• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm not racist. I stereotype - it's faster."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man one time we were at a chemistry seminar, and a black dude walked like 30 minutes in the lunch break to buy some chicken.

I was like maaaaaaaaaaan way not to live up to the stereotype and he was like **** it I like chicken.

And tbh, fried chicken is amazing and watermelon is my favourite fruit so as far as I'm concerned black people know where it's at with food.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Brown man would say mangoes are better.

Rubicon mango lawl.

§witch

Smash Lord
nobody is calling me a racist. im not saying racist things. and im not a ****. y do u keep posting in this thread?
Your Dad is. You've said that like eighty times. How do you know you're not a ****? That could be many different words, and there's no way you aren't one of them.

I'm still posting because you're still an imbecile.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tbh though, a lot of black people love chicken and have big lips.

A lot of white people are elitist or racist or both and pretend not to be, to the point where they even believe their own lies.

A lot of indian people smell of curry, because herp derp, a lot of indian people eat curry. Speaking of which, us westerners apparently stink of milk to the japanese. But milk doesn't smell! I don't notice it! Same for indians I guess lol.

A lot of slavic people drink like fish.

A lot of japanese people are xenophobic.

A lot of chinese people are good at mathematics.

I said all those things and I believe them because as much as you may pretend it's somehow offensive to say them, they are all true pretty much.
"A lot of ____ people ____" depending on the context is different from "_____ people like ____." Or, considering the original statement this blog is centered on: "I saw a ____ person coming out of Target. All he had was a ______." There is no punchline to that joke except the cliche.

Also, this discussion is different from an American perspective than a British one. Our own history of racial violence means that certain words and ideas will trigger reactions specific to us. Think of it like German society's views on Nazism. Slavery is America's own Nazi shadow, something that hangs on the collective consciousness.

Also, consider some of the observations/generalizations you mentioned and where they come from. "A lot of Chinese people are good at mathematics," for one. China is a big country, and it isn't necessarily true that Chinese people are more disproportionally good at math than people in any other industrializing society. What is more likely to be true is that the government controlled academic curriculum emphasizes math more than other subjects, and the students who get selected to travel outside of the country have to be good at math in order to study overseas. These Chinese students are the Chinese people that foreigners are probably most used to seeing and interacting with, which gives foreigners the impression that a lot of Chinese are good at math. But that observation is dependent on where you are in the world. If you were in China, you might not say that Chinese people are good at math.

The stereotype of the Ugly American is another example. Americans are characterized outside of their country as rich and lazy, and that makes sense if you consider that it takes money to travel, so only Americans who can afford to travel can be tourists in other countries. So the world isn't going to see a lot of poor or working-class Americans.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Everyone loves chicken.

Back when I used to play World of Warcraft, my guild was mostly Australian and they would always call us Americans "fat yanks" every time one of us would mess up.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Your Dad is. You've said that like eighty times. How do you know you're not a ****? That could be many different words, and there's no way you aren't one of them.

I'm still posting because you're still an imbecile.
I am aware i am not a **** because im not an imbecile. i have no idea how u concluded that.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey it's getting a little too heated here.

Damn it it's always Switch's fault for being such an old man.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
First World War was actually caused by an invasion which sparked a bunch of alliance treaties being activated forcing all the major countries to go to war.

WW2 was actually caused by the invasion of Poland but I guess that would be racism to some since Hitler hated slavs, although I dunno if anti slavic bias is racism since they're caucasian like Germans thus not making it racism but rather bigotry.

Uhuh

Aren't I smart?

StarFruit

Smash Cadet
@cash- tbh it really depends on the context of when and how the stereotype is used. if you use a stereotype to someone of an opposite race as an insult...they have the right to pull the race card and beat the crap out of you. If you're just joking with friends however (like I do all the time) it's different. Racism is a cause for war and global catastrphes but it's also a domestic and dramatic matter that makes people hate (troll in the smash community) eachother. Using stereotypes on the boards is dangerous. No one can really tell how serious u are. Just be careful with it. Don't hate what u ain't bruh

:phone:

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
First World War was actually caused by an invasion which sparked a bunch of alliance treaties being activated forcing all the major countries to go to war.

WW2 was actually caused by the invasion of Poland but I guess that would be racism to some since Hitler hated slavs, although I dunno if anti slavic bias is racism since they're caucasian like Germans thus not making it racism but rather bigotry.

Uhuh

Aren't I smart?
yes, teran is smart.

Oh and cash racism caused the holocaust... Not world wars

:phone:
nationalism > imperialism > nationalism > racism > imperialism.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Brown man would say mangoes are better.

Rubicon mango lawl.
lol brown man. (Some Asians don't like mangoes because they don't like to get their hands messy. They're not my friends.)

------

I think all this racism malarky could be sorted if people grew a little empathy and used some common sense. Everybody stereotypes a little bit in their head. The difference is the way we act on them and how we voice those stereotypes.

e.g. I have no problem with people making racist jokes against me as long as I know they aren't being ignorant - it's not funny if you're a stranger, I think you're being serious and you imply something negative about me. This generally means you have to be my friend or a brown person to make such jokes. Otherwise, I'm going to assume you're being racist.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
[yt]fzMZxTAMDcU[/yt]

Best advert in history.

§witch

Smash Lord
I am aware i am not a **** because im not an imbecile. i have no idea how u concluded that.
I'm fine with you stereotyping. I don't give a ****. What I'm not okay with is you being an idiot. Making stereotypical jokes and then coming here and asking why people think you're racist is beyond moronic. You're still a ****.

Hey it's getting a little too heated here.

Damn it it's always Switch's fault for being such an old man.
I can't deal with stupid :(

let's try to guess what race switch is
White as ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtqqMchhUkw

********** won't embed

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I'm fine with you stereotyping. I don't give a ****. What I'm not okay with is you being an idiot. Making stereotypical jokes and then coming here and asking why people think you're racist is beyond moronic. You're still a ****.
it was a friendly debate, and i only complain how ppl dont know the difference.
still, i do agree with SuperBowser. every1 stereotypes, it just matters how u express it or not.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
just like to say lol to racism causing the two world wars, just no. that may be a tiny tiny TINY bit true. but i am going to say thats wrong.

racism: yea american heritage dictonary defines it...but that doesn't help most people or at least me. People should look past these stupid bodies that define us by color, height, and even weight. we should instead focus on the ideas presented by people, as my professor from madison said how ideas are stronger then us human beings. we should focus on people with the smarts so we can do better as a human race and...omg, ummmm sorry. went off topic. racism is dumb

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
is all good. but still, racsim is a huge part of nationalism. pride of one's country, race even, is what propelled germany to it's imperialistic state.

Totally off topic, but completely relevant.

Solid, I think you have the most creative username I have ever seen on smashboards.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Creativity is a side effect of being a flamboyant ******. Be average SOLID! :mad:

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I've got a friend who doesn't mind me nicknaming him ***** But I wouldn't say it to anyone who wasn't my *****, and you should know when someone is your ***** and when someone isn't your *****.

If they're a friend they'll let you know how it makes them feel when you use it, and if you don't know them personally enough to even guess whether it may offend them or not, well, it should be pretty obvious on whether or not you use the word. Just be good to the people you care about and be decent to the rest.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Nice OP. People need to get educated. I've been called racist my whole life by my ignorant peers. I learned how to ignore their ignorance and just call them stupid. Not to mention people are too sensitive these days.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Nice OP. People need to get educated. I've been called racist my whole life by my ignorant peers. I learned how to ignore their ignorance and just call them stupid. Not to mention people are too sensitive these days.
thanks. but i just dont say anything anymore. people r just too stupid to understand the difference.

Yep, because calling people stupid helps things.
well if they dont know that they r stupid...

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
"Ignore him. You're talking about the OP" says my conscience.

It's funny when someone claims something is racist when it isn't, but I think the principal of the matter is that you offended them. Racism or stereotypical, one person will take something like a grain of salt, and another person will want to hurt you.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
"Ignore him. You're talking about the OP" says my conscience.

It's funny when someone claims something is racist when it isn't, but I think the principal of the matter is that you offended them. Racism or stereotypical, one person will take something like a grain of salt, and another person will want to hurt you.
Why the **** would you put my name at the end of your post if you weren't responding to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom