• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'm not racist. I stereotype - it's faster."

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
What? That has nothing to do with what I said.
im just trying to let u know that im posting any of these stupid ssb4 threads, etc. :c

I'm black, and I do love watermelon, chicken, and grape drink. That said, one should avoid drawing attention to negative stereotypes, because they are insulting to some, and generalky not worth mentioning.

:phone:
this is true, but one will take it as one will take it.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nino's bro: ...sort of like exploding watermelons in China.
Nino: Is that some kind of secret weapon developed against black people?
Bro: Wow. DUDE. That's racist. Even for me.
Nino: No, no...there's this thread...online...on a video game forum...I was just...
Bro: Yeah, whatever. Way to be offensive, man.
Nino: It's not like that...

Thanks, UB. Now my own brother thinks I'm a racist. :c

Moral of the story: Provide your own context, or the world will provide it for you.

Browny

Smash Hater
damn straight @ OP

Apparently its wrong for me to say that black people like watermelon. Therefore shouldnt the same apply to people saying that australians like vegemite?

The key thing that people like your dad seem to ignore is 'vilificiation'. Me saying that black people like watermelon isnt bad, watermelon is awesome whats the problem with liking it? It's when you attach that stereotype to something bad, then its an issue. If for example, people who ate Watermelon had a tendency to start pub fights and beat up their wife, yeah then you might have a problem when you lump them all together.

This was probably already said but I cbf reading this huge thread lol. Anyway, not being able to make a perfectly innocent, 100% factual statement about a distinct group of people while not generalising the entire race, is completely ****ing ********. By the way, this entire post is also aimed at the racist UCLA girl who as Ive said from the start, didnt make a single racial vilifying slur, she merely stated the facts. If anything she said was racist, then anyone who ever said that Australian's like vegemite is equally as racist.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Saying that Australians like Vegemite has more to do with nationality than race, so I'm not sure if it's racist..
If you were to say that all aboriginal Australian people like Vegemite, then it would definitely be a better example of a racist comment.

A problem I have with the "Black people like watermelon" comment is that it's dishonest, because everyone likes watermelon...right? The statement might be 100% factual but that doesn't make it innocent.

So...you walk into a room and see a black person and a white person eating watermelon. When you leave the room, your friend asks what was in it. If all you said "There was a black person eating watermelon", you wouldn't be lying, but you wouldn't be telling the whole truth. You would be purposely leaving something out in order to single out one of the individuals based on race. Sure, not telling your friend the whole truth doesn't really hurt anyone directly, but isn't it sort of dishonest and pointless to leave a big portion of the story out?

Browny

Smash Hater
Again, the key factor people miss out is the vilification of such a statement.

You cant simply lump a generalisation like 'all aboriginal australians like vegemite' into the same category as something offensive. If i was aboriginal and someone told me that all aboriginals liked vegemite im pretty sure id just smile and nod, theres NOTHING wrong with it.

Browny

Smash Hater
So 'singling someone out' is now the same as an offensive statement?

At what stage in your example have you or your friend made a judgement of the person with the watermelon?

I dont get it at all. If racism in this world was limited to mocking people because they have a tendency to like a particular food 'lol all asians like rice OMG racist!', then it would be a much happier place. Fried chicken and watermelon are merely stereotypes to me, no different to saying that all europeans like soccer. its completely harmless.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm sorry but making generalisations about a race's culinary habits isn't racist. I mean, all black people like chicken, it may not be true but like seriously, how is that offensive? Is liking chicken some sort of insult nowadays?

I mean unless you're calling them cannibals or you deride the culinary habits while you make the comment, it is not racist at all because last I heard, saying someone likes a certain food is no indication that you hate them unconditionally.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
some1 liking chicken IS NOT racist. ppl r just so stupid that if u said all black ppl like chicken, and they were indeed black, might take offense at what u said, thinking it's racist.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
rac·ism

 /ˈreɪ
sɪz
əm/ Show Spelled[rey-siz-uh
m]

noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

John, explain to me how saying black people like watermelon goes along with any of the above.

john!

Smash Hero
rac·ism

 /ˈreɪ
sɪz
əm/ Show Spelled[rey-siz-uh
m]

noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

John, explain to me how saying black people like watermelon goes along with any of the above.
"black people like watermelon" is a belief in an inherent cultural difference between races

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I like my definition better, Matt.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You have such boyish handwriting. xD

Oh by the way the answer was taxonomy.

"black people like watermelon" is a belief in an inherent cultural difference between races

Yes but if you don't believe that difference makes them inferior then you aren't being racist.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Actually, this is my handwriting.

It's still bad, though hahaha.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
The definition is that this inherent cultural difference DETERMINES ACHIEVEMENT. Read the whole definition, please.

I like my definition better, Matt.

