• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Met a girl today at my workplace. Of course she wasn't Muslim, but she was my age, worked out, looked cute, and then...

Started joking around about the whole "In Soviet Russia..." followed by how she bought a PS3 and has Skyrim and the Jak and Daxter collection.

This whole time, I'm like "Who is this girl? She's awesome" lol. Even told off a Xbox Fanboy about how 360s get RRODs and only have FPS lmao.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Met a girl today at my workplace. Of course she wasn't Muslim, but she was my age, worked out, looked cute, and then...

Started joking around about the whole "In Soviet Russia..." followed by how she bought a PS3 and has Skyrim and the Jak and Daxter collection.

This whole time, I'm like "Who is this girl? She's awesome" lol. Even told off a Xbox Fanboy about how 360s get RRODs and only have FPS lmao.
meh system elitists
Where's the PC player to drop the mods/variety bomb on em both *laughs* along with how both systems get their own RROD/YLOD variants

Still, grats on the pick-ups you two..... who's next.. ussi?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
meh system elitists
Where's the PC player to drop the mods/variety bomb on em both *laughs* along with how both systems get their own RROD/YLOD variants

Still, grats on the pick-ups you two..... who's next.. ussi?
Nope, me this time

Just got asked to join into a hotel (for an anime con) by a girl ive been chatting to for a while. checked the details and its just us 2
awwwwwwwww
yeeeeeeeaaaaaa
Also got told by UK's resident female smasher that I'm the only attractive one these days. feeling pretty good

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

Interfaith relationships are very rocky. I'll just give you that caution as my advice.

I've actually meant quite a few muslims into anime which surprised me. All little girls though (12) so that doesn't amount to much.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Interfaith relationships are very rocky. I'll just give you that caution as my advice.
When I was still a Christian, I had a relationship with an atheist girl.
It stretched and opened my mind quite a bit, and I'm glad it happened.

I've actually meant quite a few muslims into anime which surprised me. All little girls though (12) so that doesn't amount to much.
Only 5 more years... (or probably 6 in your state-- unsure)

Nope, me this time

Just got asked to join into a hotel (for an anime con) by a girl ive been chatting to for a while. checked the details and its just us 2
awwwwwwwww
yeeeeeeeaaaaaa
Also got told by UK's resident female smasher that I'm the only attractive one these days. feeling pretty good
Darn right, son! CHICK PICK-UP WEEK AT THE IKE BOARDS.
EVERYONE GET IN ON THIS.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not gonna say interfaith doesn't work, but when there are conflicting ideals... that tends to cause problems specifically with raising children or someone is going to be losing/weakening thier faith.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Considering the stereotype you've built yourself, This had so much potential

Darn right, son! CHICK PICK-UP WEEK AT THE IKE BOARDS.
EVERYONE GET IN ON THIS.
Damn straight.
jesus christ this university is so confusing, I got redirected like 10 times before giving up and finding it by myself >.<

I'm not gonna say interfaith doesn't work, but when there are conflicting ideals... that tends to cause problems specifically with raising children or someone is going to be losing/weakening thier faith.
I personally think that a child should be presented with all of the worlds beliefs and then decide what they think for themselves, so in that regard interfaith could pay divedends
Just my 2 pence on the subject. I'm a baptist church christian, which is about the closest thing you can get to an athiest without actually being one so my view is going to be different and not necessary correct either.
We need to find Ussi a nice islamic lady so he can join in on the week :B

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I believe raising children into any faith without giving them a choice between literally everything in the world is... not optimal.
Some call it losing faith. Some call it opening their minds or simply seeing an alternative they never really KNEW they could consider before.

I'm biased, though, I guess. I don't care much about religion on the whole anymore. I don't care what religion a significant other follows as long as I don't get pushed into it and it doesn't affect me negatively.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Kids don't decide anything, they are the biggest sheep in society. Its why peer pressure is so prevalent at that young age. Also why parents need to be the best role models for their kids

Kids will want to be like their parents first, if their parents live the lives they want their kids to have, then the kid will most likely grow up with the parent's faith willingly. This is were the interfaith clashes, as the kid won't know who to follow.. (unless the kid doesn't mind showing favoritism to one parent)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Kids don't decide anything, they are the biggest sheep in society.
This is exactly why any religion is still alive, in my opinion. Even without trying, parents and community members shape beliefs, thoughts, and feelings. Just by example or words, if nothing else.

Teach kids logic and whatnot first.
Of course, tell them ABOUT different religions, but don't raise them into one or seem biased on any one.
When they're old enough, they'll decide.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This now just goes straight into parenting. A parent has to instill values into a child (manners, morals, etc), and well a parent will instill the values he or she follows.

If a parent doesn't do that, there will be clashes when the child is a teenager and wants to do thinks the parent doesn't want to allow

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Manners and morals can be taught apart from religion. And that's what I plan to do.

I will educate any kids I have as well as I can on religion, and encourage them to learn about religions themselves.

But the morals I will teach them? Be good people, for the sake of PEOPLE.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
But the morals I will teach them? Be good people, for the sake of PEOPLE.
send this straight to the bible belt!
I go with this too although Sometimes using religious beliefs is a coping method for parents who need help disciplining children. Like the whole 'If you dont behave that man over there is going to come over here and take those crayons from you' is used when a parents isnt strong enough to do it themselves

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You are still teaching kids your values first

And that's to be expected, a child can't take in all the knowledge from religions (and aethism if the belief of no god doesn't count as a "religion", its a form of faith still) and decide something right away. So the child grows up with 1 set of values before learning the rest

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
You are still teaching kids your values first
I will teach them how to be good people. Just like anyone else.
I may say that I don't think there is a god. But I won't say that I'm right. I won't say that I know it.
And I won't ever mix religion (or lack thereof) and morals. Religion will be a more or less objective thing, completely set aside from morals. I won't ever act like I'm a good person BECAUSE there's no god or anything. And I won't ever say that people with a god are any beter or worse.
I just don't understand why, to teach the same morals I would, most other people need to make kids believe ancient stories.
I will teach my future kids all the best in morals, because it's important they're good people. I will leave the origin of the universe and stories of miracles to them.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm not saying your values are wrong. i agree teaching them not to be arrogant and to strive to learn on their own are two things people forget.

Nowadays its all about good grades = how good you are. Knowledge is just to get power to people, people aren't doing it for the sake of knowledge.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

I do not even plan on dating her. I'm not stupid. I'm just waiting to get arranged marriage to some hot millionaire in another country (duh) -face palm-

Far as this whole teaching kids values separate from religion...let me give you the example that always comes to mind.

If you as the parents go to Church every Sunday, and have decided to let your child have an "open mind" into deciding what they want, it's going to heavily conflict as a child's need for wanting to be like their parents. You can't teach logic to a 4 year old, they aren't ready for that. However, if you let them know, even when they are 10-15 that they can decide on their own, imagine you leaving for any religious event and leaving them at home. If anything, that can just cause fractures in the relationship and I see it going one of three ways.

1. The child gets it one day and makes his own decision (ideal)
2. The child learns to resent his parents for excluding him, thus making him grow less closer.
3. The child decides to tag along and learns to accept his faith (ideal for religious people)

And while the uneducated aethiest seem to believe that religion is the root of all evil, pain, deaths, etc. etc, religion when taught right can also be the root of a person being a good human being. A narrow minded non-believer is just as bad as a narrow minded believer.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@Bored I was saying it because there are many interfaith marriages that have happened and those are the stories i've heard about them. And since it does happen i just was taking the safety route of saying something.

@Mr Doom, 2 hours of salt, nice

Heartstring

Smash Legend
And while the uneducated aethiest seem to believe that religion is the root of all evil, pain, deaths, etc. etc, religion when taught right can also be the root of a person being a good human being. A narrow minded non-believer is just as bad as a narrow minded believer.
This would be the one thing that irritates me the most, I mean for the most part I am not a religious man and i generally dont like the idea. But In its raw form, its doing absolutely no harm
plus christianity essentially saved my aunt from schizophrenia. so it clearly cant be bad

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@Bored
That's an interesting point, however I believe you cannot avoid the possibility of there being a fracture of this kind, whatever your decision regarding the matter is. What if you took your child with you instead of letting him decide (at an age around 10-15) ?

It could also lead to different scenarios, such as

1. The child goes along, accepts his faith and is also thankful to his parent for "introducing" him to God.
2. The child goes unwillingly to the church, and resents his parent for forcing him. It might or might not influence his spiritual beliefs, although I suppose it would hinder them.
3. The child goes to the church because his parents won't let him do otherwise, and even though he doesn't totally reject the idea, he never really "believes", but instead just goes with the flow. He still has good relations and grows close to his parents.

It's very interesting to see you guys debate about this, because I know religion is way more important in the USA than it is in europe/france.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
In france you guys put a ban on public display of religon in school.

Seems like France cares about having an imagine of no religion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Edit: Which video? I figure they are all old. Thanks for the compliment though.

@Bored
That's an interesting point, however I believe you cannot avoid the possibility of there being a fracture of this kind, whatever your decision regarding the matter is. What if you took your child with you instead of letting him decide (at an age around 10-15) ?

It could also lead to different scenarios, such as

1. The child goes along, accepts his faith and is also thankful to his parent for "introducing" him to God.
2. The child goes unwillingly to the church, and resents his parent for forcing him. It might or might not influence his spiritual beliefs, although I suppose it would hinder them.
3. The child goes to the church because his parents won't let him do otherwise, and even though he doesn't totally reject the idea, he never really "believes", but instead just goes with the flow. He still has good relations and grows close to his parents.

It's very interesting to see you guys debate about this, because I know religion is way more important in the USA than it is in europe/france.
The problem is, the scenario I showed was that of an "open minded" parent. So when a child refuses to go to church, it's because the child himself does not want too. A forcing parent makes them a bit narrow minded in their actions, whereas one who lets them do whatever they want would be considered "open minded".

So once again, assuming these are open minded religious individuals, if a child does go with his parents, he's not going to resent them as much as if a parent who chooses to EXCLUDE him from their own faith/culture, just because the child thinks he knows well. The parent is not going to FORCE them to go to every church service, activity, etc. etc. It would be up to the child's discretion.

But all in all, I think this is all pointless talk. You can be "open minded" all you want from either side. If your parents are of a certain belief, chances are your kid is going to be too. They are influenced most by their parents, followed by their school/surroundings. If they see you pray, attend church, etc. etc...if you are good parents, it's hard to say these children would not follow in their footsteps. It's hard to separate culture and faith in the real world.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Top Bottom