• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Well, I just got back from my first tourney where I legitimately applied my Ike and it worked. Why, I dunno, but he covers the match-ups that I hate to play as Falco well enough to my satisfaction.
Never would I of seen the day........

@Ussi/Jam: The 4th.....I shall be free and will be able to Soku you two until my heart is content or you two start having to use yuyu to spam for wins :awesome:. Which ever comes first lol.

And happy 22 seasons Nys

Heartstring

Smash Legend
happy birthday nyke!

And because this is probably the wisest board i visit, i have a dilemna and would appreciate some input

Ok, long story short, I've been setting up a smash tournament for early april since november. Only recently people have started to complain about the price of travel to the area. I knew it was expensive but thats only compared to travel within london, which is dirt cheap. I would still have about 40 people come which is enough to cover expenses. At the time it was the only UK event organised.
But recently, Someone else posted a thread with a tournament in birmingham (the biggest city in england behind london) which is only a month after my date. It's going to be cheaper to get to and far larger than mine could hope to achieve. It's going to stop a good portion of people coming to mine because of how much more convenient it is. But mine is already set, All i need to do is pay for the venue (which i do in advance). I've already got all of the TV that i need and already advertised it in places.

The question is, Do i pull out and get away with no losses. Or do i continue with the event and put my trust in the community?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

@Ussi/Jam: The 4th.....I shall be free and will be able to Soku you two until my heart is content or you two start having to use yuyu to spam for wins :awesome:. Which ever comes first lol.

And happy 22 seasons Nys
22 seasons? Happy 81 season is more like it.

happy birthday nyke!

And because this is probably the wisest board i visit, i have a dilemna and would appreciate some input

Ok, long story short, I've been setting up a smash tournament for early april since november. Only recently people have started to complain about the price of travel to the area. I knew it was expensive but thats only compared to travel within london, which is dirt cheap. I would still have about 40 people come which is enough to cover expenses. At the time it was the only UK event organised.
But recently, Someone else posted a thread with a tournament in birmingham (the biggest city in england behind london) which is only a month after my date. It's going to be cheaper to get to and far larger than mine could hope to achieve. It's going to stop a good portion of people coming to mine because of how much more convenient it is. But mine is already set, All i need to do is pay for the venue (which i do in advance). I've already got all of the TV that i need and already advertised it in places.

The question is, Do i pull out and get away with no losses. Or do i continue with the event and put my trust in the community?
Tough decision.. honestly if it were me I'd not go to yours and go to the one that's cheaper.. Its hard for me to make time to go to multiple events frequently. If I had the freedom of going as much as I want, then I'd probably go to both.

So now, how many people are willing to go to both is the question.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I know, however after the events of the last one, and subsequently, all events i play a role in (which is everything since then) usually have a lot of people claiming to be booked, and then just not going

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
How much money you lose last time? Cause if its pretty significant I'd probably cancel it and go to the tourney easier to go too. You could just change your advertisements to the other tourney and try to bring everyone to that one. Ask to cohost?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I lost about 60 pounds ($100) on the first one, However I originally had a lot more support for this one. It all depends on how much hiring the venue is going to cost me. The thing is, Getting to the other event alone is going to cost me the same amount i lost on the original tournament. It's a difficult choice. Plus if this does go as well as i planned and i get a small amount of money, i have funds for WHOBO

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Might as well host it then, just keep advertising it, but just keep in mind this is a gamble, you might lose money still.

Edit: if yOu host it, be confident, a host whose confident will make the event more enjoyable.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The Smash Community is terrible at RSVP'in. Meaning they can flip flop at any given moment. With that being said, you should be looking at the MINIMUM people guaranteed to come in order to see how you would stand financially. If you feel like some of the "maybes" will show up to cover the quota, then I would go through with it. If not, then not worth it.

And I will say, the more guarantees you have, the easier it makes to depend on some "maybes" showing up. For example, if you have 30 guarantees, you are relying heavily on 10 maybes to show up compared to having 39 guarantees and needing only one maybe.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The Smash Community is terrible at RSVP'in. Meaning they can flip flop at any given moment. With that being said, you should be looking at the MINIMUM people guaranteed to come in order to see how you would stand financially. If you feel like some of the "maybes" will show up to cover the quota, then I would go through with it. If not, then not worth it.

And I will say, the more guarantees you have, the easier it makes to depend on some "maybes" showing up. For example, if you have 30 guarantees, you are relying heavily on 10 maybes to show up compared to having 39 guarantees and needing only one maybe.
Yeah i learnt about smash and RSVP last time XD I'm running yugioh alongside it though, because theres one room with almost no power outlets XD Kids will come from the local high school (little brother said they have about 10 people who play it religously at lunchtimes, plus a few in the college section of the school) and cushion the costs.
Still, all depends on how the host goes

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

And happy 22 seasons Nys
Jesus, I had forgotten you existed. How you been?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Happy birthday, Nyke! My mobile attempted to autocorrect your nickname to "Nuke." I lost. Anyways, have a good one, mate!:applejack:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Greedy corporations. The DLC slippery slope is enough thank you very much (yes I believe DLC is a slippery slope to day 1 DLC for content on disc, with content disabled for used game players).

Bad news though. The TV I play brawl on went to some weird default settings so it thinks it's in setup mode. Can't get to the video channel for games. I'll use this time to go through my steam backlog.

I did drop a class though since I was taking 21 credits.. now taking 17 which is manageable.

Happy birthday Nys from Texas.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've stopped buying games and moved onto MMOs.. right now i'm enjoying some league of legends... though its kinda boring just solo queing. I need to find people to que with.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Eh, I have a low level secondary account. I could play some with you and perhaps give pointers, Ussi.

San? "From Texas"?
I would love pointers! For now i just use Annie and Xin Zhao.. Going to buy Gragas next once i get 1k more IP. Thinking of trying one of the champs available for free just to learn something. When do they change the free champs around? Cause if its not soon i'll probably try Cho out.

From the last good game i had (as in teams were evenly matched) i can gank but i'm too foolish and get ganked pretty easily myself.. And i sometimes get myself killed with poor positioning.. Just something i'll probably pick up with exp.

I've also learned while playing Xin Zhao, that range is definitely my style.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Free champ rotation is every week (or two? I hardly pay attention, lol).

I could give tips for both Cho and Gragas. I LOVE Gragas. And Cho is fun too.
Btw Gragas is not a tank in case you're wondering. Build him as a mage.

And I'll also tell you what sort of gameplay habits to pick up in order to prevent being ganked.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh yea i know gragas is a AP mage/carry, when i found out he's got insane range and aoe i was like I'mma get this guy!! I'm hyped to play him. Been trying to play a lot to build IP.

Cho is free for now, so i though i'd try him as a tanky guy.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
It seems like everyone plays LoL these days. I wish my computer could handle it....Or any other game for that matter

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I tried playing LoL on my school's internet and it was a miracle i could land kills, lol. I just play bots after that lagfest just to farm IP

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Thank you san, when I fail out of all of my classes due to lack of sleep and random screams in the middle of the night, I will think of you ^_^

Seriously though, first time I've ever experienced a webcomic doing that to create shock value, and I couldn't keep going (also have a paper to write, but meh).

Top Bottom