Also completely valid.

Actually, this is my handwriting.

It's still bad, though hahaha.
Better than mine haha. Also that essay is awesome.

You have such boyish handwriting. xD

Oh by the way the answer was taxonomy.
Taxonomy more like taxidermy.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
**** my science degree.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
And yeah I knew the real answer, but I do enjoy being a smartass and doing stuff like this.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I don't see the point in arguing over the dictionary definition of racism. Being stereotypical might not OFFICIALLY be considered racist, but does that really matter? I don't think it does at all. Just because something doesn't fit the dictionary definition of racist doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

How is saying that all black people like chicken offensive? A few years ago, I was around a girl a lot who thought that me being black was the most HILARIOUS thing ever. When she would introduce me to her friends, she would say "OH HE'S BLACK BY THE WAY". If I ever ate chicken, she would say "HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOUR BLACK". If I ever listened to rap, or mentioned that I liked a rap song..."HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOU'RE BLACK". If I would order brown rice instead of white rice in a burrito..."HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOU'RE BLACK".

It gets tiresome really quick. It's not fun to be constantly told by people that the reason you are the way you are is because of your race. It's insulting and no amount of "well it's not TECHNICALLY RACIST ACCORDING TO THE DICTIONARY!" will change that.

Browny

Smash Hater
I don't see the point in arguing over the dictionary definition of racism. Being stereotypical might not OFFICIALLY be considered racist, but does that really matter? I don't think it does at all. Just because something doesn't fit the dictionary definition of racist doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

How is saying that all black people like chicken offensive? A few years ago, I was around a girl a lot who thought that me being black was the most HILARIOUS thing ever. When she would introduce me to her friends, she would say "OH HE'S BLACK BY THE WAY". If I ever ate chicken, she would say "HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOUR BLACK". If I ever listened to rap, or mentioned that I liked a rap song..."HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOU'RE BLACK". If I would order brown rice instead of white rice in a burrito..."HAHA IT'S CAUSE YOU'RE BLACK".

It gets tiresome really quick. It's not fun to be constantly told by people that the reason you are the way you are is because of your race. It's insulting and no amount of "well it's not TECHNICALLY RACIST ACCORDING TO THE DICTIONARY!" will change that.
pretty sure that girl is a stupid ****wit

oh and racist

if you happened to like chicken and rap music, and she merely said to her friends something along the lines of 'he likes chicken and rap music' and left it at that, thats not racist. there is no hate. if there was hate or prejudice as a result of this, the only people it would come from would be her friends, she didnt do anything wrong. they can either be like 'ok' or if they made a comment about 'its coz youre black etc' then thats racist.

such a big difference man.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Lol it can get slightly tiresome I agree but tbh you just have to grow thicker skin.

I'm gay I deal with an endless onslaught of stuff, like all my friends listen to say Lady Gaga and I don't, and they'll be like WHAT BUT YOU'RE GAY and for example I like some song because it's catchy and haha it's cause I'm gay obv, I mean I don't really mind it it's to be expected, not to mention I get constant reminders in pretty much any situation.

"Hey would you **** that boy? That one? That one?"
"Hey bro you're a ***got how am I looking tonight, looking good? Will girls come after me?"
"What's it like to swallow?"

I mean I've been dealt a hand in life and instead of complaining about the minorly stupid things that come with it I like to worry about things that actually matter.

Actually that's a lie I don't worry about anything but that's not really a good thing LOL.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Lol it can get slightly tiresome I agree but tbh you just have to grow thicker skin.

I'm gay I deal with an endless onslaught of stuff, like all my friends listen to say Lady Gaga and I don't, and they'll be like WHAT BUT YOU'RE GAY and for example I like some song because it's catchy and haha it's cause I'm gay obv, I mean I don't really mind it it's to be expected, not to mention I get constant reminders in pretty much any situation.

"Hey would you **** that boy? That one? That one?"
"Hey bro you're a ***got how am I looking tonight, looking good? Will girls come after me?"
"What's it like to swallow?"

I mean I've been dealt a hand in life and instead of complaining about the minorly stupid things that come with it I like to worry about things that actually matter.

Actually that's a lie I don't worry about anything but that's not really a good thing LOL.
I don't worry about it, I just don't hang around people like that anymore.

It's great that you don't get bothered by constant comments like that, but that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the comments. Even if they aren't offensive to you, they're still often childish, ignorant, seriously lacking in humor and most of all they are a huge waste of time...plus then you run the risk of people thinking it's okay and saying ridiculous things when they are acting a fool.

Ever heard somebody say, after making a rude comment, "Well I have lots of ______ friends and they don't care when I say stuff like that"? As if they have somehow escaped all responsibility for their behavior because somebody else, somewhere else, doesn't mind if they say certain things.

What you allow is what you teach ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom