• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
The rules on visual hacks vary depending on the region/TO. Up here in NS we allow color scheme textures on characters but not vertex hacks, and no textures on stages at all. It's for the benefit of newcomers and even some regulars who would be confused and/or distracted by stage textures or characters wearing completely different outfits/looking like different characters.

:248:

Helix King

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3909-7925-3850
It's for the benefit of newcomers and even some regulars who would be confused and/or distracted by stage textures or characters wearing completely different outfits/looking like different characters.

I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Getting Distracted by the stage is a lame excuse Soccer players would use.
The only way someone would get confused is if some jerk doesn't TAKE THE SECOND you need to explain:

"It's a cheat to make the game more Fun."

AND DON'T TRY TO PULL UP HANDICAPS. I'm Color Blind with 7/20 vision.

If there's a real reason I'm all ears.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Player 1: "It's a cheat to make the game more Fun."
Player 2: "Okay."
*Chooses stage with pretty colors and flashes several times*
*Player 2 gets seizure*

To avoid this you might have to say more than just "It's a cheat to make the game more Fun." And what about people who don't like texture hacks?

Oh and IIRC, I saw a Boyd hack of Ike (one of Ussi's vids from he bi-weekly I believe). I kept forgetting that Ike uses a sword and not an axe while looking at the axe that came with the Boyd hack, with the axe as as part of the hit box in mind.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
@ Helix King
I'm color blind too. Often times, I ask the other team to be blue or choose blue for my team because the red/green on some characters give me trouble.

And stage hacks can be legitimately distracting. If they're cool enough, that is. I mean, I don't really fall victim to them while playing, but have trouble watching matches without being distracted.

Plus, things like this one SV texture I've seen give me trouble judging how far away the edge of the stage is. In this texture, there's a ladder shown in the background on the right side, and it's easy to find yourself questioning, when action is in the air and the camera doesn't show the ledge of the stage, whether that ladder is a reference point. As the camera moves around the stage, so does the ladder in relative position to the stage. It is legitimately confusing.

tl;dr: I haven't been around to hear the stupidest things you've ever heard in your life, but I'm fairly sure that at least once in your life, somewhere, whether you remember it or not, you've heard dumber things.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
"It's a cheat to make the game more Fun."
This I have to question/disagree with. Vertex hacks on characters and stage textures don't change gameplay at all. They make it more aesthetically pleasing to certain people, obviously those who download the texture for their game. More "fun" is the wrong word to use here I think.

And being distracted by an elaborate stage texture is a legitimate issue. There are stage textures that add 3-dimensional and/or moving objects to the background or even the foreground and alter the colors so drastically the stage is barely recognizable as it's original form. When a player is accustomed to playing on a stage and having it look a certain way, it is subconsciously distracting when that sense of familiarity is taken away.

Also, some stages have textures that can mess with important points of stage knowledge, such as textures on Frigate not allowing the flashing lights to be seen when the stage is about to flip.

Character vertex hacks are even worse because they can exaggerate hurtboxes and hitboxes, such as extending a sword's length past where the hitbox actually ends or re-shaping the character model to be thinner/larger than normal while the hurtboxes remain the same. This can obviously mess with spacing.

Edit: Wow, posting frenzy going on all of a sudden.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Getting Distracted by the stage is a lame excuse Soccer players would use.
There are tons of stage hacks(ones with moving backgrounds) that make me feel dizzy. The background of Lylat Cruise used to do this to me before I became accustomed to it. Even now, the stage change of Pokemon Stadium 1/2 oftentimes make my eyes lose focus whenever all the smoke comes up and the stage shakes.... Plus, sometimes the stage hacks just plain strain my eyes.. I really hate that one red/black colored FD.

Also, there are tons of vertex hacks that actually do freak you out despite not affecting gameplay at all. Go try out the new Cloud vertex hack for Ike that has the accurately sized sword... Ike still has the same range/speed/hitboxes for all of his moves, but the Buster Sword is like 40% longer than the Ragnell is... It really is quite deceptive.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
stage hacks can be distracting. the guy who USUALLY sets his up as the tournament wii had this dodgy texture on battlefield. for me tournament i asked someone else put theirs as tournament wii
its this damn texture. screwed me over first time i ever saw it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFgHC2Mb58
also...please ignore my r.o.b, its terrible XD

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I keep the textures in friendlies, and take the SD card out during tournaments.

I make sure to have textures that aren't overly obtrusive.

Helix King

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3909-7925-3850
1.) The game has a Seizure warning to begin with.

2.) They ARE fun. You know there is a hack you love SOMEWHERE.

3.) ALL of Europe seems to not get distracted. (Yes I'm aware sometimes hacks are put on AFTER the match.) It's really just America, but hey, don't we do this with everything anyway? I thought it was just the Gov. :/

•Col•

Smash Champion
I keep the textures in friendlies, and take the SD card out during tournaments.

