• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a girl who wants to get competitive.

maian

Smash Apprentice
Hi, so I've been playing Smash since the N64 era, and I want to start getting into the competitive scene now that Brawl is debuting. I've actually been considering it for awhile. I always find myself using random advanced techs during play, and think I could get better through tournaments. I probably would've done it by now, but I figured I'd just wait until Brawl, as Melee's time is coming.

So, here's a few questions:

Is it uncommon to find girls in the competitive scene? Do you believe they can be as good? XD

This is relative to areas, but how big are tournaments, usually? How often can you find them?

How much is prize money, typically? Is there a range of smaller to bigger tournaments that offer different results?

Thanks to anyone who answers!

darklinkjr

Smash Cadet
Well in Quake4, there is this player that kicks everyones a$$.
her name is Gumby. i think its a funny name. and just owns everyone.

so ive seen some competetive girls.

but most importantly if i really get my groove goin on. I obliterate everyone in my way. and *%()&#$ everyone up. :D

lol j/k about the last part.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Hi, so I've been playing Smash since the N64 era, and I want to start getting into the competitive scene now that Brawl is debuting. I've actually been considering it for awhile. I always find myself using random advanced techs during play, and think I could get better through tournaments. I probably would've done it by now, but I figured I'd just wait until Brawl, as Melee's time is coming.

Is it uncommon to find girls in the competitive scene? Do you believe they can be as good? XD
More guys play video games, so there's naturally more of them on the competitive scene. If more girls played, and devoted as much time as some guys did to games, then there's not too much stopping them from competing at an equally high level.

This is relative to areas, but how big are tournaments, usually? How often can you find them?
They can range anywhere from 10 person smashfests to events that are well over 200~300 people (FC, Pound, MLGs, etc).

How much is prize money, typically? Is there a range of smaller to bigger tournaments that offer different results?

For smaller tournies, the prize money is just a percentage of the pot for 1/2/3. For larger tourneys, a portion of the entry fee is used to pay for the venue and other details, but the concept is generally the same.

It's an interesting time that you chose to start playing competitively though, since we're undergoing a huge transition from Melee to Brawl. But that way, you can also contribute something yourself :D

Welcome to the Smash community, if I may say so.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
From what I've noticed, the prize money isn't nearly as much compared to a game like Halo or Counter Strike.
Of course I think girls can be as good. My girlfriend is just getting started on video games, and I've been impressed with her progress so far. My reaction time will probably remain better than hers, but she has very nimble hands. I know Guitar Hero is a different type of game, but she can play very comfortably on hard and she has played maybe 3 or 4 hours total.

I want to become competitive too, so we are in the same boat. I think it boils down to our willingness to practice, and go to tournaments. Down here in Texas I have to wade through an hour of traffic all the way to Dallas to get to a tournament, so I hope your situation is better there.

Also, just some advice. Just because you are a girl, don't feel out of place at a tournament. You are simply a person that likes video games. Don't let them give you preferential treatment for being a girl, and don't let them treat you like a sub-par gamer because you are a girl. I'd be insulted if they did either to my girlfriend, so you shouldn't let them treat you differently either.

NeoHippie41

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaikuWarrior
Wait, why is the transition from Melee to Brawl, an interesting time to start playing competitively? I'm planning on trying to get into the tourney scene too as soon as Brawl releases here. I thought this would be the best time to enter as everyone will be making the adaption to Brawl together, so I could get in right at the start?

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread. I'm a guy BTW.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman

I only know of 3 competitive girl fighters and they are: kiwi, rapid assassin and milktea. Sure why not

well you should try checking out this section http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

This definitely depends on size, and if your just now entering tournaments it may take awhile to actually win some tournaments
Your welcome

Miharu

Smash Hero
Wait, why is the transition from Melee to Brawl, an interesting time to start playing competitively? I'm planning on trying to get into the tourney scene too as soon as Brawl releases here. I thought this would be the best time to enter as everyone will be making the adaption to Brawl together, so I could get in right at the start?

Sorry to somewhat hijack this thread. I'm a guy BTW.
The community's going to be split, one way or another.

A lot of people hate Brawl with a passion.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Once Brawl evolves and more advance techniques form, melee will then start to become extinct
Nice irrelevant comment.

And how are you going to guarantee that Brawl will develop into something competitive? Nobody can really give an answer on that until the game's been thoroughly played through within the next 6~12 months.

But we'll see. It's still far too early in this game's lifetime to say something like that. For all we know, it could go either way.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Being a girl shouldn't make a bit of difference when trying to be competitive. Just try hard like everyone else.

Also, why do you use a smaller font than everyone else? I can't imagine going out of your way to make your text smaller... especially because it could only make it harder to read, not easier. And while I'm on that topic -- to the guy who had the green font, its also kind of hard to read. It doesn't change what you say, or even how you say it, so why...?

edit-- the guy who uses the green font is Jash, an awesome young link player. But its still hard to read. -.-'

maian

Smash Apprentice
its sad that you have to pretend to be a girl to get attention on the internet
I'm not a girl? This is news to me.

