• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm not racist. I stereotype - it's faster."

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=4437]"I'm not racist. I stereotype - it's faster."[/drupal]

after hearing this quote George Clooney in Up in the Air, it got me thinking. Stereotypes vs Racism. They are often interchangeably used, but they do not mean the same thing.

What bugs me, is people who do not know the difference and yell at me for being racist. I am NOT racist but stereotypical. Let's look at the differences.

Racist - Almost everybody is racist at some point in their lives. But what does it actually mean? If you are racist, it means that you believe that your race is superior to another or possibly all races. Racism was one of the factors that caused both World Wars. Racism is also a key in Nationalism, but we won't go into that...

Stereotypical - Common stereotypes include "dumb blondes," "all black people eat watermelon," "all Jews are cheap," "all white people are liars," etc. While stereotypes may not be 'nice', most of the time, they are true. Stereotypes encompass the habits and/or actions of a race or group of people and assume that all of those people do this. While not ALL blondes are dumb, there is still a nugget of truth in the stereotype.

Recently I posted this on Facebook: "I went to Target today and saw a black man walking out. All he was carrying was a watermelon."

Was that racist?? Of course not! I'm not even technically being stereotypical! I was merely making an observation. I didn't even relay the stereotype that say "most blacks eat watermelon." When my dad saw this, since he didn't know the difference between stereotypes and being racist, lectured me about how we are supposed to act in this world.

Maybe I stepped out of line (I don't think so. -_-), maybe I didn't. But it doesn't matter. Stereotypes are a part of life, so I'd like everyone to please know the difference! They will not always be "morally or politically correct". Hell, half the time they are not. But please know; just because we stereotype, it does NOT mean we are racist.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
lol solid. ur funny :p

it just bothers me that i could get shot for saying that a black guy likes watermelon because he may not understand that im not offending him.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well, you can't really tell someone that you're not offending them, if they're offended that's on their end, regardless of your intentions.

Also, that situation wouldn't happen, I wouldn't be too worried. I know what you mean though, honestly people do take things way too seriously sometimes. I've noticed that, as a general rule, black people say things about white people that no one makes a big deal about but then when something of the same 'magnitude' of offensiveness is directed at them, it becomes a big issue. Not saying it's true for everyone, but it's just something I've noticed based on my experiences.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Well, you can't really tell someone that you're not offending them, if they're offended that's on their end, regardless of your intentions.

Also, that situation wouldn't happen, I wouldn't be too worried. I know what you mean though, honestly people do take things way too seriously sometimes. I've noticed that, as a general rule, black people say things about white people that no one makes a big deal about but then when something of the same 'magnitude' of offensiveness is directed at them, it becomes a big issue. Not saying it's true for everyone, but it's just something I've noticed based on my experiences.
^ This <>- -<>

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
i agree. it seems that among other things, there r many double standards...

ex. black person to black person, "hey n-word" "what's up"
white person to black person, "hey n-word" "what did u say mother ****er?"
Well, that's a different, and not what I was referring to. An example to my point would be something along the lines of a black person calling a white person a cracker vs a white person calling a black person the n-word.

well in my opinion stereotypes are like making a line of best fit for a bunch of data: it may not always be right (either factually or politically) but most of the time it is. That's not to say stereotypes are endorsed; solid has a point when he says that even if you had good intentions, getting offended is their end of the interaction, and there isn't much you can do about it. You could try to reason with them, but yeah.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Well, that's a different, and not what I was referring to. An example to my point would be something along the lines of a black person calling a white person a cracker vs a white person calling a black person the n-word.
i know what u meant. i was just pointing out another stupid double standard...