I make sure to have textures that aren't overly obtrusive.
^Pretty much this. I use character texture/vertex and stage hacks for friendlies... Not for a tournament match.

Also, I thought of another way character texture hacks actually affect stuff... I've noticed a few texture hacks that make it REALLY hard to notice when a person is airdodging because you can't see the flashing animation(kinda like how it is with G&W's light blue color is right now).

Heartstring

Smash Legend
actually helix youre wrong in this situation
all wii's for large europe tournaments have all hacks off except replay hack. its jsut that when people upload the matches they have the hacks on (as all matches are saved onto someones SD card. who then plugs it into their own wii)
texture hacks are simply not a great idea in tournament

Helix King

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3909-7925-3850
90% of the vids at SSMBGremany and france said they were on.

P.S. I realize I'm coming off as a Jerk, But I'm just so frustrated cuz I try to get all my friends into the brawl scene and they always just say the graphics suck, and go play Street fighter. Then I played with them one day and what do I find but texture hacks. I asked what if brawl had some and they said ok, we play, go to a tourney. They leave cuz of no hacks rule.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
its jsut that when people upload the matches they have the hacks on (as all matches are saved onto someones SD card. who then plugs it into their own wii)
We do the same thing here, and many of our uploaded replays even have sound hacks changing the voices of many characters, but we'd never allow that in tournament. It also just comes down to the fact that a lot of players may not like textures or at least certain textures, while nobody can really complain if the game is left looking like it's meant to look.

Edit: @Helix, texture hacks don't make the graphics any better, Wii still doesn't support HD either way. If those guys are only willing to play Brawl for the texture hacks I doubt they actually enjoy the game and would probably quit pretty soon once they realize gameplay is no different with textures.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
90% of the vids at SSMBGremany and france said they were on.

P.S. I realize I'm coming off as a Jerk, But I'm just so frustrated cuz I try to get all my friends into the brawl scene and they always just say the graphics suck, and go play Street fighter. Then I played with them one day and what do I find but texture hacks. I asked what if brawl had some and they said ok, we play, go to a tourney. They leave cuz of no hacks rule.
if they only want to play for the graphics then theyre obviously going to not play it properly. find some people who want to play for the game, or for fun. they can go enjoy their halo and their other stunning graphics with shoddy gameplay

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie...I get distracted from some stage textures or character textures that are a bit out there. For example, I have a "snow" texture on Delfino Plaza, and the screen definitely feels a bit more "covered" with all the snow flying around everywhere.

It's really not hard to put your SD card back ina fterwards and upload them that way lol.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Helix. I read through each of your posts and they all make so little sense, I didn't bother reading them again to make sense of them.

Where does government come in with Brawl stage hacks?

Also, I'm sorry your friends are such shallow gamers who literally don't play a game because of its colors.
That's not our fault, though, so shhhhhh.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So, Unity Rule Set is now 7 neutrals, and a 2-3-1 striking system. Castle Siege and PS1 were added.

Huzzah, If I wanted to be a jerk, I could make my opponents never play FD, SV, or BF first round! :D At a minimum, I would strike FD and SV.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I would be striking FD, SV, and YI:B, of course.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I would be striking FD, SV, and YI:B, of course.
Ditto.

7 starters is an improvement but I still don't think FD should be in there, and IMO they should add a few CPs and allow 2 bans. But I'm very liberal when it comes to stages and they selected a lot of conservative TOs for the BBR-RC.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I like YI:B :|

But it depends against who..

Well i'm gonna say lets enjoy not starting on BF always xD still half the time though, but i like CPin BF

:phone:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
PS1, Lylat, BF, and Castle Siege can guarantee easier wins than YI:B.

Behind on castle siege? Be gay and just bthrow dash attack them on the second transformation.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I find spacing on YI tricky with that stupid platform. You sometimes land on it or can't get under it without short-hopping and so you're limited in some ways. I dunno, I just always find spacing my aerials trickier and more tedious on YI than like BF or SV. Plus Jab can miss short characters on the slopes, and I don't like the walls on either side for recovering.

I used to dislike Lylat Cruise but I don't really mind it anymore. The ledges used to frustrate me I guess.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
vs. diddy i'd probably try and go battlefield as always. then throw bananas on the top platform. if he ever goes for it i can go and hit him
scrubby theroy tactics anyway

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I like the ledge slant and the moving platform at times. I don't mind SV at all I just like the other stages better; besides FD and YI obviously.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
FD is so boring, I lose pretty much all interest when I'm playing on it. If a stage is entirely static it at least needs platforms to mix it up a bit. Plus it seems so old-fashioned and childish in my mind; probably because my brother and I played every single Melee match and almost every Brawl match we ever had on FD before I started playing competitively.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
This this just crossed my mind: We Breverse aether and QD right? It might prove a bit useful.

Noesis: Aether can potentially kill snake when he flies to high and comes down with a grenade in hand.

Top Bottom