Well, another question: Are there any good websites to figure out where and when upcoming local tournaments are?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Regional Zones.

Also, don't bother broadcasting the fact that you're a girl. Most people either don't care, or they'll go out of their way to harass you for it.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
yo you should pm kiwii

shes a top female smasher and iv seen her grow into a great player.

she could prob give you some great advice

pm her

maian

Smash Apprentice
Advice taken, Hydro Kirby. Okay, I'll look around, see what tournaments are going on, and in the meantime, practice. >.< Thanks for the advice from everyone, and feel free to add anything.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
The tourny i just went to last month had 3 females there...i think only one played though =/

Its not impossible to find competitve female smash players there just far and few.

I know of female smashers tehre just not competitve.

you should give competitive smashing a try..go to a few tournies and such when brawl comes out and kick some male butt! haha

theTofuG0d

Smash Cadet
I'm not a girl? This is news to me.

Well, another question: Are there any good websites to figure out where and when upcoming local tournaments are?
A guy I met that scouts all the time in the Houston Area is planning to make this huge site I believe regarding Smash tournys and the such, he said he already reserved all this stuff and told me it would be out in maybe a month? I'll keep watch for it.

Down here in Texas I have to wade through an hour of traffic all the way to Dallas to get to a tournament, so I hope your situation is better there.
I hear there's a tourny at Caesar's house this Saturday, maybe you'd like to come?

-Tofu

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
LOLOLOL Girls being good at things other than shopping and painting nails...roflmao!! This is funny.

I'm joking of course. Funny though ^_^ lolzor

Oh and also **** or gtfo... *_*

mario-man

Smash Lord
its sad that you have to pretend to be a girl to get attention on the internet
LOL sure

for you sir, 3 internets

Also, my girlfriend is awesome at the game, she beat Mew2King on Final Destination with no items and fox only.
LOL again. I bet....what's her tag/username

Yeah, of course you can be just as competetive. In fact, you might be able to do better since alot of people might think that you couldn't, then you can prove them wrong. LOL

As long as Brawl turns into a competetive game, I hope to see you at some tournament whooping a bunch of guys' butts. LOL maybe even mine, though not if I have anything to do with it, which I do

Rampage

vx
Here's the thing. Girls can be just as competitive It's just they can't commit themselves like us guys can. They just don't really care all that much since games don't really matter all that much to them. So yes, girls can be just as good, maybe better, but finding someone like that is kinda like finding jesus.

Jun.

Smash Lord
its hard for girls to catch on to the gaming mentality that most guys have grown since they were like 6. unless of course the girl has been playing since the guys started. In that case, gg guys lets go play with dolls or something to even out the playing field

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
sorry maian for crashman's comment. what happens alot is that stupid guys who are bored go and impersonate girls so sometimes people are a little suspicious when theres a new "HEY IMA FEMALE SMASHER!!" thread.

if ur tryna get competitive for brawl nows the perfect timing because you dont have the band habits from melee like wavedashing and l-canceling. good luck.

Miharu

Smash Hero
sorry maian for crashman's comment. what happens alot is that stupid guys who are bored go and impersonate girls so sometimes people are a little suspicious when theres a new "HEY IMA FEMALE SMASHER!!" thread.

if ur tryna get competitive for brawl nows the perfect timing because you dont have the band habits from melee like wavedashing and l-canceling. good luck.
rofl you're apologizing for crashman

it's called internet sarcasm/apathy

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Oh god, not another topic like this.

It doesn't matter if you're female or not.

Just do what you want you love. If you focus only on the fact that you're a female, then all the people around you will do just the same, and treat you unfairly or differently. Just play the game.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
since theres only three girls that i know of that play at a high level i think it matters if you are a girl

so please don't tell her that it doesn't matter

the amount of attention she will get will be almost overwhelming.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman

1. that kind of thing depends on where it is
2. it depends, and you find them on smash boards "regional zones"
3. dont know!

theres a smash tourney in Centereach, long island-new york, the day before brawl comes out, its my first tourney, and last one.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
The last time I checked, I was a girl.

Most guys don't treat me any different, but a few seem a little immature. That is until you beat them. The look on their face is priceless after that.

ChuDat

Smash Master

do you have myspace ? LMFAO jk

There is a girl who is pretty good in the competitive scene. Her name is Kiwii, u might find her posting in the atlantic north forum of the tournamnet discussion area.

Tournaments are 20-40 people.

You shouldn't worry about prize money, just worry about the entrance fee.

your welcome

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
LOLOLOL Girls being good at things other than shopping and painting nails...roflmao!! This is funny.

I'm joking of course. Funny though ^_^ lolzor

Oh and also **** or gtfo... *_*
oh my god...

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yes girls can be just as good at the game, and no its not very common to find girls that play it, I've met one girl that was good at the game, but not that good. but there no reason that you shouldnt try it.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
Video games is one of the few things girls can be as good as guys...

Im not trying to be a **** but its true

Top Bottom