No.

One of the reasons why I never really put time to learn this before was because of this limit:

Around 30% and higher (eh, different for each char, but something like that), a spring will put them in the "ow" inescapable "stun" phase (like Dedede's d-throw, or Sonic's tipped D-tilt, Nana F-air under 40%... etc). So if you hit them with a spring after say, 25%, the spring will actually save them from the jab lock.

But hey, free 40 damage doesn't sound too bad `.`;

Top Bottom