• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a girl who wants to get competitive.

Quests

Smash Rookie
since theres only three girls that i know of that play at a high level i think it matters if you are a girl

so please don't tell her that it doesn't matter

the amount of attention she will get will be almost overwhelming.
lol

considering she's already calling attention to the very possibility of attention, i am doubtful she will be "overwhelmed," but whatever.

maian

Smash Apprentice
yea I uploaded some pics guyz check up on my myspace I posted the link in the chat lounge!! xD ^-^;;

Well, not quite. As for my "gaming age", I've been gaming ever since I can remember. I believe I started playing at age...three, when we had an NES. I played SMB like it was nobody's business. I never actually owned a SNES until I was 11 or something, but I played all the time on my cousin's. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few that plays so much?

technomancer

Smash Champion
You guys all fail so unbelievably hard, see the rules of the internet, specifically #1 and #2, then gb2ytmnd

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
question, why did you put "IMA GIRL" in the subject line...is that supposted to be the subject of conversation in the thread? no i thought you wanted help through the competitive scene, but its become very apparent you want attention.

you didnt need to state your gender in the subject line, i dont ever do that, and i dont know anyone else who does.

whatever, i gotta feed my cat i cant be worryin about this

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Well, welcome to smashboards. Just don't be discouraged if you do bad on your first tourney. Train hard and hang in there. Well, hope you enjoy your stay here.:chuckle:

MattyBoi

Smash Rookie
I'm just going to be starting in my first tourney on March 1st. So we're both going to be getting on the competitive scene around the same time :p.

As for the subject here, being a girl or being a guy doesn't matter at all. It's your dedication and perseverance that will help you get better and better. As a professional video game tester (or was anyway, I just got promoted to project manager about 3 weeks ago... yay! ^_^) , I can tell you that there are gamer girls out there. Of course, there are less, but there are some.

The only reason you don't find as many good female gamers/smashers out there is because female gamers are fewer. There is literally about 1 female tester for every 15~20 males at work just to give you an idea. BUT, those that girls can be just as good if not better then guys. Don't let people put you down and just keep on going and practicing and surely someday you'll be able to kick a few of the immature *****s' ***** that can't believe a girl to be any good.

Good luck to you and welcome to smash boards and the competitive scene! ;)

P.S.: I've known a girl nicknamed Kiwii in another game before, what's this player's real name, does anybody know? And if not, does she live in Australia, PM me if you have an answer for me. Thank you!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
**** Or Gtfo
March 15th, son. yayuhz

Anyway, stop giving this chick attention. This is why dudes roleplay chicks in WoW. Cause they get free ****, all the **** time. Pretend you got boobs, and kablam, got your flying mount.

If some random smasher came and made a thread, it'd be locked, because he didn't go to the newcomers place first. I'm not saying I hate the TC, but these threads are just annoying.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If some random smasher came and made a thread, it'd be locked, because he didn't go to the newcomers place first. I'm not saying I hate the TC, but these threads are just annoying.
That, or the fact that this is somewhat of a discussion about how being a different sex can actually affect your smash progress. Which, as I hope you recognize, wouldn't make sense if a guy posted it.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
Serious question:

Is it harder being a female gamer because it's tough to see the controller when you look down?

Thxinadvancebye.

-GK

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Hi, so I've been playing Smash since the N64 era, and I want to start getting into the competitive scene now that Brawl is debuting. I've actually been considering it for awhile. I always find myself using random advanced techs during play, and think I could get better through tournaments. I probably would've done it by now, but I figured I'd just wait until Brawl, as Melee's time is coming.

So, here's a few questions:

Is it uncommon to find girls in the competitive scene? Do you believe they can be as good? XD

This is relative to areas, but how big are tournaments, usually? How often can you find them?

How much is prize money, typically? Is there a range of smaller to bigger tournaments that offer different results?

Thanks to anyone who answers!
1. Yes.
2. Tournaments at this point are one of the few reasons I stay on smashboards. Come a few months down the line, people whining will cease and the community will probably go back to the way it was. Y'know... intelligent. But this all depends. Regardless, tourney atmosphere for any game is a really great experience.
3. Differs per tournament. It'll be stated on the boards though.

4. Your welcome.

Boxob

Smash Champion
It also helps to be hot, you know, to distract your opponents.

But seriously. It shouldn't be any different for you trying to compete as it is for every one else.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
This thread is starting to get pointless~

The questions have been answered so let this thread die instead of posting unrelated stuff like whether this person's even a girl or not.

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Nice irrelevant comment.

And how are you going to guarantee that Brawl will develop into something competitive? Nobody can really give an answer on that until the game's been thoroughly played through within the next 6~12 months.

But we'll see. It's still far too early in this game's lifetime to say something like that. For all we know, it could go either way.
How can you guarantee that a majority of the people dislike brawl when a lot of them haven't even played it yet?

kiwiii

Smash Lord
sorry but this thread is dumb. what does being a girl have to do with anything? if you genuinely wanna be good, nothing should be able to stop you.

ps: making threads like this has attention ***** plastered all over it, just saying

Shin^

Smash Rookie
Nice, there should be more girls playing.
Im a girl and I go to every tournament i can afford.
Good luck I really hope you 'll do well.

Foxy

Smash Master
I was impressed that the OP joined in 2002. Brawlies just got owned.

Anyways, my sister has played Melee with me constantly since release, and she would be quite competitive right now except that right when I began growing into the competitive scene, she diverged into other interests.

She still is big into video games though, beat me to 70 in WoW, still smashes, and she could easily start being competitive.

So for your questions:

1. Nope, there aren't very many girls in the competitive scene at all. Really. I'm inclined to say that most girls cannot be as capable as guys at games like smash because unlike the males, they usually haven't grown up with as much gaming to give them the skills they need. However, in the same circumstances, girls are just as capable as guys, if not more.
2. Depends on your region, like you said. Some areas, like SoCal, have a lot of small tourneys going on at colleges or just in the area and you can probably find many to attend. However, somewhere like NC where I live rarely ever has tourneys. There are a few big ones that can reach upwards of 200 players in attendance but you'd probably have to go way out of state for them.
3. Prize money in small tourneys can be anywhere from $10 to $100. As stated before, the prize money for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes are taken from the pot of entrance fees. Therefore, the more players that attend, the bigger the prizes are. The large tourneys can reach the thousands for top finishes. For example, one of the largest tournaments this year handed out $5,000 to first place.

Finally, I don't see any problem if you broadcast the fact that you're female, because many people find it interesting and it's good to know that some girls are interested in smashing. As long as you're friendly and sensible people should rarely judge you or treat you differently based on sex. Just enjoy yourself and try to have fun at any tournaments you end up attending.

Good luck,
Foxy

wakka444

Smash Ace
Hi, so I've been playing Smash since the N64 era, and I want to start getting into the competitive scene now that Brawl is debuting. I've actually been considering it for awhile. I always find myself using random advanced techs during play, and think I could get better through tournaments. I probably would've done it by now, but I figured I'd just wait until Brawl, as Melee's time is coming.

Is it uncommon to find girls in the competitive scene? Do you believe they can be as good? XD

This is relative to areas, but how big are tournaments, usually? How often can you find them?

How much is prize money, typically? Is there a range of smaller to bigger tournaments that offer different results?

It isnt nearly as uncommon to see female gamers like it used to be and at my first tourney match i got beat by girl player(peach>.<) and the girl smashers are really interesting bc of a completely different mental game they play compared to most guys.

Tourneys really depend on the area youre at and how willing you are to travel but thats usually easy bc every1 is pretty cool about car pooling.

Prize money is bigger with bigger tournaments of course, both big and small are fun but like others said watch entry fees....im sure most of what i said was repeated already goodluck^_^

slashinroy32

Smash Cadet
people should respect girl smashers cause its innately harder for them to get better at the game cause its harder to play while in a kitchen

g-regulate

Smash Hero
dont listen to kiwii, shes just jealous.

by the way...... im g-reg, im kind of a "big deal" around here. whats up?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
sorry but this thread is dumb. what does being a girl have to do with anything? if you genuinely wanna be good, nothing should be able to stop you.

ps: making threads like this has attention ***** plastered all over it, just saying
It's not irony, it's a coincidence!

dont listen to kiwii, shes just jealous.

by the way...... im g-reg, im kind of a "big deal" around here. whats up?
Big deal. get it? <3

Zoro

Smash Champion

Girls have the same fingers Its not a big deal

Knowing how to play melee competitively really helps
Its not that hard of a transition

Florida is like infested with female smashers.
Marin is the best female smasher
melee or brawl
period

Miharu

Smash Hero
How can you guarantee that a majority of the people dislike brawl when a lot of them haven't even played it yet?
At least quote the right post.

People need to get off her *****; honestly it shouldn't matter to you what her gender is; just play the ****ing game.

Finally, I don't see any problem if you broadcast the fact that you're female, because many people find it interesting and it's good to know that some girls are interested in smashing. As long as you're friendly and sensible people should rarely judge you or treat you differently based on sex. Just enjoy yourself and try to have fun at any tournaments you end up attending.
Welcome to the internet. Little children on the internet will have one of the following reactions:

1. Harass and degrade you for being female.
2. Accuse you of being a guy.
3. Ignore you.

Some people will treat you normally, but they're in the minority. But unfortunately, the ******* out there will treat you differently just because you said that you're a girl.

So don't bother until you at least get to know those people a bit better.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
...what the heck?
-SilentDrifterZ
Dear SilentDrifterZ,

Allow me to explain.

My question, "Is it harder being a female gamer because it's tough to see the controller when you look down?" was designed to mock the topic creator for asking a stupid question like "do you think girls can be as competitive" ... because the answer is obvious. Of course they can. Truly the only disadvantage I could think of for a female gamer would be if her boobs were so large she couldn't see the controller when she looked down (which, in itself, is slightly tongue-in-cheek because if she had big enough boobs, she probably wouldn't need to play games and post on gaming forums to get attention from boys).

Even THAT would only be a problem if she, like me, watched the controller while playing, not the screen, and played Smash by sense of smell.

In short, there is no *real* disadvantage whatsoever to being a girl gamer, and no reason a girl gamer should be treated any differently from a guy gamer, so this topic was clearly pointless attention-whoring.

I stated "serious question" in the same way I would state "This thread was relevant, necessary, thought-provoking, and not at all attention-whorish." Speaking plainly, so I don't lose you again, I meant the exact opposite of what I typed. It's the internet. Sometimes it throws ya for a loop, watch out.

Thank you kindly for your interest in my reply to someone else's post.

Your friend,
-GiantKiller

Top Bottom