• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Kid said he was free to come over today, so if you're free as well give him a call to see if he can pick you up (or whatever you guys did last time).

Too bad there aren't any neat glitches for being hit out of Aether. I'd love to see Ike's sword just get stuck in the air while you still fight.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Kid said he was free to come over today, so if you're free as well give him a call to see if he can pick you up (or whatever you guys did last time).

Too bad there aren't any neat glitches for being hit out of Aether. I'd love to see Ike's sword just get stuck in the air while you still fight.
At first I was like: "But then we can't fight."
And then I was like: "Oh yeah... jab."

But then, what would be the point of the sword just floating there? Edge guard is all that comes to mind, nothing else really.

You guys make me feel like regretting not going to RIT. Oh well, still sticking to my first choice from last year. Wish I could play you guys over Wifi but lag would just smack us around and get high tier placement.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
imagine if when you got hit out of aether, you got your sword back, but the hitbox for the aeither you got hit out of stayed there for the rest of the match, no-one would ever come near us on the edge XD

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
ike can kill without a sword too.
1. jab em till 200
2. don't forget to get some grabs and chaingrabs aswell.
3. once they're at around 200, do the dthrow
4. ?????
5. PROFIT

:phone: :phone:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
ike can kill without a sword too.
1. jab em till 200
2. don't forget to get some grabs aswell.
3. once they're at around 200, do the dthrow
4. ?????
5. PROFIT

:phone:
Dat ain't Snake.

Question: Does anyone know what's so risky about jumping in front of Ike's QD recovery to intercept it? I don't see people do it a lot, even when they're at low percents. It's like they're scared of it or something. I dunno.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You have to commit a little bit to jump in front of QD. There are also times where even if you jump in front, Ike will grab the edge anyways. It's easier to wait and try to punish him at times.

@Berserker Swordsman- friends are over but I would deff be ok to play sometime this week if you aren't too busy.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Todays BDay has been so tiring -_-, stuck pampering my bloody nephew by playing Castle Crashers and other various games. Neglecting my own practice on Blaze, AH3, and Brawl..... Well least I get a eroge out of all this XD

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Todays BDay has been so tiring -_-, stuck pampering my bloody nephew by playing Castle Crashers and other various games. Neglecting my own practice on Blaze, AH3, and Brawl..... Well least I get a eroge out of all this XD
It's your birthday? Happy Birthday! and stuff.

With QD, I actually had an Ike ditto on wifi and I managed to air dodge into the QD before he could reach the ledge. Then again, why are we recovering with QD in the first place?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I enjoy brawl more. Still play melee every now and then at smashfests/tournaments.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Why would we welcome you again when you're always welcome here?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Brett needs to give us his story of his trip =)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Hmmm.

I saw pretty much everything important to tourists in London and Paris.

Visited Chopin's grave-- no lie, got a little choked up as one of his nocturnes played in my head.
Notre Dame cathedral is the most beautiful building ever.
A pigeon flew into my head.
I ordered a large portion of fish and chips in London called The Codfather. I wasn't hungry and ordered it only for the pun. Then they said if I finished it, I would get a certificate or whatever. So naturally, I saw it as a man challenge and ate it all. It was pretty easy considering it wasn't much bigger than an average American meal, lol.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
Lol, a pigeon flying into your head. Beak first or its talons? Anyway, did you get to visit the Musée du Louvre? I only ask because I read this book that talks about a lot and makes it sound interesting.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I did. There are literally miles of hallways lined with art in that place. I saw Mona Lisa up close. It really does seem as though she looks at you no matter where you are in the room. I think it has to do with the angle at which her head is turned as much as it does eye position.

The pigeon-- neither claws nor beak. The real impact felt like a wing.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nice Brett.

Been trying to discover some things in Brawl.

Making Progress towards mastering:

-Aerial QD cancel

-Delayed jab1, delayed jab2, jab cancel, combat walk mixups

-Nair from ledge

-Bair from the ledge

-Dash attack after bthrow: NOT based on timing when to dash + Cstick, but how far apart in time you dash and you cstick. To do it correctly 100% of the time, time Cstick down ever so slightly after your dash input.

-Nair frame traps, especially after low % dthrow

-Delayed bair, nair. Retreating bair when you're landing is actually pretty safe

-Offstage aerials against opponents trying to return. All aerials are usable. Fair is imo the best to use. Dair is easy against opponents who
air dodge. Bair is very very quick. Uair is a really good mixup (ex. out of their double jump) that kills really early when they're recovering high.

New Quirks that are nice:

-Uair has almost as much combo potential as nair at very low %s

-Spacings of nair where you hit the opponent and land as soon as possible (hopefully on the same frame) Leads to things like nair->dtilt at low percents I believe, nair-> aether may work too

-Trying to get nair to hit right when you reach the ground is different for short and tall characters. Short characters are harder

-On platforms, Nair to fall through bair is great. Use it. Actually, fall through bair is great against opponents on platforms in general!

-Ftilt angled up: shortest horizontal reach. Ftilt default: regular horizontal reach. Ftilt angled down: greatest horizontal reach

-Ike's jab1 outranges MK's fair and bair

-Ike's jab2 outranges snake's ftilt1, most of MK's moveset. jab2 barely outranges MK's dtilt but there is a good chance for dtilt to interrupt jab2. Jab3 outranges dtilt by a large margin

New Quirks that have potential:
-Grounded B-reverse QD. It is surprisingly quick. This is used to QD on the ground behind you at any time while you're running. Good against people about to chase you. I think this has the potential to be a very nice mixup.

-Ike fast shield/regrab after bthrow/fthrow. It's a pretty complicated input
1st: initiate throw
2nd: Buffer dash by flicking the control stick and returning to the neutral position while throwing
3rd: Hold the direction of the dash right when you see yourself dash
4th: Dash Shield Canceled grab (or just dash shield)
This lets you get close to your opponent really quickly. You need to flick your control stick in the same direction twice.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Nair from ledge is fun.
The way you play, with jump on L, it should be easy for you.
Bair from ledge how? Immediately? On someone who's offstage?

That Bthrow-DA tip should be old news, but, k.

I like the quirks, but outranging stuff-- those ones just don't seem practical enough.
I think we need to Jab-fallthrough Bair on platforms more... I catch myself instinctively doing Utilt or finishing the jabs too much when I could have done the Bair.

I'll re-readthis post later for this fast regrab stuff.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've noticed that b-air connecting on people at fresh stocks (between 0-10% or something like that) will result in getting counter-attacked right afterward. If you wish to use b-air on a person at low percentages, make sure that you use a retreating b-air, as that will minimize the chance of you getting hit. Same thing goes for QD. Don't use it against people who have low percentages. It just leaves Ike wide open.

Since I've been playing MvC3 a lot, I've been looking into stuff that works if characters use certain moves. Also, I've been playing other characters in brawl as well. Unfortunately, that means I highly doubt I'll be soloing Ike in the next bracket matches.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
o.o so much serious talk i feel like i'm being offtopic with this post... (but its a social)

I was playing one of the Naruto fighting games and my friend got really mad i was looking at his controller to do Chidori (with Kakashi) so i would do it in the right direction in the beginning. He caught on and mind gamed me switching at the last second (which resulted in chidori failing) and he started spewing words on how i was being so cheap :/

Casual gaming at its finest

Nair > aether piques my interest

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Bair from the ledge is just ledge release, hop and bair. It maintains invincibility and goes through pretty much anything. It can be used to kill and edgeguard with reverse aether. It works on characters like olimar really well.

Nair-> aether isn't that important, it's just that nair gives us quite a nice frame advantage, enough to get away with lots of stuff. Nair on shield keeps getting punished because we hit the shield when we're still high above the ground.

Bthrow DA timing shouldn't be new news, just trying to help people who can't get it down 100% including me. I'm now confident enough to use it at the full ~20-~80% spectrum now.

The delayed jab+jab cancel + combat walk helps get like 30+% easily on people without invincible upBs.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bowser (lol) and Marth have invincibilty Up B...

Though Wolf and Fox can jump shine if they have fast fingers in theory..

Still nice for making people waste their jump

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was thinking stuff like Marth and Sonic. The others are too crappy to do much.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I forgot about Sonic.. Marth is really the only one that hurts. But if we bait Marth's up B its severe punishment..

Heartstring

Smash Legend
so i appear and i see talk of using aether in combo's XD
so yeah, what am i meant to do when im in my shield and i have someone floating about above my head and in front of me
theyll just wear my shield down till its at breaking point, theyre too high to get hit by jab, and i cant bair oos because theyre in front of me
do i have to roll away or something?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@G-P I usually try to roll away and reset the situation. It then become very obvious, and the opponent will commit to punish your roll (for example, marth trying to advance and lan with fair where you would end your roll). You can now stay in your shield or roll under or try to jab.
/Or you can just try to dash under/away.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@GP retreating OoS fair should hit high enough

Pivot bair does no exist OoS or it takes 23 frames to do (7 + 1 + 8 + 7)....

Surprisingly thats faster than OoS fair xD

OoS uair maybe o.O if they are that high so they fall into it...

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
lol I was having fun here with a marth player by retreating my fair to beat his fair. His habit of SH advancing fair to tipper me was pissing him off.

It's not that hard actually. Just Jump + Back + Fair and its like a guaranteed on Marth trying to tipper with his fair. Ofcourse it didn't work every time but most of the time. Wish Ike had a tipper. Not that he needs any but still.

Top Bottom