well in my opinion stereotypes are like making a line of best fit for a bunch of data: it may not always be right (either factually or politically) but most of the time it is. That's not to say stereotypes are endorsed; solid has a point when he says that even if you had good intentions, getting offended is their end of the interaction, and there isn't much you can do about it. You could try to reason with them, but yeah.
true. i believe that most stereotypes r true when referring to the majority of people.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
true. i believe that most stereotypes r true when referring to the majority of people.
Well that's the problem: even if it's true for some, like Indigo Jeans (calling you that feels weird bruh) said, it's a line of best fit, and doesn't apply to everyone. So if you say, for example, all black people like watermelon, then this statement in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but its the idea that you're lumping people together and assuming that this statement (or line of best fit) fits everyone in the group that people find offensive.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Well that's the problem: even if it's true for some, like Indigo Jeans (calling you that feels weird bruh) said, it's a line of best fit, and doesn't apply to everyone. So if you say, for example, all black people like watermelon, then this statement in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but its the idea that you're lumping people together and assuming that this statement (or line of best fit) fits everyone in the group that people find offensive.
i agree. it wont apply to every1. some may be offensive, politically incorrect etc, but it's NOT the same as being racist. that's what im trying to show ppl. racism and stereotyping is NOT 1 in the same thing.

like Indigo Jeans (calling you that feels weird bruh)
Lolwhy? Call me whatever you'd like bruh

But yeah, my advice would be to not go around throwing out stereotypes. That's not to say you do, but I'm trying to make a point here. Use them if you're sure the person/people won't take it in an offensive manner, or if you don't mind offending people. I also suggest you try and reason with your dad. Just so that you two can see eye-to-eye.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Lolwhy? Call me whatever you'd like bruh

But yeah, my advice would be to not go around throwing out stereotypes. That's not to say you do, but I'm trying to make a point here. Use them if you're sure the person/people won't take it in an offensive manner, or if you don't mind offending people. I also suggest you try and reason with your dad. Just so that you two can see eye-to-eye.
i tried. he wont budge. his exact words: "as soon as u mentioned that he was black, u were basically calling him a ******." i wasnt saying that at all.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Stereotypes don't come out of thin air.

Also they're very convenient, applying generalisations and stereotypes is way more efficient than gong face by face. Assume stereotype is true until an individual proves otherwise in their specific case.

Maybe not be ideal but then what in life is?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Stereotyping is a useful tool, and we all do it. The thing that you have to be aware of is that certain stereotypes (maybe even most) serve racial ideology. Take the watermelon one for example:

(in case you don't know what Sambo means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(racial_term))

So yeah, when you say "Black people like watermelon," you are saying something offensive because that stereotype is rooted in racial supremacy ideology. And besides, EVERYONE likes watermelon because it's great.

Like I said, stereotyping can be useful. This is why we wear dress clothes to job interviews, to at least give the illusion that we're serious and competent. Just be aware of what you're saying.

Also, make sure you're stereotypes are behaviors that you've actually observed, and not just repetitions of things you've heard other people say. Otherwise, that is racism/sexism/various other "isms".

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Recently I posted this on Facebook: "I went to Target today and saw a black man walking out. All he was carrying was a watermelon."
If race had nothing to do with that comment, then what is the punchline? What makes it funny? I see lots of people walking out of stores with fruit. I don't post about all of them.

i agree. it seems that among other things, there r many double standards...

ex. black person to black person, "hey n-word" "what's up"
white person to black person, "hey n-word" "what did u say mother ****er?"
In order to know how to use words like that in a friendly context, you first have to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it.

Minorities use offensive language within their own communities as a joke. It's only funny because of the irony. But when a white person calls a black person the n-word, there's no irony. It's played straight (with a few exceptions). That's why it's racist.

I find it funny when white people use the n-word on each other though.

But I'm always surprised at how many white people want to be able to use the n-word on black people. I just never understood why. You're not missing out on anything except an ***-beatin'. :reverse:

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
To be honest. I think cracker is more offensive than the N word.

Crackers aren't even white.

The N word actually derives from a latin word that means black.

People need to learn how to stop letting their past affect their present. We are not the ones who tortured their ancestors. The ones who did are dead. I've noticed alot of blacks trying to use their past as an escape-goat to win fights, arguments, and control. I believe this is the most insulting of them all.

Unlike racism, these people still exist at a notable level. I don't see people complaining about them. Knowing how they use their past to earn their respect, they should be shunned by everybody.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Was that racist?? Of course not!
Ahahahahahahahahahaha

I have this perpetually pregnant girl added on my Facebook for this very reason. Here's a recent incomprehensible gem of her's:

"Well simply put I TRUST NO ONE except my closet ppl! **** a hoe,*****,****, what ever title u Wanna put on r self nd especially srry *** *****s!! Yall r dead to me! Haha i swear life jus keeps gettin better nd better =]"

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow my post was completely retardedly worded what was I even on?

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
If race had nothing to do with that comment, then what is the punchline? What makes it funny? I see lots of people walking out of stores with fruit. I don't post about all of them.

In order to know how to use words like that in a friendly context, you first have to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of it.

Minorities use offensive language within their own communities as a joke. It's only funny because of the irony. But when a white person calls a black person the n-word, there's no irony. It's played straight (with a few exceptions). That's why it's racist.

I find it funny when white people use the n-word on each other though.

But I'm always surprised at how many white people want to be able to use the n-word on black people. I just never understood why. You're not missing out on anything except an ***-beatin'. :reverse:
i know.. but it's still a ******** double standard.

People need to learn how to stop letting their past affect their present. We are not the ones who tortured their ancestors. The ones who did are dead. I've noticed alot of blacks trying to use their past as an escape-goat to win fights, arguments, and control. I believe this is the most insulting of them all.

Unlike racism, these people still exist at a notable level. I don't see people complaining about them. Knowing how they use their past to earn their respect, they should be shunned by everybody.
im in Latin 3. :troll: I would know haha

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

I have this perpetually pregnant girl added on my Facebook for this very reason. Here's a recent incomprehensible gem of her's:

"Well simply put I TRUST NO ONE except my closet ppl! **** a hoe,*****,****, what ever title u Wanna put on r self nd especially srry *** *****s!! Yall r dead to me! Haha i swear life jus keeps gettin better nd better =]"
do i remind u of a pregnant girl? :o

Hell yeah. I like me some watermelon.
totally honest here: i ****ing love watermelon

Wow my post was completely retardedly worded what was I even on?
OD on watermelon?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Stereotypical - "all black people eat watermelon,"
Fixed. Because let's be honest: If you don't like watermelon (unless you are somehow allergic), something is seriously wrong with you.

The same thing goes for KFC.

I told a black friend of mine I went to go get my family a bucket of KFC and I saw a Mexican family of about 9 with three buckets of KFC. He thought I assumed he liked KFC because he was black. He was wrong. I assumed he liked KFC because he was human.
(and American)
Of course, KFC is also probably why most of us Americans have big bellies. Why couldn't KFC be as healthy and as minimally fattening as watermelon?
:urg:

Was that racist?? Of course not! I'm not even technically being stereotypical! I was merely making an observation. I didn't even relay the stereotype that say "most blacks eat watermelon." When my dad saw this, since he didn't know the difference between stereotypes and being racist, lectured me about how we are supposed to act in this world.

Maybe I stepped out of line (I don't think so. -_-), maybe I didn't. But it doesn't matter. Stereotypes are a part of life, so I'd like everyone to please know the difference! They will not always be "morally or politically correct". Hell, half the time they are not. But please know; just because we stereotype, it does NOT mean we are racist.
Well that's why you don't post those jokes on the internet. People can't know how you mean it, said or, or would say in just words. Your personality doesn't fully come out in words. It's comes out with a face to face meeting. If you told this story to a friend who was black and showed him the post and asked him which was more offensive, he'd say the latter because your body language, expressions, and tongue-in-cheek humor doesn't get through so well with just words.

However, I also feel bad for people who are generalized by stereotypes who don't fit those stereotypes. Plus being the token *enter race here* kid sucks. I used to be the token white kid in grade school, so I kinda know what it's like. Trust me, it does not feel "normal," it makes you always consciously out of the loop, and having it being reminded it to you by strangers does not feel good (at all). Just something to consider.

On the flip side though, I love it when people are the opposite of stereotypes more than anything. My neighbors next door are immigrants from Iran, and they really fit the Iranian "terrorist" stereotype (and to a lesser extent, the "all Muslims are terrorist" stereotype). Their whole family only drive all-American vehicles, own a pure American cheeseburger joint, and celebrate every American holiday by giving all the neighbors homemade super duper chocolate on chocolate chocolate cookies. (best. cookies. EVER! I just got hungry, and miss those cookies! :c :()

"Well, for once the rich white man is in control!" -Mr. Burns, the Simpsons Movie. Yes, this quote is always appropriate. :cool:

drsusredfish

Smash Ace

You're right. Crackers aren't white they're tan. Also "white" people aren't white. likewise "Black" people aren't black. Their is no such thing as a black or white humam being. Every healthy human is just a shade of brown with tints of red.

Its easy to forget a past when you aren'tthe victim. slavery lasted for like 400 years. jim cro ended maybe about 50 years ago so the past isn't that far gone and many people that talk about that past can still feel those influences. Mind you this doesn't apply to everyone, so people just want an excuse for the way they are, but some off the people who do mention the past are justified.

Stereotypes don't come out of thin air.

Also they're very convenient, applying generalisations and stereotypes is way more efficient than gong face by face. Assume stereotype is true until an individual proves otherwise in their specific case.

Maybe not be ideal but then what in life is?
they don't have to prove their case, you have to find evidence that the stereotype applies to them. I do understand what you're saying about generalizations though. Studies can show what particular groups like what and it is easy to just assume those studies apply to everyone in that group but but until you know the person pre-judgement on them can be offensive.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Mmm interesting read. I wouldn't think all stereotypes are negative though. While Nino's thoughts on stereotypes based on past racism is very valid (see: that sambo picture thing), some stereotypes are based on pure observation. By the way, I'm agreeing with you Nino - I can't possibly know what black stereotypes based on past racial experiences would be like.

However I'm asian and I typically don't get offended by asian stereotypes.
I eat rice almost every day and I do have storage bags of rice in my closet.
I love math and it was my easiest course. Conversely, I hate social studies and history related topics.
I have seen a restaurant in Viet Nam that serves dog meat. It's not really a negative stereotype. It's just than we're attached to our pets and can't imagine eating them, haha. I'd eat a dog or cat as long as it tastes good.
I absolutely get infuriated when a person walks in my apartment with their shoes on. Ironically, I had another asian stomp all over my carpet :mad:
There's a stereotype that all asian are good at games. I find this interesting as a lot of the top players aren't even asian... well depending on the game? Koreans have Star Craft 2 and stuff. Top brawl players aren't asian.
Etc. Also, while not stereotypical almost 99% of people I meet for the first time can guess my last name based on my race - Vietnamese :)

Anyways, different people will react in different ways. I can't speak for other races, but I'm not at all offended by asian stereotype, even if I don't know you personally. I love watermelons too. They make me pee a lot though. Probably cause their so juicy :D

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Obviously some stereotypes r offensive, and im not necessarily saying i agree with them. It just makes me cringe when somebody confuses stereotypes with racism, unless they r actually trying to be racist. Then i just ignore them.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
People need to learn how to stop letting their past affect their present. We are not the ones who tortured their ancestors. The ones who did are dead.
You say this as if you think black people think otherwise. Everybody knows that the people who owned slaves in the times before the civil war are dead. Nobody thinks they are still alive. All you're doing by saying something like this is stating the obvious, or using a straw man argument that implies that you somehow understand a black persons view on racism and are fit to speak on behalf of all black people.

You know what is still alive today? People who say things like:

Unlike racism, these people still exist at a notable level.
Did you know that white people have been saying this for over a hundred years? :rolleyes:
It's really getting old. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't there. Racism towards black people exists and it is still unbelievably strong.

Black people are less likely to be hired or payed the same as white people.
Black people fill the prison system even though white people commit more crimes.
Drug offenders in the prison system are mostly black, even though white people use more (and more dangerous) drugs.

Then of course you have the media bias and the way black people are portrayed...just look at what happened in New Orleans. All hell breaks loose, the city is destroyed and there are thousands and thousands of displaced people...one of the biggest humanitarian emergencies the country has ever seen. What's the media focusing on? Some black people looting. Then, of course, an order was given to the New Orleans police to shoot looters....

But you know...this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go into great detail on this subject but hopefully I don't have to. The fact is, racism is institutionalized and still very much a problem, and one of the worst possible things a white person can do in regards to improving race relations is act as though racism is far gone mentality from a long forgotten time period...cause it isn't. For many, racism and discrimination is a reality they have to deal with every day.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
You say this as if you think black people think otherwise. Everybody knows that the people who owned slaves in the times before the civil war are dead. Nobody thinks they are still alive. All you're doing by saying something like this is stating the obvious, or using a straw man argument that implies that you somehow understand a black persons view on racism and are fit to speak on behalf of all black people.

You know what is still alive today? People who say things like:

Did you know that white people have been saying this for over a hundred years? :rolleyes:
It's really getting old. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't there. Racism towards black people exists and it is still unbelievably strong.

Black people are less likely to be hired or payed the same as white people.
Black people fill the prison system even though white people commit more crimes.
Drug offenders in the prison system are mostly black, even though white people use more (and more dangerous) drugs.

Then of course you have the media bias and the way black people are portrayed...just look at what happened in New Orleans. All hell breaks loose, the city is destroyed and there are thousands and thousands of displaced people...one of the biggest humanitarian emergencies the country has ever seen. What's the media focusing on? Some black people looting. Then, of course, an order was given to the New Orleans police to shoot looters....

But you know...this is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go into great detail on this subject but hopefully I don't have to. The fact is, racism is institutionalized and still very much a problem, and one of the worst possible things a white person can do in regards to improving race relations is act as though racism is far gone mentality from a long forgotten time period...cause it isn't. For many, racism and discrimination is a reality they have to deal with every day.
I know racism exists. It just cannot compete with all of the whiners that fill this world, and their petty ways for gaining their twisted wishes for being accepted. These whiners don't just range from people complaining about their history in the past, it goes for emos, downer debbies, all of those stereotypes that will bring you down with more drama than what you could ever begin to fathom. I know there is alot of **** going on, but you see more of this whining BS than racism anyday. There are more people crying over racism by over reacting at stupid levels, and making annoying sob stories just for attention than genuine racism. It's the fact that there are blacks who use their past for an escape-goat that I am disgusted at. Anyways, if you are going to respond to me with a bit of aggression towards my views, atleast do a better job in supporting your ideas, and actually understand where I am getting at. Just curious, are you black? You probably already know why I am asking this. I don't care. :c

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
my dad of all people should know that i'm not racist.
I think it's more a matter of him being concerned about how you present yourself to other people. Growing up, my mother never liked me or my brother throwing out phrases like, "I'ma kill you!" Not because she thought we would actually kill each other, but because she didn't like us acting crass or using offensive language as a joke.

However I'm asian and I typically don't get offended by asian stereotypes.
I can think of at least one stereotype that might offend you. :bee:

I know racism exists. It just cannot compete with all of the whiners that fill this world, and their petty ways for gaining their twisted wishes for being accepted.
I get what you mean in that we should be doing more to tackle real problems rather than complaining about a person's choice of words. But on the other hand, real problems are difficult to solve, and it seems easier to ask people to be considerate in the meantime. What do people lose, really, in not using the n-word?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom